ADVERTISEMENT

Since this is Archie's first year

Thanks so much for the clear description and the hard work. Was wondering, without digging into it in depth...how does it take into consideration the difficult schedule? I think Archie is doing better than I had expected, minimizing that in the beginning ISU & Ft Wayne games were devastating...which I had not expected. I had hoped they would be a bubble team and...they might just be. So I am not at all sad about the year. (Given IU should never be in this position...but it is and the threes suck and the free throws are an historical low.)

My rating system doesn't factor in schedule at all. However, once I have my pre-season ratings all finished, I plug those ratings into IU's schedule to find projected pointspreads and win probabilities. Then, on Feb. 2 or so, I do it over again based on my FEB Ratings.

Basically, with a healthy Hartman and ready to breakout sophs in Deron and Cujo, the pre-season ratings had IU winning 21.6 games overall (we'll just say 21) with a rounded up 12-6 Big Ten record. Now that the FEB Ratings have those 3 players eliminated from the Top 8 minute earners, IU comes in at approx. 17 wins overall with an 8-10 expected conference record.

It seems that IU still has a shot to equal the adjusted expectations even with the 2 unfathomable losses. If there is a troubling thing, it is that IU only seemed to move forward after Deron was lost. I seriously doubt that this team was ever going to reach the 21 wins even with Davis, Jones and a healthy Hartman.

I also wonder why McRob only got 55 minutes the first 10 games, but overall I'm pleased because I see the direction of the defense of the pack-line, of which I have been pining for several years.

How the hell has Tom Allen been a train wreck? See, this is why no one takes you seriously. It’s one thing to express concerns. But you don’t do that. You go completely over the top. The guy went 5-7 in his first year. They blew a ton of leads. The two seasons prior to him taking over were both 6-6, and they blew a ton of leads. It was essentially the same team. He also just hauled in a really good recruiting class. THAT’S a trainwreck? For Indiana freaking Football? We’ve been to 11 bowls in 125 years. I guess I’m going to need you to define “trainwreck” for me.

Also, Archie took over a 7-11 conference team that lost in the NIT first round and then lost its 3 best players. The roster is...bad. He’s done fine. Maybe if you’d watch and look for what they’re trying to do and look at the bigger picture instead of getting on here and boasting about how you DEMAND EXCELLENCE on the internet, you’d actually calm down and learn to enjoy sports in some capacity.
Don’t you and the other interns in the AD have other stuff to do because fearlessly defend your boss SB Fred and his coaches all the time on internet message boards? Or is that your “job”?

Last edited:
A train wreck? Are you kidding me with this? You have always had an agenda against Allen. Archie could fall flat on his face and you’d praise him. As first year coaches, they both have had challenges.
Allen didn’t get blown out by any teams they were expected to beat.

I know you are Wilson’s biggest cheerleader (who blew several games) and yet your leash for Allen is like a choker collar.
Allen inherited the best program we’ve had in decades. WIth 16 starters returning including QB. Just don’t completely run the train off the tracks and you win 6-8 games easily year 1.

Instead, he derailed the train and I’m afraid it will take people too long to wake up to reality. It certainly did with the Crean cult, of which you and RBB89 were both a member of. I know...shocker.

Reactions: snarlcakes
This season isn't on Archie at all. It's on surfboard Fred for not canning the Clapper after year 7.

Allen inherited the best program we’ve had in decades. WIth 16 starters returning including QB. Just don’t completely run the train off the tracks and you win 6-8 games easily year 1.

Instead, he derailed the train and I’m afraid it will take people too long to wake up to reality. It certainly did with the Crean cult, of which you and RBB89 were both a member of. I know...shocker.

Well...that’s why you aren’t any good at football analysis: you actually cited IU’s returning QB as a source of strength for the squad Allen inherited.
Shows you don’t know the impact of a good signal caller. Smh.

And, while IU was losing games with Wilson, not a peep from you.
Don’t quit your day job, which is negative propaganda to advance whatever weird vendetta you have against Allen.

Oh, and your revisionist history with the “I’m the only guy in the room who can see what’s going to happen here” on the whole Crean era is funny as hell.

Clearly, clearly it was time to part ways with Crean. But, I’m mature enough to not hate the guy. You are the type that develops some weird obsession over him after he has gone. You were the only guy on the boards saying his hire was a mistake on day #1? Laughable. You willing to give back both Big Ten titles and beating #1 UK due to your own self serving pride?
Mmm hmmm....I bet you are.

See that’s the difference between you and most rational fans:
We have the intelligence and maturity to recognize some good things did actually happen under Crean, even with his weird idiosyncrasies. You, on the other hand, develop some weird type of obsession with coaches you don’t like and you dwell on it and bring it up again and again.

This is why someone like yourself would not be allowed anywhere near an athletic program.

Well...that’s why you aren’t any good at football analysis: you actually cited IU’s returning QB as a source of strength for the squad Allen inherited.

Don’t quit your day job, which is negative propaganda to advance whatever weird vendetta you have against Allen.

Oh, and your revisionist history with the “I’m the only guy in the room who can see what’s going to happen here” on the whole Crean era is funny as hell.

Clearly, clearly it was time to part ways with Crean. But, I’m mature enough to not hate the guy. You are the type that develops some weird obsession over him after he has gone. You were the only guy on the boards saying his hire was a mistake on day #1? Laughable. You willing to give back both Big Ten titles and beating #1 UK due to your own self serving pride?

We have the intelligence and maturity to recognize some good things did actually happen under Crean, even with his weird idiosyncrasies. You, on the other hand, develop some weird type of obsession with coaches you don’t like and you dwell on it and bring it up again and again.

This is why someone like yourself would not be allowed anywhere near an athletic program.
You’re saying 9 years of Crean was worth it because of a regular season win over UK and a couple Big Ten titles? Are you sure you’re not a Purdue fan?

And Wilson had no problem winning with that liability of a QB. A year younger too. In fact he had the #2 passing offense and #3 total offense in the Big Ten with that QB.

If you think it was bad with Lagow wait until you see a full year with Ramsey at QB.

You’re good at insults, not so much at facts or being rational.

You’re saying 9 years of Crean was worth it because of a regular season win over UK and a couple Big Ten titles? Are you sure you’re not a Purdue fan?

And Wilson had no problem winning with that liability of a QB. A year younger too. In fact he had the #2 passing offense and #3 total offense in the Big Ten with that QB.

If you think it was bad with Lagow wait until you see a full year with Ramsey at QB.

You’re good at insults, not so much at facts or being rational.

First, Wilson had to pull out a struggling Lagow and install a 2-game Big Bacon package to win in 2016. You also conveniently left out despite putting up offensive numbers, Wilson’s team was horrific in the red zone, you know the part of the game where you have to actually score?

Wilson’s 2016 season was saved by the improvement in the defense.or he was staring down the barrel of a 3-4 win season.

As far as Crean goes, I’m intelligent enough to recognize that there were some successful points, even if it didn’t work out in the long term. Of course, I forget that you are the resident psychic on this board and can predict every outcome.

Not a peep from you during the years that Cody and crew did have success.

First, Wilson had to pull out a struggling Lagow and install a 2-game Big Bacon package to win in 2016. You also conveniently left out despite putting up offensive numbers, Wilson’s team was horrific in the red zone, you know the part of the game where you have to actually score?

Wilson’s 2016 season was saved by the improvement in the defense.or he was staring down the barrel of a 3-4 win season.

As far as Crean goes, I’m intelligent enough to recognize that there were some successful points, even if it didn’t work out in the long term. Of course, I forget that you are the resident psychic on this board and can predict every outcome.

Not a peep from you during the years that Cody and crew did have success.
So the only thing that matters on offense is how many points you score? Not controlling the game, time of possession, rest for your defense, none of that matters? Ok

And I was saying plenty during Cody’s years. Both good and bad. Good during the regular season and bad when they crapped out in the tourney.

And I was one of the two or three posters calling for Stevens after year 3. People like you thought we were the idiots. Oh the irony.

Reactions: IUgradman

Making an observation on how a coach is performing and coming to the conclusion they are not a good coach, is not a vendetta. You have used this same lazy logic before. Fpeaugh was one of the first posters to point out Crean isn't the guy and that we should move on. He was correct. Instead of attacking him for it, you should actually pay more attention to his observations. I don't always agree with him, but I pay attention to posters like him and others because they tend to be correct the most.

As for Allen, I don't have a strong opinion of him one way or the other, yet. I thought early on in the season IU looked good and played very physical football (mostly on defense) , which is what I am most concerned with. A lot of people get caught up on the QB position, but good teams are fundamentally sound on defense and strong up front on the lines.

A few concerns from the season:
-struggled in the running game
-I thought the offense wasn't very creative
-record (I thought we would win 6-8 games)
-Purdue game. To put it bluntly, they kicked our a@$ up front.

I am personally tepid on Allen. My biggest worry is that he did underperform this year and we witnessed his ceiling. In fairness to Allen the first season isn't a good predictive measure for future results.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT