ADVERTISEMENT

Simmie Cobbs?

This sounds fishy. I'm not going to get down on Cobb just yet.

"Cobbs was booked into Hamilton County Jail at 10:24 p.m. and charged with Refusal to Identify, a Class B misdemeanor, and Resisting Law Enforcement, a Class A misdemeanor. The refusal to identify charge came at 9:13 p.m. ET Saturday, while the resisting law enforcement charge came at 12:25 p.m."​

Failure to Identify? Resisting? In Hamilton County?

I'm thinking they might be teaching that boy a lesson. There may have been a failure to communicate.

Totally ridiculous,had been suspended prior to this.
It's not that hard to stay out of trouble, just don't understand kids these days.
Time to put an end to this crap,forget the suspension and get rid of these guys.
If it is proven he is guilty of course,just way too much of this stuff going on at all schools.

The arrest was reportedly at a Jason Aldean concert in Noblesville.

I don't want to rush to judgment, but it's almost as though someone needs to remind these guys every single day (particularly guys who have previously been suspended) that they are getting a free college education at a great University - - an incredible privilege that most kids (and their parents) can only dream about. In return, all they need to do is work hard and stay out of trouble. Doesn't seem like that's too much to ask.

Reactions: Sassy61
The arrest was reportedly at a Jason Aldean concert in Noblesville.
...In return, all they need to do is work hard and stay out of trouble. Doesn't seem like that's too much to ask.
Could be ol' Simmie might need to learn his place.

Reactions: RBB89
UN freaking believeable

I have spoken with him twice and both times he was as polite and solicitous as could be.

Busted at a country music concert in Nobletucky....unreal.

Update: he was arrested for not clearing the aisle fast enough for Nobletucky Deputy Barney Fife and then refusing to identify himself. Glad Barney didn't shoot him.

Last edited:
Totally ridiculous,had been suspended prior to this.
It's not that hard to stay out of trouble, just don't understand kids these days.
Time to put an end to this crap,forget the suspension and get rid of these guys.
If it is proven he is guilty of course,just way too much of this stuff going on at all schools.
It sounds like he kind of got screwed here.

Reactions: CC Mac
I've always said that many of the best players aren't always the most "behaved" guys. They almost all seem to have that edge to them, that chip. They just don't let people f$&@ with them, even members of authority.

That's the risk with many of these top notch guys. And, many, many schools from FSU to OSU have found creative ways to keep them around. The "U" Miami darn near perfected minimizing it.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to him. Young people make some of the dumbest decisions, it's frustrating. Some of the decisions I made at that age scare the hell out of me now...I'm serious.

Reactions: ESalum86
It'll be interesting to see what happens to him. Young people make some of the dumbest decisions, it's frustrating. Some of the decisions I made at that age scare the hell out of me now...I'm serious.
He was arrested for not clearing the aisle at a concert. He's 21, so any alcohol he purchased was done legally.

He was arrested for not clearing the aisle at a concert. He's 21, so any alcohol he purchased was done legally.

To me, it seems weird that concert security detained him rather than just ejecting him from the concert for simply being in an aisle. And why would he need to provide ID and take a breathalyzer for just not getting out of an aisle?

Clearly, we may not be getting the full story of why he was detained to begin with, he may been visibly intoxicated and belligerent with security, but initial descriptions don't seem to indicate this. Taking reports at face value, it seems he only became confrontational after the being in the security office, in which case he probably felt that he was being unfairly singled out and didn't understand why he was being detained.

I could easily see this scenario stemming security saying "Alright you need to come with us" and Cobbs following these directions, but not anticipating that he's going to be detained, resulting him getting upset and agitated when he is.

Last edited:
I think we need to allow for the possibility of a security officer with a bad attitude causing this. I'm totally withholding judgement.

Reactions: Indiana66
He probably did something wrong. He probably continued to quit something he'd been asked not to, or refused to do something he had been asked to do.
I doubt even 1% of males in the state would know or recognize Simmie Cobb, so I doubt anyone 'had it out for him'.

Probably made a bad decision and is regretting his actions already.

I think we need to allow for the possibility of a security officer with a bad attitude causing this. I'm totally withholding judgement.
Far more likely that he ignored multiple requests to comply and then became belligerent when he was questioned about it. You have to work to get arrested at something like this, and it sounds like his efforts were rewarded.

You're right, and my initial reaction was probably an overreaction. In the whole scheme of things, this is hardly the worst trouble someone could be in. The timing certainly stinks, though.

I guess what I'm about to say qualifies me for Captain Obvious status, but the only people who know what happened were the people who were there.

The only other comment I'll make is that, if you've already been through a suspension, it's particularly important to be squeaky clean.

There will be other comments from people nearby who saw it.
Yep, and in typical anonymous posting mode, there will probably be comments from people who were a thousand miles away who claim to have seen it and others who falsely claim to have first-hand knowledge of what went down.

Yep, and in typical anonymous posting mode, there will probably be comments from people who were a thousand miles away who claim to have seen it and others who falsely claim to have first-hand knowledge of what went down.

Lol it was a country concert so there will be some PU grads claiming he was swinging a bat.

Reactions: Bowlmania
a couple unrelated random facts:

• Richard Lagow mentioned via tweet about being at this concert. Not sure if they went together, but seems probable.
  • Lagow tweeted during the evening of the concert "Racism is still alive" and has since deleted tweet. May be unrelated to events at concert, but definitely grabbed my attention when I saw that.
  • I fully support police officers and what they do, however, they also make mistakes and can at times go overboard. ie. i know a young girl arrested for resisting for simply not "freezing immediately" on demand. I also know a young man that was underage drinking at a tailgate and excise tried to detain 10 kids at same time and he kept walking prompting excise to tackle him and charge with resisting and battery. Sometimes police make irrational decisions too.

Sounds like he was standing in an aisle while under the influence at a concert. Not like he was driving under the influence. Or hitting his girlfriend while under the influence. Or shoplifting. Or selling heroin. Or having sex with underage girls.

Sounds like he was standing in an aisle while under the influence at a concert. Not like he was driving under the influence. Or hitting his girlfriend while under the influence. Or shoplifting. Or selling heroin. Or having sex with underage girls.
There's been no indication that I'm aware of that he was "under the influence". No public intoxication or disorderly conduct or anything of that nature. He was charged with failure to to identify and resisting arrest. Those are code for "uppity".

There's been no indication that I'm aware of that he was "under the influence". No public intoxication or disorderly conduct or anything of that nature. He was charged with failure to to identify and resisting arrest. Those are code for "uppity".
Those are code for not following the commands of law enforcement. Based on what's known, it was dumb and unnecessary of Simms. He should be smarter, especially since he's already been in trouble.

Once upon a time...when I was just a boy...I got in trouble...fair or unfair...I was in trouble.

I learned how to stay out of trouble.

Reactions: Sassy61
a couple unrelated random facts:
  • Richard Lagow mentioned via tweet about being at this concert. Not sure if they went together, but seems probable.
  • Lagow tweeted during the evening of the concert "Racism is still alive" and has since deleted tweet. May be unrelated to events at concert, but definitely grabbed my attention when I saw that.
Really interested to hear if there is anything to the Lagow tweets and whether he witnessed the incident(s). If there is nothing more to this than what is public right now, I agree with MTIOTF's post on the premium board saying that the discipline should be touch all the steps in Memorial Stadium by 4:00. Excuse me for getting a bit maudlin but I would love to see Lagow, first, and then others decide on their own to run them with him in solidarity. Turn a negative into a positive.

Reactions: MyTeamIsOnTheFloor
Once upon a time...when I was just a boy...I got in trouble...fair or unfair...I was in trouble.

I learned how to stay out of trouble.
I feel it is very important to teach children, and young men, to walk with their heads down and to accept being treated unfairly because it is better to be a kiss ass to those with a little bit of power.

Reactions: UncleMark and RBB89
Those are code for not following the commands of law enforcement. Based on what's known, it was dumb and unnecessary of Simms. He should be smarter, especially since he's already been in trouble.
So he failed to identify himself and resisted arrested yet committed no other chargeable offense? lol, ok bro. Also, this is not a black white thing this is how cops treat everyone like crap just that white folks get off on it even when done to other white folks.

So he failed to identify himself and resisted arrested yet committed no other chargeable offense? lol, ok bro. Also, this is not a black white thing this is how cops treat everyone like crap just that white folks get off on it even when done to other white folks.
Yours is the lament of over-protective parents and excuse makers everywhere. Getting arrested at something like this is extremely difficult if you simply behave like an adult. Doesn't mean you can't have fun but there's usually a reason that the same people get in trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT