ADVERTISEMENT

Shocking -- Izzo takes a mediocre talented team to the sweet 16 again

Watched the MSU game before ours. No way that MSU team has more talent than we do but they block out and control the tempo of the game. They solidly run their offense. CMW has a lot of work to do this off season.
Izzi who i hate just knows how to win in the ncaa..

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Watched the MSU game before ours. No way that MSU team has more talent than we do but they block out and control the tempo of the game. They solidly run their offense. CMW has a lot of work to do this off season.
Your not wrong...Indiana doesn't have a tournament team..Next yr imo. Without really good portal help..
We're gonna see if CMW can really coach next yr..

Should be interesting to see- many speculating that izzo is retiring after this season.

His 19th sweet 16. We can say all we want about Izzo, but dude can flat out coach and gets it done when it matters.

Last edited:
I keep reading about IU being "more talented." I don't see it. Yes, TJD is a premiere talent, but who else? Maybe JHS, but he is young, inconsistent and flawed. What else did you see that makes you believe IU was so talented? I mean, are guards beat a team twice that got torched by a default 16 seed with D2 transfers. So what.

I keep reading about IU being "more talented." I don't see it. Yes, TJD is a premiere talent, but who else? Maybe JHS, but he is young, inconsistent and flawed. What else did you see that makes you believe IU was so talented? I mean, are guards beat a team twice that got torched by a default 16 seed with D2 transfers. So what.
JHS was 8-22. He and Kopp tried to play hero when IU finally got a slim lead. That and Galloway unable to make that lay up by not protecting the ball from the d while going up hurt IU's momentum. But I'm giving credit to Miami-they don't fold and keep right at it. Jackson-Davis was the lone bright spot out there. The whole front line is gone. If Johnson doesn't get another year,that's another blow. I look for 2-3 guys to transfer. I hope Reneau works to get better and better this summer as he is gonna be needed. At this point,Leal and Duncomb would have to have a 180 degree turnaround. Gunn needs to put up 500 shots in practice and they all need free throw work. Galloway was horrendous at the line. We will see if Woodson can evaluate portal bigs and a shooter. If not IU is a 7-13 BT team.

Not shocking, he does it every year. His teams play best in March. Always.

What I also saw was they did it with literally no scoring bigs. That kid from Mali plays D but has no offensive game. Hall did nothing on offense. Houser hustles his tail off. They have 3 guards that are solid that bascially won them the game. What they did is execute on D and ran their offense (what we did not do last night or consistently this season). Trace is head and shoulders better than any of them. JHS more talented than any of those guards but immature, inconsistent and less disciplined. Malik is even better than any of their bigs. They play as a team with a solid offense and you rarely get rebounds against them...ever.

Izzi who i hate just knows how to win in the ncaa..
I don't understand the hate for Izzo. He's a great coach and very nice guy (very approachable--met/saw him at his Italian lunch spot). I don't think he was involved as much as people think with the evil doctor. That guy was a con artist scumbag as was the local gymnastics coach who took himself out at the rest area before being arrested.

The thing is yes miami was far mor athletic than us but you can still win these games with smart tough team ball. How did princeton beat arizona? How did drake lead miami up until the very end? How did Furman beat Virginia? The bottom line is IU is just a very soft team without a killer attitude needed to win in the NCAA.

I don't understand the hate for Izzo. He's a great coach and very nice guy (very approachable--met/saw him at his Italian lunch spot). I don't think he was involved as much as people think with the evil doctor. That guy was a con artist scumbag as was the local gymnastics coach who took himself out at the rest area before being arrested.
By
ROSEMONT, Ill. -- Michigan State coach Tom Izzo forcefully defended his handling of a series of sexual and physical assault allegations made against his players in recent years while also pushing back against media coverage of him and his program.

IZZO SAYS HE NEVER TRIED TO COVER UP SEX ASSAULT ALLEGATIONS​

Updated Mar. 4, 2020 2:40 p.m. EST
share on facebook
FACEBOOK
share on twitter
TWITTER
share on reddit
REDDIT
share on link
LINK
ROSEMONT, Ill. (AP) — Michigan State coach Tom Izzo insisted Thursday he was never part of an effort to cover up allegations of sexual misconduct within the school's athletic department.

Reactions: Indyhorn
Your not wrong...Indiana doesn't have a tournament team..Next yr imo. Without really good portal help..
We're gonna see if CMW can really coach next yr..
I know PU lost and we all had a good time with it. But do you see PU as having a culture? They get 3 to 4 yr players a lot of them from Indiana and they win at least in the regular season. What is Indiana's culture right now? What are we known for? If we have to get help then that is not a culture but just trying to survive.

I know PU lost and we all had a good time with it. But do you see PU as having a culture? They get 3 to 4 yr players a lot of them from Indiana and they win at least in the regular season. What is Indiana's culture right now? What are we known for? If we have to get help then that is not a culture but just trying to survive.
Florida. our best football players come from Florida as well.

Izzo forges successful teams in March.

1. He nearly always plays a brutal preconf schedule. That often helps his NCAA profile, but obviously also prepares his kids well for the B10, and exposes them early on to what NCAA games will be like.

2. More importantly, Izzo demands solid defense and rebounding. If you can play solid, physical defense, and make teams shoot over you...and then follow it up with winning the boards, that's the single best recipe for March success. It was the Villanova way, it was the Baylor way when they won it, it was the Pitino way all those years he was successful, and its always been the Izzo way. And it just works in March.

If I were a college coach, I'd spend 3/4 of my preseason and practice time on defense and rebounding. Especially if I were able to recruit talented, high level kids, like he can to MSU.

I have had to get the sad out today. One thing helped was my wife says, "Van, they are giving away free ice cream cones at Dairy Queen." I immediately went to the car and now I feel better.
She probably calls DQ and prepays for the ice cream to get you out of the house., And tips them based on how long they can keep you there.

Mostly agree. I would not say that IU is more talented overall than Sparty.

Reactions: indy1203
JHS was 8-22. He and Kopp tried to play hero when IU finally got a slim lead. That and Galloway unable to make that lay up by not protecting the ball from the d while going up hurt IU's momentum. But I'm giving credit to Miami-they don't fold and keep right at it. Jackson-Davis was the lone bright spot out there. The whole front line is gone. If Johnson doesn't get another year,that's another blow. I look for 2-3 guys to transfer. I hope Reneau works to get better and better this summer as he is gonna be needed. At this point,Leal and Duncomb would have to have a 180 degree turnaround. Gunn needs to put up 500 shots in practice and they all need free throw work. Galloway was horrendous at the line. We will see if Woodson can evaluate portal bigs and a shooter. If not IU is a 7-13 BT team.
I heard our players dont practice free throws.

• Haha
Reactions: 8Stars5Banners
She probably calls DQ and prepays for the ice cream to get you out of the house., And tips them based on how long they can keep you there.
Surprisedyour wife doesn't call the cops for you to get arrested on public intox so she could be rid of you.

Reactions: ulrey
Not shocking, he does it every year. His teams play best in March. Always
If I am not mistaken his last 6 tourneys are as follows

21-22 Lost 2nd round
20-21 Lost in the first 4
18-19 FF
17-18 Lost in round 2
16-17 Lost in round 2
15-16 Lost in round 1

The narrative about MSU being great in March is more historical than recent. This is only the 2nd time since 2015-16 they have played in the second weekend. They were 7-6 in their last 13 tourney games before these 2, which most programs would take in a heartbeat, but when he was 44-17 in the tourney prior this is a dry spell for them.

Again, Izzo in March HISTORICALLY has been really really good, but they have been average overall in their last 6 tournaments

Reactions: ulrey
I watched K-State over the weekend and I think MSU’s run stops Thursday.

You’re right, I see all the time on here where people think IU has more talent than most of the B1G. First of all, the B1G is lacking in talent compared to the SEC and Big 12 anyway, but IU only has one superstar and a top freshman, but after that the rest of the starters would find it tough to start for any of the other B1G teams, except for Minnesota and Nebraska, perhaps.

As most of us realized Sunday, this program needs a serious talent upgrade. At least much better athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT