ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ update, August 2018

Well, I don’t necessarily agree. There was very little undulations in the fairways and none in the greens. In addition to water (absolutely required) and lots of interesting bunkers they would have needed to build a lot more interest in the fairways and add some well needed length as well as rebuilding all the greens.

How do you know the new design won’t come close? Let’s let them get it in and play it a few times before we make that decision. With that said, I did talk with Sam Charmichel about it and he is also skeptical. ;)

so what did Sam have to say about it?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Some of the exterior precast sections are going up on the back of the scoreboard...

t8m26v.jpg

2m2fm83.jpg

May have posted this before, but a good look at the significant amount of space being freed up this summer to expand and renovate the adjacent football locker room and players lounge…

5ofu2w.jpg

28k58ua.jpg

pwpvo.jpg

Now I know I’ve posted this before, but the drastic difference between the old and the new always makes me laugh, along with that ridiculous IU tile logo…

1zwd7rt.jpg

May have posted this before, but a good look at the significant amount of space being freed up this summer to expand and renovate the adjacent football locker room and players lounge…

5ofu2w.jpg

28k58ua.jpg

pwpvo.jpg

Yeah, while the facilities in the SEZ itself are getting the publicity and will certainly be quite nice, the biggest asset with the project is the overall increased square footage which means other things can get expanded

A rather ironic misspelled word in the article......

"When the project is completed after more than 18 months of construction, it could signal a new era for IU football – one that prides itself on excellend."
Ha ha I noticed that. And it doesn’t really say anything that hasn’t been said before, I just thought I would share it during this content downtime.

Note the IU logo on the exterior of the board...

2s68rr5.jpg

The big board. An overhang will be installed at the bottom of the board...

3093knt.jpg

Inside the new suite. 2 rows of red chair backs will be outside in front of this area and the new Hoosier Room...

m7gy94.jpg

Patio...

35cesjt.jpg

Credit to Jason Frye on Facebook for the public photos.

Reactions: turney333
Note the IU logo on the exterior of the board...

2s68rr5.jpg

The big board. An overhang will be installed at the bottom of the board...

3093knt.jpg

Inside the new suite. 2 rows of red chair backs will be outside in front of this area and the new Hoosier Room...

m7gy94.jpg

Patio...

35cesjt.jpg

Credit to Jason Frye on Facebook for the public photos.

Hoping that the textured brick on the patio structures (what I’m assuming will become bathroom/concessions) get painted because the tan/sandstone color is really out of place

Hoping that the textured brick on the patio structures (what I’m assuming will become bathroom/concessions) get painted because the tan/sandstone color is really out of place
The brick is pretty much identical to what is throughout the NEZ concourse. The rest of it will be tan like the rest of the concrete throughout the stadium that they stained/painted a few years back.

995_0053.JPG

The brick is pretty much identical to what is throughout the NEZ concourse. The rest of it will be tan like the rest of the concrete throughout the stadium that they stained/painted a few years back.

995_0053.JPG

Fair enough, though it still seems a little of place, but not a huge deal

Piggybacking off that last drone video, fresh turf makes a world of difference...

(some of the turf in the far south end zone will be removed as they put in track to match around the rest of the field)

ncft54.jpg

Pretty sure Townsend beat me to this a long time ago, but here’s a classic pic...

LARGE

...that I found while looking for construction pics of Assembly Hall. Here’s one of those, with MS in the background:

LARGE
Love these classic pics. I know the MS pic is a program cover from a previous year but was wondering when bleachers were placed in the SEZ. I don't remember there NOT being bleacher seats in both end zones.

It's always interesting to me to look at those backgrounds around the stadium. I lived at Walnut Knolls my senior year (1980-81) and there were still open fields between there and 17th street, as well as between there and the stadium. The only things developed by then were apartments that fronted on 17th and those that fronted on Dunn. That area is completely covered with buildings today, almost unrecognizable from my undergrad days.

Love these classic pics. I know the MS pic is a program cover from a previous year but was wondering when bleachers were placed in the SEZ. I don't remember there NOT being bleacher seats in both end zones.

It's always interesting to me to look at those backgrounds around the stadium. I lived at Walnut Knolls my senior year (1980-81) and there were still open fields between there and 17th street, as well as between there and the stadium. The only things developed by then were apartments that fronted on 17th and those that fronted on Dunn. That area is completely covered with buildings today, almost unrecognizable from my undergrad days.

I think for the first few years after the stadium was built they would bring in temporary bleachers for the Bucket game and perhaps another big game here and there. That became too much of a hassle and they built something more permanent, though I’m guessing they didn’t anticipate that the bleachers were going be around as long as they were otherwise something a bit nicer would have been built

That's a good question. I can remember there being bleachers in the SEZ for the '67 season because that is where the Knothole section was located. I went to all the home games that year in the Knothole section until the Purdue game when they sold the SEZ out at regular price. I did manage to get a ticket in the stands for that game though.

I wonder when and why they took them out for the '69 season and when they put them back in?

That's a good question. I can remember there being bleachers in the SEZ for the '67 season because that is where the Knothole section was located. I went to all the home games that year in the Knothole section until the Purdue game when they sold the SEZ out at regular price. I did manage to get a ticket in the stands for that game though.

I wonder when and why they took them out for the '69 season and when they put them back in?

I’m guessing while the program is from 1969, the pic they used was probably several years old by that point

I’m guessing while program is 1969, the pic they used was probably several years old by that point
Ah yes, you could be right. It is the program cover for the '69 game. I thought it was a picture of the '69 game. That would explain it. Thanks.

I think for the first few years after the stadium was built they would bring in temporary bleachers for the Bucket game and perhaps another big game here and there. That became too much of a hassle and they built something more permanent, though I’m guessing they didn’t anticipate that the bleachers were going be around as long as they were otherwise something a bit nicer would have been built

Great question.

1963 and 1964, no permanent bleachers in either end zone:

LARGE

LARGE

This is from 1965 and the NEZ appears to have temp bleachers, because that’s not how the permanent set looked:

LARGE

mkac85.jpg

Going to the offseason before the 1968 season, there are still no permanent bleachers in either end zone:

LARGE

LARGE

But they do show up that year against Michigan:

LARGE

This is 1970, and the regular bleachers are now in both end zones. Both sets have pavement underneath now:

LARGE

Last edited:
Great question.

1963 and 1964, no permanent bleachers in either end zone:

LARGE

LARGE

This is from 1965 and the NEZ appears to have temp bleachers, because that’s not how the permanent set looked:

LARGE

mkac85.jpg

Going to the offseason before the 1968 season, there are still no permanent bleachers in either end zone:

LARGE

LARGE

But they do show up that year against Michigan:

LARGE

This is 1970, and the regular bleachers are now in both end zones. Both sets have pavement underneath now:

LARGE

Also, the 1968 team picture shows wooden temporary bleachers, but they are on a concrete slab which wasn’t there before so it appears they were getting ready to build the permanent ones

Reactions: RBB89
Also, the 1968 team picture shows wooden temporary bleachers, but they are on a concrete slab which wasn’t there before so it appears they were getting ready to build the permanent ones
Good catch.

There were bleachers in both ends by ‘69, and they brought in extra ones for the Purdue game that year (still the largest crowd in MS history). Also shows how they used to change the south end zone to reflect the colors of the visiting team, which they did until AstroTurf was installed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT