ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ update, August 2018

I can live with "the rock" but I've always preferred "the quarry" if we are going with a pure nickname. Now "quarry" IS synonymous with Bloomington (as anyone over 60 knows). :D
While “the rock” works for me, I really like your “the quarry” even better, paying homage to Bloomington’s origins. Either term recognizes what built Btown into what it and what our university are today.

It's not the size that is the matter, but that it is shared with all other sports, expect basketball, even though football is the predominant user. To me, the lack of a football only weight room isn't the issue that some are making it out to be as IU's single weight is in the same ballpark as cumulative space at schools with separate football and all other sport weight rooms - OSU has a 17k sq ft football weight room and an 11k additional weight room - 3k more than IU, but OSU also sponsors 13 more varsity sports than IU.

Though I think another facility which includes a weight room would be a positive step.One thing to remember that most athletic department and non-football coaches offices are located in the NEZ. I think that another facility could be built to include non-football space: weight room, coaches offices, team meeting rooms, locker rooms. This would give football weight room bragging rights, and allow football support staff, which has grown significantly since the NEZ was built, to expand into more usable space. I think a good location would be directly south and perhaps attached to Mellencamp, with a tunnel connecting it to the NEZ.

Always room for improvement, I just don't think the current lack of the mentioned facilities indicates a lack of commitment to football.
So two rooms splitting the team up is better is better than having one massive weightroom. Also Cook Hall has a weigheoom and Bart Kaufman has a weightroom and the new volleyball/wrestling facility will possibly have a weightroom.

So two rooms splitting the team up is better is better than having one massive weightroom. Also Cook Hall has a weigheoom and Bart Kaufman has a weightroom and the new volleyball/wrestling facility will possibly have a weightroom.

I didn't say split the team up, I said build a new weight room for all other sports and give football sole use of the NEZ weight room, in which case it would have the biggest football only weight room in the conference only behind Mich. And as far as I know, there's no weight room in Kaufman or the new volleyball/wrestling facility. They have locker rooms and "training" rooms where they can get taped up etc before practice/games, but no weight room.

I'm also not upset by the lack of this potential new building/weight room, I was just saying that this would be a relatively easy next step to expand facilities if necessary

Reactions: limestonecowboy
I'm not really digging "THE ROCK" or "MEMORIAL STADIUM" additions. First, it's annoying that "THE ROCK" fills the entire window space and "MEMORIAL STADIUM" leaves the top third messy. Second, I *hate* that you can see inside both sets of windows - very visually messy look that's a strange backdrop to the otherwise clean and simple lettering. Third, I like the actual physical rock that the players touch, but calling MS "The Rock" always seems dumb and contrived. IU Athletics frequently misses on the details.

Glass tends to overthink everything.

while "The Rock" is corny, i have no problem if someone wants to call it that, but IU should call it Memorial Stadium.

as for the stone or concrete or metal or whatever block lettering in the south end, that looks over ornamental to me, and doesn't that further obscure the view of the field from whatever occupies the lower level behind the glass, as well as for the small courtyard area in front of the glass. (not a huge deal, but it does look a little "frilly" to me).

the block letter MEMORIAL STADIUM thing could be better purposed outside the stadium imho.

and why the 3 ft or whatever concrete/stone section of wall the letters are perched upon in the first place. does that serve any structural purpose other than as a pedestal for the lettering.

seems that would obscure the view of the field from the bottom floor of the SEZ even without the lettering.

all we need is either red or a color to match the stone draping covering both north and south ground level windows for game day only , with MEMORIAL STADIUM printed on one end zone window drape and INDIANA UNIVERSITY on the other. (south end doesn't even really have to have a drape at all like the north end, since you don't have sun reflection issues at that end).

please don't overthink the speaker covers. just solid black to frame the video screen thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
and why the 3 ft or whatever concrete/stone section of wall the letters are perched upon in the first place. does that serve any structural purpose other than as a pedestal for the lettering.
I agree, the few feet of stone seems unnecessary. I think floor length windows would look better. I like the block lettering. I really like the aesthetic. But I think it might offset the visual weight of the SEZ leaving the upper levels looking too bare.

I can live with "the rock" but I've always preferred "the quarry" if we are going with a pure nickname. Now "quarry" IS synonymous with Bloomington (as anyone over 60 knows). :D
I like quarry, too, as in "The Cream and Crimson Quarry" but unfortunately, I bet half the population doesn't know what a quarry is. Now, rock...

I think I've found a spot for those 44 more seats (that would give us a solid 52,700 versus the current 52,656)...

Draw an imaginary line down from each upright of the south endzone and place 22 seats on either side of those imaginary lines.

Prime endzone seating..., for VIP youth groups..., and/or friends of the program who like to be near the action...

I visited the stadium today after seeing here that the NW corner was open for entry. A lot of work is left to be done before the first game from a general maintenance standpoint. We had a lot of rain last night and I don't know if the stands above the concourse leak or what but there was a lot of standing water and dripping from above. Pigeon excrement is piled high on the ramps in certain areas. All in all though, the SEZ looks nice. It would have been more impressive if the south end replicated the north end more in design but I can't complain. I saw my first game there in 1960 and never dreamed it would one day be totally enclosed.

The grassy knoll parking area to the south of 17th St. is great for tailgating. I just hope IU never develops the area for better use. It has increasingly become valuable property. Widening of Woodlawn St. has really improved the image. I noticed a wetland restoration has taken place adjacent to 17th St. between Woodlawn and Fess. It'a about a 1 acre site that was recently planted in wetland type plugs of sedges, arrowheads, nodding wild onion, etc. Also, river birch and cypress trees are now installed. This depression (karst sinkhole?) with a small ditch running through it has 5-6 limestone block seats facing the mini nature preserve. Maybe it was done to help drainage of a troublesome area. It will be very esthetically pleasing in a few years once the plantings mature and if it is maintained.

Does anyone know what the new building complex is on N. Dunn St., across the street from the stadium to the west? Is it student housing and/or retail space? There are no balconies and the exterior design looks a bit ugly at this stage. Maybe it will get better. That convenience store on the corner must be a "cash cow" for the owner not to have sold it to the developers of the adjacent complex. So much construction/so little time before the first game. It will be nice when it is all done but where were all the workers today?

Reactions: IUgradman and 76-1
If our fan base is that uneducated......
Anything is better than "Memorial Stadium". The first thing one has to ask is, which one? The partial bow of the ship in front looks like a piece of scrap metal that would be better served after a more viscous state. I like the mast with the crow's nest but the big guns should be reserved for a downtown park in Indy. No disrespect for the veterans is meant here.

The only primary shared facility is the weight room. And that weight room (25k sq ft) is almost double the size of the "football only" ones at OSU and PSU (both listed at 13k sq ft). The new nutrition/dining area and the new rehab area will also be shared, but that seems to be the case at most schools. Most everything else is dedicated to the football team. Plus, the soon to be vacated old dining/rehab areas (about 25k sq ft) will converted into football only space.

Yes, there isn't a stand alone building dedicated to football like some schools, but the amount of space allocated to football is certainly on par with our competitors. Plus, there's no indication that this will be the stopping point for IU either.
Hmmm so PSU & OSU have 13k sq ft football only weight rooms and IU has 25k sq ft. How about IU partitions its weight room into 15k for football only and the other 10k for other IU sports? IU could show recruits that it has a 15k sq ft football only weight room and it's bigger than OSU's and PSU's. And then take the cost savings and apply it to football coaches salaries. What's not to like?

Hmmm so PSU & OSU have 13k sq ft football only weight rooms and IU has 25k sq ft. How about IU partitions its weight room into 15k for football only and the other 10k for other IU sports? IU could show recruits that it has a 15k sq ft football only weight room and it's bigger than OSU's and PSU's. And then take the cost savings and apply it to football coaches salaries. What's not to like?
There’s zero point in doing that.

I'll type slowly for you: It is a LOGO not a MAP therefore there's no need for it to be geographically correct.

Simply for advertising purposes you want your LOGO to appear symmetrical.

Any chance you can grasp that concept?

I'm not the only one to have noticed and commented on it. I'm just the only one whose bothered to post about it (lately).

Now I was willing to drop this out of deference to old cougar 77, but if you want to keep bringing it up I'll keep replying...
Oh for crying out loud, get over it. Quit demeaning other people who don't see this as a problem. It isn't. Your kind of remarks take the pieasure out of reading these boards. It's about IU FOOTBALL. not paint on the damn football field. Most of your posts are fine but this is just inane.

Oh for crying out loud, get over it. Quit demeaning other people who don't see this as a problem. It isn't. Your kind of remarks take the pieasure out of reading these boards. It's about IU FOOTBALL. not paint on the damn football field. Most of your posts are fine but this is just inane.

You do realize that was from back in February right... I gave up on that one about 4 and a half months ago...

The response you're quoting had zip to do with you.

Sorry it bothered you so much...

Do yourself a favor and put me on ignore. I'll do the same with you and we'll never have to read each other's posts again.

Problem solved...

5EC1387B-E38E-4305-9820-B3B16692AF4A.jpeg.ebd8fa42f347a596c7a2056bc0894074.jpeg

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
The NEZ is stunning. The SEZ offers improved facilities for players that were badly needed. Too bad the SEZ wasn't built to more closely align with the architecture of the NEZ.

While I do really like the NEZ, I actually think the SEZ is more complimentary with the rest of the stadium, as well as other buildings in the athletic complex (Assembly Hall/Gladstein), which are a more mid-century modern style.

While I do really like the NEZ, I actually think the SEZ is more complimentary with the rest of the stadium, as well as other buildings in the athletic complex (Assembly Hall/Gladstein), which are a more mid-century modern style.
Driving around the sports complex yesterday, I couldn't help but think that the relatively new basketball practice facility is such an odd looking building. I'm not saying I don't like it, just that it is certainly a strange design. The volleyball/wrestling building under construction to the east of it is an odd one, too. The roofline appears to mimic the quonset hut-like old field house directly north of it. I just now realized after a Google search that this is the "Gladstein" you were referring to. Geez, I never knew that. I have no problem with the varying designs. Heck, Assembly Hall is weird, too, but highly recognizable around the country for that very reason.

I remember jumping off the Quarry cliffs as a freshman. Stupid but totally fun. Had nude sunbathers everywhere. I knew i was no longer in Evansville. Massive Grin! Go hoosiers!

Reactions: 76-1
Yes. And then Michigan highjacked it by calling their stadium the Big House. And that was that.

The Rock nickname came from the Mallory era. The actual rock was located south of the stadium and placed inside during Hep’s time.

I remember a Purdue fan coming on here and making fun of "Hep's Rock" by saying "that's the rock all the IU fans used to piss on their way back to their cars after another loss". I thought that was a pretty good line because that little area just to the west of Mellencamp was a place used by more than a couple of fans who had had one too many.

I remember jumping off the Quarry cliffs as a freshman. Stupid but totally fun. Had nude sunbathers everywhere. I knew i was no longer in Evansville. Massive Grin! Go hoosiers!

FYI, the owners of Rooftop Quarry (the "Breaking Away" quarry) have been talking about filling it in. Hopefully that won't happen, it's such a local landmark with that connection. I get the liability side of it, but it would be a shame to lose it.

FYI, the owners of Rooftop Quarry (the "Breaking Away" quarry) have been talking about filling it in. Hopefully that won't happen, it's such a local landmark with that connection. I get the liability side of it, but it would be a shame to lose it.

I've swam there and dove off those cliffs & rocks...( in my youth ) Lot of fun but potentially very dangerous...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT