ADVERTISEMENT

SEZ update, August 2018

This is what happens when you let the private sector perform what should be government functions and or sub out to foreign companies. Unfortunately the people who make those decisions are rarely held to account.

So you're saying the government is more efficient than private companies?

This is what happens when you let the private sector perform what should be government functions and or sub out to foreign companies. Unfortunately the people who make those decisions are rarely held to account.
This public/private partnership was a spectacular failure but most have been pretty successful. It's not a matter of whether it's managed by a private or public entity, it's a matter of it being managed by competent people. Construction projects get behind schedule no matter who is running the show.

They’re putting up new INDIANA HOOSIERS banners along the east side. They’re fixing it where all the IU logos line up in a central column, as I know that bothered at least one person here.

So you're saying the government is more efficient than private companies?

I'm not saying that per se. Public companies are focused on profit rather than what is best for the public good however. Politicians are focused on what is best for them as far as what work is done but at least they answer directly to the public. Roads are built by private companies, the public sector provides oversight. That oversight was lacking in 37 and it would not have gone on as long as it has would it had not been.

I'm not saying that per se. Public companies are focused on profit rather than what is best for the public good however. Politicians are focused on what is best for them as far as what work is done but at least they answer directly to the public. Roads are built by private companies, the public sector provides oversight. That oversight was lacking in 37 and it would not have gone on as long as it has would it had not been.

Well I would tend to agree there. And I am sure there are companies who seek out government contracts, knowing full well there may be little oversight to cost containment or adherence to a timeline.

Surveys, surveys of surveys and links that no longer exist but lead to sites like the European Public Service Union come to the conclusion that the public sector is more efficient than private sectors, color me surprised.
Well said. I don’t really know anything about that media org anyway. My main thing is just that since the perpetuated sentiment here is in the best interest of those with significant power, I can’t help but be more than a little bit skeptical of its veracity.

They’re putting up new INDIANA HOOSIERS banners along the east side. They’re fixing it where all the IU logos line up in a central column, as I know that bothered at least one person here.
That may have been me! I ride past the stadium all the time and I haven't noticed this yet.

Reactions: RBB89
That looks really nice.

They do need a facade or something on the West side of the stadium since the banners there don't cover up the concourse ramps and it doesn't look as nice as the rest of the stadium.
That side is getting new banners too, but I agree, I'd like to see some more glass or something over there.

That looks really nice.

They do need a facade or something on the West side of the stadium since the banners there don't cover up the concourse ramps and it doesn't look as nice as the rest of the stadium.

I’d agree, but I think the west banners are as good of a temporary solution until a facade could be included in perhaps a press box addition/renovation

Reactions: 76-1 and RBB89
Yeah I can see where that is a serious problem only being 25000 sq feet and being one of the largest in the country, Serious problem!!!

It's not the size that is the matter, but that it is shared with all other sports, expect basketball, even though football is the predominant user. To me, the lack of a football only weight room isn't the issue that some are making it out to be as IU's single weight is in the same ballpark as cumulative space at schools with separate football and all other sport weight rooms - OSU has a 17k sq ft football weight room and an 11k additional weight room - 3k more than IU, but OSU also sponsors 13 more varsity sports than IU.

Though I think another facility which includes a weight room would be a positive step.One thing to remember that most athletic department and non-football coaches offices are located in the NEZ. I think that another facility could be built to include non-football space: weight room, coaches offices, team meeting rooms, locker rooms. This would give football weight room bragging rights, and allow football support staff, which has grown significantly since the NEZ was built, to expand into more usable space. I think a good location would be directly south and perhaps attached to Mellencamp, with a tunnel connecting it to the NEZ.

Always room for improvement, I just don't think the current lack of the mentioned facilities indicates a lack of commitment to football.

Reactions: IUgradman and RBB89
Question

when I was up on my recon mission, I saw blocks of limestone.

one had an I on it.
another had an I and a P

what could that be?

Are we gonna put up a Bucket Statue?

Reactions: 76-1
here's the initial rendering for the weight/training facility fans are pushing for.

if we do the full water feature, might have to re-rout 17th st some to make it fit on the south side of MS.

Taj-Mahal-HD-Pictures.jpg

here's the initial rendering for the weight/training facility fans are pushing for.

if we do the full water feature, might have to re-rout 17th st some to make it fit on the south side of MS.

Hahahahaha lmao. You would think so right.

Reactions: 76-1

I'm against it!

Not enough ribbon boards and candy striping... Plus those three small towers in the reflective pool foreground clearly are not properly aligned with the building itself....! Most likely the same guy who was responsible for the Indiana state map alignment between the forties is also involved with this boondoggle!!!!;)

//This is another weak attempt at humor folks...//

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriselli
Covering for the scoreboard speakers is coming soon. Also...

Nice addition of “MEMORIAL STADIUM” for the ground floor windows. And “THE ROCK” on the NEZ side. Do you know, RBB, what the speakers covering will look like? Thanks for the latest update.

Good look on the new banners...........better than the crowd scene banner, imo.

That looks really nice.

I have no problems with the ramps......think they look kind of interesting, actually.

But the west side concrete looks dirty in spots, especially when compared with the north addition facade. Also, parts of the west side facade look dirtier than other parts. I think it needs to be sandblasted. Anyone know how long it's been since that happened?

Covering for the scoreboard speakers is coming soon. Also...

I'm not really digging "THE ROCK" or "MEMORIAL STADIUM" additions. First, it's annoying that "THE ROCK" fills the entire window space and "MEMORIAL STADIUM" leaves the top third messy. Second, I *hate* that you can see inside both sets of windows - very visually messy look that's a strange backdrop to the otherwise clean and simple lettering. Third, I like the actual physical rock that the players touch, but calling MS "The Rock" always seems dumb and contrived. IU Athletics frequently misses on the details.

I'm not really digging "THE ROCK" or "MEMORIAL STADIUM" additions. First, it's annoying that "THE ROCK" fills the entire window space and "MEMORIAL STADIUM" leaves the top third messy. Second, I *hate* that you can see inside both sets of windows - very visually messy look that's a strange backdrop to the otherwise clean and simple lettering. Third, I like the actual physical rock that the players touch, but calling MS "The Rock" always seems dumb and contrived. IU Athletics frequently misses on the details.

"The Rock" nickname coincided with installation of the physical rock, both were Hep's idea.

The logo is fine. I never noticed a problem before and now that attention has been called to it I’m still not bothered by it. I say this as one who has some OCD issues, too.

"The Rock" nickname coincided with installation of the physical rock, both were Hep's idea.
Rock is synonymous with the history of the community. The whole economy got kick-started with the world’s most precious supply of (relatively) easy access to minable limestone rock. Plus, limestone rock boulders are to be found throughout the athletic complex (and campus) as landscaping accents and functional seating. I like “The Rock” because it’s Indiana.

Rock is synonymous with the history of the community. The whole economy got kick-started with the world’s most precious supply of (relatively) easy access to minable limestone rock. Plus, limestone rock boulders are to be found throughout the athletic complex (and campus) as landscaping accents and functional seating. I like “The Rock” because it’s Indiana.

I can live with "the rock" but I've always preferred "the quarry" if we are going with a pure nickname. Now "quarry" IS synonymous with Bloomington (as anyone over 60 knows). :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT