South End Zone:

no82zp.jpg

North End Zone:

okss5y.jpg

West Side:

20qn9cw.jpg

East Side:

ih2psi.jpg

Concessions and restrooms will be improved this offseason as well.
These pictures are great. What a change they have made to the stadium. Hopefully, I can get back there sometime soon. We just moved to New Jersey, so twice as far away as we used to be.

Enjoy your threads, hopefully you continue throwing a bone to us on the free board.

GO IU!

Reactions: RBB89
This is the dumbest digression in the history of this board. There is nothing wrong with the logo. Indiana is not a perfect square, so no matter where you place it, you’re going to have a wider side. In addition, the western border is not a straight line at a 90° angle. It heads slightly east as you go up the border. This is dumb. I’m tired of this. Pointing out geographical/cartographical features isn’t being an apologist for the IU AD.

sqiope.jpg
While I've never noticed a problem with the logo alignment and agree with you geographically, I must respectfully disagree agree on one point. This is (quite unfortunately) not the dumbest digression in the history of the board :(

While I've never noticed a problem with the logo alignment and agree with you geographically, I must respectfully disagree agree on one point. This is (quite unfortunately) not the dumbest digression in the history of the board :(
Ok that made me laugh out loud. :D

Reactions: mk23
Right you need to go to the water cooler for that.

Reactions: 76-1
This is the dumbest digression in the history of this board. There is nothing wrong with the logo. Indiana is not a perfect square, so no matter where you place it, you’re going to have a wider side. In addition, the western border is not a straight line at a 90° angle. It heads slightly east as you go up the border. This is dumb. I’m tired of this. Pointing out geographical/cartographical features isn’t being an apologist for the IU AD.

sqiope.jpg

If you and your boss Fred can't grasp that A) that's a "logo" not a map, and B) that logos left side is not parallel to the 45 then there's simply nothing I can do to help either of you...

This has never been about whether its geographically correct as you and your boss well know... The damn "logo" is simply offset at approximately a 10+ degrees and anyone paying attention at the game or watching it at home on TV sees it... (or bothers to look closely at your included photo).

Now I understand you're just doing your job apologizing for Fred's lack of attention to detail but let me give you a tip for future efforts: don't include a photo that disproves your premise and proves what I originally said about you.

If you and your boss Fred can't grasp that A) that's a "logo" not a map, and B) that logos left side is not parallel to the 45 then there's simply nothing I can do to help either of you...

This has never been about whether its geographically correct as you and your boss well know... The damn "logo" is simply offset at approximately a 10+ degrees and anyone paying attention at the game or watching it at home on TV sees it... (or bothers to look closely at your included photo).

Now I understand you're just doing your job apologizing for Fred's lack of attention to detail but let me give you a tip for future efforts: don't include a photo that disproves your premise and proves what I originally said about you.
I have to tell you that my seats have been between the 45 yard lines since 2003 and I actually had to study RBB's pic posted yesterday to even see what you have been ranting about. I honestly never even noticed. Now that I have seen it, it still doesn't bother me in the slightest. I think this may be a personal issue with you that upsets you a whole lot more than anybody else.

I usually enjoy reading your posts but I think this is something you need to let go. It makes you look mean and petty to attack another poster for simply disagreeing with you whether a logo looks ok or not. There's a huge difference between not liking something and demanding that it be changed because it offends your personal sensibility as to how it should look. Life's too short and football is too much fun to have your experience ruined by a line that might not be perfectly straight.

These pictures are great. What a change they have made to the stadium. Hopefully, I can get back there sometime soon. We just moved to New Jersey, so twice as far away as we used to be.

Enjoy your threads, hopefully you continue throwing a bone to us on the free board.

GO IU!
Thanks.

2uppwfb.jpg

A few weeks old, but a good view:

Reactions: syddasloth
Neither "Back Home Again" nor the state song "On The Banks of the Wabash" have any direct connection to Purdue. The guy who wrote "On the Banks of the Wabash" was from Terre Haute and the Indiana guy involved in "Back Home Again" was from Rensselaer.

Back Home Again was much more famous as an uptempo jazz standard (that Louis Armstrong played all the time) before they started singing it at the Indy 500.

Just because the Purdue band plays it at the 500 and the Wabash flows through Lafayette doesn't mean it's a "Purdue thing".
I happen to relate it to Purdue and besides that, the song "stinks". It builds no excitement in the stadium and dates back to before 80% of the people in attendance were even born. Get rid of it! Please!

I have to tell you that my seats have been between the 45 yard lines since 2003 and I actually had to study RBB's pic posted yesterday to even see what you have been ranting about. I honestly never even noticed. Now that I have seen it, it still doesn't bother me in the slightest. I think this may be a personal issue with you that upsets you a whole lot more than anybody else.

I usually enjoy reading your posts but I think this is something you need to let go. It makes you look mean and petty to attack another poster for simply disagreeing with you whether a logo looks ok or not. There's a huge difference between not liking something and demanding that it be changed because it offends your personal sensibility as to how it should look. Life's too short and football is too much fun to have your experience ruined by a line that might not be perfectly straight.

It's never bothered me, and I agree it's no big deal, but I also agree that it would appear better centered if the entire logo, as is, was shifted to right a tad.

Making the outline of a the state of Indiana geographically incorrect would be the opposite of attention to detail. This is the craziest thing I've seen someone obsess about here. Literally no one I know has ever said anything about that logo other than you.

As a graphic artist/marketing guy, the multiple fonts all around the stadium used to drive me a little crazy, but it appears they've gradually cleaned them and now almost exclusively use serif type fonts. Not sure I ever really obsessed about it, but I did notice it every visit I made. Now I guess I can focus on the logo more. :)

Making the outline of a the state of Indiana geographically incorrect would be the opposite of attention to detail. This is the craziest thing I've seen someone obsess about here. Literally no one I know has ever said anything about that logo other than you.
I’m kind of at a loss as well. But, I’m just going to start ignoring it.

Reactions: MrBing

I'll type slowly for you: It is a LOGO not a MAP therefore there's no need for it to be geographically correct.

Simply for advertising purposes you want your LOGO to appear symmetrical.

Any chance you can grasp that concept?

I'm not the only one to have noticed and commented on it. I'm just the only one whose bothered to post about it (lately).

Now I was willing to drop this out of deference to old cougar 77, but if you want to keep bringing it up I'll keep replying...

I'll type slowly for you: It is a LOGO not a MAP therefore there's no need for it to be geographically correct.

Simply for advertising purposes you want your LOGO to appear symmetrical.

Any chance you can grasp that concept?

I'm not the only one to have noticed and commented on it. I'm just the only one whose bothered to post about it (lately).

Now I was willing to drop this out of deference to old cougar 77, but if you want to keep bringing it up I'll keep replying...
Let me type slowly for you. You're obsessed with a very stupid thing. I want my state logo to be accurate even if you would rather distort it. Can you grasp that concept?

Reactions: MaxCoke
Let me try to help you here... For starters I'm not obsessed with this, I simply find it another disappointly glaring example of the Athletic Department not paying attention to detail and while spending millions in upgrades to beautify the stadium, won't spend hundreds to adjust a few feet of white line so it is parallel to the left 45 (looking from the West).

Now I understand how and why it was originally painted that way: whoever did it used a "geographical" projection and did so correctly.

Upon seeing that the boundaries on both sides of the state did not line up with the 45s someone (Fred?) should have asked the painter to fix it.

Now knowing how this outfit doubles down rather then admitting an error I expect to see what's out there in the center of the field for years to come. Can't say I really give a ..it.

If Fred and his minions are good with it then that's the way it's going to be. It'll make for a great Memorial Stadium trivia question... and I'll continue to think it looks like hell and I know several folk who sit near me who have expressed the same thought...

Once again: it's an advertising logo ( or should be) "Not" a precise map projection...and "logos" are supposed to be symmetrical and line up with whatever is on either side of it.

Can't reach you if you can't grasp that concept and at this point I'm done trying...[/QUOTE]

Let me try to help you here... For starters I'm not obsessed with this, I simply find it another disappointly glaring example of the Athletic Department not paying attention to detail and while spending millions in upgrades to beautify the stadium, won't spend hundreds to adjust a few feet of white line so it is parallel to the left 45 (looking from the West).

Now I understand how and why it was originally painted that way: whoever did it used a "geographical" projection and did so correctly.

Upon seeing that the boundaries on both sides of the state did not line up with the 45s someone (Fred?) should have asked the painter to fix it.

Now knowing how this outfit doubles down rather then admitting an error I expect to see what's out there in the center of the field for years to come. Can't say I really give a ..it.

If Fred and his minions are good with it then that's the way it's going to be. It'll make for a great Memorial Stadium trivia question... and I'll continue to think it looks like hell and I know several folk who sit near me who have expressed the same thought...

Once again: it's an advertising logo ( or should be) "Not" a precise map projection...and "logos" are supposed to be symmetrical and line up with whatever is on either side of it.

Can't reach you if you can't grasp that concept and at this point I'm done trying...
I think it's perfect the way it is. The I in the trident is directly on the 50 and I like the attention to detail given to getting the state outline correct. It would be in error otherwise.

I don't think you understand the concept of attention to detail.

You clearly do give a s***. ;)

Most don't consider it a 'logo', the pitchfork is the logo. It's the outline of the State of Indiana, just like the one at mid-court in AH, but that one doesn't bother you?

If it's a 'logo', then after the turf was installed post DiNardo why did they repaint when it originally didn't have the scoop where Lake Michigan is...the top border was a straight line.

Reactions: muubell and RBB89
Most don't consider it a 'logo', the pitchfork is the logo. It's the outline of the State of Indiana, just like the one at mid-court in AH, but that one doesn't bother you?

If it's a 'logo', then after the turf was installed post DiNardo why did they repaint when it originally didn't have the scoop where Lake Michigan is...the top border was a straight line.
The IU is not a pitchfork, not a trident. It is called the IU interlock.

Reactions: MrBing
Fair enough, but I still think of the interlock being the I shadowboxed to appear in front of the U. McNeely's buddies came up with the current logo, at a cost of around 60K. (I had a copy of the PO)

I'm old...

Fair enough, but I still think of the interlock being the I shadowboxed to appear in front of the U. McNeely's buddies came up with the current logo, at a cost of around 60K. (I had a copy of the PO)

I'm old...
Hey Inigo.....Are you still at Eigenmann ?
Eigenmann Hall

Everyone else seems so obsessed about this topic I feel like I need to interject just to not feel left out! I fondly remember the Ohio river looping way further north over the center court circle in Assembly Hall before redone in the late 90s. Then they offset/elongated the state so much that it seemed out of balance/proportion. The former i liked even though inaccurate, the latter drove me crazy. Go figure. As for football, the only thing that really bothers me (slightly) is the balance/size of the end zone indianas overpower the size of the logo in middle of field. Look at aerial and see if it bugs you now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and mk23
Everyone else seems so obsessed about this topic I feel like I need to interject just to not feel left out! I fondly remember the Ohio river looping way further north over the center court circle in Assembly Hall before redone in the late 90s. Then they offset/elongated the state so much that it seemed out of balance/proportion. The former i liked even though inaccurate, the latter drove me crazy. Go figure. As for football, the only thing that really bothers me (slightly) is the balance/size of the end zone indianas overpower the size of the logo in middle of field. Look at aerial and see if it bugs you now.
Ha I actually like the end zone lettering being so much larger, although part of that could be me being scarred from the horrific last year of the previous surface.

Random: Hallway under the west stands that is remarkably hard to find a picture of. This hallway (like the concourse...finally) will connect all around (underneath) the entire stadium so that all of the facilities at MS will be easily accessible and connected.

o6zaxw.jpg

Can't reach you if you can't grasp that concept and at this point I'm done trying...
It's not an advertising logo. It's an outline of the state. The interlocking IU is a logo, trademarked and owned by the University. The map or shape of the state isn't "owned" by anyone and should be accurate.
And it's not paint. It's turf dyed to the specific colors and sewn or glued in. It would require cutting it out of the field and replacing it.
If opposing fans (or anyone else) make comments about it, just tell them it's the outline of the state. There really isn't any arguing with that.

It's not an advertising logo. It's an outline of the state. The interlocking IU is a logo, trademarked and owned by the University. The map or shape of the state isn't "owned" by anyone and should be accurate.
And it's not paint. It's turf dyed to the specific colors and sewn or glued in. It would require cutting it out of the field and replacing it.
If opposing fans (or anyone else) make comments about it, just tell them it's the outline of the state. There really isn't any arguing with that.

Will do.

Edit: I still believe it's (the map) intended use is as a "logo" not a geographical map. Yours (Daydreamer) was by far the best argument for leaving it as is however so I'm giving credit where its deserved.

Still looks bad to me but I won't stop attending games because of it.

If I can grit my teeth and listen to strains of the "theme to The Godfather" when the D takes the field, I can learn to ignore our waperjawed state outline (logo ;)),:cool:

Last edited:
I get a feeling this final enclosure is going to make it really loud in the stadium, even with our typical crowd size. Hopefully we will start filling the place soon and it will be a nightmare for opposing teams to communicate when the place starts rockin'. Still hard for me to believe the difference in MS from ten years earlier.

I'm going to the IUBB game next Friday and plan to swing through the area early to get a look at the stadium before it gets dark. Haven't seen it up close since mid-December. Even more excited to get an inside look at the Spring game.

I get a feeling this final enclosure is going to make it really loud in the stadium, even with our typical crowd size. Hopefully we will start filling the place soon and it will be a nightmare for opposing teams to communicate when the place starts rockin'. Still hard for me to believe the difference in MS from ten years earlier.

I'm going to the IUBB game next Friday and plan to swing through the area early to get a look at the stadium before it gets dark. Haven't seen it up close since mid-December. Even more excited to get an inside look at the Spring game.

If we ever get to a point where we routinely have a full house that sticks around for a complete game Memorial Stadium would/should/could very well become a tougher place to play than Auzten Stadium (U. of Oregon)..., in my opinion...

Wow. Those boys must have some incentive to get the thing done early. Can't believe the progress since the end of the season. Looks great. Can't wait.
Other than a bit of snow, the weather has really helped them out a lot.

29uvj20.jpg

1z6jw4.jpg

A reminder, this was taken February 2nd, 2017...they’ve worked their butts off:

29uvj20.jpg

Does it look like the first row immediately behind the platform may have visibility issues? It seems fans sitting in that row may not be able to have a clear view down if fans are seated ~ 7-10 feet straight ahead on the same “level”.

I’ve had the same thought, but it’s hard to get a sense of how that will work/how steep the stands are when you aren’t there.

Let's not forget that the map is a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional object and the larger the map the greater the distortion. In the greater scheme of things is this hindering recruiting or negatively affecting attendance? Could these be the reason people leave to tailgate at halftime?

Reactions: RBB89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT