Doherty: North Carolina
Ewing: Georgetown
Mullins: St. John’s
Drexler: Houston
Howard: Michigan
Payne: Louisville
Jordan and Miller: Butler
Lavall was a forced hire unfortunately.
Drexler in mode of Woodson. Ewing? Doherty did start out Ol Coca Cola Roy off Felton, McCants & May. Howard was so predictable. Paye is terible. Mullins? See Ewing.

We need Fpeaugh to finally make good on the Billy Donovan information. The Stevens ship has sailed, and maybe Donovan has zero interest coming back to college...and/or has no interest in IU if he is open to college coaching. But he's the only guy I can think of that Dolson should make a move after this season on Woody for. As demoralized and down on the state of our team as I am...itd have to be Donovan, or someone at that level, to justify it, in my opinion.

And obviously, that's incredibly unlikely. So...realistically, we should be thinking about what kinds of players could Woody get to actually be good with...

McNeeley will help...his shooting will be great, but he's more than that...good overall wing...
Daquan Davis would be nice...
Derik Queen would be nice...especially if Ware leaves
Jakai Newton getting fully healthy would help...
I do see CJ Gunn as a bench rotation guy...
Gabe Cupps as a bench rotation guy...
A couple transfer portal "dogs"...Baylor type guard/wings that get it done on both ends...
Malik stays, but isn't asked to guard the perimeter...
Mack stays, but is taught/demanded better defensive principles...
Trey stays...but assumes more of a locker room leadership role, isn't expected to be a main rotation guy.

THAT 10 man rotation could win a lot of games...and probably wouldn't need Woody to coach them up as much as this team needs.

We need Fpeaugh to finally make good on the Billy Donovan information. The Stevens ship has sailed, and maybe Donovan has zero interest coming back to college...and/or has no interest in IU if he is open to college coaching. But he's the only guy I can think of that Dolson should make a move after this season on Woody for. As demoralized and down on the state of our team as I am...itd have to be Donovan, or someone at that level, to justify it, in my opinion.

And obviously, that's incredibly unlikely. So...realistically, we should be thinking about what kinds of players could Woody get to actually be good with...

McNeeley will help...his shooting will be great, but he's more than that...good overall wing...
A couple transfer portal "dogs"...Baylor type guard/wings that get it done on both ends...
Trey stays...but assumes more of a locker room leadership role, isn't expected to be a main rotation guy.

THAT 10 man rotation could win a lot of games...and probably wouldn't need Woody to coach them up as much as this team needs.
Was nice to see Ware rebound last night with a hard fought game. A bright note.

Reactions: Willdog7

Go hire Brad Brownell. He'll come to IU, and he'll definitely coach the fundamentals you speak of so often. He's the kind of guy IU needs running the show, imo. High character guy, solid coach who has had some success at Clemson and played for Royce Waltman at DePauw. Royce was a Bobby Knight disciple. He'd be a good hire, imo.

It seldom works…

Doherty: North Carolina
Ewing: Georgetown
Mullins: St. John’s
Drexler: Houston
Howard: Michigan
Payne: Louisville
Jordan and Miller: Butler
I think the jury is still out on Howard because he's had success. But it really depends upon your definition of "works". That has to be defined as more than just national titles. Does Penny Hardaway "work" at Memphis?

Also, I don't think Woody fits with these examples as most of these guys lacked prior, significant HC experience at any level. So these hires were based primarily upon their names/playing careers and not their coaching careers. Woody had significant coaching experience although lacked college level.

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7

MM will be in the portal.

MM will be in the portal.
Maybe...and the team I listed would still be good without him. If I were him, I'd go play for a coach I know would force me to become a more well rounded player. Might be a difficult year or two, but could be a multi million dollar decision for him.

Reactions: bsmitty08

That is alot of what if's and it assumes we get two stud transfer portal guards which so far woodson has shown no ability to do. I just do not think alot of guards want to come here and play in a post up offense.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Maybe...and the team I listed would still be good without him. If I were him, I'd go play for a coach I know would force me to become a more well rounded player. Might be a difficult year or two, but could be a multi million dollar decision for him.
And okay the right position. He isn’t a 3

We’ve seen enough. Get Dusty here now. No transfer guard with half a brain comes here next year unless we’re paying 7 figures.
Are you serious? No program in the country would fire the coach at this point with this record. None. What self-respecting coach would ever come to IU if there was a chance to be treated as unfairly as that? None. The idea that May is our savior and will leave his current team in the middle of the season to replace him is really crazy. So your entire post is a great example of senseless whining.

That is alot of what if's and it assumes we get two stud transfer portal guards which so far woodson has shown no ability to do. I just do not think alot of guards want to come here and play in a post up offense.
Cast a wider net. Make it clear to any/all of them that the program is changing.

7 of the 11 guys I mentioned are already on his roster.

2 of the 4 other spots are guys that are choosing between us and 1 or 2 other schools.

For the remaining 3-4 roster spots, go after 30 portal guard/wings that fit that 2-way "dog" description. First 3-4 that sign get to be apart of something special.

Not unlike Woody, it looks like you forgot about Kaleb Banks. I think he (and Walker) can really contribute if given consistent minutes.

• Wow
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Are you serious? No program in the country would fire the coach at this point with this record. None. What self-respecting coach would ever come to IU if there was a chance to be treated as unfairly as that? None. The idea that May is our savior and will leave his current team in the middle of the season to replace him is really crazy. So your entire post is a great example of senseless whining.

Give me a break. I am sure Kentucky thought we cannot fire Billy K who would ever come here because we treated him so poorly after only going 20-12 in the conference.

Go hire Brad Brownell. He'll come to IU, and he'll definitely coach the fundamentals you speak of so often. He's the kind of guy IU needs running the show, imo. High character guy, solid coach who has had some success at Clemson and played for Royce Waltman at DePauw. Royce was a Bobby Knight disciple. He'd be a good hire, imo.
He would be a solid- good hire. IU needs better than him though. And thats not a knock on him either. I know a few Clemson people who have been finished with him for awhile now. I wish Iu wojld have gotten Jamie Dixon 3 years ago. He is that guy who coulda done well here.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
I think the jury is still out on Howard because he's had success. But it really depends upon your definition of "works". That has to be defined as more than just national titles. Does Penny Hardaway "work" at Memphis?

Also, I don't think Woody fits with these examples as most of these guys lacked prior, significant HC experience at any level. So these hires were based primarily upon their names/playing careers and not their coaching careers. Woody had significant coaching experience although lacked college level.
The jury isn't out on Howard, it's as in as it can be. I'd heard it was possible they were going to let him go a couple weeks ago when the hub-bub blew up with the Strength coach. I don't think he'll be there next year. I don't recall his entire tenure, but what success are you referring to?

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Cast a wider net. Make it clear to any/all of them that the program is changing.

7 of the 11 guys I mentioned are already on his roster.

2 of the 4 other spots are guys that are choosing between us and 1 or 2 other schools.

For the remaining 3-4 roster spots, go after 30 portal guard/wings that fit that 2-way "dog" description. First 3-4 that sign get to be apart of something special.
Woodson needs superior talent to win. He is not that good of a coach period and he will need top talent to ever make a sweek sixeteen. You can go after all the portal guards you want but again we play a post up offense. Most would much rather go to Arkansas or Auburn type schools imo.

Not talking national titles; rather, former alumni often struggle as basketball coaches. For every Roy Williams, you have a list of coaches where it didn’t work. Mike Woodson will soon be on this list.

The jury isn't out on Howard, it's as in as it can be. I'd heard it was possible they were going to let him go a couple weeks ago when they hub bub blew up with the Strength coach. I don't think he'll be there next year. I don't recall his entire tenure, but what success are you referring to?
Michigan won the conference regular season championship and made the Elite 8 in 2021.

No more NBA coaches please

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Not unlike Woody, it looks like you forgot about Kaleb Banks. I think he (and Walker) can really contribute if given consistent minutes.
Banks is willing, but very limited. Not a shooter. Not a ball-handler. Not a defensive stopper. Not particularly gifted in terms of basketball IQ.. He works at rebounding but isn't tall enough or thick enough to be especially effective. He's athletic and enthusiastic. That's about it.

He was so productive his senior year in HS....I thought he might be a big-time sleeper for us. Did not see it this spring and summer when this was much discussed, and he's not shown us anything new so far.

He would be a solid- good hire. IU needs better than him though. And thats not a knock on him either. I know a few Clemson people who have been finished with him for awhile now. I wish Iu wojld have gotten Jamie Dixon 3 years ago. He is that guy who coulda done well here.
Yeah, there was a time where I think Brownell would've been in the running but Clemson is where good coaches go to die, imo. Backwater and no recruiting area to draw from, no history, other than being abused by the ACC big dogs. I think there's no doubt he can coach, but can he recruit? And, I think he's been off the main stage for too long. I think Dixon is happy in Texas. Right now I think it's May, or Beard or maybe Pearl if the powers that be would consider him. The guy I wonder about is Jay Wright. These guys say they leave for health but then they all seem to still work a heavy TV schedule. I'm sure it's not as stressful or the sheer # of hours, but it still seems like the are around, but not doing, the thing they love.

I mean are we really going to waste more years? Woody was right for the time. We needed an Adult who respected the brand.

But we’re in dire times as there’s now multiple generations 40 and under who have never seen any real success. We will lose the fanbase and brand just like UCLA did.

We’ve seen with football money isn’t an issue. Give Woody some PR job at IU and let him retire in a few years. Praying we get transfers is basically the philosophy. ☹️

Correct after two seasons. But the talk of you cannot fire a guy after three years is absurd. If winning is your goal you most certainly can.
They also didn’t pay for his buyout because he never signed his contract. He made it easy. They did eventually years later pay him 3 million.

Michigan won the conference regular season championship and made the Elite 8 in 2021.
The guys who were saying they weren't sure if Howad was going to survive the week were the Sleepers guys and one of them us a UM fan. With the season they are having, and the past incidents, I don't think JH will be there next year.

Banks is willing, but very limited. Not a shooter. Not a ball-handler. Not a defensive stopper. Not particularly gifted in terms of basketball IQ.. He works at rebounding but isn't tall enough or thick enough to be especially effective. He's athletic and enthusiastic. That's about it.

He was so productive his senior year in HS....I thought he might be a big-time sleeper for us. Did not see it this spring and summer when this was much discussed, and he's not shown us anything new so far.
It's good to hear that you and others have discussed this. I would hate to make rash judgements about a 2nd year player only 40 games (335 mins of playing time) into his college career. (eye roll)

Correct after two seasons. But the talk of you cannot fire a guy after three years is absurd. If winning is your goal you most certainly can.
My post was in response to the OP saying to fire Woodson NOW and to hire May NOW. It wasn't about after the season. I don't disagree that he could be fired after the season. I don't believe it will happen unless IU has a really bad end to the season and has a losing record. If he has a winning record and makes the tournament there is no chance IMO that he'll be fired.

Howard had early success because Beilein left him a great program. Beilein went to a couple FF’s and was probably the most successful B10 coach during his time there. Howard took over and it’s been a steady decline ever since. Hell, if Dolson was going to hire an older coach he should’ve given Beilein a look. He’d have us as a top 5 team right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT