ADVERTISEMENT

Semi-OT: New app to listen to Fisch.

SRIV94

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Somewhere near Chicago
Posted this on the premie basketball board as well, but thought it was worth posting over here too.

Learfield IMG is starting an app that will consolidate all of its teams' broadcasts into one convenient place. This is a boon for those of us outside Indiana without a local radio outlet to listen to Fisch for football or basketball (app also has women's basketball, baseball and softball games as well)--also allows one to listen to the home feeds for a ton of other schools if desired.

What I don't know is whether the streaming delay is as bad or worse than using TuneIn's officially-official sanctioned feed (stations who do stream [even though they're not supposed to] the delay is usually significantly less, so I don't have to pause the DVR as long). I guess I'll find out next weekend. :)

Here's some more info--app is called The Varsity Network:

I have to be honest here. I think Fisch is absolutely terrible. He has lost his ability to paint a picture of what is happening on the field. He constantly loses track of what down it is. Maybe it was last season, I think the Hoosiers were playing Rutgers and for the entire first half he kept saying we were playing Nebraska. He basically says the same thing over and over every game every season. And when there is a negative turn of a events he whines and pouts like a little kid. It is actually embarrassing. I understand that he gets the benefit of the doubt because he’s been covering the Hoosiers for so long.

I tend to listen to the opponent’s radio broadcast for at least half the game. They’re all better than the television commentators. The only exception might be Rutgers.

I have to be honest here. I think Fisch is absolutely terrible. He has lost his ability to paint a picture of what is happening on the field. He constantly loses track of what down it is. Maybe it was last season, I think the Hoosiers were playing Rutgers and for the entire first half he kept saying we were playing Nebraska. He basically says the same thing over and over every game every season. And when there is a negative turn of a events he whines and pouts like a little kid. It is actually embarrassing. I understand that he gets the benefit of the doubt because he’s been covering the Hoosiers for so long.

I tend to listen to the opponent’s radio broadcast for at least half the game. They’re all better than the television commentators. The only exception might be Rutgers.
Last year was tough for all of them doing PBP from their TV at home.

Fisch has never been as good at Football as he is with Hoops, but no one is as good as he is with hoops.

Posted this on the premie basketball board as well, but thought it was worth posting over here too.

Learfield IMG is starting an app that will consolidate all of its teams' broadcasts into one convenient place. This is a boon for those of us outside Indiana without a local radio outlet to listen to Fisch for football or basketball (app also has women's basketball, baseball and softball games as well)--also allows one to listen to the home feeds for a ton of other schools if desired.

What I don't know is whether the streaming delay is as bad or worse than using TuneIn's officially-official sanctioned feed (stations who do stream [even though they're not supposed to] the delay is usually significantly less, so I don't have to pause the DVR as long). I guess I'll find out next weekend. :)

Thanks for posting. I hope this works.

Thanks for posting. I hope this works.

I appreciate the info and will keep the app. However, I won't be deleting my links to local Indiana radio stations' online broadcasts (some goodies: WHCC. WITZ, WQRK). I'm testing the setup now about 45 minutes before kickoff of the Nebraska - Illinois game and it appears that the feature does not include the pregame show.

Edit: Oh wait. I'm a day early. Been in Japan for 30 years and still haven't got the hang of the time difference. Ha!

Last year they posted some video of Fisch and Buck in the booth calling the games after the fact in home games on Facebook. I thought that was pretty cool especially going back and listening/watching the reactions on the Penn State game.

Using NEB/ILL football as a gauge the delay is about 10 seconds (on TuneIn using the sanctioned stream it was about 30-45 seconds, so that’s a significant improvement; using unsanctioned streams the delay was 5-10 seconds, maybe even less).

Reactions: Tokyo Steve
Using NEB/ILL football as a gauge the delay is about 10 seconds (on TuneIn using the sanctioned stream it was about 30-45 seconds, so that’s a significant improvement; using unsanctioned streams the delay was 5-10 seconds, maybe even less).
So it’s free and 10 sec delay with good quality

It seems to be intended for iPads and iPhones.

Way ahead of the video and when you pause it picks right back live again. Doesn’t seem like there is any way to sync.

Thanks for posting the link. I’ve got Hulu and the closest I could get it was a play ahead of the tv. At least I knew when to avert my eyes. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT