ADVERTISEMENT

Fisch and Suhr need to go.

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Late in the third-quarter the two of them were going on and on complaining about how late it was going to be when they got home. With about 12 minutes to go in the game Suhr said that Indiana was playing a lot of players in the last 20 minutes of the game. Fish added that he did not know if Idaho was playing their first or second string. They laughed and about how the students all left at halftime and that by the end of the third-quarter most people were gone. That makes me want to buy a ticket!

If you are an Indiana Hoosier fan and you’re on the road driving with your kids, and listening to these two numbskulls call an Indiana game, there is absolutely nothing said that would motivate you to buy a ticket or catch your kids interest. I blame Fisch more than Suhr.. Suhr tries to carry him but it’s not very effective

I have no idea if the Hoosiers are playing man or zone. I never have an idea if anybody is controlling line of scrimmage. You can go to whole game without hearing Kaleb Jones name called. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I know Fisch is an icon of the program but he’s dragging it down.

And this year I have to pay to listen to these games on the Learfield radio. At least half a dozen times per night I listen to the same inane story about some high school players playing Jump on a boom box before they do their basketball warm-up layup drill. Nothing is fresh.

Know if they could get Coach Allen on the radio after the game because of technical issues. Since when is it being inept technical? These guys to a higher standard. If you listen to Michigan or Ohio State these guys sound like they’re announcing a high school game.

Late in the third-quarter the two of them were going on and on complaining about how late it was going to be when they got home. With about 12 minutes to go in the game Suhr said that Indiana was playing a lot of players in the last 20 minutes of the game. Fish added that he did not know if Idaho was playing their first or second string. They laughed and about how the students all left at halftime and that by the end of the third-quarter most people were gone. That makes me want to buy a ticket!

If you are an Indiana Hoosier fan and you’re on the road driving with your kids, and listening to these two numbskulls call an Indiana game, there is absolutely nothing said that would motivate you to buy a ticket or catch your kids interest. I blame Fisch more than Suhr.. Suhr tries to carry him but it’s not very effective

I have no idea if the Hoosiers are playing man or zone. I never have an idea if anybody is controlling line of scrimmage. You can go to whole game without hearing Kaleb Jones name called. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I know Fisch is an icon of the program but he’s dragging it down.

And this year I have to pay to listen to these games on the Learfield radio. At least half a dozen times per night I listen to the same inane story about some high school players playing Jump on a boom box before they do their basketball warm-up layup drill. Nothing is fresh.

Know if they could get Coach Allen on the radio after the game because of technical issues. Since when is it being inept technical? These guys to a higher standard. If you listen to Michigan or Ohio State these guys sound like they’re announcing a high school game.
Blasphemy!! Don Fischer is a national treasure! But have to admit I don’t have to listen…

The radio team is awful. Calling it play-by-play is misleading. It’s really more like announcing the result of each play.

Be thankful you don't have to listen to the purdue guys

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
The radio team is awful. Calling it play-by-play is misleading. It’s really more like announcing the result of each play.
lol a purdue fan with your history of radio guys judging anyone is hilarious. Pete Quinn has been the biggest homer ever. I won't touch the basketball situation for obvious reasons.

BTW Lawn Boy...I saw two grass fields yesterday; Msu and psu and both were in far better shape late game than the goat ranch you bend over backwards making excuses for.

Kind of hard to fill meaningless time in what became a laugher in the 3rd.
FB has always been a distant second for Fisch as his specialty is obviously basketball where he is second to none and has been for decades.

Now that FB is on the rise, it is time to get someone younger and more dialed in for the broadcasts. I suspect he is ready anyway.

After years of listening to the Purdue homer announcers, I’m sure things get distorted. Those guys are the biggest moaners on the airwaves. You begin to wonder if it’s football or a sex line. “Ohh”. “Ahhhh”. “That was awful”. “He’s inches short.”

"That makes me want to buy a ticket?"

It's not their job to sell tickets, roll over for anyone, or make up things. It's their job to inform you about IU football, & what's happening on the field. Where did you ever get a radio that doesn't have the function of changing stations? Since when is IU football the only entity to ever have 'technical difficulties'? Wow???

After years of listening to the Purdue homer announcers, I’m sure things get distorted. Those guys are the biggest moaners on the airwaves. You begin to wonder if it’s football or a sex line. “Ohh”. “Ahhhh”. “That was awful”. “He’s inches short.”
My best Pete Quinn take: "Our opponent was very fortunate that the football is shaped the way it is. If it were round it would have bounced right to Purdue for an easy score. Purdue leads the nation in pick sixes when the football is round instead of football shaped".

When Buck is on top of his game he's both informative and funny; and I guarantee you we'll all miss Fisch when he decides to retire..

I wouldn't be in any rush to see them go...

Finding a couple of guys (in the future) who actually care as much as they do about INDIANA Football might just be impossible...

Be careful what you wish for...

A typical Fischer call:

Penix takes the snap ... Ellis with the ball ... He moves forward ... That brings up second down.

When Buck is on top of his game he's both informative and funny; and I guarantee you we'll all miss Fisch when he decides to retire..

Finding a couple of guys (in the future) who actually care as much as they do about INDIANA Football might just be impossible...

I suspect Don will hang up Football after this season and do basketball a couple more. He is in good shape.

Everyone says that about every broadcaster then people just kind of move on.

I personally like a later game but lots of kids were ready to go by 10:00 and Indy was a long commute on the disaster known at 37/69.
Night games are for Friday high school football. Game should be no later than 3:30 pm. Start tailgating in the morning go to the game, then you can go out for dinner/bars after and leave when you want, if you live out of town. A night game just ruins your whole evening and those driving back to Indy don’t get home until well past midnight if they stay for the whole game.

The noon kickoff for Cincinnati will be great - if they win go to Nick’s after and celebrate with fans, instead of having to drive home and fight the traffic if you live up north.

Reactions: vesuvius13

I certainly wouldn't use Brandstatter and Dierdorf at Michigan as an example of a really professional radio booth. I would say that Fisch and Buck play it more neutral than almost any other team's crew than I have heard.

I do think that IU would benefit from efforting a better radio product. I have a hard time believing that we don't have a sideline reporter for the broadcast, as most other programs do at this point. Could definitely take the burden off of Fisch and Buck to provide a lot of detail during the game regarding injuries, adjustments, etc.

Not sure who is in the pipeline or in line to go to PxP for football and/or basketball. I thought that it would have been Greg Murray, given that he handed the postgame call-in for football, WBB, baseball, etc. He had a good amount of experience in radio, but decided to move on to other things. I wonder if that was a product, even a bit, of Fisch maybe putting it out there that he wanted to handle PxP for a few more years.

The traffic situation is overblown.
Unless you live in the sticks and are completely immune to any type of rush hour, it isn’t that bad on 37/69. Getting through Martinsville is 15 minutes and they are putting state troopers through that town directing traffic this year.

Everyone says that about every broadcaster then people just kind of move on.
Nope. Some of the other announcers are really good. When Bill Mallory died the following season, when we were playing Ohio State, their radio announcers played the broadcast of Bill Mallory going into the Michigan State locker room to congratulate them for winning the Big Ten title and go out to Pasadena and kick some ass. It was awfully impressive. Mallory has been dead for at least for five months. And their tribute had absolutely nothing to do with the Ohio State Buckeyes.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
I personally like a later game but lots of kids were ready to go by 10:00 and Indy was a long commute on the disaster known at 37/69.
Can't argue any of that..., but..., the end result is, in my opinion, what should count most and that was that we nearly filled the place for an out of conference opponent that was an FCS team...

That's an impressive endorsement for future night games (in my opinion)...

I'm sure Scott Dolson noticed...

That I-69 project has to be a union job. I’ve not seen a project move slower. It’ll be 2030 before that there’s a timely route from Indy to Bloomington

Reactions: JBT Assoc
Night games are for Friday high school football. Game should be no later than 3:30 pm. Start tailgating in the morning go to the game, then you can go out for dinner/bars after and leave when you want, if you live out of town. A night game just ruins your whole evening and those driving back to Indy don’t get home until well past midnight if they stay for the whole game.

The noon kickoff for Cincinnati will be great - if they win go to Nick’s after and celebrate with fans, instead of having to drive home and fight the traffic if you live up north.
3:30 is the best.
Spreads out the ingress
Good tailgate time
Everyone can stay to the end
Can go home or go out, you still have a choice.

Reactions: Shadesof Crimson
Can't argue any of that..., but..., the end result is, in my opinion, what should count most and that was that we nearly filled the place for an out of conference opponent that was an FCS team...

That's an impressive endorsement for future night games (in my opinion)...

I'm sure Scott Dolson noticed...
Did not see the announced attendance

3:30 is the best.
Spreads out the ingress
Good tailgate time
Everyone can stay to the end
Can go home or go out, you still have a choice.

Sadly, it probably doesn't matter what you or I or even Scott Dolson think... From what I've seen and heard the sports networks seem to make the decisions involving kickoff time... 😞

Well this isn’t a massive overreaction or anything…

Well this isn’t a massive overreaction or
I may be a little bit over the top but hey it’s a discussion board and the purpose of a discussion is to elicit a response. I’m not questioning the contribution that these guys have made to Indiana University sports program. But I am think about Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman: What have you done for me lately?

A massive overreaction. On the contrary. Yes analogous to the situation of the band. They both are terrible.

My dad was a career officer in the military. After 30 years if you were not promoted to admiral or general you were out. The military needs to make room for new blood. Politics should be the same. And at some point sports announcers.

Fisch is absolutely terrible. And if you don’t acknowledge it it’s because you’re too much of a homer and/or you haven’t listened to him. Although he has the best of intentions, he is dragging the program down.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBT Assoc
I may be a little bit over the top but hey it’s a discussion board and the purpose of a discussion is to elicit a response. I’m not questioning the contribution that these guys have made to Indiana University sports program. But I am think about Willy Loman in Death of a Salesman: What have you done for me lately?

A massive overreaction. On the contrary. Yes analogous to the situation of the band. They both are terrible.

I thought it was a career officer in the military. After 30 years if you were not promoted to admiral or general you were out. The military needs to make room for new blood. Politics should be the same.

Fisch is absolutely terrible. And if you don’t acknowledge it it’s because you’re too much of a homer and/or you haven’t listenEd to him. Although he has the best of intentions, he is dragging the program down.
These are just opinions that you are stating as facts. Fish is the best and those that disagree are closet Purdue fans. See what I did there?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT