ADVERTISEMENT

Fisch and Suhr need to go.

Do all you guys melt after midnight or something here?
There is no surprise in all of this. Football games last 3 hrs 15 mins on average. That’s 11 pm as a leave the stadium time. Add a half hour to exiting the congestion.
Our fans say 12 pm is too early. 7:30 pm too late. 3:30 pm interferes with Judge Judy.
Other fan bases don’t complain whatsoever about start times. They plan and block out that section of their weekend. They know what to expect and there is no angst because it isn’t a surprise to them. Football in other communities is an event that is planned for. There is no clock to beat. No other thing that interferes with this block of time. Football in the South is something you devote time to.
Some people have something to do on Sunday morning. I'm a bishop and have services to cover. Although football is important to me and has always been, it is not my entire life. I've had season tickets to football, seems like forever but there are other things that are more important.

Reactions: brebelle3
Some people have something to do on Sunday morning. I'm a bishop and have services to cover. Although football is important to me and has always been, it is not my entire life. I've had season tickets to football, seems like forever but there are other things that are more important.

I'm sorry for your conflict (and appreciate you and your son for the True INDIANA Fans that you are) but, in my opinion, any game scheduled in August or September should be a night game...

The on field temperatures are actually dangerous during those two months for the bigger guys (and yeah..., I Know everyone does it but that doesn't make it either right or smart)...

A secondary consideration is that night games clearly give us a boost in attendance on both sides of the stadium)... I don't know the actual reason behind that but my guess is that many families are able to get their regular Saturday stuff done and still make it to the game... That may even be the case with the students although I suspect there are more social issues (as in it's a Happening and a relatively cheap date) involved...

Last edited:
Don Fischer has been an icon on IU sports radio ever since I can remember. Unless I'm mistaken he's been behind the mic for all 3 NCAA championship games in my lifetime ('76, '81, '87). He is cherished by many, although most are as old as I am. Today's fan doesn't listen to a game, every one of them is piped directly into the home live and in color!

Perhaps Fisch has lost a step, I don't know. In Indianapolis Jerry Baker is very much on par with Fisch. But, I think Jerry has lost a couple of steps and has hung around a little too long. Perhaps Fisch is in the same boat.

I used to listen to Don and have the TV on mute. Needless to say, I no longer find the need to go through all of this activity.

Don has lost more than a step. One of the huge reasons I fell in love with Indiana football is his ability to call the play and make you feel like you are there. Now... Now a 40-yard touchdown has the same enthusiasm as a 3 yard gain. Also, he doesn't call the play as it happens anymore. He just gives a recap after the play is over. I mean... he is getting awful, and Buck has lost anything that made me want him to stick around.

Reactions: brebelle3
I used to listen to Don and have the TV on mute. Needless to say, I no longer find the need to go through all of this activity.

Don has lost more than a step. One of the huge reasons I fell in love with Indiana football is his ability to call the play and make you feel like you are there. Now... Now a 40-yard touchdown has the same enthusiasm as a 3 yard gain. Also, he doesn't call the play as it happens anymore. He just gives a recap after the play is over. I mean... he is getting awful, and Buck has lost anything that made me want him to stick around.
Serious question ( because I really don't know) - but did Fish and Buck do games remotely last year ? If so, I can see how that could lead to some disjointed moments in broadcasts. I think you have to cut some slack to anyone trying to keep up with the action doing play-by-play. It might also account for some rust this season.

I don't listen to them very often since I go to all home games - except for recaps as I drive home or sometimes the very end of games that have long been decided. I still love the sound of Don Fischer's voice on my radio, but maybe that's more nostalgia than anything. I usually dvr away games and watch them later. It saves me time and frustration if we lose ( I often delete without watching) and allows me to take my time watching and replaying things if I want to digest a win ( and ff through the endless commercials and replays). If I do this I just use the actual broadcast for audio rather than try to synch the IU radio broadcast.

As much as I love Fisch, his habit of going long stretches without giving the score has always frustrated me. I've always thought he needed to use the old sportscaster prop with the hourglass to remind himself to repeat the score.

Reactions: jsenleo
Late in the third-quarter the two of them were going on and on complaining about how late it was going to be when they got home. With about 12 minutes to go in the game Suhr said that Indiana was playing a lot of players in the last 20 minutes of the game. Fish added that he did not know if Idaho was playing their first or second string. They laughed and about how the students all left at halftime and that by the end of the third-quarter most people were gone. That makes me want to buy a ticket!

If you are an Indiana Hoosier fan and you’re on the road driving with your kids, and listening to these two numbskulls call an Indiana game, there is absolutely nothing said that would motivate you to buy a ticket or catch your kids interest. I blame Fisch more than Suhr.. Suhr tries to carry him but it’s not very effective

I have no idea if the Hoosiers are playing man or zone. I never have an idea if anybody is controlling line of scrimmage. You can go to whole game without hearing Kaleb Jones name called. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I know Fisch is an icon of the program but he’s dragging it down.

And this year I have to pay to listen to these games on the Learfield radio. At least half a dozen times per night I listen to the same inane story about some high school players playing Jump on a boom box before they do their basketball warm-up layup drill. Nothing is fresh.

Know if they could get Coach Allen on the radio after the game because of technical issues. Since when is it being inept technical? These guys to a higher standard. If you listen to Michigan or Ohio State these guys sound like they’re announcing a high school game.

It's blowout material.

Do you want them to lie about the crowd? IU football has had their share of blowout losses at home, when the students who did show up left at halftime. Not sure it would be much different in a blowout win of a 7:30pm start, but at least this time they went inside from the tailgate parties.

It's blowout material.

Do you want them to lie about the crowd? IU football has had their share of blowout losses at home, when the students who did show up left at halftime. Not sure it would be much different in a blowout win of a 7:30pm start, but at least this time they went inside from the tailgate parties.
Talk about the game. Who is doing well, what is actually going on. They just ramble about nothing of importance anymore and it is kinda sad.

Talk about the game. Who is doing well, what is actually going on. They just ramble about nothing of importance anymore and it is kinda sad.

It's blowout material. I'm just telling you. You don't have to like it. You don't have understand it. It's never going to change.

Make another point....I'm listening...

It's blowout material.

In the history of broadcasting, that's what's done.

Seriously, make another point...

Nope...blowout material.

Want to know what 4th string linebacker made the tackle? Maybe you will...it's blowout material.

Turn out the lights, the party's over...

Late in the third-quarter the two of them were going on and on complaining about how late it was going to be when they got home. With about 12 minutes to go in the game Suhr said that Indiana was playing a lot of players in the last 20 minutes of the game. Fish added that he did not know if Idaho was playing their first or second string. They laughed and about how the students all left at halftime and that by the end of the third-quarter most people were gone. That makes me want to buy a ticket!

If you are an Indiana Hoosier fan and you’re on the road driving with your kids, and listening to these two numbskulls call an Indiana game, there is absolutely nothing said that would motivate you to buy a ticket or catch your kids interest. I blame Fisch more than Suhr.. Suhr tries to carry him but it’s not very effective

I have no idea if the Hoosiers are playing man or zone. I never have an idea if anybody is controlling line of scrimmage. You can go to whole game without hearing Kaleb Jones name called. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I know Fisch is an icon of the program but he’s dragging it down.

And this year I have to pay to listen to these games on the Learfield radio. At least half a dozen times per night I listen to the same inane story about some high school players playing Jump on a boom box before they do their basketball warm-up layup drill. Nothing is fresh.

Know if they could get Coach Allen on the radio after the game because of technical issues. Since when is it being inept technical? These guys to a higher standard. If you listen to Michigan or Ohio State these guys sound like they’re announcing a high school game.
God, this needed to be said.
I'm sorry, Fisch is just an awful play-by-play guy. He has been living on the apathy of the Indiana football fanbase forever.

Hey Don, how about a down-and-distance update? And heaven forbid, what about the formation we're in? Good grief, I'm not asking for Wayne Larivee level detail, but geez, do a little homework and inform the fanbase. Honestly, Buck's knowledge of the game is being wasted working with Don on football. It is small, hometown level announcing.

It's blowout material. I'm just telling you. You don't have to like it. You don't have understand it. It's never going to change.

Make another point....I'm listening...

It's blowout material.

In the history of broadcasting, that's what's done.

Seriously, make another point...

Nope...blowout material.

Want to know what 4th string linebacker made the tackle? Maybe you will...it's blowout material.

Turn out the lights, the party's over...

Thanks for linking Dandy Don. That brought a smile to my face. I really enjoyed those early Monday night football days. I was back in college then and I remember everyone and I mean everyone watching Monday night football.Three very good announcers telling me what I was looking at!

God, this needed to be said.
I'm sorry, Fisch is just an awful play-by-play guy. He has been living on the apathy of the Indiana football fanbase forever.

Hey Don, how about a down-and-distance update? And heaven forbid, what about the formation we're in? Good grief, I'm not asking for Wayne Larivee level detail, but geez, do a little homework and inform the fanbase. Honestly, Buck's knowledge of the game is being wasted working with Don on football. It is small, hometown level announcing.

Blowout material.

Thanks for linking Dandy Don. That brought a smile to my face. I really enjoyed those early Monday night football days. I was back in college then and I remember everyone and I mean everyone watching Monday night football.Three very good announcers telling me what I was looking at!
One of the great moments was one of the early seasons of MNF. The game was at Houston and the camera was focused on a sleeping fan. He woke up to see the camera on him and he flipped it off. I thought that was hilarious! Meredith explained that he thought the guy was indicating the network was number one.

Reactions: 13thman
Blowout material.
If you're gonna repost what I wrote, then at least read what I said. Never in my post did I comment on last weekend's broadcast. And I'm not talking about their filler material or vamping, genius. I'm talking about nuts and bolts play-by-play broadcasting. Which Don doesn't do in football anymore.

Do you even listen to the games?

Not talking about just this game. It is every game. When the hell is the last time he ever gave a formation we are in?
Ever....

Waiting.........

On offense or defense, for that matter.

Fischer needs to retire from football. He's offers as little as possible on his end. Not good for a play-by-play guy. He is passing time until basketball season. Been that way for a long, long time.

Last edited:
If you're gonna repost what I wrote, then at least read what I said. Never in my post did I comment on last weekend's broadcast. And I'm not talking about their filler material or vamping, genius. I'm talking about nuts and bolts play-by-play broadcasting. Which Don doesn't do in football anymore.

Not talking about just this game. It is every game. When the hell is the last time he ever gave a formation we are in?
Ever....

Waiting.........

Fischer needs to retire from football. He's offers as little as possible on his end. Not good for a play-by-play guy. He is passing time until basketball season. Been that way for a long, long time.

Triggered!

Fletch, you're not challenging.

Hoe!
Weak Bloom.

And typical.

Tell us again how Alabama fired Ray Perkins..........

And Bill Curry.........

And Gene Stallings.........

And Dennis Franchione.........

And shouldn't have fired Mike Shula because they "only" gave him four years.

Out of your depth, buddy boy.

Ever....

Waiting.........

Well, it seems to me that you’re just flat out lying or to be fairer maybe exaggerating. I’ve not listened to any broadcasts yet this year but I listened to several last year and heard him doing exactly what you’re saying he doesn’t do. Giving down and distance, updating the score, describing formations, etc.

Well, it seems to me that you’re just flat out lying or to be fairer maybe exaggerating. I’ve not listened to any broadcasts yet this year but I listened to several last year and heard him doing exactly what you’re saying he doesn’t do. Giving down and distance, updating the score, describing formations, etc.
Never has given a formation.

Ever......

Listen.

Yeah this is how i read all of this and two things can be true:

They do a better job than was descibed here by both IU fans and a PU troll. There was blowout filler last week to be sure.

Fisch has never been as good with FB as he is with BB (no one is). We love hearing his voice but now that IU FB is on the rise it might be time to get a younger sharper FB person. I suspect Fisch is ready to hang up FB and do a couple more seasons of BB.

Weak Bloom.

And typical.

Tell us again how Alabama fired Ray Perkins..........

And Bill Curry.........

And Gene Stallings.........

And Dennis Franchione.........

And shouldn't have fired Mike Shula because they "only" gave him four years.

Out of your depth, buddy boy.

Oh Fletch, the point was Alabama didn't just land on Saban. They went through many coaches to get to that point, and that rifling through coaches didn't truly help their cause any.

Curry's extension didn't include the ability to hire or fire his own assistants. Stallings won a national title, but also landed Alabama on probation. Dumping DuBose in the wake of that was a big part of what caused Franchione to bolt, despite a 10 year contract extension.

It doesn't take much to catch up to your football knowledge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT