ADVERTISEMENT

Saban on CCC shot with Memorial Stadium background

Am I the only one who doesn’t give a damn about Gameday, ESPN, or what they have to say? People on here talk about getting on Gameday like it’s the holy grail when they’re not even relevant anymore, especially if you’re a B10 fan. 20 or 25 years ago I would understand the obsession, but not now.
Not even relevant anymore LOL

Thigh slapper

Hope so. Media rights keep going up and the quick math makes it look like the $ is there even with the rev share starting, though it’s hard to be sure as an outsider.

What’s the value of things like getting on Big Noon? It was a two hour commercial for IU on national network TV today. Stuff like this adds up to millions of $ of advertising value. FB pays for itself. Not even counting our game day rev will be up by several million $ this year.

The other factor imo is NIL. Hard to know our FB NIL number, I assume around $4M. Maybe that can double if our big donors get excited. The staff would like that too.
$6-7mil is more than worth the investment if IU consistently has crowds like it enjoyed today. Not in question. Cannot squander this.

Cig could command one of those massive all guaranteed type contracts, from several schools.

I'm thinking the chances are great he stays. At nearly double what he's getting now. 7-8 mil. I don't think he'll hold us up, but if it's a bump to just 5-6 million a year vs others offering 9-10, with many years of that second one fully guaranteed... How could he not consider it? And he'll be offered it elsewhere. And his buyout is chump change to those schools.

He says the wife loves it here, and I'm sure he'll get a big bump and big guarantee. So my bet is we keep him. May lose Shanahan... If so Sunseri might be the OC anyway.

The good thing is how many times Cig has said he has 'everything he needs' here, to win. I've heard it several times in interviews.
The wife matters, keep her happy.

Honestly, other than live games, the only "show" I watch on ESPN...every Saturday...like clockwork. LOVE it.

Usually even tune in around 8:30 or so during the end of SportsCenter because it's already usually pre-GameDay.

I'll switch over to BigNoon occasionally...even B10 Tailgate, just to see the scene.

B10 Tailgate's like that cool Indie band that comes through to the Vogue or White River...

BigNoon's like Foo Fighters or Weezer at Deer Creek or Banker's Life...

GameDay's like having the Eras Tour...or (now) Oasis coming to Lucas Oil. 😄

Honestly, other than live games, the only "show" I watch on ESPN...every Saturday...like clockwork. LOVE it.

Usually even tune in around 8:30 or so during the end of SportsCenter because it's already usually pre-GameDay.

I'll switch over to BigNoon occasionally...even B10 Tailgate, just to see the scene.

B10 Tailgate's like that cool Indie band that comes through to the Vogue or White River...

BigNoon's like Foo Fighters or Weezer at Deer Creek or Banker's Life...

GameDay's like having the Eras Tour...or (now) Oasis coming to Lucas Oil. 😄
It is only show on ESPN I watch too.

Reactions: red hornet
I don’t see Cig leaving Indiana for a blue blood program except maybe Alabama who I would be shocked if they fire Deboer after 1 year. Cig comes off to me as someone who likes the challenge of building something up and most blue blood football programs don’t offer that same challenge. He also has never been one and done at any previous stop. I think Cig stays at least for a few more seasons, but I do hope the boosters help Indiana ante up on this staff. I hope we can keep the staff in place and stave off any lateral job moves. I can see Shanahan and/or Haines getting offers after this season and hope they stay unless offered a head gig although I do think the offense will be fine if Tino takes the reins as OC. It is less clear to me what we do for defense other than an outside hire if we lose Haines.

If Alabama does inexplicably fire Deboer I would happily take him in as a trade if necessary. I don’t blame him for Alabama’s struggles this year except maybe his decision to make Sheridan his OC. Alabama is a complicated situation. I think Cig’s immediate success is due to his ability to flip the roster with so many players who know his system and coaching style. Deboer didn’t have that opportunity at Alabama. I mean are you going to push out a bunch of 5 star players to bring in players from Washington and maybe Fresno State? I don’t think that would have gone over well, but that’s the blueprint he would have had to follow to duplicate Cigs short term success and even the success he had a Washington. I think long term Deboer will have Alabama back in the title hunt and would be a perfect fall back plan if Alabama tries to pursue Cig because their fan base feels entitled and is impatient.

I don’t see Cig leaving Indiana for a blue blood program except maybe Alabama who I would be shocked if they fire Deboer after 1 year. Cig comes off to me as someone who likes the challenge of building something up and most blue blood football programs don’t offer that same challenge. He also has never been one and done at any previous stop. I think Cig stays at least for a few more seasons, but I do hope the boosters help Indiana ante up on this staff. I hope we can keep the staff in place and stave off any lateral job moves. I can see Shanahan and/or Haines getting offers after this season and hope they stay unless offered a head gig although I do think the offense will be fine if Tino takes the reins as OC. It is less clear to me what we do for defense other than an outside hire if we lose Haines.

If Alabama does inexplicably fire Deboer I would happily take him in as a trade if necessary. I don’t blame him for Alabama’s struggles this year except maybe his decision to make Sheridan his OC. Alabama is a complicated situation. I think Cig’s immediate success is due to his ability to flip the roster with so many players who know his system and coaching style. Deboer didn’t have that opportunity at Alabama. I mean are you going to push out a bunch of 5 star players to bring in players from Washington and maybe Fresno State? I don’t think that would have gone over well, but that’s the blueprint he would have had to follow to duplicate Cigs short term success and even the success he had a Washington. I think long term Deboer will have Alabama back in the title hunt and would be a perfect fall back plan if Alabama tries to pursue Cig because their fan base feels entitled and is impatient.

I think Deboer problem is that his team lacks discipline... I'd take Cignetti over him any day... Deboer is good but not great... From what I'm seeing Cignetti may very well turn out to be considered Great if he sticks around and actually builds something here...

I'd be up for bring back the 'Bama Strength and Conditioning guys as extremely highly paid assistants to the guy we have if they'd go for a reduced title (which is unlikely)...

Derek Owings et al, our S&C coaches, IMO, has done a great job for Coach Cignetti. We're good here.

I agree..., but good is the enemy of Great 😉😎...

I'd only want the Alabama (former IU) duo as assistants or executive advisors, augmenting our S&C guys, while keeping what's working intact...

Doubt it's an area we'll even have an opportunity to consider... If Deboer goes belly up down there I'm sure his S&C guys will be among the first to be rehired somewhere (or possibly even be the only ones retained...)...

Just figured while we're daydreaming about the future...

I want to go on record now by saying I'm extremely impressed by what our current Strength & Conditioning staff has accomplished since last winter; particularly by whatever they did this past summer...

So far, our in game injuries that could be attributed to a lack of flexibility or conditioning have been close to zero (aside from the WR who just quit and he's had hamstring injury issues going back to Clemson)... and the TEAM cohesion on the field had to have been achieved primarily during S&C training away from public eyes...

Impressive work...

This current S&C staff should be recognized as being a major factor in our success to date...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT