ADVERTISEMENT

Run it back leal and galloway!!

As a Purdue fan I was not happy to see Galloway returning. He has deficiencies but the kid plays hard. He drives to the basket with effectiveness. If he figures out his free throw shooting he will be solid.
I agree, it's a bad image for an Indiana kid like Gallo to walk away with one more season.

As for figuring out his FTs...let's be honest, if you don't have your FTs figured out by the time you're 22 yrs old, playing high P5 ball for the past 4 yrs...I don't know what else to tell you. His shot mechanics have always been broken, and it's pretty obvious it's in his head now. His FTs and his 3pt percentages are down this year.

Why are you so convinced of that? Internet rumors during the fall, McNeely decommitment, what you personally have heard or this board. There have been rumors of tons of people leaving every year, but I doubt a mass exodus. Obviously, we know X and Walker for sure have no more eligibility left. Leal and Galloway say they are coming back. Ware most likely gone NBA. Others wanting a chance or a bigger role probably portal transfer.

The season has not been good although 6th place was what analyst projected for Indiana in the Big Ten. The next two weeks will give us a better idea what we have coming back and how many positions we need to fill. Let us revisit this discussion after our season is complete it will not be long.
rational thinking has no place on this board.

There have been several false flags the past 2 weeks and I'm done believing anything coming from those Twitter/X whores...Trilly, etc.....have swung and missed more than once. Gonna just wait and see what happens between April - July. That's when next season will be made, or lost. But CMW does have a hard sell to PGs and SGs on why it would make sense to come to a program that is near the bottom in 3pt shooting and runs offense from the inside-out. Those are not the two bullet points with which I would begin my elevator speech.

this team's weakness is guard play and 3pt shooting.
CMW has experienced little success in recruiting backcourt talent, either through the portal or the old fashioned, organic recruiting out of high school. JHS is the only one, and he was only here a few months and CMW couldn't fill his shoes this year.

The fact that McN reneged and all other high level PGs (Boogie) turned him down, along with X's departure (both good X and bad X), CMW has to pull in 2 solid backcourt guys from the portal this spring. AND...and this is a BIG AND....figure out how to fill the hole left by Ware. Because he's not returning, no matter how hard you wish it.

Very curious to see what MR and MM do. that will be huge. If they split, then we're screwed next yr regardless because Woody isn't going to grab an entirely new starting 5 of talented players out of the portal. If they stay, and he can grab some help in the backcourt, then next year might not be terrible.

Let's hope Gallo can play this week. I appreciate Leal's efforts yesterday, but talent-wise, it was pretty obvious he's in over his head against a team with backcourt talent like MSU.
I’d guess the staff is desperate to keep MR and MM and the NIL at IU for them will be much higher than anyone else. We know our big NIL donors support Woody.

MM has improved here, and even he might admit he wasn’t quite ready for the pros, and I suspect he stays. Plus he will make more at IU than whatever pro gig he can get.

McNeeley really hurts, he was exactly what we need. Portal job is much tougher now.

This thread has almost ALL of the folks that are butthurt we've won 4 in a row in it. It's really entertaining.
not butthurt here. I'm glad they salvaged the rest of the B1G season and always hate to watch seniors having to speak after losing their last game at home. I've already laid out the plan in my head that sees IU vs PU on Sunday and we're suddenly making a strong argument to get into the tourney. Although PU is a terrible matchup for us and I don't see how we could ever beat the lineup they have this year.
My concern is more in the 1-4 yr out range. Why the program cannot lure the best backcourt talent. If you took IU's frontcourt yesterday, and paired it with the backcourt of MSU....that's a team that's hard to beat. That's where we need to be.

I’d guess the staff is desperate to keep MR and MM and the NIL at IU for them will be much higher than anyone else. We know our big NIL donors support Woody.

MM has improved here, and even he might admit he wasn’t quite ready for the pros, and I suspect he stays. Plus he will make more at IU than whatever pro gig he can get.

McNeeley really hurts, he was exactly what we need. Portal job is much tougher now.
yes losing McN really killed a nice little mood change around here after 3 wins. He's exactly what the team needed. All those trips to Orlando and nothing to show for it.

Portal season will be crazy this spring.

not butthurt here. I'm glad they salvaged the rest of the B1G season and always hate to watch seniors having to speak after losing their last game at home. I've already laid out the plan in my head that sees IU vs PU on Sunday and we're suddenly making a strong argument to get into the tourney. Although PU is a terrible matchup for us and I don't see how we could ever beat the lineup they have this year.
My concern is more in the 1-4 yr out range. Why the program cannot lure the best backcourt talent. If you took IU's frontcourt yesterday, and paired it with the backcourt of MSU....that's a team that's hard to beat. That's where we need to be.
Not directed at you. I have concerns about our program for certain, but some of these bozos can't even enjoy a few good wins.

Not directed at you. I have concerns about our program for certain, but some of these bozos can't even enjoy a few good wins.
we were so close to putting together a decent season. CMW has a lot of work to do in landing some backcourt talent through the portal. It's really the only way the team can improve next year.

Our FT shooting still drives me insane. We did everything we could yesterday to lose that game at the FT line. That's what happens when you run your offense from the inside-out...the players taking the bulk of your FTs are not your best shooters. Same thing with TJD and I loved him as a player but he took half our FTs. We need guards who shoot 80%+ getting to the line late in a game...you know, just like most every other good team in the nation.

Again he is not lazy, this is a common talking point. He is not going to report to you, what he is doing. You are not his boss.

Whether he is lazy or not really doesn't matter. As long as he brings in good players and produces wins, who cares if he does it from Napa or while smoking cigars in the pole barn. Just win.

It appears that he has a solid group coming back next season, and no mass defections. If he can pick up a couple of key pieces in the portal we could be halfway decent next season. I'm not buying into the total collapse that a lot of people are suggesting.

Reactions: Willdog7 and asindc
I’d guess we are a border line tourney team next year. A good portal and we could be a high seed.

Not a collapse, but not competing at a high level in recruiting/B1G/NCAA (Dolson’s stated goals). The zone of pain.

Whether he is lazy or not really doesn't matter. As long as he brings in good players and produces wins, who cares if he does it from Napa or while smoking cigars in the pole barn. Just win.

It appears that he has a solid group coming back next season, and no mass defections. If he can pick up a couple of key pieces in the portal we could be halfway decent next season. I'm not buying into the total collapse that a lot of people are suggesting.
"If he can pick up a couple of key pieces"

I'd take Scalia, Parrish and Garzon to start with. haha

Next season is gonna look like Crean's first season at IU. Players aren't playing for a coach who throws them under the bus constantly. And taking recruiting for granted. This ain't a major player in basketball until IU gets a major coach who values recruiting,coaching and the fan base.
Did you hear the senior remarks yesterday? They all love Woodson.

I’d guess we are a border line tourney team next year. A good portal and we could be a high seed.

Not a collapse, but not competing at a high level in recruiting/B1G/NCAA (Dolson’s stated goals). The zone of pain.

There's generally quite a delta between what fans wish for, and what is accepted as good enough to maintain the status quo. This isn't unique to IU. It's easy for fans to demand everything.

That team would be the national champion favorite.

There's generally quite a delta between what fans wish for, and what is accepted as good enough to maintain the status quo. This isn't unique to IU. It's easy for fans to demand everything.
There is a delta, but this big of a delta is more unique to IU. If UK, KU, or UNC were in our situation their admin would be scrambling to make changes.

And I’m not sure our fans are that demanding. At the beginning of this season our fans were happy with one tourney win in two years and an unranked team going into year three (with our rival ranked around #1 again).

Sports isn’t a do or die priority at IU. Is what it is. I could see Woody finishing his contract. Maybe the next coach is better.

There is a delta, but this big of a delta is more unique to IU. If UK, KU, or UNC were in our situation their admin would be scrambling to make changes.

And I’m not sure our fans are that demanding. At the beginning of this season our fans were happy with one tourney win in two years and an unranked team going into year three (with our rival ranked around #1 again).

Sports isn’t a do or die priority at IU. Is what it is. I could see Woody finishing his contract. Maybe the next coach is better.

I've said many times that IU doesn't prioritize athletics in the way that many other schools do. Knight was, perhaps, a bit of good fortune for the basketball program...a young Army coach who turned out to be a basketball genius. It seems unlikely that is going to happen again at IU.

I imagine there's a good chance that Woodson makes it through his contract. We almost recovered enough to make the tourney this season, so I'd have to think we'll be better next season. I'm not a Woodson fan, but rooting for disaster in order to make a change is no way to watch your team.

Reactions: asindc
I've said many times that IU doesn't prioritize athletics in the way that many other schools do. Knight was, perhaps, a bit of good fortune for the basketball program...a young Army coach who turned out to be a basketball genius. It seems unlikely that is going to happen again at IU.

I imagine there's a good chance that Woodson makes it through his contract. We almost recovered enough to make the tourney this season, so I'd have to think we'll be better next season. I'm not a Woodson fan, but rooting for disaster in order to make a change is no way to watch your team.
"Knight was, perhaps, a bit of good fortune for the basketball program...a young Army coach who turned out to be a basketball genius."

Just my thoughts here: Knight also demanded RESPECT out of the players.....for the Coaching staff, for elders and people of authority. This is something that I believe that has been lost in some of today's youth.

I felt that he also recruited players that could THINK critically and were smart. (this goes to the issue of all of our Turnovers lately... we had a total of 16 in yesterday's MSU game. Which is a factor in why we only won by 1 point)

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie

Yea. As I said with a good portal we could make the tourney next year, which would probably be better than this year. I'm pretty sure we keep MR and MM. Ware is a lot of production to replace though, and we haven't been doing well with recruiting, so not sure if we can flip a switch and start killing it in the portal. Tbd.

It is a bummer we waste all the resources IU has to be a team that doesn't compete for much.

As for cheering for disaster, I doubt many people want to do that. It's a reaction when it appears the only catalyst for change is a meltdown. Keeping a bad bball coach does create a lot of negatives -- it's worse for the players that don't reach their potential and school (revenue, brand/image/marketing). But whatever, it's not worth arguing about, we've got the Woody show for the next few years.

As for cheering for disaster, I doubt many people want to do that. It's a reaction when it appears the only catalyst for change is a meltdown. Keeping a bad bball coach does create a lot of negatives -- it's worse for the players that don't reach their potential and school (revenue, brand/image/marketing). But whatever, it's not worth arguing about, we've got the Woody show for the next few years.

I've been there. I found myself hoping for the worst in the latter stages of Mike Davis, and Tom Crean. It's deflating. I'd never tell anyone how to be a fan, but for me today I'm more inclined to simply move my attention to other things as opposed to fretting about the coach. Whatever is going to happen on and off the court is going to happen anyway. I've rather given up on any return to the Glory Days of old.

Now, if you really want to wake up the Bloomington Brass, maybe you should root for Purdue to win the title this season. Watching your in-State rival reach the pinnacle while you're not even making the show...that would have to get someone's attention, right?

I could never do that myself. Fsck Purdue.

Reactions: Al Bino
I've been there. I found myself hoping for the worst in the latter stages of Mike Davis, and Tom Crean. It's deflating. I'd never tell anyone how to be a fan, but for me today I'm more inclined to simply move my attention to other things as opposed to fretting about the coach. Whatever is going to happen on and off the court is going to happen anyway. I've rather given up on any return to the Glory Days of old.

Now, if you really want to wake up the Bloomington Brass, maybe you should root for Purdue to win the title this season. Watching your in-State rival reach the pinnacle while you're not even making the show...that would have to get someone's attention, right?

Ha. Agree Purdue winning would cause a stir — though yes that is the nightmare of nightmares.

My generation does not demand a NC every year and never has. The goal is to compete for the Big title every year & sometimes make a good run in the NCAA’s. I think the frustration of mediocrity not just for a short period of time but for decades has boiled over.
I wonder if IU will ever land another great coach but I wonder if the Branch McCracken fans were thinking the same thing. That gives me some hope.

Reactions: Shuski

Pretty much where I am at I know woodson is not the answer but they are bringing him back so not much you can do. I really dont invest much time in watching games anymore I just follow some on my phone. I did yardwork yesterday afternoon actually. Last year to me is woodsons ceiling so I certainly do not expect much from him moving forward. Hopefully one day we actaully make a good hire but i have my doubts.

My generation does not demand a NC every year and never has. The goal is to compete for the Big title every year & sometimes make a good run in the NCAA’s. I think the frustration of mediocrity not just for a short period of time but for decades has boiled over.
I wonder if IU will ever land another great coach but I wonder if the Branch McCracken fans were thinking the same thing. That gives me some hope.
It’s not likely we get it right, but there are several coaches who could do well here. IU has it all — it’s like a fast racecar, with the right driver we could win a lot, but our last several drivers aren’t quick and also crash a lot.

Keep in mind McCracken left in 1965, and Bob Knight arrived in 1971. There wasn't that big of a gap. We've hired 5 coaches in the last 24 years since Knight (not including Dakich). I'm starting to relax my expectations.

It’s not likely we get it right, but there are several coaches who could do well here. IU has it all — it’s like a fast racecar, with the right driver we could win a lot, but our last several drivers aren’t quick and also crash a lot.
And then you add the "Crew Chief" to the mix....and the Drivers Spotter.... and the pit crew.
Many parts to a great team and they all have to function well together.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Keep in mind McCracken left in 1965, and Bob Knight arrived in 1971. There wasn't that big of a gap. We've hired 5 coaches in the last 24 years since Knight (not including Dakich). I'm starting to relax my expectations.
Exactly correct. IU recovered quickly then, but the frustrations have been boiling for decades now. I should just walk away but I’m the guy who keeps asking out the head cheerleader after she’s rejected me ten times.

And then you add the "Crew Chief" to the mix....and the Drivers Spotter.... and the pit crew.
Many parts to a great team and they all have to function well together.
For sure...but NONE of those other things matter if you don't have a fast car. IU provides the fast car in this analogy. I'm sure that won't last forever. And maybe we're getting to the end of having the fast car. But we still have one...we still have NIL advantages. We still have 15+ thousand fans in the stands pretty much every game. We still have national appeal.

I've said it a bunch of times recently, we don't need RMK/Coach K to walk through the door. We just need someone that can teach the game, play an attractive style, and work his ass off on the recruiting trail. There are probably a hundred guys out there that would do those 3 things well, and would win big at IU because of it.

Its mind numbingly frustrating we haven't been able to find someone since RMK that could do all of those things.

Exactly correct. IU recovered quickly then, but the frustrations have been boiling for decades now. I should just walk away but I’m the guy who keeps asking out the head cheerleader after she’s rejected me ten times.

I don't see why people need to walk away. Acceptance of one's current place while maintaining hope for better is enough. But then again I'm a long time Ferrari fan so this is nothing to me.

I don't see why people need to walk away. Acceptance of one's current place while maintaining hope for better is enough. But then again I'm a long time Ferrari fan so this is nothing to me.
That’s tough. Maranello is even more political than IUBB lol.

Hopefully they can get Charles a title challenging car when the formula changes. That would be cool.

Reactions: Hank Reardon
IMO Cupps will return everyone in forgetting about Newton. eventhough he did not play this year due to injury/rehab it was reported that he is a shooter and a solid defender.

Everyone just needs to chill and see how things play out in the off season.

Hey, I am an IU football fan since a kid in 1967 and thought we had it rolling going to the Rose Bowl. Then the Knight years and school 1976-1980 added to my fandom, Jerry Yeagley and Doc Councilman added to my being a fan of all sports. So I may be more forgiving than the majority of men's basketball fans only. Not happy just try to be positive as possible. They have made the decision so let it play out and we can discuss where we stand in late April or early May.

IMO Cupps will return everyone in forgetting about Newton. eventhough he did not play this year due to injury/rehab it was reported that he is a shooter and a solid defender.

Everyone just needs to chill and see how things play out in the off season.
Newton was in full uniform yesterday. I'm sure he's a little bulkier than he'll be when he's fully healthy and playing, but the dude looks like a linebacker!

Bloomington real estate is a small world :)
I don't know what his ambition is...but attacking Indianapolis and Louisville would be on my longer term plans if I were Anthony. And I'd be using this "free money" from NIL, to help me set up the foundations for that.

Reactions: CriticArisen
If you had any clue what I was referring to maybe I would care what you said. I never said that Leal is the answer to our future. I will take Galloway and Leal as part of my 13 man roster any day. I will wait until the end of the season and part of the off season before I feel that we have a decent team or not. I have discussed what I see as shortcomings, but you are so over the top in assessments that I will go back to refraining from responding to you.
That'd why your as dumb as Woodson to building a roster. Listen Leal great kid but is not a big ten caliber player. Galloway is a sixth man at best we need mutiple players better then them to be a good team.

This doesn't seem likely, at this point. The player he threw under the bus more than any other, Trey, is seemingly coming back for a 5th year.

To me, everything that's happened recently, and is happening, points towards more players being back than most have guessed on this board.

Until we know what the roster is going to look like though, no one has a clue what next year is going to look like. But I gotta think, if Leal and Galloway thought it was going to be a dumpster fire, they probably wouldn't have announced they're coming back the way they did.
Leal is staying. So what. Were would he go?

Leal is staying. So what. Were would he go?
Full time real estate?

Going through another offseason, and then playing in another full season, is a grind. Obviously I have no idea of his mindset...but everything that I do know of Anthony, he wouldn't coming back if he knew he and Trey were the "only" ones coming back, and there was THAT much uncertainty on the players they'd be playing with.

Maybe the NIL money is that attractive to him though?

Full time real estate?

Going through another offseason, and then playing in another full season, is a grind. Obviously I have no idea of his mindset...but everything that I do know of Anthony, he wouldn't coming back if he knew he and Trey were the "only" ones coming back, and there was THAT much uncertainty on the players they'd be playing with.

Maybe the NIL money is that attractive to him though?
A huge part of real estate success is just getting your name out there and familiar to people. I'm not sure how much more another year playing at IU will help with that, but it surely won't hurt.

A huge part of real estate success is just getting your name out there and familiar to people. I'm not sure how much more another year playing at IU will help with that, but it surely won't hurt.
Notoriety goes both ways...not sure being associated with a horrible IU team would help him in the long run either. Logic tells me he's coming back because he knows they have a solid core returning...and then obviously the NIL money plays a role too. But I would be very surprised if it were ALL about the NIL/Real Estate exposure.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT