ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor

I am glad I grew up as one of the last groups that would get sent to the office and receive a paddling when we screwed up. I'm glad our coach made us practice in the heat and humidity that they can't do today. I'm glad our coach could push or shove us into the right position when we weren't doing it right.

Some of you might be horrified at the prospect of a coach shoving a lineman with a foot on his ass to get him to fire off the ball. Nobody complained of abuse even to each other. Instead we learned in a hurry what coach wanted. We never felt like shoving back (at least not too much).

Coaches weren't abusive. They didn't have time to waste explaining the same thing over and over to each person.

RMK was no different than my coaches or the men I grew up around. Me and every kid in Southern Indiana survived a month of two a day practices and probably feel as I do that there is nothing I can't get through

My daughter has a student that throws chairs and tells her everyday that he hates her. The way she is supposed to treat him is to give a reward when he doesn't throw a chair or cuss her out. I like my 4th grade teachers' methods better. I never saw a kid cuss out or throw a chair at a teacher. We didn't need rewards for normal behavior.
Your daughter has a student who throws chairs and cusses people out, and no one will intervene and insist that he stop behaving in such a childish manner? Really? And he shouldn’t be rewarded for behaving normally? Can you get fired from the 4th grade?

Well, and I hope you don't take this wrong, but you probably can't take it any other way, I'd say you're a Knight apologist. We're discussing the decline of his coaching and our program, in what were the most miserable years of his career, and I've yet to see you say 1 thing you think he did wrong. I think you'd take him at his word for anything he said. Knight's a bully and he's always used intimidation to get his way. Coming in head first was his way of getting Sherron's attention so he understood the message and gravity of it. I say this as someone who had/has a temper and have headbutted someone when I was pissed to get their attention. It says, "I care more and I'm tougher than you and that's part of the problem...". I have as much doubt that he intended that headbutt, as I do that I'll get wet if I walk out in the nasty rainstorm we are having... maybe less. I'm not arguing if it was smart, I'm saying it was intentional. If you disagree, well, see sentence #1, imo.
I make no apology for being a Knight apologist and if that offends you, I apologize. That said, so you’re saying that because you personally use the head butt as an attention-getting teaching tool because it’s effective, Knight does, too, and it couldn’t possibly have been accidental, despite Knight saying it was? S-o-o-o, tell me more about this headbutt form of discipline. My dad whipped my bare legs with his belt so hard one day that I had welts. After that, discipline became much easier as just a touch to his belt buckle had the boy backpedaling for mercy. He never got to head butting - didn’t have to. Tell me something about your technique, since you appear to be the authority on it. Is this something where you lower your head and hit ’em with the crown or with your forehead to better see the fear in their eyes? I have no doubt it gets their attention, but have you ever thought of putting a helmet on, or is your utter rage too spontaneous for that? Knight couldn’t use that technique today without putting his player on two weeks concussion protocol, minimum. If you find yourself suffering from frequent headaches you might want to consider some Anger Management classes. Tell Jack “abraxis” over there at Hoosier.com says, “Hi!”.

I’ll defend Bob Knight until the day I die with the epilate on my tombstone, “Knight and Trumpyou remember the head-butting incident. It happened right as Knight approached Sherron after the kid took a seat on the bench. I think his momentum carried him into his head, meaning only to get into his face like every other scolding. I wouldn’t say this if Knight was seen jawing at him and later rearing back to whack foreheads. If this is such a proven teaching technique, why hadn’t Knight ever used it before or after this particular time? Bob Knight got hired to win games and if it took military-inspired discipline to create t

i need to research things before some of my statements and I apologize for screwing up again. Neil Reed transferred to So Miss, not LSU, and it was Ricky Calloway who transferred to Kansas. I always thought Calloway and Miller looked similar. Charlie played all four years for the Hoosiers.

Yes, I know you'll defend RMK until you die, as I said, refer to sentence one. Ummm, it's not a "technique", there is no book or seminar on the "Head Butting Motivational Technique", it's simply born out of frustration and anger, and he used that technique in various ways throughout his career. Same disgusted angry look on his face that he had when he employed the famous "walk directly at the referee" technique with TV Ted.

I make no apology for being a Knight apologist and if that offends you, I apologize. That said, so you’re saying that because you personally use the head butt as an attention-getting teaching tool because it’s effective, Knight does, too, and it couldn’t possibly have been accidental, despite Knight saying it was? S-o-o-o, tell me more about this headbutt form of discipline. My dad whipped my bare legs with his belt so hard one day that I had welts. After that, discipline became much easier as just a touch to his belt buckle had the boy backpedaling for mercy. He never got to head butting - didn’t have to. Tell me something about your technique, since you appear to be the authority on it. Is this something where you lower your head and hit ’em with the crown or with your forehead to better see the fear in their eyes? I have no doubt it gets their attention, but have you ever thought of putting a helmet on, or is your utter rage too spontaneous for that? Knight couldn’t use that technique today without putting his player on two weeks concussion protocol, minimum. If you find yourself suffering from frequent headaches you might want to consider some Anger Management classes. Tell Jack “abraxis” over there at Hoosier.com says, “Hi!”.

No, I'm not saying it's effective at all, I'm saying, as someone who let anger get the best of him in the past to that degree, I recognize the look, and can tell you 100% it's not thought out and you don't worry about hurting yourself, it's born out of sheer frustration and anger.

Again Id doubt youd feel this strongly had Knight won that 02' championship.

I'm not sure why you think that's a point to be made: yes, if you could change history, I'd feel differently about it. And I could play the same "what if" game, as you'd probably feel differently about that stretch if we hadn't won an NC in 87, right? I don't feel strongly about it at all, it's just a fact, like a recession: that was the worst stretch of his IU career. All I'm saying, and what you and others seem to refute or be unable to accept is that RMK bears a lot of the responsibility for it. The funny thing is, I think he'd say the same thing, and he's alluded to the fact many times that he should have left before it got to that point.

The RMK can do no wrong crowd, just assume he'd have won the championship in '02 with that team because they got to the final, but I'd say that recent history suggested they'd have flamed out earlier. Look at that roster compared to our other NC teams; I still shake my head that they got to the final game. Outside of outstanding forwards in Haston and Jeffries, it's really a pretty average roster. I don't think they'd have gotten within double digits of any of the other NC teams, and several that didn't win NCs. It was like one of those runs baseball teams get on at times, where they and events come together. And, just for the record, I love RMK and what he did for the school, program, fans and state. I just can see the warts too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
No, I'm not saying it's effective at all, I'm saying, as someone who let anger get the best of him in the past to that degree, I recognize the look, and can tell you 100% it's not thought out and you don't worry about hurting yourself, it's born out of sheer frustration and anger.
The Head-Butt Technique for Player Motivation is not nearly as subtle as Kotex In Locker Technique that Knight instigated for Landon Turner to find, but it proved to be as effective, if not more so.

Heard that from your neighbor who heard it from his Sports Clips Hair Artist. You have zero clue.
No, it’s a long since retired senior person with the IUF, among others. He and BK remain close. You wouldn’t have any idea who any of them are, obviously.

No, it’s a long since retired senior person with the IUF, among others. He and BK remain close. You wouldn’t have any idea who any of them are, obviously.

Ummm...recall Ace that in this relationship, I am the one that actually attended IU and attends games. Troll on.

No, that’s not who rent free it is. Like I said, it’s a senior IUF person. Your wouldn’t have any idea who it is. Obviously. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to have the Prevost prepped for the roll to JAX.
You seem bitter

Good call. I honestly didn’t remember Hulls’ shoulder injury but did look it up on Google. He apparently hurt it in the Temple game. Not sure to what extent it impacted his shooting from that point forward. I’m sure it didn’t help.
Just looked at the box score - 0-6 in the Syracuse game.

I'm not sure why you think that's a point to be made: yes, if you could change history, I'd feel differently about it. And I could play the same "what if" game, as you'd probably feel differently about that stretch if we hadn't won an NC in 87, right? I don't feel strongly about it at all, it's just a fact, like a recession: that was the worst stretch of his IU career. All I'm saying, and what you and others seem to refute or be unable to accept is that RMK bears a lot of the responsibility for it. The funny thing is, I think he'd say the same thing, and he's alluded to the fact many times that he should have left before it got to that point.

The RMK can do no wrong crowd, just assume he'd have won the championship in '02 with that team because they got to the final, but I'd say that recent history suggests they'd have flamed out earlier. Look at that roster compared to our other NC teams; I still shake my head that they got to the final games. Outside of outstanding forwards in Haston and Jeffries, it's really a pretty average roster. I don't think they'd have gotten within double digits of any of the other NC teams, and several that didn't win NCs. It was like one of those runs baseball teams get on at times, where they and events come together. And, just for the record, I love RMK and what he did for the school, program, fans and state. I just can see the warts too.
MD’s 2001 team flamed out early, and it had Haston plus JJ et al. I think it’s a logical progression that if MD could take that team to the NatiChampi game in 2002, RMK could’ve done that, too - and he would’ve done it with Haston on the team.

Given RMK’s performance as a head coach vs MD’s performance as a head coach, I like RMK’s odds - again, especially with Haston, who would’ve stuck around.

Unless the team won the 2001 NatiChampi, which is entirely possible.

Please don’t head butt me if you disagree.

The Head-Butt Technique for Player Motivation is not nearly as subtle as Kotex In Locker Technique that Knight instigated for Landon Turner to find, but it proved to be as effective, if not more so.
Daryl Thomas

You sure about that? I don't need a link, but just a simple "yes" is enough to convince me you know about it than I do. My batting percentage on accurate statements will not make the all-star team at the end of the year.
Pretty damn sure. It was the coda to Season on the Brink, I believe.

Edit to add:

You are right.

Page 4 of Season on the Brink:

https://www.archive.org/stream/seasononbrink01john/seasononbrink01john_djvu.txt

Knight didn't want to hurt Thomas. He wanted to make him
a better player, but he honestly believed that some days Thomas
had to be hurt if he was going to get better. He had used this
tactic on Landon Turner, another sensitive black youngster with
immense abihty. Turner, 6-10 and 250 pounds, had emerged from
a shell of mediocrity as a junior to play a key role in Indiana's
1981 run to the national championship. That summer he was
crippled in an automobile accident. Knight, who had once put
Tampax in Turner's locker, who had cursed him and called him
names for three years, spent the next six months raising money
to pay Landon Turner's medical bills.​

What I was thinking of was the conclusion; from page 307:

Knight paused. Then he added, "And Daryl Thomas is still a
pussy. I don't know what to do about him."

So there it was. To Knight, the epitaph for 1985-86 was that
Daryl Thomas was still a pussy and Indiana had lost two games
in embarrassing fashion. Undoubtedly, that would pop into his
mind again and again during fall practice, after the first bad half,
after the first loss. . . .​

Last edited:
Pretty damn sure. It was the coda to Season on the Brink, I believe.
You very well could be right but I just don't recall Daryl Thomas having a problem with motivation that would illicit such a drastic deed like Landon Turner might needed. Landon was slow to bloom but really came on strong at the end of his junior season, before the accident. He was primed for a stellar senior season that would have catapulted him into the NBA. It was tragic, but Landon has made the most of it, accepting his fate. He's a good man.

You very well could be right but I just don't recall Daryl Thomas having a problem with motivation that would illicit such a drastic deed like Landon Turner might needed. Landon was slow to bloom but really came on strong at the end of his junior season, before the accident. He was primed for a stellar senior season that would have catapulted him into the NBA. It was tragic, but Landon has made the most of it, accepting his fate. He's a good man.
I just edited my post.

I was wrong.

I just edited my post.

I was wrong.
I'm not even sure how I heard that story. I Googled "Landon Turner Kotex locker Bob Knight motivation" and didn't find it after a short search but I bet it's out there somewhere. Those are the kind of incidences that made Bob Knight basketball so much fun to be a part of- there was never a dull moment. Bob Knight was colorful. He did so much good for people, but the news media despised him and only gave the unknowing public a slanted view of his behavior, emphasizing and exaggerating the negative side.

Back then, people didn't realize how biased the reporting could be. They just assumed everything that got reported was Truth. We know better today! The reason many people were so gullible is because that's what they wanted to believe and the news media kept feeding their needs. People relish watching the "shining stars" fade because it makes them feel better about themselves. Drama feeds attention-it's what sells news which generates advertising which produces money. The news media took advantage of Bob Knight. A lot of people made money off of his unique personality, including Bob Knight as himself.

I like Archie...I really want him to succeed both for his benefit and for the benefit of my own long winter nights. He's got some things inherently going against him though. Obviously, even though it's been 20 years and three other coaches, he still lives in the shadow of RMK. Archie is a quiet guy. I don't think he likes giving public speeches. As one who doesn't like giving them either, I can sense his trepidation. He doesn't appear to be a demonstrative "rah-rah" type guy unless he's different in practice or the locker room. He doesn't have the sideline personality that draws the camera his way, like some other coaches. Finally, and it's something I noticed the moment I saw him walk into Assembly Hall to meet the press for the first time after being named head coach. I made a point to be there and it's that physically he's a short man. I can say this because I'm a short man, too, and I know how difficult life can be because of it. Of course, shortness is relative speaking. He's short in a tall man's world of high level basketball. It takes away a sense of presence, at the least, subconsciously. Experts in those kind of things will tell you that tall people, in general, are more successful than shorter people. There's a reason I'm only 5'8 3/4...hell, probably 5'8 1/2" now with gravity slowly winning out, yet my driver's license has me listed as 5'9" and I'm can tell you it always will. It's because my Mama didn't raise no dummy!

You seem bitter
Not at all. You made an obviously erroneous post that I corrected, which I necessarily clarified since it’s not possible that you’d know any of the senior IU people who would have knowledge of BK’s likely attendance at an IU game. Being an IU grad gives me a leg up on this stuff. By the way, the IUF is the Indiana University Foundation, the major fund raising organization for the University. The rest was just me talking about having my Prevost (that’s a custom motor coach) prepped for my trip to JAX for the Gator Bowl. Hope you get a chance to tune in, rent free.

Not at all. You made an obviously erroneous post that I corrected, which I necessarily clarified since it’s not possible that you’d know any of the senior IU people who would have knowledge of BK’s likely attendance at an IU game. Being an IU grad gives me a leg up on this stuff. By the way, the IUF is the Indiana University Foundation, the major fund raising organization for the University. The rest was just me talking about having my Prevost (that’s a custom motor coach) prepped for my trip to JAX for the Gator Bowl. Hope you get a chance to tune in, rent free.

LOL, one thing you admitted long ago Ordy is that you are not an IU grad.

And as a Foundation volunteer as an undergrad I am quite aware of what the institution does and who its leaders were and are. I knew Bill Armstrong fairly well as a student and young alumni supporting Lil 5. You can look him up and then pretend to be well versed as you always do.

Better yet, stop responding to my posts as you SWORE you would do after I embarrassed you so badly under your user name IUdanapoint back 70 or 80 bannings ago.

673 trollings since you SWORE you would never ever ever ever respond to me again.

LOL, one thing you admitted long ago Ordy is that you are not an IU grad.

And as a Foundation volunteer as an undergrad I am quite aware of what the institution does and who its leaders were and are. I knew Bill Armstrong fairly well as a student and young alumni supporting Lil 5. You can look him up and then pretend to be well versed as you always do.

Better yet, stop responding to my posts as you SWORE you would do after I embarrassed you so badly under your user name IUdanapoint back 70 or 80 bannings ago.

673 trollings since you SWORE you would never ever ever ever respond to me again.
Quite obvious you never attended IU, so you can save the opaque references to Bill Armstrong, whom I knew quite well from the early days of my youth (well before the IUF moved to the 46 bypass, if you know where that is). In fact, I knew his extended family quite well, too, including ML (you won’t know what that means). Of course, if you knew him, you’d know who his son played for, right? Lol since you don’t have the slightest idea about any of this, since you admitted you didn’t attend IU and didn’t know anything about the IUF until I told you about it.

However, if you continue to react so harshly and emotionally to my factual posts, you’d be wise to not initiate conversations with me, as you did here. It’s not a good look for you, especially since it’s so easy to catch you in lies.

Edit: I have no doubt you’re googling away to try and perpetuate your little lies, but it’s likely you’re coming up short, which is why you haven’t been able to reply. I have plenty of little tests that you’ll never be able to find online but that any IU grad and IUF “volunteer” would know instantly. None, including the ones I gave you, are hard if you knew what you’re talking about. Lol. Your “uncle” posts below confirm you didn’t attend IU or know anything about the IUF. I knew you wouldn’t be able to google those things that only those of us who did have those experiences would know. At least you admitted you weren’t being honest. Lol.

Last edited:
I just edited my post.

I was wrong.
Oh, man, I just now read the edit copy and paste you were kindly included, after my last long winded post. I somehow missed seeing that part. Thanks for sharing-it was an interesting read about Daryl and the mindset leading up to our last banner.

All these years I've been telling folks it was a Kotex. Tampax makes so much more sense-no one wears those bulky pads anymore, what with the women and the way they all like to parade around in their tight yoga pants, wiggling their asses in public with everything but their wieners showing, all the while looking to see if men are staring (There's a hand up in Oak Hall...excuse me, Stone Head, IN). Well, maybe the Pentecostal gals haven't made the big switch. Hell, I don't know anything about the damn Tampax except it's made by the same brave men that construct the more dated and dour Kotex, the same company, in opposite ends of the same factory, probably located down South somewhere where the pick 'ins good, what with all that cotton filler they're packing. If a man living within ten miles of the factory is ever asked if he "packs", he knows it's not necessarily a loaded question. I suspect long trainloads of the stuff coming his way, just to make his day.

Quite obvious you never attended IU, so you can save the opaque references to Bill Armstrong, whom I knew quite well from the early days of my youth (well before the IUF moved to the 46 bypass, if you know where that is). In fact, I knew his extended family quite well, too, including ML (you won’t know what that means). Of course, if you knew him, you’d know who his son played for, right? Lol since you don’t have the slightest idea about any of this, since you admitted you didn’t attend IU and didn’t know anything about the IUF until I told you about it.

However, if you continue to react so harshly and emotionally to my factual posts, you’d be wise to not initiate conversations with me, as you did here. It’s not a good look for you, especially since it’s so easy to catch you in lies.

Edit: I have no doubt you’re googling away to try and perpetuate your little lies, but it’s likely you’re coming up short, which is why you haven’t been able to reply. I have plenty of little tests that you’ll never be able to find online but that any IU grad and IUF “volunteer” would know instantly. None, including the ones I gave you, are hard if you knew what you’re talking about. Lol.

ding ding ding right on cue with your pre-post Google.

Put me on ignore PLEASE and stop stalking me Ordy.

Edit: I have no doubt you’re googling away to try and perpetuate your little lies, but it’s likely you’re coming up short, which is why you haven’t been able to reply. I have plenty of little tests that you’ll never be able to find online but that any IU grad and IUF “volunteer” would know instantly. None, including the ones I gave you, are hard if you knew what you’re talking about. Lol.

Mods; our favorite troll is back and salty due to IU's FB and BB records.

MD’s 2001 team flamed out early, and it had Haston plus JJ et al. I think it’s a logical progression that if MD could take that team to the NatiChampi game in 2002, RMK could’ve done that, too - and he would’ve done it with Haston on the team.

Given RMK’s performance as a head coach vs MD’s performance as a head coach, I like RMK’s odds - again, especially with Haston, who would’ve stuck around.

Unless the team won the 2001 NatiChampi, which is entirely possible.

Please don’t head butt me if you disagree.

Could he have? Oh sure. Would he have? I don't think there's any way to know, and it certainly can't be assumed. And, as I said, it's just as easy to imagine that team flaming out early and in downtrodden fashion as almost all of his last few years' teams did. I can't give you Haston on that team either; again just another case where folks assume everything would have gone perfectly with BK here. It wouldn't have changed Haston's personal circumstances and that he would have had to consider leaving when his draft stock was at an all-time high. I do think it's reasonable to think if RMK were still here, we'd have gotten Sean May.

Could he have? Oh sure. Would he have? I don't think there's any way to know, and it certainly can't be assumed. And, as I said, it's just as easy to imagine that team flaming out early and in downtrodden fashion as almost all of his last few years' teams did. I can't give you Haston on that team either; again just another case where folks assume everything would have gone perfectly with BK here. It wouldn't have changed Haston's personal circumstances and that he would have had to consider leaving when his draft stock was at an all-time high. I do think it's reasonable to think if RMK were still here, we'd have gotten Sean May.
I don’t believe I stated that I knew RMK would’ve taken the 2002 team to the national championship, I did state that it’s a logical progression that if MD could, given his performance as a head coach, RMK also could, given his performance as a head coach.

Don’t know if Kirk would’ve stuck around for 2001-02, but given his relationship with RMK (read Kirk’s book), I think that’s a relatively safe bet. Playing another year for a HOF coach and potentially securing a NatiChampi wouldn’t hurt.

Unless the 2000-01 team won a championship - then he probably would have left.

I don’t believe I stated that I knew RMK would’ve taken the 2002 team to the national championship, I did state that it’s a logical progression that if MD could, given his performance as a head coach, RMK also could, given his performance as a head coach.

Don’t know if Kirk would’ve stuck around for 2001-02, but given his relationship with RMK (read Kirk’s book), I think that’s a relatively safe bet. Playing another year for a HOF coach and potentially securing a NatiChampi wouldn’t hurt.

No you didn't, just implied it, and you did state he would have done it with Haston, which was certainly more likely, but I think he would have still given the NBA a long look, as he ended up a much higher pick than I think he ever thought possible. Knowing his circumstances, I think RMK would have supported him going pro early. And, that would have only strengthened the strength of that team, not addressed the weakness, which was the backcourt anyway.

The fallacy to me is that this was the next great roster for IU/RMK. It was a good one and best in many years, don't get me wrong, but not elite. Top 10 of RMK's rosters... maybe? Maybe. The fact that they got to the NC to me is still amazing and I don't think on average they'd get within 10 of our NC rosters, which I think were all clearly better. NC in 01? See above.

Last edited:
No you didn't, just implied it, and you did state he would have done it with Haston, which was certainly more likely, but I think he would have still given the NBA a long look, as he ended up a much higher pick than I think he ever thought possible. Knowing his circumstances, I think RMK would have supported him going pro early. And, that would have only strengthened the strength of that team, not addressed the weakness, which was the backcourt anyway.

The fallacy to me is that this was the next great roster for IU/RMK. It was a good one and best in many years, don't get me wrong, but not elite. Top 10 of RMK's rosters... maybe? The fact that they got to the NC to me is still amazing and I don't think on average they'd get within 10 of our NC rosters, which I think were all clearly better. NC in 01? See above.
What I implied - in fact, downright stated - was that, if MD could take that team to a F4 and national championship game, RMK most certainly could've done so.

RMK made reference to that team (JJ et al) being built for a championship run. I'll take his word for it.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Your daughter has a student who throws chairs and cusses people out, and no one will intervene and insist that he stop behaving in such a childish manner? Really? And he shouldn’t be rewarded for behaving normally? Can you get fired from the 4th grade?
After growing up hearing that "we don't reward bad behavior" she had a hard time with the policy the Behavior Counselor and the Principal established for this kid. As predicted, it isn't working.

Her grade took a field trip to visit local historical landmarks. She did not allow this kid to go. This was done due to the safety of the other students and herself, the property and mot having a way to confine him during an outburst. The policy at the school and in the school corporation is to evacuate the students from the room until the devil calms down after trashing the room. Hard to do in a public place with historical artifacts around. She isn't going to risk her career on a kid with no respect fr others.

She has done a great job teaching respect to kids labeled as emotionally troubled or having behavior issues. She gets more of these kids than the other teachers in her grade. This kid has a rotten family life with a mother that refuses to talk to white teachers about her son and refuses the help the school has offered to her son (FWIW, the Principal is African American as are over a third of the teachers).

Teachers put up with a lot and are often driven to tears. They deserve better than dodging furniture and being cussed at without having the backing to remove a kid from school or a classroom.

Reactions: kkott

Who knows, and my input is no better than tea leaf reading, but it sure did seem like Knight assembled and starting shaping a pretty good team and that once RMK left, MD's approach with that group opened up some new opportunities for them to prosper (and that some of those opportunities might not have been there had RMK stuck around). MD wasn't a total moron and probably had a few good notions that he brought to bear in '01 and '02 (some really not great ones too). But to me, that's sorta the reality: MD wasn't a moron and was probably no worse than average when it came to coaching those teams in '01 and '02, but the really hard part and the stuff that matters most is building a team and running a program. RMK put in the vital work to assemble the team and ultimately MD couldn't hang on to the job because he was below average and inexperienced at all that vital stuff.

One other hot take caveat: I don't remember Haston being a willing defender and maybe his departure also created a more cohesive two-way team that was able to advance in the '02 tourney.

Also, regardless of whether RMK would have done more or less than MD as coach, the team in reality was lots of fun to watch, but it wasn't the stuff of greatness regardless.

Reactions: ovaltine and kkott
What I implied - in fact, downright stated - was that, if MD could take that team to a F4 and national championship game, RMK most certainly could've done so.

RMK made reference to that team (JJ et al) being built for a championship run. I'll take his word for it.

Of course he did. By doing so it diminished MD's accomplishment as Coach and enhanced his, and just another subtle dig at the program after he left. I just don't see that backcourt as NC material and think that's where we were lacking. Before that run, there was only 1 Coach I can think of that could have won a NC with that roster, and he'd have had to have been locked in and firing on all cylinders and that's what I doubt would've happened, as he hadn't been for the several years prior, imo. Do you not agree that compared to the NC rosters this was far weaker? Where would you rank it in rosters that he coached? Again, I'm saying maybe around 10, so that leaves several rosters I think that were better that still didn't win a NC.

It was a bad matchup, because it required adjustment from our Coach, but we had very good tools to beat that Cuse team. Mostly we just needed Cody to take a 15' jumper from the elbow instead of driving in to the heart of the zone and allowing it to collapse on him. Mitch McGary (remember him?), who to me was a shadow of Cody, demonstrated exactly how to do it the following weekend.

Bad match-up due to the length of Cuse' zone. Our back court was 5'11, 6, and 6'4 going against the top end of a zone that went 6'5, 6'7. Michigan was much more adept at not only shooting over the zone, but passing over it and through it considering they had wing player Stauskas (6'6), Hardaway (6'6), and Robinson (6'7). It's not a coincidence that NPOY Trey Burke (6'2) struggled mightily going 1-8 from the field in 38 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT