ADVERTISEMENT

Rounding out the 2021 Class

Yes I do.

IU is not going to offer Luke Brown a scholarship. I understand he's endeared by many Hoosier residents, especially in that part of the state, but he is NOT a high-major college basketball player. IU will likely have it's scholarships allotted before high school basketball tips off next November and then he's nowhere even on the radar. He is a phenomenal high school talent who is going to challenge the scoring record, but his does not have the physical tools or athleticism to play at this level of college basketball.
You are probably right about the level of Brown's capability. But the kid is a lot of fun to watch. I've seen three or so of his games and he made me go, "OH" several times when he pulled up or made a very nice pass.

Coming in as a freshman with a graduating senior is not a bad spot, especially for a PG, that's not a 5 star. Especially in our situation as Lander might be looking to bolt early at some point.

IU will more than likely be starting a PG other than Phinisee or Lander for the 22-23 season as Phinisee graduates and Lander potentially leaves for the draft. I still don't think IU needs a PG for the 2021 class.

A) they're currently not recruiting another PG for the 2021 class
B) If they started too they're already behind the curve this late in the process
C) You're not going to get a very highly rated PG anyway at this point as they aren't going to want to waste the 21-22 season sitting behind Phinisee and Lander
D) There's ample PG's in the 2022 class in Braden Smith, LeLand Walker, and Tayshawn Comer who when all said and done are likely going to be better than any realistic option IU could hope for in 2021
E) Worst case scenario could always go the GT route if Archie doesn't feel comfortable staring a true freshman

Landing another PG for the 2021 class is actually the least of my concerns. Doomsday scenario would be IU missing out on Trey Kaufman AND TJD leaving early. That would put IU in a very tough spot.

Asks the King of Lowered Expectations. You’re just another nope in whose head I live, rent free. Great for me, normal for you.

The way Ordy sees himself . . . and reality. ;)
6b6b165ff072485fd14021e98e0f6727.png

Reactions: kkott
Odds are it’ll be our next coach’s problem at that point. Hopefully they’ll bring talent with them.
your a broken record. Sad that you've already given up on Billy, especially since you were so excited when he first arrived on campus that you had to break the big news to the rest of us. But it was a great call on you're part .

anyone see what I did there? If not, then your not paying attention.

IU will more than likely be starting a PG other than Phinisee or Lander for the 22-23 season as Phinisee graduates and Lander potentially leaves for the draft. I still don't think IU needs a PG for the 2021 class.

A) they're currently not recruiting another PG for the 2021 class
B) If they started too they're already behind the curve this late in the process
C) You're not going to get a very highly rated PG anyway at this point as they aren't going to want to waste the 21-22 season sitting behind Phinisee and Lander
D) There's ample PG's in the 2022 class in Braden Smith, LeLand Walker, and Tayshawn Comer who when all said and done are likely going to be better than any realistic option IU could hope for in 2021
E) Worst case scenario could always go the GT route if Archie doesn't feel comfortable staring a true freshman

Landing another PG for the 2021 class is actually the least of my concerns. Doomsday scenario would be IU missing out on Trey Kaufman AND TJD leaving early. That would put IU in a very tough spot.

Honestly, I've never thought this years class made sense. Lander coming early fixes 1 need, but I don't think we should have tied up 3 more spots on wings with Franklin, Anderson and Durham already on board. I think 2 wings and a big or PG made much more sense and could have started the replacement process for Davis, Brunk and possibly TJD. I like what I've heard on all 3 recruits, so I'm not sure who I would have dropped, but that's not my job. To me should have been either Leal or Galloway, but not both. It's one of the reasons I sort of expected Anderson to xfer.

Honestly, I've never thought this years class made sense. Lander coming early fixes 1 need, but I don't think we should have tied up 3 more spots on wings with Franklin, Anderson and Durham already on board. I think 2 wings and a big or PG made much more sense and could have started the replacement process for Davis, Brunk and possibly TJD. I like what I've heard on all 3 recruits, so I'm not sure who I would have dropped, but that's not my job. To me should have been either Leal or Galloway, but not both. It's one of the reasons I sort of expected Anderson to xfer.
throw Hunter into that list of wings as well. We need shooters asap, but two yrs from now we are going need some talented bigs- although I'm still not buying TJD to the NBA after next season unless he starts nailing 15-17 footers consistently. What I have seen of him so far is a skill set that suits B1G ball perfectly, but doesn't really translate well onto an NBA court.

Reactions: kkott

Durham is a senior and Anderson is an upperclassmen who likely won't ever be in the rotation (and may end up transferring anyway when it is all said and done). Leal and Galloway are both locker room type of guys and guys you absolutely need on your team. None may ever end up being all-conference players but absolutely the type of guys you need in your rotation. I have no problem with Archie using scholarships on those guys. Those two are the type of players who genuinely want to be at IU and at the end of the day will enable a winning culture.

As big as the transfer portal has gotten and with the NCAA inevitably going to allow a one time free transfer waiver, I wouldn't get to worked up over this or give it much thought. This will allow Archie to be selective in the recruiting process and allow for emergency situations.

Reactions: jiouhyu
throw Hunter into that list of wings as well. We need shooters asap, but two yrs from now we are going need some talented bigs- although I'm still not buying TJD to the NBA after next season unless he starts nailing 15-17 footers consistently. What I have seen of him so far is a skill set that suits B1G ball perfectly, but doesn't really translate well onto an NBA court.

I'm with you there. TJD is too small to be an NBA 5 and without a consistent mid-range, he doesn't have an NBA skill-set. Still think there's a chance he leaves after his sophomore year, but it's not a long shot to think he's back. The way Archie is recruiting, it's almost as if he expects TJD back for his junior year. Really hope we land the 6-10 kid out of Dayton in the 2022 class as well as one of the PG's in central IN (Smith,Comer,Walker).

I've always thought it was more likely than not that TJD comes back for his junior year, unless as you said he can show a dependable jumper. He doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get to the league either.

Durham is a senior and Anderson is an upperclassmen who likely won't ever be in the rotation (and may end up transferring anyway when it is all said and done). Leal and Galloway are both locker room type of guys and guys you absolutely need on your team. None may ever end up being all-conference players but absolutely the type of guys you need in your rotation. I have no problem with Archie using scholarships on those guys. Those two are the type of players who genuinely want to be at IU and at the end of the day will enable a winning culture.

As big as the transfer portal has gotten and with the NCAA inevitably going to allow a one time free transfer waiver, I wouldn't get to worked up over this or give it much thought. This will allow Archie to be selective in the recruiting process and allow for emergency situations.

I agree with kkott that it didn't make sense on paper to take Leal plus Galloway, but also with you that it was mostly about attitude adjustment....if that didn't change, and by next year, nothing else mattered. Plus it also may have helped with Lander, plus Galloway was a Northern Indiana guy so that helped as well.

I’m not impressed with Franklin and Durham can’t guard a tree. Both Leal and Galloway sorely needed.

I’m not impressed with Franklin and Durham can’t guard a tree. Both Leal and Galloway sorely needed.

Wayyyy too early on Franklin. He wasn't a blue chip recruit coming out of high school so if your expectation of him was to be a double-digit scorer playing starters minutes of course your disappointed. He had some games where played like a freshman but also games where you saw the potential. That's part of being a freshman. He will be a very important piece for IU down the road.

your a broken record. Sad that you've already given up on Billy, especially since you were so excited when he first arrived on campus that you had to break the big news to the rest of us. But it was a great call on you're part .

anyone see what I did there? If not, then your not paying attention.
I’m not saying it will happen. I’m just saying history would suggest the odds are heavily in that favor given his start so far. Facts are facts.

He was offered by Indiana State and Ball State. So much for the honesty.
Luke Brown will never be recruited by IU. End of story. Anyone who understands the business of big-time college basketball recruiting could tell you that.

The idea of IU recruiting Luke Brown is nothing more than a grumpy old-timer's wet dream of recreating the 1954 Milan High School team in modern times.

I agree with kkott that it didn't make sense on paper to take Leal plus Galloway, but also with you that it was mostly about attitude adjustment....if that didn't change, and by next year, nothing else mattered. Plus it also may have helped with Lander, plus Galloway was a Northern Indiana guy so that helped as well.
CAM is looking for the tough minded players. Leal and Galloway aren't the most athletic but the are smart and tough.I can see why he took both.

Reactions: jiouhyu

I get it and agree on the attitude thing and obviously shooting... if Leal and Galloway will help in those 2 areas, but there's also nothing saying a post player can't be that attitude guy... and often are if they are the rebounder/defender/rim protector type guys that Lville, Florida and Georgetown used to always seem to have when they were good. I just think another big to replace Davis would have brought better balance to the roster, and often bigs take some time to develop. But, Archie has been light years ahead of Crean in roster construction, imo. I've heard varying opinions on to what degree Leal and Galloway are the junkyard dog types anyway, so I hope they are cut in the Fife mold.

I’m not saying it will happen. I’m just saying history would suggest the odds are heavily in that favor given his start so far. Facts are facts.
What history or facts are you referring to? The history on your Donavan prediction? Or the fact that you are counting the days until IU fires their coach and blows up the program for another 5 yrs or more?

Reactions: Al Bino
Are you going to guarantee it? If so, I'm betting big money the other way. Also there is a lot of chatter that Kaufman is about to commit to IU. Will you guarantee he won't? I hope you do, because that might seal the deal for IU. ;)

With Anderson now transferring and thus a chance to fill that spot with a big body, IU should go after Kaufman, a PG and a pure shooter or a PF if TJD is set to go pro after 2 seasons.

I don’t disagree with you on Franklin but the comment that we didn’t need both Leal and Galloway is absurd

Just to point something out among those three guys, they will need to differentiate themselves to gain playing time either with offense or defense. Being mediocre at both won't get them PT. Personally, I think Galloway is going to be really good so we shall see.

Reactions: baileyiu
I'm with you there. TJD is too small to be an NBA 5 and without a consistent mid-range, he doesn't have an NBA skill-set. Still think there's a chance he leaves after his sophomore year, but it's not a long shot to think he's back. The way Archie is recruiting, it's almost as if he expects TJD back for his junior year. Really hope we land the 6-10 kid out of Dayton in the 2022 class as well as one of the PG's in central IN (Smith,Comer,Walker).

I think TJD is looking like a 3 year guy at this point. As good as he is, he has to develop his right hand and, like you said, an outside game. At his size he will be facing bigger players at the 4 every night in the NBA. How he does against Oturu-type guys defensively and on the wing probably defines when he can move to the next level in my opinion.

Just to point something out among those three guys, they will need to differentiate themselves to gain playing time either with offense or defense. Being mediocre at both won't get them PT. Personally, I think Galloway is going to be really good so we shall see.
Totally agree

And EXACTLY what facts are you talking about? Please do some research and provide links.

Personally, I think YOUR facts are just the delusions you have in your head daily.

And EXACTLY what facts are you talking about? Please do some research and provide links.

Personally, I think YOUR facts are just the delusions you have in your head daily.
That’s not how the world works kid. There’s not always a link to an article written yesterday to defend every fact.

When a coach starts very slow their first 3 years more often than not they’re not around too long. That’s just common knowledge. The clock is running out.

Are you going to guarantee it? If so, I'm betting big money the other way. Also there is a lot of chatter that Kaufman is about to commit to IU. Will you guarantee he won't? I hope you do, because that might seal the deal for IU. ;)
I don’t know anything about Kaufman but a recruit ranked 97th is likely not a game changer either way.

What history or facts are you referring to? The history on your Donavan prediction? Or the fact that you are counting the days until IU fires their coach and blows up the program for another 5 yrs or more?
“Another 5 yrs or more”? Are you still believing that myth? How many players transferred when Crean left? The Sampson situation was the anomaly not the norm. Get outside the crimson bubble for a bit.

“Another 5 yrs or more”? Are you still believing that myth? How many players transferred when Crean left? The Sampson situation was the anomaly not the norm. Get outside the crimson bubble for a bit.

Why would I even want to argue with you? You still won't own up to your horrific predictions regarding Donavan and Lander. You've lost all credibility on this forum, Kiddo.

Last edited:
I don’t know anything about Kaufman but a recruit ranked 97th is likely not a game changer either way.
Lol. You could say he’s top 50 also. You just love to say Rivals is actual relevant. They are literally the last to update rankings. Kaufman isn’t ranked 97 anymore.

That’s not how the world works kid. There’s not always a link to an article written yesterday to defend every fact.

When a coach starts very slow their first 3 years more often than not they’re not around too long. That’s just common knowledge. The clock is running out.
You say that because you are lazy. There is no articles? A quick look on google and Wikipedia will tell you there are plenty of coaches in their first 3 years are similar if not worse than Miller’s that are still coaching at the same school. Oh and not everyone is a kid who needs to wake up.

Reactions: hondo314
He's moved up to top 50 in ratings more current than this site's. This site is usually last to update. He's a damned good play that a lot of good programs want. Virginia just offered too. Please guarantee he's going elsewhere.

Virginia just offered too.

Sigh. So much for an imminent commitment.

You know, I really like and respect Tony Bennett. He's obviously one of the genuinely good guys in college basketball. I became acquainted with his sister (and former IU WBB coach) Kathi when she was coaching at UE and she, also, is an absolute gem of a person.

But I wish he'd stay the hell out of Indiana.

Sigh. So much for an imminent commitment.

You know, I really like and respect Tony Bennett. He's obviously one of the genuinely good guys in college basketball. I became acquainted with his sister (and former IU WBB coach) Kathi when she was coaching at UE and she, also, is an absolute gem of a person.

But I wish he'd stay the hell out of Indiana.

Yep. Scared to death to see him sell him on De'Andre Hunter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT