ADVERTISEMENT

Rounding out the 2021 Class

Coach Geez

All-Big Ten
Dec 23, 2019
IU currently has 2 commits for the class of 2021; Khristian Lander and Logan Duncomb. While Lander is expected to reclassify, IU has already addressed it's two biggest needs for the class in PG and C. Assuming Lander reclassifies; that will leave IU with 3 available scholarships for the class with one already taken. It is of my belief that the two remaining spots will be filled by these 5 players:

PF Trey Kaufman
SF Trey Patterson
Wing Aminu Mohammed
SG Blake Wesley
SG Jordan Longino

I think IU is in great standing with Kaufman and Mohammed and it sounds like Wesley is quickly emerging as a favorite as well. Kaufman is and will continue to be priority #1 and I believe he ultimately commits to Indiana. Pipe dream would be to land both Kaufman and Mohammed although IU will be facing some pretty stiff competition.

If IU lands Kaufman and is able to land any of the other 4 targets coupled with Duncomb, it would be a fantastic class that sets IU up for future success.

Last edited:
Kaufman, Mohammed, and Brown would give us everything the team is currently lacking.

Brown isn't even in the discussion and won't be on IU's roster unless he comes in as a walk-on. Would much rather have Braden Smith out of Westfield in the 2022 class than Luke Brown.

Isn't Smith a true PG? that would seem to fit as a replacement for Phinisee. A PG would seem to be a need in that class to me.

IU currently has 2 commits for the class of 2021; Khristian Lander and Logan Duncomb. While Lander is expected to reclassify, IU had already addressed it's two biggest needs for the class in PG and C. Assuming Lander reclassifies; that will leave IU with 3 available scholarships for the class with one already taken. It is of my belief that the two remaining spots will be filled by these 5 players:

PF Trey Kaufman
SF Trey Patterson
Wing Aminu Mohammed
SG Blake Wesley
SG Jordan Longino

I think IU is in great standing with Kaufman and Mohammed and it sounds like Wesley is quickly emerging as a favorite as well. Kaufman is and will continue to be priority #1 and I believe he ultimately commits to Indiana. Pipe dream would be to land both Kaufman and Mohammed although IU will be facing some pretty stiff competition.

If IU lands Kaufman and is able to land any of the other 4 targets coupled with Duncomb, it would be a fantastic class that sets IU up for future success.

I like our chances with Kaufman -- Mohammed and Longino, not so much.

Isn't Smith a true PG? that would seem to fit as a replacement for Phinisee. A PG would seem to be a need in that class to me.

Depends on how much he grows. I think he's listed at 5'11 but only a sophomore. I see a lot of Hulls in his game. Can play PG if needed but has a quick enough release and is a great 3 point shooter than can play off the ball. He'd have to be paired with a pretty dynamic PG (Lander would be perfect if he stays) but I think he can play 1 or 2 in certain lineups depending on his growth.

I like our chances with Kaufman -- Mohammed and Longino, not so much.

I think we're in a good spot with Mohammed but yes will be tough to land given the competition. Longino was recently offered and probably a backup plan to either Wesley or Mohammed but he did genuinely seem excited with his offer from Indiana. Will be tough with Villanova in his backyard but they are also coveting some higher rated prospects at his his position.

Last edited:
We're definitely behind for Wesley.

Yes, we've made up some ground, but it's going to be really hard to overtake Notre Dame and even Purdue. At best, we're sitting third for him.

You should put Mason Miller on your list. If he called and wanted to commit, we absolutely take him. He fills a immediate need, he's a definite shooter. From everything I've read, he's got legit interest in us and his father is definitely okay with him coming here due to his relationship he has with Ostrom and his time at Florida together.

He's definitely someone to watch going forward.

You should put Mason Miller on your list. If he called and wanted to commit, we absolutely take him. He fills a immediate need, he's a definite shooter. From everything I've read, he's got legit interest in us and his father is definitely okay with him coming here due to his relationship he has with Ostrom and his time at Florida together.

Isn't his dad an assistant for Hardaway? If so, landing him would be quite a coup.

Isn't his dad an assistant for Hardaway? If so, landing him would be quite a coup.

Yea he is.

ROGHT NOW, it's said that his dad doesn't want to coach his son though. That's why others, including us, are taking their swing.

That could always change of course, but he does like us.

Yes, we've made up some ground, but it's going to be really hard to overtake Notre Dame and even Purdue. At best, we're sitting third for him.

I think we'd have to miss on several others before Mason Miller committed. I think we're in a better spot with Patterson and I'd prefer him over Miller anyway.

Still behind on Wesley but not the long shot we were once before. I think ground has been made in the last few weeks. I'm more worried about Notre Dame than Purdue as Purdue seems all-in on Ingram with only one shot to fill. I think if Notre Dame was Wesley's dream school he'd have already committed by now. I think Wesley is one of the most underrated players in the entire 2021 class and possibly could be holding out for some better offers. AAU season likely isn't going to happen and that could be beneficial to a school like Indiana.

Longino mom went to IU i believe and there is alot of respect/connection with Bruiser there so there is a real shot

Did not know that about Jordan's mom. Have had some success landing Philly area kids (Moore/Forrester) in the past, just haven't translated on the court.

Kaufman, Mohammed, and Brown would give us everything the team is currently lacking.
source.gif

I think we'd have to miss on several others before Mason Miller committed. I think we're in a better spot with Patterson and I'd prefer him over Miller anyway.

Still behind on Wesley but not the long shot we were once before. I think ground has been made in the last few weeks. I'm more worried about Notre Dame than Purdue as Purdue seems all-in on Ingram with only one shot to fill. I think if Notre Dame was Wesley's dream school he'd have already committed by now. I think Wesley is one of the most underrated players in the entire 2021 class and possibly could be holding out for some better offers. AAU season likely isn't going to happen and that could be beneficial to a school like Indiana.

The staff really like Mason Miller and wouldn't turn him away. I agree that he's probably behind Patterson in the pecking order, but I don't think it's a situation where if Miller wants to commit, they say no. He's really good and provides a skill that we definitely need, shooting. Patterson is a skilled player, but like you said, we're probably behind Nova here.

On Wesley, we've definitely made up some ground, but right now, he's probably headed to Notre Dame. It definitely helps that he's got a friend already committed there. He wants to play with the ball in his hands. With Lander here, not sure how much that would happen. With AAU possibly done this year, it could have shown that those two could have played together since they were suppose to be on the same team.

Mason Miller: Looked him up and watched some highlight videos. Great outside shot, nice teardrop/soft inside shot, and tall enough to dunk easily. Maybe a little on the thin side, but what's not to like?

If he wants to play for IU, I think we should at least offer. Seems like he would be a good four year player.

Reactions: minneman
Mason Miller: Looked him up and watched some highlight videos. Great outside shot, nice teardrop/soft inside shot, and tall enough to dunk easily. Maybe a little on the thin side, but what's not to like?

If he wants to play for IU, I think we should at least offer. Seems like he would be a good four year player.

He's been offered, but in the realm of things hard seeing him not play for Memphis despite what his dad has said. I really don't think IU is a contender here but could be wrong.

He's been offered, but in the realm of things hard seeing him not play for Memphis despite what his dad has said. I really don't think IU is a contender here but could be wrong.

Again, from what Mason and his dad are saying, Mike doesn't want to coach his son. That could change over time so who knows. Mike is also a millionaire, so who knows how long he wants to be in the college game recruiting on the road. Mason very well might end up at Memphis, but Mike is comfortable with Mason coming here because he knows Ostrom when Mike and Ostrom were at Florida together.

Right now, we're players in the recruitment. That's always subject to change though.

How about you keep the discussion to recruits that are relevant to IU, which would be those that have offers, or are least being recruited by IU...

Again, from what Mason and his dad are saying, Mike doesn't want to coach his son. That could change over time so who knows. Mike is also a millionaire, so who knows how long he wants to be in the college game recruiting on the road. Mason very well might end up at Memphis, but Mike is comfortable with Mason coming here because he knows Ostrom when Mike and Ostrom were at Florida together.

Right now, we're players in the recruitment. That's always subject to change though.

I understand all that and a lot of that is coach speak. I would say there is a less than 5% chance he doesn't ultimately end up at Memphis. If not I'm guessing he goes to TCU to play for his uncle.

Lol. Other than reading it on recruiting sites, where are you getting all of this inside information?

The good news is that those 5 & Miller are all high level talent! 2021 has the makings of a really great class

Lol. Other than reading it on recruiting sites, where are you getting all of this inside information?

That's where all the info is.

Please tell us, old wise one, where I'm wrong, once again.

I mean, the kid's only quoted as saying his dad doesn't want to coach him in college, so take it for what it's worth.

By the way, how is Matt Cross doing at Duke?

He is on IU 2021 watch lists for indystar and the daily hoosier. Somebody like you obviously wouldn’t know that.

He is on IU 2021 watch lists for indystar and the daily hoosier. Somebody like you obviously wouldn’t know that.

He hasn't been offered and won't be offered unless things go south significantly. IU has two remaining scholarships available and Luke isn't even consideration for a scholarship.

He is being watched. He may not be offered or he may. Neither one of us know that yet.
You also have no idea what type of consideration is being given to it.

He is being watched. He may not be offered or he may. Neither one of us know that yet.
You also have no idea what type of consideration is being given to it.

Yes I do.

IU is not going to offer Luke Brown a scholarship. I understand he's endeared by many Hoosier residents, especially in that part of the state, but he is NOT a high-major college basketball player. IU will likely have it's scholarships allotted before high school basketball tips off next November and then he's nowhere even on the radar. He is a phenomenal high school talent who is going to challenge the scoring record, but his does not have the physical tools or athleticism to play at this level of college basketball.

Last edited:
I understand all that and a lot of that is coach speak. I would say there is a less than 5% chance he doesn't ultimately end up at Memphis. If not I'm guessing he goes to TCU to play for his uncle.

I thought some were saying that it was likely that Miller would be seeking a HC position, and that might account for the slow play with Memphis.

Coming from the guy promoting Braden Smith, a smaller, poor mans luke brown.

Braden Smith is not only a better ballhandler and a better shooter than Luke Brown, he's a better basketball player and a better athlete. Braden Smith will have several high-major offers when it is all said and done. I will trust my coaching instincts and what I've heard from the Indiana high school and AAU coaching fraternity over someone with an extreme bias towards Luke Brown.

I thought some were saying that it was likely that Miller would be seeking a HC position, and that might account for the slow play with Memphis.

Could be a possibility, but I do know Mike's brother Ryan is an assistant at TCU. Mike Miller is doing everything right when it comes to the recruitment of his son. Mason, just like any other kid, wants to enjoy the recruiting process. Mike is making it known that Mason is still open to be recruited even though he's likely to end up at Memphis.

How about you keep the discussion to recruits that are relevant to IU, which would be those that have offers, or are least being recruited by IU...

A potential recruit within the state, who is anywhere in the zip code of the scoring record is certainly more relevant and of interest to me as an out of state IU fan than whether or not UK had enough players from KY on their roster. I like hearing other people's opinions on the kid and am rooting for him in college, regardless if it's somewhere else. I think IN HS ball and players are definitely valid topics for this board. I love hearing about the IN HS players, coaches and teams and what they are doing. Not sure why the Brown kid is such a flashpoint.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
A potential recruit within the state, who is anywhere in the zip code of the scoring record is certainly more relevant and of interest to me as an out of state IU fan than whether or not UK had enough players from KY on their roster. I like hearing other people's opinions on the kid and am rooting for him in college, regardless if it's somewhere else. I think IN HS ball and players are definitely valid topics for this board. I love hearing about the IN HS players, coaches and teams and what they are doing. Not sure why the Brown kid is such a flashpoint.

Definitely a topic of discussion, but in regards to potential 2021 commits he's irrelevant. He's not a B10 player, let alone a high-major player. I think his best bet would be to end up in the MAC or the Missouri Valley but even there he's not garnishing much interest. He's an IUPUI or Purdue-Fort Wayne level player if we're being honest.

Reactions: jet812
He was offered by Indiana State and Ball State. So much for the honesty.

I said "not garnishing much interest". I would say an offer from hometown Indiana State and Ball State falls in the category. But you don't see the better MAC teams Akron/Toledo/Ohio offering him nor the better MVC teams. There's a reason why he only has a slew of offers. He isn't being recruited by IU. Period.

ADVERTISEMENT