ADVERTISEMENT

Rod Carey Strikes Again

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
Does this dude just forget how to call plays on the final drive of every game. WFT was that?!

Why is everyone so high on this guy?

Reactions: bdhman
And the very nice drive not long before that , for a TD? And a drive that began on the one, and moved out nicely.

Oh, I forgot.....we should all be pi$$ing ourselves with glee because we scored a total of 21 points against an awful team with a substitute coach.

Only at IU...sheesh

Carey did not lose us that game. The defense did. Carey had to coach around a young quarterback who started over throwing everything. He overthrew four or five wide open receivers that would have changed the game. State's defense is respectable. Their offense is horrible. That they put up 24 pts against us was an utter failure. They are ranked 121st in the country.

Reactions: midwolfe
You must be from the everyone gets a trophy generation. It’s only good if the team scores.
Nope. I'm old school.

Missing the FG had little to do with Rod Carey or his calls on that drive.

Just "we lost so someone must suck! And I'll just name anybody no matter how they did their job!" is what the original post was, and apparently your belief. He gave us a chance at the end. A couple game winning drives. Then, we lost , of course.

Yeah we sucked. But I don't believe Rod Carey pulled in the horns like some previous games.

Nope. I'm old school.

Missing the FG had little to do with Rod Carey or his calls on that drive.

Just "we lost so someone must suck! And I'll just name anybody no matter how they did their job!" is what the original post was, and apparently your belief. He gave us a chance at the end. A couple game winning drives. Then, we lost , of course.

Yeah we sucked. But I don't believe Rod Carey pulled in the horns like some previous games.
You're entitled to your opinion, but, my opinion is that this guy makes terrible calls at the end of every game he's called. We're 3rd and 1 at the MSU 27 with 18 seconds to play. Any good play caller is going to do things in the following order: 1) Get the first down, 2) Take a shot on 1st down - NOT third, 3) then kick a manageable field goal

Instead we take a shot on 3rd and freaking 1 and , of course, botch everything from there.

Sorsby killed us in the first half, overthrowing wide open WRs the whole half.

McCulley was hurt after a play in the 3rd maybe and don't recall them throwing his way after that, just a decoy, which worked on the completion to Carter at the end.

Still boggles my mind that we can't get Lucas the ball. he was being a decoy so much ,they stopped even looking at him. There was a play where he was pointing to Sorsby that the closest player was 10-15 yards away, but Sorsby handed off up the middle. One of those should have been tossed to Lucas on the edge at some piont.

I think it has been since he scored the TD against Lville on a pass up the middle, that I haven't seen him be targeted in a route like that? Not sure why we don't have him use his open field speed to get open as a WR every once in a while, isolated on one side of the field, from the slot, or out of the backfield.

The defense again were so close to getting to the QB. To me that seems the scheme is good, players just need to make plays. At least 5 plays we should have had the QB down in the backfield and another 5 with a RB. And yes, they missed the hold on the last TD play.

You're entitled to your opinion, but, my opinion is that this guy makes terrible calls at the end of every game he's called. We're 3rd and 1 at the MSU 27 with 18 seconds to play. Any good play caller is going to do things in the following order: 1) Get the first down, 2) Take a shot on 1st down - NOT third, 3) then kick a manageable field goal

Instead we take a shot on 3rd and freaking 1 and , of course, botch everything from there.
Yeah, you put it that way, sure it wasn't perfect. He tends to call the runs a little more than would seem best for winning. IMO. But I didn't think he got too conservative this time. Running was working. But you may be right on the ordering.

Why didn't you say that in you original post instead of saying he was terrible the final drive? Sounds like you just didn't like the call on 3rd and 1. You are the Rod Carey of posting. Maybe Tom Allen.

• Haha
Reactions: SixthFlagComing
Why didn't you say that in you original post instead of saying he was terrible the final drive? Sounds like you just didn't like the call on 3rd and 1. You are the Rod Carey of posting. Maybe Tom Allen.
I love it when posters tell other posters HOW they should post messages on a message board. You're the me of posting. (And I simply assumed people on this board are IU fans who have watched him botch final drives of previous games as well)

Not sure anyone is "high" on any of this staff. But Carey is a better OC than Bell and a better overall coach than Allen. Fire Allen today. Let Carey coach the bucket game. Then try and find a competent coach.

Reactions: td75 and kmathum
Just be clear. It's not hard.
Ahhh, thank you, Oh Sage of message board world. I guess I should have been clearer about my dislike of Carey's end-of-game play calling....because apparently it wasn't clear enough for you. You're only acting this way because you disagree with the sentiment. It's okay. I actually want you to have an opinion and I won't even give you a sanctimonious lecture about how you express it.

Ahhh, thank you, Oh Sage of message board world. I guess I should have been clearer about my dislike of Carey's end-of-game play calling....because apparently it wasn't clear enough for you. You're only acting this way because you disagree with the sentiment. It's okay. I actually want you to have an opinion and I won't even give you a sanctimonious lecture about how you express it.

Actually I agree with you on the 3rd down. I was at the game and thought it was horrible. You said drive, which consisted of 11 plays. Then you later clarify the one play. Did you any issues with the other plays? Be clear. Otherwise you come across as a tool.

Actually I agree with you on the 3rd down. I was at the game and thought it was horrible. You said drive, which consisted of 11 plays. Then you later clarify the one play. Did you any issues with the other plays? Be clear. Otherwise you come across as a tool.
Awesome. Name calling too. You"re awesome!

Awesome. Name calling too. You"re awesome!

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I didn't say you are a tool, just that you come across that way because you started with griping about the drive, then about the entire game, and ended up on the one 3rd and 1 play. So which is it that makes you unhappy with Carey?

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I didn't say you are a tool, just that you come across that way because you started with griping about the drive, then about the entire game, and ended up on the one 3rd and 1 play. So which is it that makes you unhappy with Carey?
Brother, I'm going to assume you're an IU fan and, because of that, I'm all for you....truly...

You can insult me, call me names, do whatever you need to do. I'm good. My opinion has been expressed, I think

Brother, I'm going to assume you're an IU fan and, because of that, I'm all for you....truly...

You can insult me, call me names, do whatever you need to do. I'm good. My opinion has been expressed, I think

I have not insulted you once. I am simply trying to figure out what issue you have with Carey. I'll ask again: is it the last drive, the whole game, or just the one play?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT