ADVERTISEMENT

RLangford and DGarland to attend Hoosier Hysteria..

CAM can sign anyone imo... It's his in game coaching I'm really looking forward to... DD might be gone after next season depending on his development... Which opens up an additional spot... Quit panicking... It's nice to have players who want to play for CAM...

Reactions: mazz and IUgradman
We do not have 7 guys at his position. Please quit spreading this falsehood, it's pure ignorant bullsh%t.

2018 roster
2 lead guards
2 wing guards
3 wing forwards
2 stretch fours
2 posts

Please become well informed, and quit posting dumb crap, we were once the smartest fan base in the NCAA, let's be that again.

Talk about stupid.....

Just because you give them different names doesn't mean they aren't a forward.

(rolleyes)

And who is the "second post"?

Why are you guys panicking? Do you know the specifics of who's been offered and how that offer has been presented?

What I see are contingencies. Archie is chasing premier talent in RL and DG, but recognizes that we are playing catchup. This class is very short on post talent, so he's lining up guys who can possibly defend the post, which to me after getting Phinisee becomes the biggest area of need. If you can get 5 star guys, obviously you do, but he's preparing if we don't. It's called contingencies and building a pipeline, something Crean was awful at, which is why he took panic commitments. These guys have the talent to play and he's positioning us if we don't get the 5 star guys, or maybe even for the loss of a DD, injury or transfer. Calm down. When I meet with my sales guys, they are always excited about the big prospects and I'm forever pushing them to develop other prospects and projects if we don't get those premier jobs. CAM is doing the same. It seems weird because we haven't seen this for over a decade.

Forrester is good and definitely not as big a reach as April, Prillee, Gelon, etc..., but I agree he shouldn't really be made a priority right now. If he does sign, I'll give him some time before I call him a bust but as of now I don't want him.

Yeah Crean is a moron who knows way less about basketball than he thinks he does. How he managed to go 18 seasons without getting fired amazes me. He took advantage of IU when we were at our most desperate and was lucky he worked for a weak AD who put up with his mediocrity for NINE seasons.

Listening to him ramble on incoherently during his press conferences, it shouldn't have surprised anyone to see how frenetic, uneven, and panicked his teams played, and definitely explained the lack of composure we had down the stretch of games throughout his time here.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbmhoosier
Yeah Crean is a moron who knows way less about basketball than he thinks he does. How he managed to go 18 seasons without getting fired amazes me. He took advantage of IU when we were at our most desperate and was lucky he worked for a weak AD who put up with his mediocrity for NINE seasons.

Listening to him ramble on incoherently during his press conferences, it shouldn't have surprised anyone to see how frenetic, uneven, and panicked his teams played, and definitely explained the lack of composure we had down the stretch of games throughout his time here.
He tried to make up his lack of inherent talent by using the gimmick of the month.

I know musicians just like him, always seeking the magic method, only to fail again and again because they lack the god given talent needed to get to the highest level..Hard work and knowledge only get you so far. At the highest levels talent is the thing that separates great from good, and he just didn't have enough.

Everyone has a level cap, Crean's seems to be as an assistant running drills.

Reactions: IUgradman

Yet he says his next job will be at championship caliber program. Apparently Tom is waiting for Roy or Coach K to retire. He's truly the most delusional and self unaware person I've ever seen.

Reactions: IUgradman
Yet he says his next job will be at championship caliber program. Apparently Tom is waiting for Roy or Coach K to retire. He's truly the most delusional and self unaware person I've ever seen.

It will also be nice not to have our coach embarrass our school with blow-by handshakes and ill-fitting pants. Crean was not well liked by the other coaches in the conference and deservedly so. Dude was a walking meme. You can find several videos of opposing coaches almost laughing at him when he did his patented blow-by handshake.

Why does that matter?
He's just arguing to win an argument. Waste of time, it doesn't matter how much evidence or knowledge you present to him, he'll just find another angle and try to "win" that way.

Probably still thinks we have 7 guys for one position just because some site listed them as forwards. Doesn't get that roles (not position) is what coaches concern themselves with and that skill sets determine those roles.

This thread has gotten stupid .. I'm out.

Reactions: darkhawk returns

This is going to be an unpopular post.

Crean is not a moron. And I'd dare say that no one on this site could have coached IU to a Sweet 16, much less three of them. However, Sweet 16 finishes are not good enough for IU. Crean was not talented enough to be the head coach at IU. But that does NOT make him a moron. It makes him a decent coach. Just not an elite one.

Can we please stop the hate? There's enough hate in the political spectrum. Why waste the energy on a man who isn't even coaching at IU anymore?

Most of us know how to attack a zone, not offer fringe prospects a valuable scholarship, and would take responsibility for and ownership of our mistakes. Crean was too arrogant for his own good. In his last press conference he said he wouldn't change the way he coached. Deluded and clueless.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Crean is not a moron.
Relative to other professionals in the major conferences of the NCAA, he certainly is. How many schools did you see offer him a job? None. Why?

Because his inherent talent, feel for the game, in game coaching, situational and clock management, is at a very low level and severely lacking relative to his competition. It's why he always does less, with more. He was the worst in game situational coach in the conference.

It's no great feat winning a conference when you have the most talented team, but it is a feat of gross incompetence when having multiple pros and top four talent and finishing in the bottom half.

I also have absolute proof he's a moron. Switching defense in the middle of possessions, for the whole game, not just a possession or two, and for half a season. Only a complete moron would do that. Name another coach that dumb.

He had Cody Zeller dribble drive into a middle of a zone, for two halves. Name another coach that freaking stupid.

He's not a competent leader, and should set his sights on being an assistant, which he would be good at. Managing a game is not in his skill set. Helping manage a practice and helping recruit, is.

Last edited:
In his last press conference he said he wouldn't change the way he coached.
He also stated he wished he would have worked at having better PR.

Like his dog and pony show celebrations, stupid memes he had made, and then micromanaging and threatening message board admins with revoked access for favorable articles and threads wasn't enough.

He was the king of fake news, before such a phrase was common place. Freakin orange people, all superficial fake appearance and no substance. If they were actually aware, and competent, they wouldn't be orange.

The guy actually thought it was fan perspective that got him fired, he can't fathom that he sucks.

Fraud and a Clown ...

defense-differences.jpg
Unfortunately, I doubt that Assembly Hall's low camera angle will let me recognize the differences in Miller's positioning of players as shown in your drawing. I need the Sunday morning coach show big time.

This is going to be an unpopular post.

Crean is not a moron. And I'd dare say that no one on this site could have coached IU to a Sweet 16, much less three of them. However, Sweet 16 finishes are not good enough for IU. Crean was not talented enough to be the head coach at IU. But that does NOT make him a moron. It makes him a decent coach. Just not an elite one.

Can we please stop the hate? There's enough hate in the political spectrum. Why waste the energy on a man who isn't even coaching at IU anymore?
Amen to that

Relative to other professionals in the major conferences of the NCAA, he certainly is. How many schools did you see offer him a job? None. Why?

Because his inherent talent, feel for the game, in game coaching, situational and clock management, is at a very low level and severely lacking relative to his competition. It's why he always does less, with more. He was the worst in game situational coach in the conference.

It's no great feat winning a conference when you have the most talented team, but it is a feat of gross incompetence when having multiple pros and top four talent and finishing in the bottom half.

I also have absolute proof he's a moron. Switching defense in the middle of possessions, for the whole game, not just a possession or two, and for half a season. Only a complete moron would do that. Name another coach that dumb.

He had Cody Zeller dribble drive into a middle of a zone, for two halves. Name another coach that freaking stupid.

He's not a competent leader, and should set his sights on being an assistant, which he would be good at. Managing a game is not in his skill set. Helping manage a practice and helping recruit, is.

I just can't agree with you. Three Sweet Sixteens kind of proves that he wasn't a moron. Nothing better proves he wasn't elite, but certainly not a moron. You state that he did less with more top talent. He was the one who got that top talent you are referring to.

Please don't misunderstand me... I am far from a Crean apologist. I'm more of a Crean realist. You can state instances where he did stupid things. And times when his players did stupid things. Yeah... I'd agree with you. That doesn't make someone a moron. Again... to be able to recruit and coach a team to three Sweet 16s in nine years proves that he had at least decent coaching ability. Just not enough to be head coach at IU.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Most of us know how to attack a zone, not offer fringe prospects a valuable scholarship, and would take responsibility for and ownership of our mistakes. Crean was too arrogant for his own good. In his last press conference he said he wouldn't change the way he coached. Deluded and clueless.
Yet you are on here complaining about and not running your own program. Crean is long gone so why are people still talking about him on here

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Unfortunately, I doubt that Assembly Hall's low camera angle will let me recognize the differences in Miller's positioning of players as shown in your drawing. I need the Sunday morning coach show big time.

It's really easy.
1. the guy guarding the ball should be arms length (or closer) from the ballhandler, while pressuring him. He doesn't need to worry about the player getting by him (as much) which allows him to overplay.. because ...

2. Everyone else goes into a pre-help position. Cheating towards the drive.

Compare the two charts. They don't have to rotate to the driver because they're already there. They instead have to rotate to the shooter and quickly without fouling. Helps to have quickness, length and wingspan. Like the players, we're recruiting.

It keeps teams from driving and making interior passes, while daring them to shoot the wing three. Which is why it's important to be able to close on 3pt shooters, which is why long quick players are desired at the 2,3,4,and 5.

You can't put two short armed 6 footers in this lineup, or slow plodding posts. It either causes a gap, or wide open threes. It's geared towards disrupting all the common dribble drive oriented offenses.

Of course it has situational options based on how others attack it, and the type of players etc ..

You can probably find youtube vids and coaching sites that will explain it in detail. I mean, this is the internet. Or ask one of the coaches on this board (boiler1987, or Bloom) to explain in better detail. Though they will probably overwhelm most with detail. Coach speak is a whole other language.

I guess you could call it a man defense with some zone principles (not really but kinda) ...not an RMK type, it has different rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: mazz
How do you know none offered him a job? Do you have insider information on every job that opened up? I'm sure all of us on the board are well rehearsed in what it takes to run a high major NCAA program. I'm sure you are well experienced in day to day operations, recruiting, drills and how to run a practice, keeping players interested, keeping players academics in order, pleasing the athletic department, being well rehearsed in PR in such a high expectation program, etc. I'll give you that, after bring the program from ashes, Crean wasn't the right coach to bring us to elite. That does not mean he was horrible. There are a handful of coaches who would succeed at the level we expect. 0f those, most are already at high profile jobs or wouldn't have the right personality and style to succeed at this job. Even UNC failed their first few times trying to replace a legend (without having to almost start from scratch). Give it a rest. Crean is a good coach, but far from an elite one. Now, stop with the bad trolling....

How do you know none offered him a job? Do you have insider information on every job that opened up? I'm sure all of us on the board are well rehearsed in what it takes to run a high major NCAA program. I'm sure you are well experienced in day to day operations, recruiting, drills and how to run a practice, keeping players interested, keeping players academics in order, pleasing the athletic department, being well rehearsed in PR in such a high expectation program, etc. I'll give you that, after bring the program from ashes, Crean wasn't the right coach to bring us to elite. That does not mean he was horrible. There are a handful of coaches who would succeed at the level we expect. 0f those, most are already at high profile jobs or wouldn't have the right personality and style to succeed at this job. Even UNC failed their first few times trying to replace a legend (without having to almost start from scratch). Give it a rest. Crean is a good coach, but far from an elite one. Now, stop with the bad trolling....
Yes.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT