ADVERTISEMENT

RIP destewart

Just thought some of you might like to know. The rivalry lost one of its best.
Thanks for posting, sorry to hear that. I get guys confused sometimes, but he was older but had worked for PU and/or the B10 in some capacity in the past, correct? Condolensces to his friends and family.

Thanks for posting, sorry to hear that. I get guys confused sometimes, but he was older but had worked for PU and/or the B10 in some capacity in the past, correct? Condolensces to his friends and family.
DePauw grad, Purdue fan. He was involved in organizing the first Big Ten football kickoff luncheon that was annually held in Chicago. He also worked for the Houston Oilers and was involved in them moving to Tennessee.

Des was a great fan and part of what makes the rivalry fun. He will be missed.

From the Purdue side:

https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/rip-destewart.1435512/post-28247776
Here is the list I found online:
Reporter City News Bureau, Chicago, 1964—1965, Chicago Tribune, 1965—1966. Public relations consultant Peoples Gas Company, Chicago, 1966—1969. Sports director Station WLFI-television, Lafayette, Indiana, 1969—1970.

Service Bureau Director Big Ten Conference, 1970—1973. Director public relations, marketing Chicago Bulls, 1973—1978. Vice president public relations, marketing Houston Oilers, 1978—1981, senior executive vice president, chief administrative officer, since 1989. (Note: he retired on or around 2002, I think)

Vice president marketing Chicago White Sox, 1981—1987, senior vice president marketing, broadcasting, 1987—1989. With Houston Oilers Publications, Inc., Houston Oilers Dancers, Inc. Director NFL Properties, licensed program.

Board directors, Major League Baseball Promotion Corporation. Founder Luv Ya Blue!, chairman American League Licensing Committee.

DePauw grad, Purdue fan. He was involved in organizing the first Big Ten football kickoff luncheon that was annually held in Chicago. He also worked for the Houston Oilers and was involved in them moving to Tennessee.

Des was a great fan and part of what makes the rivalry fun. He will be missed.

From the Purdue side:

https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/rip-destewart.1435512/post-28247776
Here is the list I found online:
Reporter City News Bureau, Chicago, 1964—1965, Chicago Tribune, 1965—1966. Public relations consultant Peoples Gas Company, Chicago, 1966—1969. Sports director Station WLFI-television, Lafayette, Indiana, 1969—1970.

Service Bureau Director Big Ten Conference, 1970—1973. Director public relations, marketing Chicago Bulls, 1973—1978. Vice president public relations, marketing Houston Oilers, 1978—1981, senior executive vice president, chief administrative officer, since 1989. (Note: he retired on or around 2002, I think)

Vice president marketing Chicago White Sox, 1981—1987, senior vice president marketing, broadcasting, 1987—1989. With Houston Oilers Publications, Inc., Houston Oilers Dancers, Inc. Director NFL Properties, licensed program.

Board directors, Major League Baseball Promotion Corporation. Founder Luv Ya Blue!, chairman American League Licensing Committee.
Oh man…

Worked for the white Sox and Bulls. Was he also instrumental in getting the Tennessee football stadium built? I may owe someone a call, if this is who I think it was, someone very close to me lost a dear friend.

Last edited:
Sad news, sorry to hear.

Rarely agreed with Des but he legitimately was one of the few Purdue posters on here with good intentions. Wasn't here to troll or agitate. Had a wealth of knowledge spanning multiple topics and always enjoyed some of his oldtimer stories he would share.

RIP

Sad news, sorry to hear.

Rarely agreed with Des but he legitimately was one of the few Purdue posters on here with good intentions. Wasn't here to troll or agitate. Had a wealth of knowledge spanning multiple topics and always enjoyed some of his oldtimer stories he would share.

RIP
I always wonder why PU fans come here. I've never been to the PU board. If one of you told me that they didn't have a board I would say, "ok, well maybe they should get one. Why don't they already?"

tone deaf
I’ll admit that given this thread is about the passing of a PU guy, as I’ve monitored it I’ve been slightly disappointed that no one has crossed the line and posted anything aggressively cruel or insensitive yet. The VanPastorMan post is weak sauce, relatively speaking, but I guess it’ll have to scratch the itch for now…

I’ll admit that given this thread is about the passing of a PU guy, as I’ve monitored it I’ve been slightly disappointed that no one has crossed the line and posted anything aggressively cruel or insensitive yet. The VanPastorMan post is weak sauce, relatively speaking, but I guess it’ll have to scratch the itch for now…
Well... I did rather wonder if my post on the Football Board concerning p u 's potential new stadium anthem "Balls Deep in a Sheep" might have done him in...

Insensitive enough for you?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DANC
Seemed like a great dude and always very engaging here and on their board. Had lots of great historical info, not just on PU, but IU and the whole league. Once I learned of his Sox front office experience years ago, we had another topic to discuss. Unfortunately, I never got to rant to him on the state of our favorite baseball team these last few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott
Destewart as was said was not an agitator. I was speaking more about those types.

Well... I did rather wonder if my post on the Football Board concerning p u 's potential new stadium anthem "Balls Deep in a Sheep" might have done him in...

Insensitive enough for you?
Revenge Of The Sith Evil Laugh GIF by Star Wars

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT