ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Neuheisel on the CBS halftime show…

Didn't CCC say this isn't a stepping stone this is where he wants to finish his career from? He seems to be a man of his word. The bigger problem is loosing Haines, shanahan, and sunseri. OC and DC are just as important as head Coach. Think about our last successful season. Deboer and Womack. Then end of season they left to take head coach positions and we sucked again. We have to hope these guys either really love CCC or IU pays up big because if not they will have plenty of opportunities at years end

Cig has a template. Get old and stay old. He will bring guys up like he did this year. He will recruit and develop guys too. He’s got a great eye for guys being underrated, undersized and under recruited. I think he likes to do those things. Perfect fit for us.

Cig is a results driven guy. Up his based by 15-20% and incentivize the heck out of his contract. 8 wins is $, 9 wins is $$, 10 wins is $$$...... do the same for the asst coaches.
FWIW Cig’s contract is already heavily incentivized. If they beat Northwestern and get a bowl bid, I think Cig will get an automatic one-year contract extension and, effectively, an $800,000 one-off increase which could expand to somewhere around $1 million if IU makes the playoff.

Personally I think that IU would have to go at least 11-1 to get to the CFP, and I don’t think even 11-1 would guarantee them a spot if an 11-1 (or 10-2) ND, Georgia or Tennessee was available.

FWIW Cig’s contract is already heavily incentivized. If they beat Northwestern and get a bowl bid, I think Cig will get an automatic one-year contract extension and, effectively, an $800,000 one-off increase which could expand to somewhere around $1 million if IU makes the playoff.

Personally I think that IU would have to go at least 11-1 to get to the CFP, and I don’t think even 11-1 would guarantee them a spot if an 11-1 (or 10-2) ND, Georgia or Tennessee was available.
Shit is absolutely rigged if ANY Big Ten team doesn't make the playoffs at 11-1...That would be a complete travesty.

I do not believe that would happen.

IndyResident has convinced me that schools the size/stature of Florida, Florida State, etc... are probably not going to hire him due to his age. I think the biggest threat will be from schools that are off a little bit of late, but have deeper football history. Virginia Tech, maybe a school like Ole Miss if Kiffin leaves for one of the Florida schools, maybe North Carolina if they move on...if schools like that are looking this offseason, those would concern me the most.
Virginia Tech would have scared me 10 years ago with Beamer stepping down. But fact remains that the ACC is a dying breed and is likely a lateral move at best in this day and age regardless of them having a great game day atmosphere. North Carolina isn’t going to replace a 75 year old coach with a 64 year old coach. If Cignetti leaves it’s going to be for a job that legitimately gives him a chance at winning a national title in the next 4-5 seasons. There’s about 8-10 programs who fit this profile, the large majority who aren’t going to experience a coaching vacancy.

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
If Cignetti leaves it’s going to be for a job that could legitimately gives him a chance at winning a national title in the next 4-5 seasons. There’s about 8-10 programs who fit this profile, the large majority who aren’t going to experience a coaching vacancy.
I believe CCC thinks he’s already at a place that can “legitimately” win a national title in the next 4-5 years. I really do.

It would also be nice if everyone quits assuming that we’ll lose to OSU.

Shit is absolutely rigged if ANY Big Ten team doesn't make the playoffs at 11-1...That would be a complete travesty.

I do not believe that would happen.
I agree it would be a travesty but I could see it happening if, for example, the B1G managed to end up with one 12-0 team and three 11-1 teams (I haven’t cross-referenced the schedules to see which group of schools that might be). Especially if the second-best team in the ACC or Big 12 is also 11-1. And Notre Dame finishes 11-1, or even 10-2.

I agree it would be a travesty but I could see it happening if, for example, the B1G managed to end up with one 12-0 team and three 11-1 teams (I haven’t cross-referenced the schedules to see which group of schools that might be). Especially if the second-best team in the ACC or Big 12 is also 11-1. And Notre Dame finishes 11-1, or even 10-2.
11-1 should get it in. But that does imply not making B10 title game. 12 teams is a lot though. Even if the SEC gets 4 teams, it still looks more likely than not that B10 gets more than 2.

11-1 should get it in. But that does imply not making B10 title game. 12 teams is a lot though. Even if the SEC gets 4 teams, it still looks more likely than not that B10 gets more than 2.
I’d be surprised if the B1G and SEC got a combined 8 teams in the playoff. That would leave, what, 1 Big 12 slot and 1 ACC slot and 1 G5 slot? And one slot that will probably go to Notre Dame (unless they have at least 3 losses)?

I think it’s more likely that B1G/SEC get 7, or even 6 teams in, which I suspect will result in some deserving B1G and/or SEC team(s) on the outside looking in. Especially if a marquee team like Clemson or Miami is the ACC runner up, or if a “media hype” team like Colorado is the Big 12 runner up.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I believe CCC thinks he’s already at a place that can “legitimately” win a national title in the next 4-5 years. I really do.

It would also be nice if everyone quits assuming that we’ll lose to OSU.
The New Indiana will enter the Shoe 10-0 against OSU & the favorite!

• Love
Reactions: td75
Didn't CCC say this isn't a stepping stone this is where he wants to finish his career from? He seems to be a man of his word. The bigger problem is loosing Haines, shanahan, and sunseri. OC and DC are just as important as head Coach. Think about our last successful season. Deboer and Womack. Then end of season they left to take head coach positions and we sucked again. We have to hope these guys either really love CCC or IU pays up big because if not they will have plenty of opportunities at years end
CCC is about loyalty. IU will see that he has everything he wants/needs to be successful longterm. His assistants have also been loyal to him. I expect we have 3 years with this current staff before we start to see them leave for HC opportunities.
The BIG question mark is will the fans show up!! If they don't we could be in jeopardy of losing CCC.

What Coach Cig is doing at IU is remarkable. However it is not as much Coach Cig leaving as much as it is one of his coordinators leaving and possibly taking some other members of the staff with them. Some of the reason for Cig's success is continuity of the staff. I don't doubt Cig's ability to find coaching talent as well as playing talent but I would rather not run the risk and find out. Is this selfish on my part ...absolutely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT