ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Neuheisel on the CBS halftime show…

This appeared to be all Dolson’s hire and he sold Cig and staff on IU. I’m sure he has a plan if raises are deserved.

If things keep going well it will be interesting to see how much we can increase our NIL. Get some boosters excited I could see some pretty big increases. That coupled with the rev share (likely no issues for IU to fund that) could give this staff a lot more money for players.

All of the above could be a big boost in resources for the staff, which is obviously very appealing. No telling what happens if a huge program comes calling, but I suspect mid level programs may struggle to get him.

This appeared to be all Dolson’s hire and he sold Cig and staff on IU. I’m sure he has a plan if raises are deserved.

If things keep going well it will be interesting to see how much we can increase our NIL. Get some boosters excited I could see some pretty big increases. That coupled with the rev share (likely no issues for IU to fund that) could give this staff a lot more money for players.

All of the above could be a big boost in resources for the staff, which is obviously very appealing. No telling what happens if a huge program comes calling, but I suspect mid level programs may struggle to get him.
Cuban can do more with his $4.6 billion. But alas, Cuban is not a visionary. Doesn’t see the impact of college football and the returns down the road. And, he hates the game of football in general.

When it comes to supporting his alma mater, he’s tunnel visioned on basketball. He doesn’t even recognize football as vital to the health of the university. I think he actually dislikes the sport. So, yes, he lacks vision. Invest in your cash cow Mark!

He doesn't support the basketball program either. He is ardently anti-NCAA, and he refuses to give money to support college sports because of it.

When it comes to supporting his alma mater, he’s tunnel visioned on basketball. He doesn’t even recognize football as vital to the health of the university. I think he actually dislikes the sport. So, yes, he lacks vision. Invest in your cash cow Mark!
Not so sure Cuban actually dislikes FB, he just thinks there is no future in the sport due to CTE, and isn’t going to pour money into something with no future.

McAfee, Neuheisel...its a matter of time now before some of the more major guys like Herbstreit start talking about it. And I'm sure there will be a story with he and Saban on it before too long.

IU is going to have to both pay, and heavily persuade, Cig that IU is a better place to finish his career than a number of other traditionally "better" programs, because many of them will be after him, if they aren't already.

Not to forget that, at least imo, Coach Cignetti was highly sought after when IU got him. Did big things, in all facets, at JMU. Either other suitors didn't trust a "smaller school " coach with a great record, or Coach Cig didn't care for them (location/ethics/$offer), or, well, we made the best offer with best risk/reward which he loves. We took the chance with the big money first. Fans keep showing up, a few more wins this season, some bowl wins ... just assure him he's the man going forward, because he is the real deal. And remind him that the sky's the limit if he gets this sleeping B1G school ramped up here. And, what's not to like about Bloomington for a midwest career guy and family? Legacy.

Not to forget that, at least imo, Coach Cignetti was highly sought after when IU got him. Did big things, in all facets, at JMU. Either other suitors didn't trust a "smaller school " coach with a great record, or Coach Cig didn't care for them (location/ethics/$offer), or, well, we made the best offer with best risk/reward which he loves. We took the chance with the big money first. Fans keep showing up, a few more wins this season, some bowl wins ... just assure him he's the man going forward, because he is the real deal. And remind him that the sky's the limit if he gets this sleeping B1G school ramped up here. And, what's not to like about Bloomington for a midwest career guy and family? Legacy.
This my POV.

That all sounds great until a school in the south offers $10 mil a year and seemingly unlimited NIL $

Very reasonable take here. I hope it holds a lot of truth.

The good news is all of this worry of losing him relies on him winning more games. So it'd end up being a great problem to have.

It depends on what he wants his legacy to be. Is he a guy that would like to be THE coach that took lowly Indiana from the cellar to perennial big ten title champs, building a legacy at the school? Or does he want a shot to win a couple titles at schools where the expectation is winning and there is no new legacy to build?

I’m genuinely curious

It depends on what he wants his legacy to be. Is he a guy that would like to be THE coach that took lowly Indiana from the cellar to perennial big ten title champs, building a legacy at the school? Or does he want a shot to win a couple titles at schools where the expectation is winning and there is no new legacy to build?

I’m genuinely curious
Obviously that'll be the main question.

He has left 3 schools already though, to "step up". Indiana is obviously very different in lots of ways to JMU...but he could have stayed there to end his career, and probably had statues outside their stadium too.

IndyResident has convinced me that schools the size/stature of Florida, Florida State, etc... are probably not going to hire him due to his age. I think the biggest threat will be from schools that are off a little bit of late, but have deeper football history. Virginia Tech, maybe a school like Ole Miss if Kiffin leaves for one of the Florida schools, maybe North Carolina if they move on...if schools like that are looking this offseason, those would concern me the most.

As many have mentioned, I think an equally big concern will be him losing key members of his staff to head coaching gigs. Cig seems like the type that we should trust to back fill with good options, but we did see how damaging that was to Allen when he lost his main assistants.

Reactions: red hornet
“Heavenly bodies came into proper alignment with your head coach, assistant coaches and schedule. Bask in the comfort of your nation knowing you have “the next Saban” whether prophecy ultimately proves real or imagined. Lingering so long in anticipation of the unknown future steals moments of joy from the known Now that obliterates all past futility. Be here, not there, in time’s ever present Now. It’s there for you to see, just take a look and Be. Burn slowly, the Candle of Life”.
~ Confucius (the former Dexter Whitehead) speaking in translated Sanskrit.

“Heavenly bodies came into proper alignment with your head coach, assistant coaches and schedule. Bask in the comfort of your nation knowing you have “the next Saban” whether prophecy ultimately proves real or imagined. Lingering so long in anticipation of the unknown future steals moments of joy from the known Now that obliterates all past futility. Be here, not there, in time’s ever present Now. It’s there for you to see, just take a look and Be. Burn slowly, the Candle of Life”.
~ Confucius (the former Dexter Whitehead) speaking in translated Sanskrit.
Cig is a results driven guy. Up his based by 15-20% and incentivize the heck out of his contract. 8 wins is $, 9 wins is $$, 10 wins is $$$...... do the same for the asst coaches.

Reactions: iulb and red hornet
McAfee, Neuheisel...its a matter of time now before some of the more major guys like Herbstreit start talking about it. And I'm sure there will be a story with he and Saban on it before too long.

IU is going to have to both pay, and heavily persuade, Cig that IU is a better place to finish his career than a number of other traditionally "better" programs, because many of them will be after him, if they aren't already.
He keeps this up for 10 years and there will be a statue of him erected outside MS. That’s got to be worth something, right? All these other places he is just another guy.

Obviously that'll be the main question.

He has left 3 schools already though, to "step up". Indiana is obviously very different in lots of ways to JMU...but he could have stayed there to end his career, and probably had statues outside their stadium too.

IndyResident has convinced me that schools the size/stature of Florida, Florida State, etc... are probably not going to hire him due to his age. I think the biggest threat will be from schools that are off a little bit of late, but have deeper football history. Virginia Tech, maybe a school like Ole Miss if Kiffin leaves for one of the Florida schools, maybe North Carolina if they move on...if schools like that are looking this offseason, those would concern me the most.

As many have mentioned, I think an equally big concern will be him losing key members of his staff to head coaching gigs. Cig seems like the type that we should trust to back fill with good options, but we did see how damaging that was to Allen when he lost his main assistants.
My hope is with some combo of more money for the HC/staff, increased NIL, improved fan support, continued investment in facilities (tbd exactly what), and being in the lucrative and stable Big 10, we can fend off some of those mid-tier schools you mentioned if they come calling someday.

If we keep this up, other schools in cut throat CFB are going to say l want what IU is doing.

He keeps this up for 10 years and there will be a statue of him erected outside MS. That’s got to be worth something, right? All these other places he is just another guy.
Ask Pat and Tim Knight what they think a HOF coach’s 29 years between Lou Watson and Mike Davis might be worth.

I’m genuinely curious
There's constant and enormous pressure on a coach at the elite college football schools to compete for conference championships and the CFP every single season. Seven to nine-win seasons don't cut it. A head coach at places like UF and UM has powerful, big-donor alums and others of influence constantly breathing down his neck. That's not and won't be (at least for the foreseeable future) something a head coach at IU has to contend with. That could be yet another reason for CCC to opt for a long stay in Bloomington when other suitors come calling after a season or two of high-level success at IU.

There's constant and enormous pressure on a coach at the elite college football schools to compete for conference championships and the CFP every single season. Seven to nine-win seasons don't cut it. A head coach at places like UF and UM has powerful, big-donor alums and others of influence constantly breathing down his neck. That's not and won't be (at least for the foreseeable future) something a head coach at IU has to contend with. That could be yet another reason for CCC to opt for a long stay in Bloomington when other suitors come calling after a season or two of high-level success at IU.
Also...if he comes "close" this year, but loses to say Michigan and OSU...I would think Cig is the type that would relish in the challenge to come back and figure out a way to continue to elevate the program to where we can beat those types of schools.

There are a lot of reasons why he'd stay at IU. I just hope those outweigh the reasons he'd want a different challenge, because he'll be presented with a lot of them...I assume he already is being presented with them actually.

Agree. And some of those programs may have declined in part because things turned toxic with politics and infighting among the AD/Pres/Board/Boosters. Not an easy situation to jump into for a coach.

There is a lot of season left to play out, with our toughest games still in front of us, before putting the Saban crown on Cig. That being said it’s obvious he is the “real deal”. I’m not worried about losing Cig to Arkansas/ Va Tech etc because of cash but rather am worried a premier “we can win a natty” type of school comes after him. Maybe that would entice him to leave but maybe he will be a Snyder/Beamer guy confident that he can accomplish his goals at IU.

Next year will be tougher. NIL prices are always going up. Cig was or is at the forefront, he knew how to do it, but his early success and some other teams success will make portal bidding and recruiting even more competitive. No Rourke. No 'half the team is in the portal one week after season' which helped Cig get talent because he had spots. Although he did take quite a percentage of one year guys so while they are good he may replace them at least as well.

Hopefully it'll balance with an entire team already trained in Coach Cig's 'Indiana Way'.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT