ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Neuheisel on the CBS halftime show…

What Coach Cig is doing at IU is remarkable. However it is not as much Coach Cig leaving as much as it is one of his coordinators leaving and possibly taking some other members of the staff with them. Some of the reason for Cig's success is continuity of the staff. I don't doubt Cig's ability to find coaching talent as well as playing talent but I would rather not run the risk and find out. Is this selfish on my part ...absolutely.
Right that's exactly what I said. I'm more worried about one or both these coordinators leaving then I am CCC.

Reactions: TominDallas
CCC is about loyalty. IU will see that he has everything he wants/needs to be successful longterm. His assistants have also been loyal to him. I expect we have 3 years with this current staff before we start to see them leave for HC opportunities.
The BIG question mark is will the fans show up!! If they don't we could be in jeopardy of losing CCC.
Fans are there. The official attendance at the Maryland game was 48343. Memorial stadium only holds 52000. That's over 90% full.

Reactions: TominDallas
It’s not really about 12 teams, it’s about 7 teams (6 if you assume Notre Dame is all but automatic unless they’re 9-3 or worse)
Two of those five teams are going to be from SEC/B10 anyway. The remaining three will be from the ACC/B12/highest remaining conference champion...all 3 of those conferences will be one bid leagues. 9 of the playoff teams will be comprised of the B10 and SEC, 8 if ND gets in.

Notre Dame is far from an auto even at 1 loss (this year). If they lose 2, they're done (this year)
Possibly but if so it would imo be because one of the losses was to NIU. If ND had beaten No Illinois and ended with only a loss to USC I think they’d probably be in, and I wouldn’t have been surprised if they would’ve gotten in at 10-2 if the 2 losses had been to Tex A&M and USC.

Possibly but if so it would imo be because one of the losses was to NIU. If ND had beaten No Illinois and ended with only a loss to USC I think they’d probably be in, and I wouldn’t have been surprised if they would’ve gotten in at 10-2 if the 2 losses had been to Tex A&M and USC.
No argument from me. Who you lost to matters.

I'm more worried about one or both these coordinators leaving then I am CCC.
Give both those guys a nice bump and they won't go anywhere, at least not right away.

Haines' total compensation package is $1.1 annually. That places him not far outside the top 10 nationally in compensation for defensive coordinators.

If this year continues as it's going, I doubt Haines would have much difficulty landing a HC job at a Group of 5 program, much like Kane Wommack did when he accepted the HC position at South Alabama. I don't think Haines would draw much, if any, interest from a P4 program as a HC, though, at least not yet. IU should pay him so he's not tempted to bolt for a HC job at a G5 school.

Back to Wommack for a second. He made $810k in his last year as HC at South Alabama and almost doubled that ($1.55) when he accepted the DC position under DeBoer at Alabama. He left a head coaching position for a coordinator job. No, IU isn't Alabama but money talks. Pay these guys (Haines and Shanahan) and they'll stay a while longer.

Shanahan's total annual package, btw, is $800k. He deserves a hefty increase after this season - - again assuming we continue on this current trajectory.

Give both those guys a nice bump and they won't go anywhere, at least not right away.

Haines' total compensation package is $1.1 annually. That places him not far outside the top 10 nationally in compensation for defensive coordinators.

If this year continues as it's going, I doubt Haines would have much difficulty landing a HC job at a Group of 5 program, much like Kane Wommack did when he accepted the HC position at South Alabama. I don't think Haines would draw much, if any, interest from a P4 program as a HC, though, at least not yet. IU should pay him so he's not tempted to bolt for a HC job at a G5 school.

Back to Wommack for a second. He made $810k in his last year as HC at South Alabama and almost doubled that ($1.55) when he accepted the DC position under DeBoer at Alabama. He left a head coaching position for a coordinator job. No, IU isn't Alabama but money talks. Pay these guys (Haines and Shanahan) and they'll stay a while longer.

Shanahan's total annual package, btw, is $800k. He deserves a hefty increase after this season - - again assuming we continue on this current trajectory.
It’s not just about money, it’s also about the quality of the prospective openings in any given season. If a school like Akron or Kent State came after Shanahan or Haines to be their next HC I think Cig could probably retain them if he really wanted to, but if an elite program like Oklahoma came after Shanahan I don’t think it would be a question of IU matching their offer.

Ordinarily an opportunity to coach at Oklahoma would simply be too good to pass up. But in Oklahoma’s specific case RIGHT NOW, their head coach may be on sufficiently shaky ground himself to make Shanahan and other potential OC candidates think twice about their own potential job security if they made a move to Norman.

Reactions: CG Paul
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT