ADVERTISEMENT

Regardless of what you think ought to happen.....

Will Coach Allen be HC at Indiana next season?

• Yes

Votes: 60 67.4%
  • No

Votes: 29 32.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hes going nowhere. What precedent is there to compare him with? Those two magical years is his saving grace. This team is on course to finish with two wins, and one of those was a fraking miracle vs , GULP---Akron.

I don't believe that Allen will be dismissed and man is that going to create a bad look. Next week is homecoming so I bet that at.least early on, there will be 40k or so in the stadium. From there forward, until a change is made, I bet we'll struggle to have more than 20k in the seats l.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I don't believe that Allen will be dismissed and man is that going to create a bad look. Next week is homecoming so I bet that at.least early on, there will be 40k or so in the stadium. From there forward, until a change is made, I bet we'll struggle to have more than 20k in the seats l.
Imagine what it will do to season ticket renewals . . .

If Allen had an ounce of honor he’d accept a much-reduced buyout. Failing that, any power to accept players or hire coaches needs to be taken from him to give the next coach a cleaner slate. The portal makes that feasible and embarrassment might move him where pride doesn’t. Unless his financial ability is even worse than his coaching ability he’s set up for life and he can give his kids good starts.

Reactions: Cap99
For those wondering about coach Allen's honor, remember he has more to consider than himself as assistant coaches would lose their jobs too.

For those wondering about coach Allen's honor, remember he has more to consider than himself as assistant coaches would lose their jobs too.
They aren't doing their jobs wonderfully either. He's harming his team and IU's athletic future vs keeping some mediocre assistant coaches in these jobs an extra year or two. He's doing more harm by staying.

If Allen had an ounce of honor he’d accept a much-reduced buyout. Failing that, any power to accept players or hire coaches needs to be taken from him to give the next coach a cleaner slate. The portal makes that feasible and embarrassment might move him where pride doesn’t. Unless his financial ability is even worse than his coaching ability he’s set up for life and he can give his kids good starts.
Would you do the same at your job if your employer told you that you weren’t good enough to work there? I know what I’d say/do.

I think if we lose against Rutgers, he's gone, if we win, he stays another year. I really do see this is a last stand game. The buyouts aren't real. We'll pay maybe half of that 20 million if we were to fire him. Allen isn't going to not seek employment for the next 5 or 6 years.

We have to renew to keep getting our bonus points for basketball. It sucks, but IU has us by the you know what's.
I get that, but there won’t be growth and, for those without hoops tickets, there’s less stickiness to their ticket buying decision.

If he returns,next year could be even worse.
They have got find a creative way to pay his buyout.
There is no way he can recover from this,it appears the players have quit on him.
He is not Big Ten head coach material,even at Indiana.
It’s a shame someone didn’t stop the ridiculous buyout package he was given.

I get that, but there won’t be growth and, for those without hoops tickets, there’s less stickiness to their ticket buying decision.
We let our season tickets go before last season. For us, it was easy because we've never been basketball season ticket holders.

We've still been to two games this season. If we wait until late Friday or first thing Saturday morning, we can get pretty good seats for $20 - $25 each.

Somebody who posts here pretty frequently posted that they were ready to drop $1k on a football weekend for homecoming. I think he said he was taking his family to Cedar Point instead. In our case, we're headed to Rockville for the Covered Bridge Fest. It's just not a real enjoyable time being at the game lately.

We let our season tickets go before last season. For us, it was easy because we've never been basketball season ticket holders.

We've still been to two games this season. If we wait until late Friday or first thing Saturday morning, we can get pretty good seats for $20 - $25 each.

Somebody who posts here pretty frequently posted that they were ready to drop $1k on a football weekend for homecoming. I think he said he was taking his family to Cedar Point instead. In our case, we're headed to Rockville for the Covered Bridge Fest. It's just not a real enjoyable time being at the game lately.
When anger turns to apathy and indifference, even long time loyal fans start looking for alternatives. I’m sure Dolson understands this well.

You reach a point where the potential lost revenue exceeds the cost of the buyout. Pewop[le have options for spending their entertainment dollar. When the dissatisfaction with performance exceeds the ticket price, you lose season ticket and single game buyers. That in turn leads to loss of concession, parking, and merchandise revenue. When fans totally lose interest and turn off their Tv's and find other things to do with their time, You have no way to replace ticket revenue with casual fans or those Who might be interested in attending one or two games a year.

Dolson has to decide when the program has reached that point and bite the bullet up front for a Buyout and new hire in order to preserve the possibility of the future revenue streams.

There is no way he can recover from this,it appears the players have quit on him.
IIRC, Paul Chryst negotiated a buyout deal at Wisky for substantially less than the full amount, the catch being that he got it all up front at severence. Therefore he didn't have to wait for his money or worry about future coaching revenue reducing the total payout. I can see a similar thing playing out with CTA if both parties clearly understand that he will be fired after next season anyway. For IU, the pain will mean having to pony up that full chunk at once.

I might be wrong, but I suspect finding private donors to fund the buyout will be more problematic than it was with Archie. Like it or not, passion for a successful basketball team at IU runs a lot deeper with the high rollers than for football. Given the fact that it is he himself who made the deal with CTA, Dolson might run into some resistance with the BOT if he asks the university to fully absorb the buyout. At the very least, it will likely cost him some serious capital. OTOH, Mike Woodson's success in moving the bball program forward and upgrading recruiting might make a compelling argument for pulling the trigger on CTA asap.

"SHOW ME THE MONEY!"
Would you do the same at your job if your employer told you that you weren’t good enough to work there? I know what I’d say/do.
I hope that if I’d already been paid all the money I’ll ever need and the evidence was this strong I couldn’t do the job I was paid all that to do and I and my staff were wasting the team’s time, then I would walk away. You and Tom may be more greedy.

At the very least, it will likely cost him some serious capital. OTOH, Mike Woodson's success in moving the bball program forward and upgrading recruiting might make a compelling argument for pulling the trigger on CTA asap.

If Dolson wants to move on CTA this year and pay the price, he had better already have a plan in place for a replacement that he can sell to the powers-that-be. In the basketball situation, he had the Stevens offer set up and Woodson was his Plan B.

I hope that if I’d already been paid all the money I’ll ever need and the evidence was this strong I couldn’t do the job I was paid all that to do and I and my staff were wasting the team’s time, then I would walk away. You and Tom may be more greedy.
I don’t think it’s greed. A contract was signed. If CTA was winning 80% of his games and Texas, SC or another big dog wanted him, I’m sure you expect them to pay his buyout? He will never make this kind of money again, get what you can.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Allen’s previous contract from 2019 also had a $20 million buyout. It just came a year earlier, after Season Two.

My heart breaks for any coach at the D -1 level..Asst too..
They all make 6 to 7 figures..If you've not put some of that back...Then that's on you...

I've had at least 8 football and basketball assistant coaches live/lived in my neighborhood over the past 20+ years (homes today priced 400k to 700k). Those coaches
(Hiller, C. Johnson, Hart, Wilt, Kish, B.R. Johnson, McConnell, Seltzer, Hunter) were rarely home and most were gone by 6am and home after 9pm. I can't say that was every single day as I didn’t stalk them but over 20 years, you observe things, especially when 5 of them are your direct neighbors.

They make a lot, but on an hourly basis, it's not so great. A tough life, IMHO

If we lose next week I think Dolson will be forced to make a move. Can we afford to buyout Allen? Probably not. Can we afford to not buy out Allen? Probably not.
I don't know if it is possible, but could we suspend Allen with pay or demote him, appoint Carey as an interim head coach and fire Allen at the earliest possible date?

The players may revolt, but their play is already revolting. Maybe we could pick up some good MAC players that want to play their last year on a P5 conference team.

IIRC, Paul Chryst negotiated a buyout deal at Wisky for substantially less than the full amount, the catch being that he got it all up front at severence. Therefore he didn't have to wait for his money or worry about future coaching revenue reducing the total payout. I can see a similar thing playing out with CTA if both parties clearly understand that he will be fired after next season anyway. For IU, the pain will mean having to pony up that full chunk at once.

I might be wrong, but I suspect finding private donors to fund the buyout will be more problematic than it was with Archie. Like it or not, passion for a successful basketball team at IU runs a lot deeper with the high rollers than for football. Given the fact that it is he himself who made the deal with CTA, Dolson might run into some resistance with the BOT if he asks the university to fully absorb the buyout. At the very least, it will likely cost him some serious capital. OTOH, Mike Woodson's success in moving the bball program forward and upgrading recruiting might make a compelling argument for pulling the trigger on CTA asap.
I like Woodson but has he really been that successful?

Did you see what he accomplished last season despite the injury to three starters including his best player?

That’s a little melodramatic.

He did okay. Nothing special. Had a couple games where they were completely embarrassed (KU, Penn State, Rutgers) and very little fight.

If Dolson wants to move on CTA this year and pay the price, he had better already have a plan in place for a replacement that he can sell to the powers-that-be. In the basketball situation, he had the Stevens offer set up and Woodson was his Plan B.
The delta is just under $13MM if my cocktail napkin math is right. Keeping him could do more damage than that.

Offset by an extra year of potential earning by TA elsewhere (which could be $0)

I have a feeling we may all be surprised at the end of the season. Just a feeling, no inside info...we all saw it before with AM. Assuming the BOT would not interfere.

The delta is just under $13MM if my cocktail napkin math is right. Keeping him could do more damage than that.

Offset by an extra year of potential earning by TA elsewhere (which could be $0)

I have a feeling we may all be surprised at the end of the season. Just a feeling, no inside info...we all saw it before with AM. Assuming the BOT would not interfere.
I have no faith in replacing coach Allen, if they do, with a coach that can bring IU up to the level of the new B1G next season. I still say the best situation for IU is to pony up for top coordinators and quick making coach Allen trying to find the gem in lesser coordinators. Coach Allen gives the university no problems to deal with and like when Wommack and DeBoer was here IU can improve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT