ADVERTISEMENT

Refs were good… until they weren’t.

Wiedersehen

Junior
Jan 6, 2019
Refs made some difficult and correct calls for much of the game. The crowd hated it. It got so bad the bald guy had to tell an elderly woman on the floor to sit down and zip it.

With that said, they totally choked in the final 10 minutes and it cost us the game. Felt like they made a ridiculous amount of calls against IU to appease the crowd.

for those who watched on TV, was TJD’s block really a goaltend? And did the iowa steal in front of their bench really go off of Rob’s leg? Looked like a make up call.

Refs made some difficult and correct calls for much of the game. The crowd hated it. It got so bad the bald guy had to tell an elderly woman on the floor to sit down and zip it.

With that said, they totally choked in the final 10 minutes and it cost us the game. Felt like they made a ridiculous amount of calls against IU to appease the crowd.

for those who watched on TV, was TJD’s block really a goaltend? And did the iowa steal in front of their bench really go off of Rob’s leg? Looked like a make up call.
Critical bad call of the game... Stewart blows by his man to the rim, defender pulls an asphalt court reach around elbow foul and Stewart loses the ball and gets called for a foul himself.

Look. The refs were terrible and did screw us several times. It could have changed the game enough to lose. But we played like dog shit that second half and frankly deserved to lose. Refs or not.

Look. The refs were terrible and did screw us several times. It could have changed the game enough to lose. But we played like dog shit that second half and frankly deserved to lose. Refs or not.
Agree. But being in the arena it was obvious that the zebras were making calls to get the crowd off of their backs.

Iowa fan here who was at the game.

The refs were brutal. All game. In the first half, the one ref who got bawled out by Fran and T’d him up (justifiably), decided to be a vindictive little prick and screwed Iowa a few times.

Then in the back part of the second half, you guys are totally right - it was like they decided they needed to “even it up” and then all the ticky tacks and bad calls went against Indiana.

I guess that makes it a wash? But yeah, Big 10 officiating is straight garbage.

I'd say it wasn't good .But you're on the road in the BIG .
It wasn't the refs..But a very weak trap press that did us in ..It's wasn't even a hard up in you're body press...Bad pass after bad pass..

How many turnovers did IU commit and how many points did it lead to for Iowa?

The officials were bad. IU benefited from calls. They were simply brutal, as already mentioned.

Balls off people called for other team. Little equity in those calls.

The refs were typical for a road game in the Big Ten. We simply hunkered down in the corner like a scared little church mouse when things got tough. Turnovers and missed free throws were what cost us this game, not the refs.

There are always Plenty of questionable calls both ways. Whether it’s our board, Iowa board or the boards of any other team in the league while playing, a common in-game Thread is “these refs suck, costing our team the game, 5 vs 8, blah, blah, blah.”

As someone mentioned above, it wasn’t the refs throwing the ball away for 23 TOs, that was XJ, RP and Race. It wasn’t the refs trying to dribble poorly thru a press vs passing over it (as Raftery said they should be doing) to make them pay. IU was in the bonus with 10 minutes left and only at 2 fouls as a team. How did IU take advantage of that? By having more empty trips due to TOs and splitting their FTs (1/2 each time) on, I believe, 5 occasions to the line. Oh, and 11 Offensive Rebounds were given up by IU in the 2nd half. Add it all up and tough to win any game, much less on the road in this league.

First half Momentum was hurt, lead squandered, with 5 bench guys on the floor at same time. 2nd half chance to jump on them early and build a lead was killed when XJ turned the ball over on 3 of the first 4 possessions. That got the crowd and Iowa back into it. Not the refs.

Last edited:
I just looked at the complete box score. The combined numbers of our PG duo (X and RP) were atrocious.

But the one stat the jumps out at me, more than any other.....The other Murray brother (who had the game of his life) taking 18 shots...while our AA gets only 8. We held the nation's leading scorer to 12 pts and little Bo peep shot 2 for 11 from the field, and yet we still found a way to lose.

Credit Iowa D for TJD getting only 8 shots. Other players need to step up and we all know that will be a game-to-game struggle. Galloway was 4-6 and Stewart 4-7 but Kopp, X, RP and Bates were a combined 6-21 FG. Add in the TOs (23) and FT shooting (13-21) and the result is a Loss.

I just looked at the complete box score. The combined numbers of our PG duo (X and RP) were atrocious.

But the one stat the jumps out at me, more than any other.....The other Murray brother (who had the game of his life) taking 18 shots...while our AA gets only 8. We held the nation's leading scorer to 12 pts and little Bo peep shot 2 for 11 from the field, and yet we still found a way to lose.

Any proof that the Murray brothers didn’t change jerseys at some point last night to keep Keegan on the floor? Color me suspicious.

Critical bad call of the game... Stewart blows by his man to the rim, defender pulls an asphalt court reach around elbow foul and Stewart loses the ball and gets called for a foul himself.
Agreed. Another call..... XJ drives the lane on the left side (camera view)..... Defender goes up for the block with his left arm.... but he also has his left hand dragging down on XJ's left arm. Shot is blocked out of bounds and IU get's the ball.
But should have been a foul. Ref was out of position to see the event happen.... but video replay showed it perfectly.

Reactions: FtWayneToAtlanta
They missed an easy goal tending call on tjd in the first half when he grabbed the rim on a layup

They missed an easy goal tending call on tjd in the first half when he grabbed the rim on a layup
Made up for it in the second half when they called goal tending on him and looked like a good block. And BT tv didn’t do a replay. I do have a question for anyone. Does it seem to you that we tend to lose games when Lurch (bald headed ref)/Bull from Night Court refs our games? Just asking.

Reactions: Beorik
Made up for it in the second half when they called goal tending on him and looked like a good block. And BT tv didn’t do a replay. I do have a question for anyone. Does it seem to you that we tend to lose games when Lurch (bald headed ref)/Bull from Night Court refs our games? Just asking.
I don’t have an answer for you but had to lol at the Bull from Night Court reference. I hadn’t thought about that show in years.

It began with the first play of the second half. Xavier Johnson was knocked down, the defender stole the ball and the refs didn't call a foul on Iowa.

Bingo..... that's exactly what I call him also!!!!!!!!!!! Lurch!!!!!! the bald headed ref!!!!!!!!

It began with the first play of the second half. Xavier Johnson was knocked down, the defender stole the ball and the refs didn't call a foul on Iowa.
That's exactly what I thought. McCaffrey told them in the locker room to play ally ball in the second half... blood and guts.... and we didn't fight back against it.... and the refs didn't call them out on it, because Fran had his meltdown technical and then screamed at the refs during the brew ha ha at the end of the 1st half,

I'd say it wasn't good .But you're on the road in the BIG .
It wasn't the refs..But a very weak trap press that did us in ..It's wasn't even a hard up in you're body press...Bad pass after bad pass..
The only time that I think we really beat that weak press was when Trey cut through the middle of the court and took a pass in motion and drove the lane. I believe he threw up a Lofter about 6 feet out and got the basket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT