ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

According to Squonk "momentum" doesn't exist, which was the reason for my post. Also, when cherry picking coaches, quit using Beilein. He's not the standard.

He and half the coaches in the sweet sixteen are why you don’t have emotional tantrums after just two years. Not being psychotic asshole fans is the standard. But hey, look at it like you have room to grow!

Reactions: MrBing
I am not ready to jump off a cliff but this is just not realistic either. It seems that on this board it is two extremes, either everything is disaster or everything is sunny. The truth lies somewhere in between.

Wrong.

Actually, the two extremes are:

1. Those who characterize the IU basketball program as a dumpster fire, clown show, and will obviously be worse this year (cryandwhine, feepaw, pranky, etc). Interestingly, none of these geniuses were willing to accept Aloha's bet that the Hoosiers would make the tournament this year, even though they waste post after post telling us how they are set to go downhill. One could say they are merely trolls attempting to do what trolls do...make outrageous claims to stir the pot. Trolls gonna troll.

2. Those who are willing to give CAM more than 2 seasons, but will be more than willing to call for his job if he doesn't get results soon.

Wait, I guess the truth of the matter is there is really only one extreme.

Reactions: jet812
Wrong.

1. Those who characterize the IU basketball program as a dumpster fire, clown show, and will obviously be worse this year (cryandwhine, feepaw, pranky, etc). Interestingly, none of these geniuses were willing to accept Aloha's bet that the Hoosiers would make the tournament this year, even though they waste post after post telling us how they are set to go downhill. One could say they are merely trolls attempting to do what trolls do...make outrageous claims to stir the pot. Trolls gonna troll.

2. Those who are willing to give CAM more than 2 seasons, but will be more than willing to call for his job if he doesn't get results soon.

Thanks for proving his point.

Someone posted a couple months back an article and IU was outside the top 40 for wins the past 25 years. We haven't won a title in 30+ years. We have made only 2 Final Fours the past 30 years. We haven't made it past the SW16 in 17 years. We have missed The NCAA tourney the last 7 out of 11 years. Next year, the projections (from what I have read) seem to be a bubble team and a middle of the pack Big Ten team, which seems reasonable.

Now compare that to where we were at in the late 80's early 90's. I would argue the 2nd best program in the country. It's not extreme for someone to conclude that we're a dumpster fire. You can change the wording if you like, but over the past 30 years Indiana has went from a top 3 program to not even a top 20 program.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman and DrP22
He and half the coaches in the sweet sixteen are why you don’t have emotional tantrums after just two years. Not being psychotic asshole fans is the standard. But hey, look at it like you have room to grow!

I'm with you. Let Archie build his program. After reading your post, I took the time to research the first 3 years of records that the coaches had at the S16 programs. UNC, UK and Gonzaga achieved success right away. Here are how the other 13 coaches/teams did the first three years at the school:

Duke, Coach K: 17-13.10-17, 11-17.
Virginia, TBennett: 15-16, 16-17, 22-10.
MSU, TIzzo: 16-16, 17-12, 22-8.
Michigan, JBeilein: 10-22, 21-14, 15-17.
TexTech, CBeard: 18-14, 27-10, 31-7.
Tennessee, RBarnes: 18-19, 16-16, 26-9.
Purdue, MPainter: 9-19, 22-12, 25-9.
FSU, LHamilton: 14-15, 19-14, 12-19.
Houston, KSampson: 13-19, 22-10, 21-11.
Auburn, BPearl: 15-20, 11-20, 18-14.
LSU, WWade: 18-15, 25-5
Oregon, DAltman: 21-18, 24-10(NIT), 28-9
VaTech, BWilliams: 11-22, 20-15, 22-11

The above overwhelmingly show, at least to me, that coaches need time to build a program. The negative crowd out there just might be wrong?

I would appreciate comments from both sides...

Wrong.

Then there are idiots like you who pretend the last two years never happened, who endlessly hype every player beyond any reasonable set of expectations, who make excuse after excuse for everything that doesn’t turn out as you’ve predicted, and criticize everyone who actually cares enough about the IU program that they want it to be elite again. Oh, and you own nothing. Ever. Nobody says Archie can’t build his program. He’ll get at least five years to do it. But you guys have settled for and celebrated mediocrity for a long time, and nobody takes you seriously as a result.

Reactions: IUgradman

Someone posted a couple months back an article and IU was outside the top 40 for wins the past 25 years. We haven't won a title in 30+ years. We have made only 2 Final Fours the past 30 years. We haven't made it past the SW16 in 17 years. We have missed The NCAA tourney the last 7 out of 11 years. Next year, the projections (from what I have read) seem to be a bubble team and a middle of the pack Big Ten Team.

Now compare that to where we were at in the late 80's early 90's. I would argue the 2nd best program in the country. It's not extreme for someone to conclude that we're a dumpster fire. You can change the wording if you like, but over the past 30 years Indiana has went from a top 3 program to not even a top 20 program.
IU fired a Hall of Fame Coach.
What do you expect?
The head coach is the program.
Alabama football with Bear Bryant - great
Alabama football after Bear Bryant - ok, good, not great
Alabama football with Nick Saban - great again.

I'm with you. Let Archie build his program. After reading your post, I took the time to research the first 3 years of records that the coaches had at the S16 programs. UNC, UK and Gonzaga achieved success right away. Here are how the other 13 coaches/teams did the first three years at the school:

The above overwhelmingly show, at least to me, that coaches need time to build a program. The negative crowd out there just might be wrong?

8 of those coaches showed significant improvement in year 2.

Then there are idiots like you who pretend the last two years never happened, who endlessly hype every player beyond any reasonable set of expectations, who make excuse after excuse for everything that doesn’t turn out as you’ve predicted, and criticize everyone who actually cares enough about the IU program that they want it to be elite again. Oh, and you own nothing. Ever. Nobody says Archie can’t build his program. He’ll get at least five years to do it. But you guys have settled for and celebrated mediocrity for a long time, and nobody takes you seriously as a result.
Archie is building a foundation.
It takes several years of recruiting a balanced roster and changing the style of play starting with un-learning bad habits taught under Crean.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
What do you expect?

I expect them to hire another elite coach. Like Kansas, Kentucky, and North Carolina did.

What do you expect?
“Good, not great” as in the 1992 undefeated National Champions under Gene Stallings? And Bear didn’t commit professional suicide like RMK. Bring some facts next time.

I expected them to go out and go nuts and pay top dollar to get someone that was already big time. Make a huge statement that losing was not going to tolerated. Iu would do whatever it takes to get back on top. Instead Iu has done what’s it done time and time again. They tried to get an up and coming coach. They just seem to be oblivious to the arms race of college athletics. Assembly hall should have been replaced as well as players should have dorms that rival Kansas and duke. Period end of discussion.

Here’s what concerns me the most about Cam. When Archie made his acceptance speech he made multiple references to his brother Sean and trying to follow in that mold. It’s pretty clear now Sean is a cheater. So how is that going to play out at a university that’s Uber conservative about the rules?

Am I horribly disappointed in archie so far? Yes I am. Archie will get 5-6 years at Iu despite how upset the fan base seems. Fred has shown a total reluctance to jump ship for performance.

I’m not saying he’s not the guy. There are just huge red flags that I can ignore. Iu won’t make the tournament next year. That much I’m sure of at this point given the pretty terrible spring recruiting.

“Good, not great” as in the 1992 undefeated National Champions under Gene Stallings? And Bear didn’t commit professional suicide like RMK. Bring some facts next time.
I agree, great for 1 season, but Stallings was more like a Mike Davis run to the title game but was not The Guy long term.

A couple quick thoughts:

The first step is you would need to figure out how many coaches end up as busts. It's easy to cherry pick the Coach K's and Izzo's, but they are the exceptions.

After that, throw out over half the list because they haven't been good enough coaches. For example Matt Painter.

I expected them to go out and go nuts and pay top dollar to get someone that was already big time. Make a huge statement that losing was not going to tolerated. Iu would do whatever it takes to get back on top. Instead Iu has done what’s it done time and time again. They tried to get an up and coming coach. They just seem to be oblivious to the arms race of college athletics. Assembly hall should have been replaced as well as players should have dorms that rival Kansas and duke. Period end of discussion.

Here’s what concerns me the most about Cam. When Archie made his acceptance speech he made multiple references to his brother Sean and trying to follow in that mold. It’s pretty clear now Sean is a cheater. So how is that going to play out at a university that’s Uber conservative about the rules?

Am I horribly disappointed in archie so far? Yes I am. Archie will get 5-6 years at Iu despite how upset the fan base seems. Fred has shown a total reluctance to jump ship for performance.

I’m not saying he’s not the guy. There are just huge red flags that I can ignore. Iu won’t make the tournament next year. That much I’m sure of at this point given the pretty terrible spring recruiting.
Put your money where your mouth is. I’ve offered a standing bet that IU will make the tournament next year. So far not a single person that has predicted IU won’t make the tournament, like you just did, has accepted it.

Terms are simple:
1. Accept the bet and let me know if you’re in for $5 or &10.
2. I’ll put your username on the list of those accepting the bet (so far there is no list).
2. After the winner is determined, we’ll work out the details for payment using Venmo.

Venmo makes it easy for those of you that wish to remain anonymous can stay so. I’d be good with exchanging names at settling time for paying with a check if desired.

Put your money where your mouth is. I’ve offered a standing bet that IU will make the tournament next year. So far not a single person that has predicted IU won’t make the tournament, like you just did, has accepted it.

Terms are simple:
2. I’ll put your username on the list of those accepting the bet (so far there is no list).
2. After the winner is determined, we’ll work out the details for payment using Venmo.

Venmo makes it easy for those of you that wish to remain anonymous can stay so. I’d be good with exchanging names at settling time for paying with a check if desired.
We bet a beer at a football game...on something...

I would LOVE to see a link to ANY post of mine that does ANY of this.

Go ahead. Let's see it.

giphy.gif

Someone posted a couple months back an article and IU was outside the top 40 for wins the past 25 years. We haven't won a title in 30+ years. We have made only 2 Final Fours the past 30 years. We haven't made it past the SW16 in 17 years. We have missed The NCAA tourney the last 7 out of 11 years. Next year, the projections (from what I have read) seem to be a bubble team and a middle of the pack Big Ten team, which seems reasonable.

"has gone"

Reactions: hondo314
I would LOVE to see a link to ANY post of mine that does ANY of this.

Go ahead. Let's see it.

giphy.gif
Post a link where I said anything in your first point. You can’t because it’s made up garbage from you, which is typical when you try to talk basketball. You, on the other hand, have done nothing but pretend that the last two years never happened, and you’ve made excuses for every shortcoming. You’re no IU fan, and you’re an idiot. Hope the wait was worth it.

Beard, Painter and Sampson(NIT), maybe Altman (NIT). Wade cheats. Who else?

CoachK, Izzo, Bennett, Pearl, Barnes, Hamilton and BWilliams would have been fired already with your timeframes.
Bruce Pearl????? What’s wrong with you? Guy won the SEC 2 of his first 3 years at UT and went to the Sweet 16 twice.

Barnes??? Look what he did at Providence, Clemson, and Texas.

Bennett was proven at WSU.

I suggest you go look at John Groce and the hundreds of guys who were unsuccessful making the jump from mid major to major college basketball. And get a clue while you’re at it.

Bruce Pearl????? What’s wrong with you? Guy won the SEC 2 of his first 3 years at UT and went to the Sweet 16 twice.

Barnes??? Look what he did at Providence, Clemson, and Texas.

Bennett was proven at WSU.

I suggest you go look at John Groce and the hundreds of guys who were unsuccessful making the jump from mid major to major college basketball. And get a clue while you’re at it.

and Archie did great at Dayton. I pointed out and stated quite clearly, that these are the first 3 years records of the coaches at their current teams that achieved the S16 in 2019. Get a clue and read the posts, even when they conflict with your agenda.

and Archie did great at Dayton. I pointed out and stated quite clearly, that these are the first 3 years records of the coaches at their current teams that achieved the S16 in 2019. Get a clue and read the posts, even when they conflict with your agenda.

So my take on most of those is that the majority of the guys on that list are on the ground and running in year 3. I think this is a very important year for Miller and the roster appears really iffy right now w.r.t. taking that big step forward you normally expect at this point.

He can do it, it just looks like a really difficult task from the outside looking in right now.

Dayton is a mid major. Those coaches are a dime a dozen. This is the big leagues now. And the statistics show 99% of coaches who start slow get fired in the big leagues.

Terms are simple:

$5 barely buys a Big Mac. $10, barely two. Raise your stakes and maybe it will be worth someone’s time to engage you.

You sound as weak as they do for not accepting. Your current stakes appear to represent just how “confident” you are the team makes the tourney too. $5-$10 is throw away change.

Make it worth their time!

Spoken like a true gambling addict...I know ;) Or just someone with a sick love for the Golden Arches.

$5 barely buys a Big Mac. $10, barely two. Raise your stakes and maybe it will be worth someone’s time to engage you.

You sound as weak as they do for not accepting. Your current stakes appear to represent just how “confident” you are the team makes the tourney too. $5-$10 is throw away change.

Spoken like a true gambling addict...I know ;) Or just someone with a sick love for the Golden Arches.
You want to go $50? I’ve offered to bet that and more and have gotten no takers. The point is the members of the Negative Nancy Whine and Troll Club don't have the courage to back up their gloomy predictions.

Seriously, this was your first post and you chose to reply to my offer to bet? You wouldn’t happen to be yet another username of the one and only poster I have on ignore, would you? If not, I apologize because he’s probably the most incredibly stupid troll I’ve ever encountered. You don’t want anyone to think you and he are the same person. That would be embarrassing for you.

That handle is awesome

Dayton is a mid major. Those coaches are a dime a dozen. This is the big leagues now. And the statistics show 99% of coaches who start slow get fired in the big leagues.
lol .........

Post a link where I said anything in your first point. You can’t because it’s made up garbage from you, which is typical when you try to talk basketball. You, on the other hand, have done nothing but pretend that the last two years never happened, and you’ve made excuses for every shortcoming. You’re no IU fan, and you’re an idiot. Hope the wait was worth it.

Shorter Pranky: "I got nothing."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT