ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Indiana

kraft cheese+macaroni

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2010
We’re getting only ONE of the state’s top 20 players for 2025. Woof.

Recruiting takes time to build relationships but woof.

Top 20 in-state prospects by On3:

1. Damien Shanklin, DE, Warren Central: Will announce Friday
  2. Mark Zackery, CB, Ben Davis: Notre Dame
  3. Mariyon Dye, DE, Elkhart Central: Tennessee
  4. Brock Schott, TE, Leo: Miami (Fla.)
  5. JonAnthony Hall, WR, Fishers: Stanford
  6. Mason Alexander, CB, Hamilton Southeastern: Pitt
  7. Tyrone Burrus, DE, Warren Central: Louisville
  8. Eugene Hilton Jr., WR, Zionsville: Wisconsin
  9. Nizyi Davis, TE, Lawrence Central: Wisconsin
  10. Cameron Gorin, OL, Hamilton Southeastern: Purdue
  11. Cameron Herron, OL, Warren Central: Iowa
  12. Lebron Hill, WR, Hammond Morton: Purdue
  13. Davion Chandler, WR, Lawrence North: Indiana
  14. Isaiah White, DL, Ben Davis: Illinois
  15. Israel Oladipupo, DE, Noblesville: Boston College
  16. Benny Patterson, DL, Castle: Cincinnati
  17. Jimmy Sullivan, QB, Carroll (Fort Wayne): Iowa
  18. Landon Brooks, DE, Delta: Purdue
  19. Jaron Thomas, RB, Concord: Purdue
  20. Enoch Atewogbola, DE, Avon: Minnesota

Allen said recruiting indiana is harder because state kids use our history against us more than national kids.

I wonder what Cignetti's response would be if asked?? Is it simply because he just got here and doesn't have connections?

It does give a bad look, no doubt about that. I do think if Indiana has a solid season and wins a bowl game, Cignetti can flip the script really quick for next year's recruiting purposes.

You also have to wonder what the impact of NIL and the transfer portal will do to Indiana's recruiting strategy. Is the transfer portal more attractive than chasing top 20 in-state kids who often are a bust?

I wonder what Cignetti's response would be if asked?? Is it simply because he just got here and doesn't have connections?

It does give a bad look, no doubt about that. I do think if Indiana has a solid season and wins a bowl game, Cignetti can flip the script really quick for next year's recruiting purposes.

You also have to wonder what the impact of NIL and the transfer portal will do to Indiana's recruiting strategy. Is the transfer portal more attractive than chasing top 20 in-state kids who often are a bust?
I’d like to keep this list somewhere and check it again in 2-3 years. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if several end up in Bloomington before they’re finished playing.

I'm with coach CIG. I don't give a rat's ass about ratings, all I care about are results.

Until we win more consistently, we will struggle bringing in the top in-state talent. We have 3 major D1 programs recruiting in a small football pool. Our HS currently has a 3 star OT who chose Kentucky over Oregon, IU, Stanford, + another 15 D1 offers. When you ask him about his visits, he indicated that you get a different vibe on each school's level of commitment to the program. West Virginia was high on his list because of how committed the school & community was to the football team. Right now, IU can only sell futures..

Looking back through the years IU usually gets about four of the top-20 in-state kids. Of course it varies a little each year.

2025 is a low, and 2023 was the only other year in the last 15 years where IU got just one of the top-20. It's hard to tell if there is a trend here and if so what the reasons are (there could be a lot) and how much it matters (we're talking just a few recruits). The FB recruiting experts may know.

Using common sense it does seem like we want to get more of the state talent than we did in '25. Cig may get asked this question and it will be interesting to hear his answer.

Until we win more consistently, we will struggle bringing in the top in-state talent. We have 3 major D1 programs recruiting in a small football pool. Our HS currently has a 3 star OT who chose Kentucky over Oregon, IU, Stanford, + another 15 D1 offers. When you ask him about his visits, he indicated that you get a different vibe on each school's level of commitment to the program. West Virginia was high on his list because of how committed the school & community was to the football team. Right now, IU can only sell futures..
Interesting data point. Thanks.

Cig, Dolson, and to some extent Pam are trying. It will be tough to change the culture of IUFB, but it’s possible. People in Indiana and the Midwest love football and going to games. Convince them IUFB is decent and not a fluke and I don’t see why interest in IUFB can’t be much higher.

He needs to be asked about his approach and strategy to recruiting the state. His approach looks like he values the transfer portal and what it offers far more than building a roster with high school kids.....

We are in a new era, recruiting dynamics have been turned on their head with NIL and the portal!!

He needs to be asked about his approach and strategy to recruiting the state. His approach looks like he values the transfer portal and what it offers far more than building a roster with high school kids.....

We are in a new era, recruiting dynamics have been turned on their head with NIL and the portal!!
I imagine it will change again once schools start paying players. Will NIL still be a big incentive or will the playing field for recruits - high school & portal - be more even.

I’d like to keep this list somewhere and check it again in 2-3 years. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if several end up in Bloomington before they’re finished playing.
At JMU, the staff recruited the East Coast primarily, Va., Florida, etc....much less than the Midwest.
They worked at establishing trusting relationships with younger kids, as Sunseri did with Julian Lewis....

As factors(NIL, branding, media exposure) equalize, these long term approaches will work to the staff's advantage..in Indiana, Ohio, Ill., and elsewhere outside their old recruiting base.

I'd be confident IU will continue to successfully work in Florida and the East to some degree.

CTA used his Florida success to bring in talent for a time...until
the name recognition began to fade.

Especially with a B1G recruiting budget I don't see any less effort recruiting the E/SE by this staff as it is too fertile to transition from. The expansion will definitely be Great Lakes B1G. I'll speculate Texas and California get more Hoosier attention too for talent producing on film.

Especially with a B1G recruiting budget I don't see any less effort recruiting the E/SE by this staff as it is too fertile to transition from. The expansion will definitely be Great Lakes B1G. I'll speculate Texas and California get more Hoosier attention too for talent producing on film.
I'm ready for preseason practice. The hell with all this conjecture.

Would generally like to get a few more Indiana kids--and I think we will in the future--but the raw number isn't a be-all, end-all type of thing. I mean--I know it's an apples-and-oranges comparison (they're more often in the running for bigger fish and their recruiting base of opportunity is nationwide)--but Notre Dame's raw number this year is also one in-state recruit. But, again, IU would generally like to get a few Indiana kids each year, and I'm confident they will. I think this is a one-off.

I am pretty sure that going forward NIL budget will trump recruiting budget.

I don't think he'll be relying on the portal as much in the coming years. The situation he was presented with this year, pretty much forced him to.

A top 20 list in this state is like #100-150 in the state of Florida. This state is lousy for football talent. There are exceptions and we have gotten some of them over the years but across the board, largely, they are mediocre players.
Don't totally agree. Every program, every season needs depth. Gotta believe even in the most down recruiting classes any of the top 6-7 in state players would be an asset for depth. Recruiting is selling and like shaving you gotta do it every day or you're a bum. Keep recruiting Indiana to have an opportunity to sell the Hoosier Brand.

Last edited:
A top 20 list in this state is like #100-150 in the state of Florida. This state is lousy for football talent. There are exceptions and we have gotten some of them over the years but across the board, largely, they are mediocre players.
Stop that. There are plenty of good players in this state. We just need to finally start getting the elite. And trust me, there are 6-9 elite players every year.

Stop that. There are plenty of good players in this state. We just need to finally start getting the elite. And trust me, there are 6-9 elite players every year.
Indiana is limited to just a few elite players and right now they have better places to play. Get IU into the top 15 in the country on a regular basis and they will come to IU.

Nonsense.
The handful of really top shelf recruits in this state are getting the hell out of Dodge or going to Notre Dame. We’ll continue to recruit the state because it’s the right thing to do. That said, the if you look at recruits ranked #10-20 in the state of Indiana and compare that to a state like Florida, there is no comparison. In the state of Florida, not a single kid in the top 70 is under 4-stars. And, the offer lists for Florida guys are off the charts.
This is why when you see a kid that is a 5.7 in Florida, they are probably a 5.8 minimum in the state of Indiana.

The handful of really top shelf recruits in this state are getting the hell out of Dodge or going to Notre Dame. We’ll continue to recruit the state because it’s the right thing to do. That said, the if you look at recruits ranked #10-20 in the state of Indiana and compare that to a state like Florida, there is no comparison. In the state of Florida, not a single kid in the top 70 is under 4-stars. And, the offer lists for Florida guys are off the charts.
This is why when you see a kid that is a 5.7 in Florida, they are probably a 5.8 minimum in the state of Indiana.
Maybe so, but until IU decides to relocate to Florida, we need to get the best we can in our area. Augment that with some of those fringe Florida dudes that the Florida schools or the SEC don’t want, and we’re all set.

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT