ADVERTISEMENT

Really Concerned About the Defense

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
- Without X, our on-ball defense is slow and soft
- Without Trayce, there's no rim protection when our perimeter defenders get beat off the dribble

No team is good without their two best players, but we looked really slow and really disorganized on the defensive end last night. Let's hope they get something figured out over the Christmas break.

Go Hoosiers!!

Reactions: Zeke7 and rocketo
IU’s defense got schooled by Kansas and AZ need to play harder on defense in away games And win from points off turnovers,

With the 2 main cogs not available I thought 55 points scored by KS was reasonable. Even with a veteran like Galloway getting burned by a 3 for giving unneeded backside help. No doubt other younger players learned lessons too. If IU had scored 79 vs. 69 their 55 probably would not draw much attention.

Well, when you’re minus your best on-ball/perimeter defender, and also your best interior defender/defensive rebounder/leading B1G shot blocker…two guys who combined have played more than 200 career games, a big step backward is inevitable.
Yep. It’s the one aspect of the game that usually takes the longest to come around. It’s a big reason why you don’t see a lot of freshman play big minutes down the stretch as the season progresses.

- Without Trayce, there's no rim protection when our perimeter defenders get beat off the dribble

No team is good without their two best players, but we looked really slow and really disorganized on the defensive end last night. Let's hope they get something figured out over the Christmas break.

Go Hoosiers!!
You answer your own?

Wut? Unless Fife broke Xs foot and hurt TJDs back your post is stupid at best,
Last I checked both those guys were healthy against Rutgers when we shat the bed there yet again.

Also, injuries are becoming pretty much an every year problem with this program. It might be time to start looking inward at the strength and conditioning program.

I just want to be clear that I'm not done with Woddy or anything, I'm just tired of the excuses for being mediocre every single year. This team has enough talent, it's time for some of the other players (outside of TJD) to step up.

Go Hoosiers!!
I think playing Gunn more would help in the defense. He does better than almost everyone staying in front of his man. He should get more minutes.

Yep. It’s the one aspect of the game that usually takes the longest to come around. It’s a big reason why you don’t see a lot of freshman play big minutes down the stretch as the season progresses.
JHS and Gunn have the potential to play great defense on the perimeter. Need them to both see the floor and step up. MR needs to play better inside

Last I checked both those guys were healthy against Rutgers when we shat the bed there yet again.

Also, injuries are becoming pretty much an every year problem with this program. It might be time to start looking inward at the strength and conditioning program.

I just want to be clear that I'm not done with Woddy or anything, I'm just tired of the excuses for being mediocre every single year. This team has enough talent, it's time for some of the other players (outside of TJD) to step up.
It's Coach Woodson

It's almost as if Fife had a major impact on their consistency on defense. It's clear this team has taken a major step back on that side of the ball.

We'll struggle to make the tournament.
I do not think anyone should expect us to win at Iowa next week they usually torch us for about 85 in Carver Hawkeye. We will likely make the tourney cause we have a couple good wins but I do not see anymore than 12 conference wins.

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
I do not think anyone should expect us to win at Iowa next week they usually torch us for about 85 in Carver Hawkeye. We will likely make the tourney cause we have a couple good wins but I do not see anymore than 12 conference wins.
we were all hoping for more than 12 wins in conference. but given our banged up, depleted roster, I think 12 wins and a good showing in both tourneys would be quite the accomplishment.

I doubt we win 12 games in conference, probably yet another below .500 conference season unfortunately.

Even Archie was able to win in Iowa City.... don't give up.. Iowa ain't that good

TJD was not healthy at Rutgers.

• Sad
This team has enough talent, it's time for some of the other players (outside of TJD) to step up.
Movement without the basketball and screening away from the ball have been almost non-existent. As long as that continues we will see fans demanding more heroes.

Movement without the basketball and screening away from the ball have been almost non-existent. As long as that continues we will see fans demanding more heroes.
Nobody is demanding players to be heroes, just some player development, mental toughness, and will to win. Three things that haven't existed in this program in a long time.

Reactions: Crayfish57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT