ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings this next week will be interesting

PUkes were clearly the better team last year and were very lucky to gain a split. One could argue, that IU was also very lucky to gain a split. However, at the end of the day IU has to feel a lot better about a split than the PUkes did last year.
True, IU should have felt a lot better about the split than Purdue. Trevion should have nightmares after Matt calls a timeout and Trevion gets free for a basket 5 feet away with nobody around and short arms it two feet short that would have finished it in regulation and then Sahsha gets knocked off course and ends up hitting the ball out of bounds giving Rob another shot at the other side. Purdue last year could have been good, but showtime became a distraction. IU played with a lot more heart last year than the previous 10 or so, and so that is a credit to the players and coaches and it all started on D

Of course I was hyped after last years MTE. Why wouldn’t Purdue fans be? But in hindsight there were red flags with that team. The senior class were woefully average and that team didn’t buy into defense. Purdue is playing a sustainable style of basketball this year. So I’ll continue to pound my chest because Purdue did something this weekend that no other team has done since UCLA in 1968.
What was that?

Beat two top 10 teams by more than 18 points in back to back games.
If I tell you that this year’s PU team is undoubtedly the best since 1968, even better than the 1976 Hoosiers, will you run along & go back to jagging each other off on GBI or will you continue to come here & thump your chest in arguments that have no end, no point, & serve no purpose other than self-indulgence?

I am curious too just what that is?
Not sure but whatever it was it
If I tell you that this year’s PU team is undoubtedly the best since 1968, even better than the 1976 Hoosiers, will you run along & go back to jagging each other off on GBI or will you continue to come here & thump your chest in arguments that have no end, no point, & serve no purpose other than self-indulgence?
embitterd obsessive little brotherism is a stinky cologne

I am almost embarrassed for them

Almost

Reactions: Crayfish57

Almost
If they do something that hasn't been done since 1976 they will have something to crow about. If not for F****** Purdue breaking Scott's arm it wouldve been two back to back and no team will ever do that again.

Only to POTFB. Get to a Final 4 and you can come back here and talk. Win a championship and we will let you sit at the grownups table during the holidays. Until then you are the ugly little brother who never gets out of big brother’s shadow.

Lol, I was talking basketball not trolling. I've enjoyed the rivalry, half my friends went to IU (some are on this board). Take another Xanax and relax a little bit bro.

Almost

I think you are falling for an intentional troll, Three Year Letterman on Twitter is the best at it. Post outlandish shyte and watch the people respond.

I think you are falling for an intentional troll, Three Year Letterman on Twitter is the best at it. Post outlandish shyte and watch the people respond.
Was actually referring to several who have decided that their celebrations are best held on IU boards. Strange

Reactions: B1G_Fan
Was actually referring to several who have decided that their celebrations are best held on IU boards. Strange
no shit, PU has one good weekend and the entire GBI free board runs here for a "hey look at us" victory lap. Yet on their own board they spend most of the time talking about IU. It's totally upside down.

You'd think they would have learned last year....rankings in Dec mean far less than getting run off for the season in March by a mid major while your lotto pick is getting outplayed by a little moustachio'd hobbit.

no shit, PU has one good weekend and the entire GBI free board runs here for a "hey look at us" victory lap. Yet on their own board they spend most of the time talking about IU. It's totally upside down.

You'd think they would have learned last year....rankings in Dec mean far less than getting run off for the season in March by a mid major while your lotto pick is getting outplayed by a little moustachio'd hobbit.
Well, over the years the only thing PU fans have had to crow about is regular season accomplishments because there's been nothing to tout on the national/tournament stage.

Credit to them. I really hoped we'd find a way to get Braden Smith in candy stripes because he sounded like the stereotypical hard-nosed Hoosier, but I thought counting on a freshman PG was a recipe for disaster and he/they are making it work! I do agree that if I were playing them, I'd have XJ or whoever he's guarding go at him early and often because I think they'll struggle with him out of the game.

Well, over the years the only thing PU fans have had to crow about is regular season accomplishments because there's been nothing to tout on the national/tournament stage.

Credit to them. I really hoped we'd find a way to get Braden Smith in candy stripes because he sounded like the stereotypical hard-nosed Hoosier, but I thought counting on a freshman PG was a recipe for disaster and he/they are making it work! I do agree that if I were playing them, I'd have XJ or whoever he's guarding go at him early and often because I think they'll struggle with him out of the game.
with the squad IU has this year, do you really think Smith would see the court? He fell into good luck, Purdue needed a PG badly this year. I think he would have pulled a Coverdale this season at IU and watched his entire frosh yr from the bench.

With X and JHS this year, and then Cupps next year, I can see how Smith wasn't ever made a priority for our staff.

Reactions: kkott
with the squad IU has this year, do you really think Smith would see the court? He fell into good luck, Purdue needed a PG badly this year. I think he would have pulled a Coverdale this season at IU and watched his entire frosh yr from the bench.
I still think it’s funny how they think it’s defense that won that duke game. Duke can’t shoot even unguarded. They might be the most overrated in the top 25. It will be interesting when Purdue has to contend with a high pick n role further out.

That's a good question...I'd say he'd probably play a fair bit, assuming Woody values the stuff he brings at any similar level to what Painter does. But he wouldn't start, and wouldn't play nearly as much as he does for Purdue. He would have provided quite a lot of flexibility though. Smith, X, and JHS would be a very, very dynamic backcourt. And they'd compliment each other very well.

That's a good question...I'd say he'd probably play a fair bit, assuming Woody values the stuff he brings at any similar level to what Painter does. But he wouldn't start, and wouldn't play nearly as much as he does for Purdue. He would have provided quite a lot of flexibility though. Smith, X, and JHS would be a very, very dynamic backcourt. And they'd compliment each other very well.
Painter's foil is Smith's gain...remember they were trying to get that PG transfer (Pack?) who ended up getting bought out by the NIL money (and a Mercedes) at the U.

Painter's foil is Smith's gain...remember they were trying to get that PG transfer (Pack?) who ended up getting bought out by the NIL money (and a Mercedes) at the U.
Smith is a better fit. Pack is not a point guard at least not a true dish/facilitator type point. He’s averaging 2.4 assists. Miami got killed by Maryland too.

No chance that kid will guard X. They can’t be that stupid can they? He will man handle that little boy.
I’m sure XJ will guard him though. You could put any 4 of JHS, XJ, X or Galloway on their backcourt. No way those guys burn them. You think a high screen with lurch can handle the foot speed?

No chance that kid will guard X. They can’t be that stupid can they? He will man handle that little boy.
That has to be the biggest question mark for them heading into B10 season. Our guards should be able to manhandle their guards...the question is what do our guards do with that physical advantage? Are they driving into Edey? Able to finish with him in there? Are they shooting mid range shots (JHS). Are they kicking out to guys like Kopp? Creating good opportunites for TJD?

The good thing is X and JHS should be able to move around and do whatever they want against Smith and Loyer...what they, and the rest of our guys are able to do after that will obviously determine how much success we have.

He will have to guard X. They have no one else to put on him.
In the games I've watched, they've done a decent job of protecting Smith. He reminds me of a gnat defensively. Bounces around a lot, gives a lot of room, then shoots in and pressures, then backs off and gives room. He definitely gets beat a lot off the dribble because of it.

X will have his way with any 1 on 1 matchup with Smith, obviously. The key will be what he's able to do once he beats Smith. Purdue has been pretty good covering up for him thus far.

If they do something that hasn't been done since 1976 they will have something to crow about. If not for F****** Purdue breaking Scott's arm it wouldve been two back to back and no team will ever do that again.
Two points:
1. You have no idea what would have happened if Scott did not break his arm. Your conclusion is a pure hypothetical. Also, Purdue did not break his arm. He was injured in a play. Was a technical foul was called on the play? If not, then it was an unfortunate injury that occurred during a game. A prime example that is similar was Hummel's knee injury at Minnesota. It clearly hurt the team but cannot be blamed on Minnesota.
2. There were back to back championships. U of Florida won NCAA championships in 2005-06 and repeated the next year.

I’m sure XJ will guard him though. You could put any 4 of JHS, XJ, X or Galloway on their backcourt. No way those guys burn them. You think a high screen with lurch can handle the foot speed?
Edey will be in drop coverage and will let take IU take jump shots all day. He’s not going to hedge in ball screens.

Edey will be in drop coverage and will let take IU take jump shots all day. He’s not going to hedge in ball screens.
You mean you hope he won’t. IUs mid range game is night and day different from last year. Will be a great match up.

Two points:
1. You have no idea what would have happened if Scott did not break his arm. Your conclusion is a pure hypothetical. Also, Purdue did not break his arm. He was injured in a play. Was a technical foul was called on the play? If not, then it was an unfortunate injury that occurred during a game. A prime example that is similar was Hummel's knee injury at Minnesota. It clearly hurt the team but cannot be blamed on Minnesota.
2. There were back to back championships. U of Florida won NCAA championships in 2005-06 and repeated the next year.
I'm sure he meant back-to-back, undefeated seasons.

Reactions: Crayfish57
That has to be the biggest question mark for them heading into B10 season. Our guards should be able to manhandle their guards...the question is what do our guards do with that physical advantage? Are they driving into Edey? Able to finish with him in there? Are they shooting mid range shots (JHS). Are they kicking out to guys like Kopp? Creating good opportunites for TJD?

The good thing is X and JHS should be able to move around and do whatever they want against Smith and Loyer...what they, and the rest of our guys are able to do after that will obviously determine how much success we have.
I might add.. will they bring Edey out of the paint on ball screens? IU will most certainly bring TJD to screen so what will painter do?

Two points:
3 points

1 I am 99% sure as they were better that yr. than 76

2 You have no idea WTF you are even talking about, did Florida go back to back undefeated? No so STF

3 Go back to the Purdue board and spew your drivel.

You just beat a legacy team that clearly was living off name but going into the PUke game they shot 44% from 2, 33% from 3 and 59% from the line. They barely score 70 points. Those wins will count but it’s not like they are playing at top 25 level. They also have no top 25 wins. I wouldn’t be crowning Purdue just yet.
They just beat teams ranked 6th and 8th!

3 points

2 You have no idea WTF you are even talking about, did Florida go back to back undefeated? No so STF

The 74-75 team was better (in my opinion) than the 75-76 team. The 74-75 team was the 75-76 team, but with Steve Green and super sub Laz. They were dominant and deep.

I might add.. will they bring Edey out of the paint on ball screens? IU will most certainly bring TJD to screen so what will painter do?
I doubt they will...he's usually sucked back protecting the paint. We've had some success against him/them attacking those open areas off ball screens, then throwing lobs to TJD/Race when Edey steps over to help closer to the rim.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
3 points

If you do not express yourself clearly, that is on you. Your post did not make the distinction that you are now trying to make. I do not and cannot read minds.

The other point is that your statement is hypothetical. You can believe whatever you like but that does not make it true. Nobody knows what would have happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT