ADVERTISEMENT

Rankings this next week will be interesting

They just beat teams ranked 6th and 8th!
Lol. Duke never looked(or played)8th worthy. Not even close. The Gonzaga win was the impressive one but they aren’t top ten either. Duke can’t shoot and the zags can’t defend.

If you do not express yourself clearly, that is on you. Your post did not make the distinction that you are now trying to make. I do not and cannot read minds.

The other point is that your statement is hypothetical. You can believe whatever you like but that does not make it true. Nobody knows what would have happened.
Please go back to that thing you call the free Purdue board. I can’t(like many) take the 50 paragraph of nonsensical posts.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Lol. Duke never looked(or played)8th worthy. Not even close. The Gonzaga win was the impressive one but they aren’t top ten either. Duke can’t shoot and the zags can’t defend.
Duke's best win to date is Xavier on a neutral court. Which is funny because according to all Purdue fans Xavier isn't any good this year and why IU is overrated.

If you do not express yourself clearly, that is on you. Your post did not make the distinction that you are now trying to make. I do not and cannot read minds.

The other point is that your statement is hypothetical. You can believe whatever you like but that does not make it true. Nobody knows what would have happened.
You are 100% right, thinking a Purdue poster has enough intelligence to actually think was a mistake on my part. Is that clear enough for you?

I find a Purdue poster here discussing hypothetical things about basketball hilarious.

Maybe that demonstrates that the recruiting class ranking is not the “be all end all.” I think Duke had the #1 class and some of these guys won’t stick around in college very long. There’s still merit to a cohesive team, that plays hard, and with good chemistry.

Last edited:
Maybe that demonstrates that the recruiting class ranking is not the “be all end all.” I think Duke had the #1 class and some of these guys won’t stick around in college very long. There’s still merit to a cohesive team, that plays hard, and with good chemistry.
That is true but Duke is not Duke of years past. At least not yet. Lots of basketball to be played.

Interesting that people here are downplaying our duke win, while simultaneously propping up your win over xavier(a team that duke throttled).
The key takeaway here, John Boy, is you shouldn't elevate your team by beating a team that is clearly a work in progress, with a newbie coach. Some of us did the same a long time ago in a early season tournament in NYC. Duke was highly ranked and we beat them handily. The season didn't end very well for us. Live and learn little bro.

Inflated stats against little sisters of the poor. I’d like to see that trend continue vs. high major competition.
If stats are inflated by weak competition, then why is your worst shooting performance of the year against Austin Peay? I mean NC State beat that team by 49 a few days before they played you.

with the squad IU has this year, do you really think Smith would see the court? He fell into good luck, Purdue needed a PG badly this year. I think he would have pulled a Coverdale this season at IU and watched his entire frosh yr from the bench.
I doubt he would have played, and likely wouldn't have at PU if they'd had any other alternatives at PG. But, yes, I'd love to have a 3rd PG on the roster this year and he'd have been great and that would have probably suited him at either school. I would think when he was signed he probably assumed one of their current PGs would return or they'd sign a higher rated or transfer portal PG. I'm sure in his mind he believed he could be the starter as a freshman but I bet even he was surprised there wasn't more competition for the spot.

I am curious too just what that is?
It is nothing more than what it was, and predicts nothing. I'm fully aware that the metrics changed would show different answers. That said, I "think" this was the reference and only providing since you and Court asked...

https://twitter.com/carmin_jc
[URL='https://twitter.com/BoilerBall']Purdue Men's Basketball Retweeted[/URL]

mike carmin
@carmin_jc
Nov 27

A couple notes from
@BoilerBall
• Purdue became the 2nd team and 1st since 1968 UCLA to win back-to-back neutral-site games by 18 or more points vs top-10 teams • 1st time in school history that Purdue has defeated top 10-ranked non-conference teams in back-to-back game.

If stats are inflated by weak competition, then why is your worst shooting performance of the year against Austin Peay? I mean NC State beat that team by 49 a few days before they played you.
I never claimed we were some great shooting team. I’m just telling you that Edey is going to be in drop coverage vs. an OK shooting team like IU. If Xavier Johnson beats you by taking 15+ jumpers then so be it.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
I doubt he would have played, and likely wouldn't have at PU if they'd had any other alternatives at PG. But, yes, I'd love to have a 3rd PG on the roster this year and he'd have been great and that would have probably suited him at either school. I would think when he was signed he probably assumed one of their current PGs would return or they'd sign a higher rated or transfer portal PG. I'm sure in his mind he believed he could be the starter as a freshman but I bet even he was surprised there wasn't more competition for the spot.
Who knows what would happen? 1) He would have been "okay" learning from an older player to get acclimated. 2) Any possibility "some" portal guards didn't come to Purdue, since he was going to Purdue? 3)A previous NBA asst thought Purdue was a great fit for him. 4) one game is only one game, but he was matched up with Rob in the cincy secret game, and I know how he fared. He very well might have been the third guard (not sure who is after X...bates??? ) at IU and if so, then Purdue was obviously more cemented as a good choice for Braden. The Big is where it will get interesting.

Who knows what would happen? 1) He would have been "okay" learning from an older player to get acclimated. 2) Any possibility "some" portal guards didn't come to Purdue, since he was going to Purdue? 3)A previous NBA asst thought Purdue was a great fit for him. 4) one game is only one game, but he was matched up with Rob in the cincy secret game, and I know how he fared. He very well might have been the third guard (not sure who is after X...bates??? ) at IU and if so, then Purdue was obviously more cemented as a good choice for Braden. The Big is where it will get interesting.
Is it possible some portal guards didn't go to Purdue because you got Braden Smith? Absolutely it is... in your minds! He's overachieved and sounds like is doing great, and I've said all along, I'd have loved to see him at IU if it could've worked out, but I understand why it didn't and am not sweating it. We have an experienced senior guard who is playing like a first team all conference guy at the moment and a highly rated 5 star guy who is 6'6" (that's the kind of recruit guys steer clear of because of fears of PT), and a similarly sized and skilled guard in Gabe Cupps next year. But, no, no one feared PT because Braden Smith had committed anywhere. Can't you just accept he's been a terrific and pleasant surprise? I started hearing he was raising eyebrows this summer, but I think that's the soonest anyone mightve had an inkling he could be your starting PG, and again, that's primarily because you had no one else on the roster. If MP had signed someone or already had a good returning PG I think he'd have started the season with them and made BS earn his minutes because no one really wants to start a freshman PG if they don't have to.

Hood-Schifino is our other PG and starts and plays interchangeably with XJ.

Have you gotten into it with loyer or Branden's parents?

Cannot believe he let you stay here trolling

Is it possible some portal guards didn't go to Purdue because you got Braden Smith? Absolutely it is... in your minds! He's overachieved and sounds like is doing great, and I've said all along, I'd have loved to see him at IU if it could've worked out, but I understand why it didn't and am not sweating it. We have an experienced senior guard who is playing like a first team all conference guy at the moment and a highly rated 5 star guy who is 6'6" (that's the kind of recruit guys steer clear of because of fears of PT), and a similarly sized and skilled guard in Gabe Cupps next year. But, no, no one feared PT because Braden Smith had committed anywhere. Can't you just accept he's been a terrific and pleasant surprise? I started hearing he was raising eyebrows this summer, but I think that's the soonest anyone mightve had an inkling he could be your starting PG, and again, that's primarily because you had no one else on the roster. If MP had signed someone or already had a good returning PG I think he'd have started the season with them and made BS earn his minutes because no one really wants to start a freshman PG if they don't have to.

There is a long list of Indiana HS players that wanted to play for IU that ended up being a pain in our asses. Will this guy Braden be the next??

no shit, PU has one good weekend and the entire GBI free board runs here for a "hey look at us" victory lap. Yet on their own board they spend most of the time talking about IU. It's totally upside down.

You'd think they would have learned last year....rankings in Dec mean far less than getting run off for the season in March by a mid major while your lotto pick is getting outplayed by a little moustachio'd hobbit.
They have so few opportunities to crow about anything, they make the most of the ones they have,

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
3 points

1 I am 99% sure as they were better that yr. than 76

2 You have no idea WTF you are even talking about, did Florida go back to back undefeated? No so STF

3 Go back to the Purdue board and spew your drivel.
Knight felt they were and he might know more than a few PUketrolls

• Love
Reactions: Crayfish57
Interesting that people here are downplaying our duke win, while simultaneously propping up your win over xavier(a team that duke throttled).
Not sure Duke throttled Xavier, as it was close all game and ended up a 7 pt win. But, no one should take anything away from PU for beating Gonzaga or Duke; two great pre-con wins. You can only play (and beat!) who's on your schedule. I just don't know why all you PU guys feel the need to run over here to crow about it!

Reactions: jet812
You seem to reply a lot which shows otherwise.
There’s a lot of that here.

There are tons of these lengthy PU threads here. Always, the same 4 or so posters are going back and forth with the PU fans. If those 4 posters are who they present themselves as, they are totally obsessed with PU, Painter, PU fans and the PU fan forum.
at some point, can this turn back into an IU board? Too much Fn Purdue talk.
One good weekend and this place turns into GBI south.

Just be patient until March, when the "Fire CMP" crowd awakens from hibernation again.
Unfortunately the sword cuts both ways. Look at any of the lengthy threads and it’s the same old people. It’s just as much the fault of people that post pro PU stuff as those that post anti pU stuff.

In other words, look at any thread that is multiple pages long talking about PU. The bulk of this posts are from a very small number of people obsessed with PU (some post as PU haters/IU fans and they are just as guilty of prolonging the agony )

Can't disagree with a lot of that. I saw enough last March to know he was really good...not so much in any metric, but in his IQ, court savvy, vision and passing...shooting. True, most coaches with freshmen PGs don't want to put that much pressure on them by depending on them. It would have been nice for Braden to shared some minutes. He is a freshman and will have some ups and downs no doubt, but all the Purdue people that were so worried about the PG spot seem to be happy at this time. Some people and the TV commentators mentioned Craft as a comparison, but I don't think that is the best. I offered Skiles long before Matt was asked and mentioned Skiles. I'm not suggesting simlar success, although that woud be great, just that his mental toughness is similar and part of the reason why as a freshman he has done so well. Like you said...he was needed at Purdue and it has worked out well for him and Purdue...

Reactions: kkott
PU's results last year are devastating. They hung onto Painter for 18-19 years, and that was his best team and shot to do anything meaningful. Players like Ivey come around about every 25-30 years for PU. What happened? They split with IU, didn't win the BT or BTT, and s*** the bed in the NCAA's like they always do against the mid-major Peacocks. The Peacocks are the first 15 seed to ever reach the Sweet 16! PU made history for the wrong reasons and had an epic fail even by their standards.

There should be absolutely no hope left that Painter will ever do anything meaningful at a national level: as Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are. It has been 18-19 years.

As for IU? Our first year coach split the series, PU lost their generational player in Ivey, and there has been a series reset. You're damn right IU should be feeling a lot better about last year than PU.

If only we had Painter’s success those last 18 years. I don’t understand how a huge piece of our fanbase is so critical of Painter when we’ve failed to match his success in West Lafayette.

He’s a good coach who does it the right way. College basketball needs more Matt Painters. I just wish their was more respect from the Indiana faithful. He clearly respects coach Woodson and the Indiana program.

Reactions: kkott and steelyvan
If only we had Painter’s success those last 18 years. I don’t understand how a huge piece of our fanbase is so critical of Painter when we’ve failed to match his success in West Lafayette.

He’s a good coach who does it the right way. College basketball needs more Matt Painters. I just wish their was more respect from the Indiana faithful. He clearly respects coach Woodson and the Indiana program.
Which means that you really don’t get it.
Let’s talk painter AFTER he’s not a rival. The Devil will imitate you to gain access, it makes YOU feel better.

I remember last week when an occasional PU troll showed up here instead of the current onslaught of desperate validation seekers & November National Champ chest thumpers from GBI,,,,
Somebody said GBI moved to a pay only model and then they won November. Perfect storm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT