ADVERTISEMENT

Ramsey and Penix

It's not ridiculous at all. Penn State dropped back more with Penix in there. I don't think it's ridiculous to think MSU would have done the same.A

Are you saying a QB doesn't make a difference in how a Defense is set up? That's about about the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while.

If a receiver goes deep with Ramsey at QB, they can run more man coverage because Ramsey wasn't even attempting long throws.
If they run more man coverage then you take your 4 wideouts and just run the dbs off they will have their backs turned to the ball carrier.
Chances are you will see more cover3 which allows for a heavier box as you can drop a safety down into an eight man front.

Last edited:
If they run more man coverage then you take your 4 wideouts and just run the dbs off they will have their backs turned to the ball carrier.
Chances are you will see more cover3 which allows for a heavier box as you can drop a safety down into an eight man front.
And 8 man front when you're dropping a safety down..... and cover 4 receivers.

Good luck with that.

Not sure what is hard to understand about an 8 man front vs run teams.
It's not, except we were talking about stretching the field with a stronger arm at QB. You said they would just cover the 4 receivers and trust the front 4 (I think that was you who said it). Then you talked about dropping a safety for an 8 man front.

Maybe we're talking past each other. I'm just not following you. But I believe it was your contention that a different QB wouldn't have made a difference. We'll just agree to disagree, I guess.

Reactions: Lillyr66
It's not, except we were talking about stretching the field with a stronger arm at QB. You said they would just cover the 4 receivers and trust the front 4 (I think that was you who said it). Then you talked about dropping a safety for an 8 man front.

Maybe we're talking past each other. I'm just not following you. But I believe it was your contention that a different QB wouldn't have made a difference. We'll just agree to disagree, I guess.
When a team plays man you would just run the defenders off as I said before. When I say cover3 and they drop a safety down in the box he will still have pass coverage responsibilities he will have the flats but their eyes can be in the backfield longer.

When a team plays man you would just run the defenders off as I said before. When I say cover3 and they drop a safety down in the box he will still have pass coverage responsibilities he will have the flats but their eyes can be in the backfield longer.
If I'm facing a good passer, I'm not going to drop the Safety down - no way. Too easy for a WR to get past them and go for 6.

I might if the passer is only going to be throwing dink passes most of the game.

If I'm facing a good passer, I'm not going to drop the Safety down - no way. Too easy for a WR to get past them and go for 6.

I might if the passer is only going to be throwing dink passes most of the game.
You originally said people would play man against against a run team I said they would just run them off. Against a ruining attack you would walk a safety down to have 8 man front. Against a good passing attack you would play a quarters coverage or cover 2 and possibly man under.

You originally said people would play man against against a run team I said they would just run them off. Against a ruining attack you would walk a safety down to have 8 man front. Against a good passing attack you would play a quarters coverage or cover 2 and possibly man under.
I said if they didn't respect our passing game, they would play man coverage. With Penix in there, they would have to respect our passing game and double team or play a zone type defense.

I agree, against a running attack, you would drop the Safety down. But that's a huge unknown with a strong passer in there. So, our running game would have improved with a Safety playing more honestly.

When I first responded in the thread, it was about bringing Penix in against MSU - the argument against being if Ramsey was getting killed, Penix would be worse. I disagreed, for various reasons, which is how the subject got on this. I'm just of the opinion that, if something isn't working, you don't keep doing the same thing.

I said if they didn't respect our passing game, they would play man coverage. With Penix in there, they would have to respect our passing game and double team or play a zone type defense.

I agree, against a running attack, you would drop the Safety down. But that's a huge unknown with a strong passer in there. So, our running game would have improved with a Safety playing more honestly.

When I first responded in the thread, it was about bringing Penix in against MSU - the argument against being if Ramsey was getting killed, Penix would be worse. I disagreed, for various reasons, which is how the subject got on this. I'm just of the opinion that, if something isn't working, you don't keep doing the same thing.
The thing is Ramsey is a solid passer. So they do have to respect the pass game . It has been stated that the defense plays tighter to lols and point is it is not the qb that determines cushions it is the receiver that determines how big a cushion. The dB does not want a receiver running by them even if the q.v. may not have a strong arm. You still have to cover the receiver.

The thing is Ramsey is a solid passer. So they do have to respect the pass game . It has been stated that the defense plays tighter to lols and point is it is not the qb that determines cushions it is the receiver that determines how big a cushion. The dB does not want a receiver running by them even if the q.v. may not have a strong arm. You still have to cover the receiver.
I may be prejudiced, but I think we have the deepest receiving corps in the Big Ten. We may not have the top receivers, but what we have are solid players, any of whom can have a breakout game at any time.

I think the QB determines the type of coverage the Defense calls.

Reactions: Lillyr66
I may be prejudiced, but I think we have the deepest receiving corps in the Big Ten. We may not have the top receivers, but what we have are solid players, any of whom can have a breakout game at any time.

It is just part of it. The receivers have a lot to do with it. As does offensive scheme, tendencies down and distance. I think people tend over simplify.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT