ADVERTISEMENT

Racist talk.

Rockport Zebra

All-American
Jan 30, 2002
I am perplexed. I know few who have these sentiments and they keep their opinions to themselves. They don't have the numbers to swing a precinct. How in the world is it good politics to be a racist? Is it good politics to claim racism at every turn? On CNN today the theme is anyone who is silent is racist. Dear god.

I am perplexed. I know few who have these sentiments and they keep their opinions to themselves. They don't have the numbers to swing a precinct. How in the world is it good politics to be a racist? Is it good politics to claim racism at every turn? On CNN today the theme is anyone who is silent is racist. Dear god.
I've been told more than once on this board that I am racist based on who I voted for. Never thought we would get to that point, but that is where we are.

Reactions: Lucy01
I am perplexed. I know few who have these sentiments and they keep their opinions to themselves. They don't have the numbers to swing a precinct. How in the world is it good politics to be a racist?
Good question. Charles Blow answers your question quite simply just today:

Racism is simply the belief that race is an inherent and determining factor in a person’s or a people’s character and capabilities, rendering some inferior and others superior. These beliefs are racial prejudices.

The history of America is one in which white people used racism and white supremacy to develop a racial caste system that advantaged them and disadvantaged others.

So the ulterior motive of the racism is power, but here's the key clue how it works in modern politics:

Racism doesn’t require hatred, constant expression, or even conscious awareness.
The racism is already built into our system and the racist politics of today are manifested in conservatism striving to maintain that systemic racism, that is, making sure those in power stay there. I, a white male, without any doubt have taken advantage of it throughout my life. The difference between me and the racist (by the above definition) conservatives here is that I advocate ending that power differential and creating a fair game for all.

Racism is simply the belief that race is an inherent and determining factor in a person’s or a people’s character and capabilities, rendering some inferior and others superior. These beliefs are racial prejudices.

The history of America is one in which white people used racism and white supremacy to develop a racial caste system that advantaged them and disadvantaged others.

So the ulterior motive of the racism is power, but here's the key clue how it works in modern politics:

Racism doesn’t require hatred, constant expression, or even conscious awareness.
The racism is already built into our system and the racist politics of today are manifested in conservatism striving to maintain that systemic racism, that is, making sure those in power stay there. I, a white male, without any doubt have taken advantage of it throughout my life. The difference between me and the racist (by the above definition) conservatives here is that I advocate ending that power differential and creating a fair game for all.
Now who’s the ideologue? Where is your proof of systemic racism vs individual racist acts?

What exactly are you advocating to ease your white guilt by “ending that power differential and creating a fair game for all?”

Where is your proof of systemic racism vs individual racist acts?
We elected a racist President on a racist platform who is endeavoring to pass, and is passing racist policies. If that ain't systemic racism what is?

We elected a racist President on a racist platform who is endeavoring to pass, and is passing racist policies. If that ain't systemic racism what is?

One thing I've discovered recently is that people don't really care what's happening to others as long as it doesn't affect them on a personal level. This board is a reflection of many who are happy to keep chugging along as long as they receive their stock market gains.

Reactions: Zizkov
I've been told more than once on this board that I am racist based on who I voted for. Never thought we would get to that point, but that is where we are.
I never thought we'd have a racist president either again. Guess we were both wrong.

Except for the abolitionists. You say he answers the question of race quite simply. That stat

Answers the question simply today. Well why didn't he just cure the problem simply?

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
I don't think you are racist if you are silent, but I think you are a coward. ( not you personally, in general)

I don't believe that the American people elected a racist platform.
I'm not sure about a racist platform, but they certainly elected a racist president. All the evidences already there, and it's just grown stronger since then. He certainly isn't doing anything to try to change that perception. In fact, he seems proud of it, hence his bragging about his shithole comments behind closed doors. He knows it plays well with his base.

I'm not sure about a racist platform, but they certainly elected a racist president. All the evidences already there, and it's just grown stronger since then. He certainly isn't doing anything to try to change that perception. In fact, he seems proud of it, hence his bragging about his shithole comments behind closed doors. He knows it plays well with his base.
Who says. I claim that it is bad politics. How can bad politics play to his base. How many racists are there in each precinct nation wide?

I have a friend who posted today, "why did they kill Dr King?" "They", I take exception with, they means white people, divisive politics. I mourned the loss but today I am 'they" because of my color.

I don't believe that the American people elected a racist platform.
Trump ran on a platform of ending immigration from Muslim countries and from Mexico...the motivation for that was pretty much the same racist crap he said last week...then he attempted to implement that policy right at the get go...now he is back at it again.

I have a friend who posted today, "why did they kill Dr King?" "They", I take exception with, they means white people, divisive politics. I mourned the loss but today I am 'they" because of my color.
The FBI was actively running ops against Dr. King...they wanted him to kill himself. Do you think your friend meant that "white people" killed Dr. King or is that your interpretation? "White people" are no more responsible for Dr. King's death than all Muslims are responsible for ISIS or all Jews responsible for the death of Jesus. All such libels are grotesque. But what did contribute to King's murder was culture that turned a blind eye to individual and systemic racism. Dr. King talked about that in his famous letter from Birmingham Jail...you might read it.

The FBI was actively running ops against Dr. King...they wanted him to kill himself. Do you think your friend meant that "white people" killed Dr. King or is that your interpretation? "White people" are no more responsible for Dr. King's death than all Muslims are responsible for ISIS or all Jews responsible for the death of Jesus. All such libels are grotesque. But what did contribute to King's murder was culture that turned a blind eye to individual and systemic racism. Dr. King talked about that in his famous letter from Birmingham Jail...you might read it.
Letter from the Birmingham Jail should be placed in the cannon next to Paul's letters. Did I read it! They today means white people. It is good politics.

Last edited:
Letter from the Birmingham Jail should be placed in the cannon next to Paul's letters. Did I read it? They today means white people. It is good politics.
I think that's your interpretation. It certainly isn't mine.

Letter from the Birmingham Jail should be placed in the cannon next to Paul's letters. Did I read it? They today means white people. It is good politics.
Well, perhaps that is a misunderstanding on your part. The only good politics in such a sentiment is the politics of white racial resentment. .

Well, perhaps that is a misunderstanding on your part. The only good politics in such a sentiment is the politics of white racial resentment. .
Maybe you misunderstand. I refused to be thrown into the cesspool due to my color. Of course I have read the Letter from the Birmingham Jail. 'White racial resentment" is a political minority position to "white guilt".

I think a fellow minority once defined racism to me as someone with racial prejudice and who acts on it. Otherwise, it's just vanilla prejudice. It's not a privileged academic discussion for us but that or survival instincts -- and it's emotional since it represents what unfair about like and your own vulnerability (since if they come at you, they arent usually alone.)

Most of you here hate to be labelled a racist for social stigma, moral ground etc. The problem is that most of you have not lived in environments as a racial minority and will find it difficult to detect the nuances related to racial prejudices. It's just a pedantic discussion over semantics or labelling.

Like women's sexist harassment situations (unless you are a Weinstein or Trump), racial prejudices are felt and not really discussed. Its an emotional flight/fright situation where suddenly your survival instincts kick in telling you, 'danger! danger!' due to the tone of your skin.

You develop this 'survival' instincts over the years, after being called racist swearwords as the other person's first instinctive response to an unpleasant situation; stared at, ready for a beat down for no other reason other than being there or on the same side of the pavement.

If you accept the fact that this 'instinct' has been a learnt behaviour, then you have to accept that the environment that one grows up in help develop this instinct.

If that's the case, is it a cultural structure, legal, social -- or just plain institutionalisation since most people who build the institutions, are like you and have never lived in an environment that puts them in a position where they are a small racial minority? You won't see it the same way racial minorities feel or see it nor have the luxury of this discussion.

Thus, the importance of empathy (developed through shared experiences) and/or the intellectual ability to walk in someone else's shoes.

Last edited:
I think a fellow minority group once defined racism to me as someone with racial prejudice and who acts on it. Otherwise, it's just vanilla prejudice. It's not a privileged academic discussion for us but that or survival instincts -- and it's emotional.

Most of you here hate to be labelled a racist for social stigma, moral ground etc. The problem is that most of you have not lived in environments as a racial minority and will find it difficult to detect the nuances related to racial prejudices. It's just a pedantic discussion over semantics or labelling.

Like women's sexist harassment situations (unless you are a Weinstein or Trump), racial prejudices are felt and not really discussed. Its an emotional flight/fright situation where suddenly your survival instincts kick in telling you, 'danger! danger!' due to the tone of your skin.

You develop this 'survival' instincts over the years, after being called racist swearwords as the other person's first instinctive response to an unpleasant situation; stared at, ready for a beat down for no other reason other than being there or on the same side of the pavement.

If you accept the fact that this 'instinct' has been a learnt behaviour, then you have to accept that the environment that one grows up in help develop this instinct.

If that's the case, is it a cultural structure, legal, social -- or just plain institutionalisation since most people who build the institutions, are like you and have never lived in an environment that puts them in a position where they are a small racial minority? You won't see it the same way racial minorities feel or see it nor have the luxury of this discussion.

Thus, the importance of empathy (developed through shared experiences) and/or the intellectual ability to walk in someone else's shoes.
Good post. I don't know about Foster or Teeter Quads but in the 1/ 327th 1st BDE 101st. Most of us lived together and were great friends. Empathy is a very good virtue.

I don't think you are racist if you are silent, but I think you are a coward. ( not you personally, in general)

No one will remember what someone posted on here. You don't get a button for opposing Trump on here or social media. The real cowards are those in a position of power who do not use that power to protest Trump's policies/behavior. I'm talking about members of Congress, Supreme Court Justices, Members of Cabinet. I don't really care what a cooler poster writes. I do care that those in power are complicit.

No one will remember what someone posted on here. You don't get a button for opposing Trump on here or social media. The real cowards are those in a position of power who do not use that power to protest Trump's policies/behavior. I'm talking about members of Congress, Supreme Court Justices, Members of Cabinet. I don't really care what a cooler poster writes. I do care that those in power are complicit.
Shouldn’t you be in class now? So your tuition money is not wasted.

I'm not asking for a medal. I care about people in power but I care just as much about people in the regular world. I've been talking about the rise in hate crimes in the last year. Just two days ago a high school kid was parading around Noblesville with a Nazi flag. Racism should be called out everywhere it is seen , from every level. From a message board, to someone that tells a racist joke in your presence, to people in public office.

What exactly are you advocating to ease your white guilt by “ending that power differential and creating a fair game for all?”
Let me guess, you actually don't realize how ignorant your hackneyed use of "white guilt" makes you look? Amiright?

I'm not asking for a medal. I care about people in power but I care just as much about people in the regular world. I've been talking about the rise in hate crimes in the last year. Just two days ago a high school kid was parading around Noblesville with a Nazi flag. Racism should be called out everywhere it is seen , from every level. From a message board, to someone that tells a racist joke in your presence, to people in public office.

Ironically the children and grandchildren of brave people who died fighting Nazis have elected a man who called neo Nazis “very fine people”.

Reactions: iuwclurker1
Let me guess, you actually don't realize how ignorant your hackneyed use of "white guilt" makes you look? Amiright?
Of course not, I used it intentionally and correctly as I was referring to yours. However, the question was what you’re advocating for “ending that power differential and creating a fair game for all?” You might have some good ideas, so I asked.

Of course not, I used it intentionally and correctly as I was referring to yours. However, the question was what you’re advocating for “ending that power differential and creating a fair game for all?” You might have some good ideas, so I asked.
There's nothing correct about it and your thinking so is profoundly ignorant. It's an ignorant talking point for those who haven't thought it through. Get it?

If you really wanted to know my thoughts, you wouldn't have gone down that path. Own it.

There's nothing correct about it and your thinking so is profoundly ignorant. It's an ignorant talking point for those who haven't thought it through. Get it?

If you really wanted to know my thoughts, you wouldn't have gone down that path. Own it.
LOL! You are quite the snowflake getting all hissy about such a minor thing.

You don’t want to answer the question - fine with me.

LOL! You are quite the snowflake getting all hissy about such a minor thing.

You don’t want to answer the question - fine with me.
You're nothing but robotisms today, Aloha. You snarked and are now pretending you want a discussion. I'm not interested in your ideological tripe. White guilt is one of your party's standard bullshit red herrings and I'm calling you out on it because you obviously don't know why it's a red herring. You're the one not answering. We can't have a discussion until you understand what it's about. You don't know what the systemic racism is, you don't understand why it has nothing to do with white guilt, and you have no clue why it's your responsibility, just like mine and every other American's to do something about it, for your benefit. In short, systemic racism is a ball and chain on your ankle and you don't even know you're wearing it.

Stop being disingenuous, Aloha. Be real. Either admit you're clueless or put up.

Maybe you misunderstand. I refused to be thrown into the cesspool due to my color. Of course I have read the Letter from the Birmingham Jail. 'White racial resentment" is a political minority position to "white guilt".
Correct me if I'm wrong. You see that some friend of yours posted something on facebook asking "why did they kill Dr. King"? You interpreted "they" to mean "white people" and not just some white people back in the 1960s but all white people up to and including you. You then chastised your friend for slandering white people. Do I get this right?

Who assassinated Dr. King remains a point of controversy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Martin_Luther_King_Jr. Classified documents related to the case are not to be released until 2027. As the Wikipedia article makes clear, there is quite a bit of evidence that Hoover's FBI had made King a target. I believe they--the FBI--tried to encourage him to kill himself. The point being that there was, indeed, a governmental effort to destroy King. Given the ambiguity about who exactly was involved in the killing of King as well as the other known governmental efforts against King it seems appropriate to ask the question: "why did they kill Dr. King". But, while those government officials at various level who made efforts to destroy King were probably white, Christian, men those classes of people no more deserve indictment than do Muslims for the actions of ISIS. Such "blood libels" are the common currency of bigots. We should all guard against such bigotry. If we would ask the question "why did 'they' kill Dr. King" we should amplify who we think "they" might include. But we also should not assume that people are engaged in bigotry simply because their language is ambiguous. I gather you believe that your friend meant to indict white people as a group for Dr King's murder. If so you must gather that from other context which your post did not provide. If that is the case then you seem justified in your objection.

White racial resentment and white guilt are things. Most white people probably experience both in some measure. Judging from opinion polls I would say that white resentment is the more popular position among those who self-identify as white people.

You're nothing but robotisms today, Aloha. You snarked and are now pretending you want a discussion. I'm not interested in your ideological tripe. White guilt is one of your party's standard bullshit red herrings and I'm calling you out on it because you obviously don't know why it's a red herring. You're the one not answering. We can't have a discussion until you understand what it's about. You don't know what the systemic racism is, you don't understand why it has nothing to do with white guilt, and you have no clue why it's your responsibility, just like mine and every other American's to do something about it, for your benefit. In short, systemic racism is a ball and chain on your ankle and you don't even know you're wearing it.

Stop being disingenuous, Aloha. Be real. Either admit you're clueless or put up.
I know exactly what white guilt is and if you Googled it you’d see that it’s a term used by the left and right. I’m using it the way someone from the left uses it. I think it fits. However, if it offends you enough to get bent out of shape over, I apologize. Ignore it. I know you’ve given that advice to those that take offense to the posts of others. Take your own advice. Just answer the question instead. I don’t recall you offering specifics just generalities about unfairness without solutions. I could have missed it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT