ADVERTISEMENT

Quinn Buckner

HermanB

Senior
Dec 9, 2003
Was at an event in Indy last night where Quinn was speaking. During the Q&A session after-he was asked about his impressions of CTA. He admitted he knew little about him-seems unusual to me-given he's a former football player and Trustee. He had a pro-IU, pro athletics room. I was shocked that he had nothing to offer. Couldn't even fake it. Disappointing to say the least.

Was at an event in Indy last night where Quinn was speaking. During the Q&A session after-he was asked about his impressions of CTA. He admitted he knew little about him-seems unusual to me-given he's a former football player and Trustee. He had a pro-IU, pro athletics room. I was shocked that he had nothing to offer. Couldn't even fake it. Disappointing to say the least.
I heard he played basketball as well:)
Is he a current trustee?
If not, I could see where he may not know much about him.

He is indeed currently a Trustee. In fairness to him, he owned that he knew nothing about him. Pretty weak-IMHO though.

Reactions: CC Mac
TA has only been the HC a short time. He's only been a coach here period for a year. I think it's understandable if Quinn doesn't have a close relationship with every coach on campus.

Reactions: rcaulfie and IUXC68
Maybe he just wanted to stay away from football. It's only seven weeks since the former coach was cut loose and Allen was promoted, so it's still pretty raw and perhaps he just wanted to steer clear of all that. Or maybe he had something else to do/go to and just wanted to be done with the event. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Like I said, just seems a bit odd, not wanting him tarred and feathered lol
Curious why you find it odd. Most Trustees have little involvement with IU athletics beyond high level oversight of capital projects, the department leadership and financial status, and as fans.

I went to IU when Quinn was there. I lived on the floor above him at McNutt Crone. He is absolutely one of the finest people I have ever met and is a true Hoosier. He is also very intelligent and if his answers were not as expected,then it was for a reason. He always has IU in his best interest. Also,he won a high state bball championship in Illinois, an NCAA championship in 76, an Olympic gold medal and an NBA Championship with Milwaukee-an achievement of only a few. He truly represents excellence in everything he has ever been involved in. I would never doubt anything he says or does. I will never doubt Quinn.

He played one season of football, then concentrated on basketball for his remaining three years.

I was not aware he was a Trustee. Was he appointed by a Governor? Don't remember him on an Alumni ballot.

How is that weak....no one really knows much about Allen yet. Better he be honest than blow you a line of crap.

Buckner was a defensive back. CTA's defense had one of the biggest turnarounds in college football. In his first game as coach they battled top 20 Utah to the end of the game. The players all think he is great.

I don't think you need to make a big leap to say something positive.

Reactions: td75 and mk23
I find it surprising simply for the fact the guy makes a living talking without saying much. Ever watch the Pacers?

Reactions: DANC
I find it surprising simply for the fact the guy makes a living talking without saying much. Ever watch the Pacers?
Love Quinn, but you are correct.

As for his knowledge about IU football, I doubt he even knew Wilson was coach. When Quinn was here, Knight openly ridiculed the IU football program. Supposedly he made the team change in the football locker room because "that's where the losers change" (no, I don't have a link, but that was a common story at IU when I was there).

If you didn't already know Quinn as an IU player, you might never know - he never seems to publicly talk much about that part of his life.

As for his knowledge about IU football, I doubt he even knew Wilson was coach. When Quinn was here, Knight openly ridiculed the IU football program. Supposedly he made the team change in the football locker room because "that's where the losers change" (no, I don't have a link, but that was a common story at IU when I was there).

If you didn't already know Quinn as an IU player, you might never know - he never seems to publicly talk much about that part of his life.
If my memory serves me correct, I believe that Quinn was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in football.

And it should be so easy to understand why people like me, simply can't bring themselves to root for the basketball team.

The sad thing is, I used to really like Knight. When you read these horror stories regarding Knight and the football program, it's rather obvious he didn't help the football program.

I'm not knocking Buckner, he seems intelligent, but calculating. Buckner absolutely should've thrown some positives in there though. It's too easy to paint a good picture at that point.

Hard to believe though it is, trustees have several more important things to concern themselves than the football team.

If my memory serves me, the Board of Trustees were never consulted about Wilson's resgination nor Allen's hiring. I don't know if new hires get a dog-and-pony introductory show before the trustees or not. So, I am not surprised to hear Quinn knows little about the man.
Heck, how much do WE know about him?

Never did remember Knight "openly ridiculed the IU football program." That's not the same as hearing it second hand that he made some type of comment. Openly means stating it "out in the open" where the general public would hear it.

iirc, Quinn's dad played football for IU, and i think he may have been on the undefeated 45 team.

that said, QB just contacted me, and wanted me to pass along for him that he thinks TA is the greatest hire IU has ever made, will be the greatest football coach in the history of football, and IU should be "THE" dominant football power in the country for the next 20+ yrs.

everybody happy now.

btw 89, he also said to tell you he also agrees with me 1000% on the NEZ and the helmets.

Never did remember Knight "openly ridiculed the IU football program." That's not the same as hearing it second hand that he made some type of comment. Openly means stating it "out in the open" where the general public would hear it.
When Knight says it to the team, that seems pretty open to me. And when it's being talked about by the general public, that seems pretty open to me. But whatever....

Reactions: IUcolorado
I stand corrected. Good catch. My feeble memory was one year, but the official IU p.r. on him says two.
If memory serves - and it may not - Quinn not only played, he was 2nd team All Big Ten Safety

When Knight says it to the team, that seems pretty open to me. And when it's being talked about by the general public, that seems pretty open to me. But whatever....

So, "What happens in the lockerroom stays in the lockerroom" is a dead concept, or is it just dead at Indiana University?

Me neither. I always heard the opposite.

Bill Mallory evidently didn't think so either. His words:

"When I was considering the job, Bob Knight called me and asked if I was interested. I asked him if there would be a commitment to football, and he said there would be. We made a commitment and things got much better."

Me neither. I always heard the opposite.

Bill Mallory evidently didn't think so either. His words:

"When I was considering the job, Bob Knight called me and asked if I was interested. I asked him if there would be a commitment to football, and he said there would be. We made a commitment and things got much better."
Knight liked Mallory. But he had no respect for Corso.

What do you think the head coaches are going to say about each other in public?

Knight liked Mallory. But he had no respect for Corso.

What do you think the head coaches are going to say about each other in public?
Knight helped recruit the most successful football coach of the last 40-plus years. That says a lot. He may have disliked Corso but I've never seen any indication that he disliked football.

He didn't make them change there but he threatened to. Then again, he threatened a lot of things.

Knight helped recruit the most successful football coach of the last 40-plus years. That says a lot. He may have disliked Corso but I've never seen any indication that he disliked football.
When I made my original statement, I said when Buckner was playing. I said he didn't respect the football team then. I also remember him coming on Corso's show and claiming to support the football program it. Just because he says something doesn't mean it's reality.

It's called "coachspeak".

But if you want to bring up another time I didn't comment on, go right ahead - but that wasn't part of my original statement.

I stand corrected. Good catch. My feeble memory was one year, but the official IU p.r. on him says two.

Keep Google near by. You can correct people and sound really smart about things despite never having stepped foot on campus when you look them up first.:)

Reactions: brianiu
Keep Google near by. You can correct people and sound really smart about things despite never having stepped foot on campus when you look them up first.:)
Good advice. I graduated from IU a few years before Quinn, and all of these newfangled automated avenues have yet to sink in.;)

Good advice. I graduated from IU a few years before Quinn, and all of these newfangled automated avenues have yet to sink in.;)
Buckner was a really good safety at IU, as those of us who saw him play know full well. His heart, however, was always with basketball, and the wear and tear of the gridiron was beginning to catch up with him when Knight asked him to make a choice of one sport or the other (knowing he'd pick hoops).

Would've been interesting to see how he might have developed had he also stuck with football, but we'll never know. Nice that you and I can count ourselves among the lucky ones who actually got to see him play both sports at IU. So many didn't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT