ADVERTISEMENT

question on Iowa BB

Wow! “Accurate feedback” isn’t what you want to hear. I’ll try to spell it out so that maybe you will go away.
1) Most fans here don’t care about Iowa until they play IU
2) Most think Fran is a crappy coach
3) Most think Iowa has played a crappy non-con schedule
4) Some think Iowa has some nice talent
5) Most feel until Iowa starts to win conference games or play IU they are irrelevant

Save some time and don’t respond with more “stats” and “theories” because no one cares (until Iowa plays IU).

Don't forget they play in oversized chuckhole.

have anyone changed their opinion for this season?
this really does no mean much but Iowa beat Savanah State 110-64 and only had 7 healthy scholarship players today C Garza missed as he was in a walking boot and McCaffery was held out due to a concussion protocal .

they used 4 walk ons that played major minutes.

Based on most of the comments, I'm probably out on a limb a bit here, but I kinda like what I'm seeing from Iowa this year.

All along I thought that next year would be a Top 20 type of season for the Hawks. This season needed to be a progressive season in which they at least began to find their footing defensively. They were so bad last year that hoping for a jump into the Kenpom Top 50 was probably too much to hope for.

If I were an Iowa fan, I think I would be pretty pleased with the exception of the home loss to Wisconsin, but perhaps by March 7th you guys can return the favor up in Madison.

The conference race should be an exciting one this season and Iowa will be another entertaining team to follow. I'll guess that Iowa makes the NCAA tournament this season, but (with only 1 senior) even a good NIT run may set things up for next year nicely.

Happy Holidays

Reactions: Love4beer
they want him fired because he has not taken the team to the FF.

this years team has far more talent than it ever had under Indiana's Golden Boy Alford.

one more note Crean had more 4 and 5* players in state each year than Iowa has in 6-8 years, the last couple years the uptick in 4* players instate is getting better and Fran is starting to keep that grown in state players.

PG Carton was a player from New Orleans so he never had a in state connection to any of the in state schools.

now that the instate kids are getting more exposure on the AAU circuit and earning their stripes this team will keep getting better

even Foster in the 2020 class with 247 5 crystal balls 100% to Iowa. the 5th crystal ball was for Kentucky and now he flipped to Iowa. Patrick is #50 by ESPN. top 100 4* by the other services.

True, Indiana produces a lot of 4 and 5 star recruits every year, but Crean missed out on a lot of them. A lot. A LOT. If he was here when the Louisville scandal broke, and was still here, Romeo would be in a Vanderbilt uniform, and Phinissee would (probably) be at Purdue. As for this year’s main targets, Trayce Jackson-Davis would have long since committed to/signed with either Michigan St or UCLA, and Keion Brooks would have eliminated us from being considered a long time ago.

Last edited:
like I posted the players have bought into playing defense, Cook is doing what the scouts told him to do,
PG Connor allows Jordan to play the 2 and Wieskamp give Fran that solid 5th starter that was missing last season.

last season WAS last season. this is a new season. these are the teams that Iowa has beaten
UMKC 5-9 part of the Y2 Classic
Green Bay 6-7 part of the Y2 Classic, I had no choice in picking these 2 teams
Oregon 8-4 #13 when they beat them
UConn 9-4
Pitt ACC/BT Challenge 9-3
ISU 10-2
UNI Big 4 Clasic and a state senator is trying pass a bill to make Iowa and Iowa State PLAY UNI and Drake every year.
WCU 3-11
Savanah State 3-11
I don't see teams scheduling a murders row but it seems fans of other teams demands that of Iowa

that makes 7 of the OOC games where Iowa has no contol over who they play.

Wisconsin loss hurt
MSU oh well has Iowa won just 2 games in the Breslyn Stadium since Chris Street was killed in a auto mobile accident. the 1st in Iowa's game right after Streets death and the 2nd in Fran's 2015-16 season, hmmm 2 wins in 22+ years on MSU Home court.

True, Indiana produces a lot of 4 and 5 star recruits every year, but Crean missed out on a lot of them. A lot. A LOT. If he was here when the Louisville scandal broke, and was still here, Romeo would be in a Vanderbilt uniform, and Phinissee would (probably) be at Purdue. As for this year’s main targets, Trayce Jackson-Davis would have long since committed to/signed with either Michigan St or UCLA, and Keion Brooks would have eliminated us from being considered a long time ago.
doesn't change the fact that Indiana University sits in a rich with to talent BB players vs Iowa
the year before Fran got here Barnes was the top talent
the next top players were
3* BY Rivals and a top 100 4* Uthoff who chose Wisconsin and then came back to Iowa
Woodbury who chose Iowa and Paige who chose UNCheats
the next came in the 2016 class was 4* Jordan by ESPN
then 4* Connor in the 2017 class
Wieskamp in the 18 class Green who chose UNI because he grew up 10 minute away from UNI and his father works for UNI.

Indiana has that many in every year. vs those over a 10 year period.

so yes Fran is doing a very good job with the instate talent at his disposal.
I would love it if Iowa produced the #'s of 4-5* players that Indiana does.

doesn't change the fact that Indiana University sits in a rich with to talent BB players vs Iowa
the year before Fran got here Barnes was the top talent
the next top players were
3* BY Rivals and a top 100 4* Uthoff who chose Wisconsin and then came back to Iowa
Woodbury who chose Iowa and Paige who chose UNCheats
the next came in the 2016 class was 4* Jordan by ESPN
then 4* Connor in the 2017 class
Wieskamp in the 18 class Green who chose UNI because he grew up 10 minute away from UNI and his father works for UNI.

Indiana has that many in every year. vs those over a 10 year period.

so yes Fran is doing a very good job with the instate talent at his disposal.
I would love it if Iowa produced the #'s of 4-5* players that Indiana does.

Not saying Fran isn’t doing a decent job with what he has, just clearing up the misperception Iowa fans had that Crean was doing so much better than him when IU fired him.

have anyone changed their opinion for this season?
this really does no mean much but Iowa beat Savanah State 110-64 and only had 7 healthy scholarship players today C Garza missed as he was in a walking boot and McCaffery was held out due to a concussion protocal .

they used 4 walk ons that played major minutes.
Where is Iowa?

That's a nightmare! Please wake me up!

Reactions: Jayhoosier83
Not saying Fran isn’t doing a decent job with what he has, just clearing up the misperception Iowa fans had that Crean was doing so much better than him when IU fired him.
doesn't change the fact that Crean still had more local talent that Fran did, Fran now has more 4* talent on this years team than they have had in the last 20 years. these 2 are a major upgrade
RSFR PG Connor McCaffery
FR SG/WG Wieskamp

Connor replaces Dailey and Ellingson both were not PG's
Joe replace Wagner who went to play FB for Kentucky,, Wagner was limited to within 5' of the basket in scoring and playing defense.

when I talk about or compare Fran to what he has done I am not trying to compare him to other BT Coaches. who I compare him to is past Iowa coaches.

he has a 4 year starter that is 3rd in wins by a 4 year starter.
25 wins is tied for the most wins in a season
when Iowa had back to back T-3rd place finishes the last time that happened was in Dr. Toms 1st 2 seasons. that was over 30 years ago.
5 straight .500 or better seasons in BT play again Dr. Tom was the last coach to do so. in the 8 years that Fran has been the HC only Izzo can claim the same feat.
6 straight winning seasons he is the only Iowa coach to do so.

on a national level not much to hang a hat on.

doesn't change the fact that Crean still had more local talent that Fran did, Fran now has more 4* talent on this years team than they have had in the last 20 years. these 2 are a major upgrade
RSFR PG Connor McCaffery
FR SG/WG Wieskamp

Joe replace Wagner who went to play FB for Kentucky,, Wagner was limited to within 5' of the basket in scoring and playing defense.
And what did Crean do with the local talent he did get to come to IU? Averaged finishing in the middle of the Big 10, missed out on the NCAAs 5 out of the 9 years he was here, and missed out on the postseason entirely in 4 of the 5 years we didn’t make it into the NCAAs.

Is there really a thread about freaking Iowa basketball on an Indiana board? Smh
why not? does it hurt your feelings? i like talking hoops with opposing fans. isn't that what you might do with friends in a sports bar? you know, there is an ignore button if it bothers you. i don't understand why so many people here feel so threatened because fans of other teams want to engage in hoops discussions

Are all Iowa fans this dumb?

The BPI?

lol ...........................

Iowa beat a struggling and overrated Oregon team that was missing one of its top two guys. That Oregon team was so bad that it lost Texas Southern, and then to a very poor Baylor team.. Then Iowa beat an Iowa St team missing two players including their starting PG. Your defense is rated in the 90's, if you dumbasses think that's good defense, well, maybe you need a less complicated sport to watch because you don't have a clue about this one.

Plus, your coach is named after a woman. lmao

The BPI ... omg that's just preciously ignorant.
why are you treating the iowa fan this way? you call him a dumbass and he let's it roll off his shoulder without a response in kind and continues to try to engage you in a friendly basketball dialogue. are you 13 or am i missing something? you are kind of embarrassing indiana fans

Cook is doing exactly what the people in the NBA Combine told he needs to do to get drafted.
that was be more of a team leader, improve his defense, extend his range out to 17', he has done that so far. improving his ball handling in the assists department, rebounding, the team defense has improved.

as to showing his leadership is shown in including his team mates rather than being a ball hog.

give me multiple dbl digit scorer any/every day over 1 dbl digit scorer like Jok did at 19.9 ppg. yes my question was legit.
with your state known as a BB state Ithought that I could get a accurate feed back. but I guess I was wrong.
don't judge all of us on a couple of childish knuckleheads.

why are you treating the iowa fan this way? you call him a dumbass and he let's it roll off his shoulder without a response in kind and continues to try to engage you in a friendly basketball dialogue. are you 13 or am i missing something? you are kind of embarrassing indiana fans

TMP is one of the most insightful posters in our community, especially his understanding of advanced stats and the stories they tell.

When he posts people need to pay attention.

Reactions: Paterfamilias
yes

TMP is one of the most insightful posters in our community, especially his understanding of advanced stats and the stories they tell.

When he posts people need to pay attention.
if he were insightful and of keen intellect he wouldn't feel compelled to fortify his position with constant childish name calling

Reactions: IU Hardcore
RSFR PG Connor McCaffery
FR SG/WG Wieskamp

First it was bragging about beating Savannah State which was supposed to be impressive because they shoot a lot of threes. Now you're bragging that your coach is on par or maybe slightly better than Tom Crean. You have to be trolling

Wow! “Accurate feedback” isn’t what you want to hear. I’ll try to spell it out so that maybe you will go away.
5) Most feel until Iowa starts to win conference games or play IU they are irrelevant

Save some time and don’t respond with more “stats” and “theories” because no one cares (until Iowa plays IU).
Yep, pretty much covers it.

Amen

Well, fellas, I’m a little disappointed. I really thought dragon hawk would be back to ask our opinions on Iowa’s big win last night.

Not to mention their defense is ranked in the 90s and second to worst in the Big10. Fran gonna Fran though I suppose.

Well, fellas, I’m a little disappointed. I really thought dragon hawk would be back to ask our opinions on Iowa’s big win last night.
I think he's still basking in their amazing win against Savannah State. They shoot a lot of threes, you know.

Desperation game for Purdue but clearly, Iowa was disappointing. Those are the games you need to win to stay in the hunt for a tourney spot.

this team is playing defense
they held UConn to 4-26 from 3 and Oregon to 6-19 from 3 with them using 3 guards that were supposed to be athletically superior
Garza more that held his own against Oregon 5* C Bol Bol
then they beat ISU by holding them to 6-23 from 3.
last season these are teams that would have destroyed Iowa from 3 in winning the games.

against Savanah State these were out due to injuries
Connor due to concussion Protocol
Pemsl had season ending knee surgery
Garza due to a ankle sprain
these 2 are RS'ing
Nunge
Fredrick out due to broken ribs,

they only had 7 scholarship players so 4 walk on players played.
the difference between this year and last are these
1st nobody has/will play out of position
2nd when healthy they can go a solid 2 deep at each position
3rd it looks like this
PG Jordan now has Connor has his backup. this will allow Jordan to move to the 2 which will allow Jordan to use his 3 point shooting to the advantage of the team
SG Moss now has Dailey as his backup this allows him to concentrate strictly on playing to SG position as he was/is not a PG
SF Wieskamp a solid 5th starter this allows Baer to be the teams 6th man again which is what he does best
PF Cook with his backup being Kriener a better shooter from 3 than Cook is
C Garza backup Kriener both can shoot the 3 and defend the outside and inside. Pemsl before he had season ending Knee surgery was going to be Cook's backup.

this years team will be a very good 3 point shooting team and because of the additions of Wieskamp and Connor the defense is much improved, Jordon is 100% heatlhy this season and already has a team high of 6 steals in a game this season. [and no it was not against Savanah State] but he was 6-14 from 3.

this years team is far better than last years team.
Fran is a boob and Iowa is 0-3 in the conference. They are out of the top 25 as they should be.

Fran is a boob and Iowa is 0-3 in the conference. They are out of the top 25 as they should be.
Iowa is 1-3 in BT play and 12-3 overall.

Iowa without their 2nd leading scorer, rebounder in C 6'11 Garza for 4 straight games. in the Bryant game they triple teamed Cook every time he touched the ball. if Garza had been able to play Bryant they would not have been able to triple team Cook and the score would have been larger.

the same with the Purdue game Garza would have had a impact on that game as well.

in the Nebraska game he had a impact on the game. no dbl teaming Cook and the only reason why Nebraska was in the game is that they made their runs when both Cook and Garza were on the bench at the same time.

yes this season the defense is at 90 but last season it was 240 or worse.

a site that shows the numbers of the teams most of the BT teams ahead of the margin of the victory were 10 ppg no matter how many points a team scored or gave up.

Iowa without their 2nd leading scorer, rebounder in C 6'11 Garza for 4 straight games. in the Bryant game they triple teamed Cook every time he touched the ball. if Garza had been able to play Bryant they would not have been able to triple team Cook and the score would have been larger.

the same with the Purdue game Garza would have had a impact on that game as well.

in the Nebraska game he had a impact on the game. no dbl teaming Cook and the only reason why Nebraska was in the game is that they made their runs when both Cook and Garza were on the bench at the same time.

a site that shows the numbers of the teams most of the BT teams ahead of the margin of the victory were 10 ppg no matter how many points a team scored or gave up.
Nobody cares and it is funny you did not come here after the loss to Purdue

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Nobody cares and it is funny you did not come here after the loss to Purdue
never thought about as I was on another board talking about FB recruiting. the Purdue game Iowa was down to 8 scholarship players with the tallest player being 6'9 Cook and Kriener , then the next tallest players were Baer at 6'7, Dailey at 6'7. the game was @Purdue so the outcome came as no surprise to me.

just like the loss @MSU was not a surprise. as Iowa has only won twice in the Breslyn Center, the 1st was in 1992 right after Street was killed in a car crash, the 2nd was in 2015 under Fran. the margin of the loss was the norm over 26 years.

right now the only real bad loss in the BT is the loss to Wisconsin.,

Sorry, but you will get no sympathy on injuries. We have 5 injured scholarship players including our starting point guard, a big man, and one of our best recruits. We played a few games with more than 5 players injured.

Iowa is a mid pack team at best. Fran is an average coach. Iowa may be a fine university, but they aren't among our top programs in the conference. You are more delusional than the PU fans.

Sorry, but you will get no sympathy on injuries. We have 5 injured scholarship players including our starting point guard, a big man, and one of our best recruits. We played a few games with more than 5 players injured.

Iowa is a mid pack team at best. Fran is an average coach. Iowa may be a fine university, but they aren't among our top programs in the conference. You are more delusional than the PU fans.

Amen!

well Iowa has now beat NW and Nebraska both of which were picked to finish ahead of Iowa, the NW game was on the road with out Cook.
Cook is questionable for the OSU game and they are - 2.5 going into the game. nobody saw that coming before the season.

they are now 13-3 1 game short of their win total from last season. with 15 regular season games left.

well Iowa has now beat NW and Nebraska both of which were picked to finish ahead of Iowa, the NW game was on the road with out Cook.
Cook is questionable for the OSU game and they are - 2.5 going into the game. nobody saw that coming before the season.

they are now 13-3 1 game short of their win total from last season. with 15 regular season games left.

I’m not a big fan of Fran. That said, Iowa is likely to drill IU on 2/22. They may even sweep. Depends who IU has back.

after today Iowa is 1/2 game out of 4th place 14-3 = last years win total. 3-3 1 game from last season 4 win BT season, next up a road game vs PSU.

I think you guys are a fine team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT