ADVERTISEMENT

Put their names on their jerseys!

With or without names on the jersey, I always have a roster printout regardless of whether the Hoosiers are on television or I'm sitting in the West stand.

Historically, adults in the U.S. having been willing to be slightly inconvenienced (if you can call it that, which itself is a bit pathetic) for the benefit of the younger generation. It is a symbolic reminder and an important object lesson!

Thank you Mr. Glass for ensuring that at Indiana's university our teams play for the name on the front!

I “marginally” support the names but it is not a big deal to me either way.

If I were Fred I would let the team decide this issue.

Personally I don’t care one way or another. But to base the evaluation of Fred Glass on this is ridiculous. I think he has hit on some good hires women’s basketball, women’s softball, women’s volleyball. I believe that Tom Allen will get it done. I am hopeful that Archie Miller can also right the ship. There have been huge upgrades to facilities.

I do believe that $70 for a football ticket is a little steep, and the lack of attendance bares that out. I believe it is better to charge less at the gate and make up for it in other places ie concessions, merchandise.

For the record I DON'T CARE whether the names are on the jerseys or not. I like the look without them and I don't have a problem remembering which player is wearing what number but if they put the names back on them I wouldn't complain. I am really surprised by how much some of you care. I know now what to bring up at the next tailgater if I want to start a fight! :D

My sense is "if you have an easy, low hanging fruit" there for the picking - in this case, eliminating a small nuisance pissing off a lot of your fans, just change it and move on. Why have a distraction when it can be an easy win that also probably would play well with players and recruits too.

"You play for the name across the front of the jersey. You're accountable for the actions of the name on the back." Coach Hep (a fan of names on the jerseys)

It's not that big of a deal for me but the timing of it was very suspect. You have a new coach that is trying to build and you start making changes like that doesn't make a lot of sense.

I’d take it a step further:

Put the names on the jersey AND if they screw up, remove a letter from the name every eff up that they make which proves costly. Just rip them off one letter at a time.

Reactions: mk23
My sense is "if you have an easy, low hanging fruit" there for the picking - in this case, eliminating a small nuisance pissing off a lot of your fans, just change it and move on. Why have a distraction when it can be an easy win that also probably would play well with players and recruits too.

"You play for the name across the front of the jersey. You're accountable for the actions of the name on the back." Coach Hep (a fan of names on the jerseys)

Exactly! It's not a make or break thing but it's OBVIOUS what the majority of fans want. Why screw up the little things if we don't have to??

This issue goes back more than 50 years. In the 1960’s teams were having increasing difficulty selling game programs. What once was a 50 cent item had increased to $5 at a time when most schools ticket prices were less than $15. In an effort to increase program sales some schools elected to take player’s names off the jerseys. It was such a blatant money grab the fans reacted and the media made it an issue and soon most schools had returned names to the jerseys.

When you are in the entertainment business you should make every effort to do a good job with those things you can control. You can’t determine wins or losses or the quality of team performance. What you can control is the quality of the gameday experience. It is really counter productive to give potential new fans reasons not to embrace your product. Everything from parking to usher and vendor’s friendliness, quality of the concessions, cleanliness of the stadium and especially the restrooms, game presentation including traffic control, parking, pregame, halftime show, Band, PA, Video Boards, music, field appearance, player uniforms, game programs and things relating enhancing the fan experience like making players identifiable are important. Customer service is paramount and clearly identifiable players is pretty high on the list for most fans. As an outsider who frequents this forum it sure seems to me it is an issue for some folks on this forum and you are among the most faithful fans. If it pisses of your best fans and you have lots of seats to sell to those not so faithful, why make it an issue. Out the names back in the jerseys. Listen to your customers.
Now I spent thirty years in the business as a game management, Public Relations and Marketing executive at the professional level in the NBA, MLB and the NFL. I was part of setting records everywhere I went in season ticket sales and single game and season attendance records. I was paid a lot of money for what I did. I would not know Fred Glass if I bumped into him, but if I was introduced to him I could talk for hours about the importance of quality control in every aspect of a sports organization’s on the and off the field operations. It’s often said “If you take care of doing the small things right the big things will take care of themselves.” I can tell you one thing. What has happened at Purdue since Mike Bobinski arrived is textbook
“How To Do” sports entertainment management and operations. Whether Brohm won right away or not, it was obvious from the first event under new management that things were different. The winning certainly is welcome, but with a new customer oriented philosophy in effect the fact they won and the fans were treated so much better than previously helped insure people came back again and people who had left the fold returned and liked the way they were treated. Thirteen home games in two seasons with an attendance increase of 16,000 per game is 208,000 people buying parking, tickets, concessions and novelties. It should be noted that the numbers from previous attendance included huge amounts of “No Shows” so the actual in stadium increase is much greater than 16,000 per game. Good luck.

Speaking of doing a good job with things that one can control, did the athletic department ever own up to this :

https://saturdaytradition.com/india...n-the-bleachers-at-indianas-memorial-stadium/

Thank you AD lurkers!

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2019/4/...eturn-names-to-back-of-uniforms-for-2019.aspx

IU said:
Indiana University Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Fred Glass announced today that the IU Football team will once again have the players' names on the back of its uniforms when the 2019 season kicks off this fall.

Following the lead of all IU's other varsity sports and IU's then-new Brand and Uniform Guidelines, the names had been removed from the back of the football uniforms for the 2018 season.

"After listening to feedback from a variety of sources, particularly from our fans, I believe it is the right decision to return to an exception for football to our tradition of not having players' names on our uniforms," Glass said. "I have come to understand that, taken together, the unique qualities of football including the size of the competition venue, the distance most of our fans from the field of play, the large number of players, and the use of duplicate numbers, as a practical matter call for the return of the players' names to our football uniforms not withstanding our continuing philosophy of team over self."

What if the team next year changes their mind?

The biggest reason the names probably will never go back on jerseys, at least while Fred Glass is athletic director, is that it would be an admission that it was a stupid decision.

CTA should’ve had the balls to say no the names stay .
I stand corrected. The names are back on and it’s water under the bridge

I can be hard on the Athletic Department, but in this case they made a good call, recognizing a decision may have been wrong and correcting it. Well done.

Reactions: hoosier8760
Fred’s attention now turns to (in no particular order):

1. Bird poop.
  2. A surfboard replacing Hep’s Rock.
  3. Hot dog pricing.
  4. The color of the golf cart (crimson or cream).
  5. Towel thickness for the whirlpools.
  6. Urinal puck color for the locker room (traditional pink or candy stripe).
  7. Extending flag pole.
  8. Determining “red light special” time - 3rd quarter or 4th quarter
  9. Jug machine speed for football catch contest.
  10. Install air conditioning inside giant, clear bubble balls for contestants.
Going to be a busy off-season. Wonder if all of these have to clear with McRobbie first?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT