ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue

That is a great question/point, and if I'm answering honestly, no, I don't think it does. I think most of these guys subscribe to the belief in "their brand" and that school allegiances and rivalries aren't as important. But, the way the ESPN hype machine works, I do know that Duke v UNC still means something down here, and I think if we were doing a better job of upholding our end of the bargain, IU v PU would mean more to them. It's easy to dismiss it as an old notion if my school/team has gotten their ass handed to them 7 straight times or whatever it is. I also believe it's meant more to the PU kids for quite awhile than it has to our guys.
I think the coaches made the rivalry as well. RMK and Gene were fierce. Painter has a respectable legacy but he’s not a fierce mean grumpy pumping his fist-type. And no one can parallel RMK’s sideline presence, plus our coaching situation has been a shitshow for much of the past 20 yrs. the coaching changes helped to neuter the rivalry quite a bit.

I think the coaches made the rivalry as well. RMK and Gene were fierce. Painter has a respectable legacy but he’s not a fierce mean grumpy pumping his fist-type. And no one can parallel RMK’s sideline presence, plus our coaching situation has been a shitshow for much of the past 20 yrs. the coaching changes helped to neuter the rivalry quite a bit.

Add to this the numbers of east coast kids coming to Btown has watered down the history. The rivalry is still a huge deal in WL however, it has always been bigger for PU students and grads but the relative comparison is even further shifted today.

• Haha
Reactions: B_Town_Buford
Maybe true. But in terms of planning for the future I don't think IU faired well in the fall recruiting cycle while PU got exactly what they needed.

The new transfer rule (whenever it takes effect) is going to soften the blow of recruiting misses.

I offer without comment:

Link to IU Demographics
Indiana68.8%
Illinois13.0%
Ohio2.4%
New York2.1%
California1.8%
New Jersey1.2%
Missouri1.2%
Michigan0.9%
Kentucky0.9%
Texas0.8%
Yeah, the actual figures belie the true student composition. It’s true that, in the common application world, IU became a “safe” school for faraway kids in that it was a relative bargain financially and for acceptance (especially for eastern kids, as well as those from neighboring states who can’t get into State U), but the notion that there’s been some kind of sea change is really not true. If we were very good over the last 20 years, AH would still be full and the rivalry would be flourishing. With a few exceptions, we haven’t kept up our end of the bargain. And now, apathy . . .

Last edited:
Yea. Ouch. Maybe we can bring back Mike Davis.
Maybe not. But it’s undeniable that the rivalry has faded somewhat due to our lack of competitiveness. At some point, we stopped mattering to UK as they ascended and we continued to fall. I doubt it will ever disappear like that, since we have to play each other, but the scoreboard doesn’t lie . . . unfortunately.

I offer without comment:

Link to IU Demographics
Indiana68.8%
Illinois13.0%
Ohio2.4%
New York2.1%
California1.8%
New Jersey1.2%
Missouri1.2%
Michigan0.9%
Kentucky0.9%
Texas0.8%

2020 Freshman class has dropped to 59% in-state students. It has been a consistent slide. In part intentionally driven by desirable out of state tuition revenue and in part by the value and quality of schools like Kelley.

2020 Freshman class has dropped to 59% in-state students. It has been a consistent slide. In part intentionally driven by desirable out of state tuition revenue and in part by the value and quality of schools like Kelley.
Now Purdue

Top StatesPercent of Undergrads
Indiana69.2%
Illinois9.9%
California3.0%
Ohio2.5%
Texas1.4%
New Jersey1.2%
Michigan1.2%
Pennsylvania1.1%
Wisconsin1.0%
Minnesota0.9%

I'd agree, but I don't think it really matters nationally who's coaching if we're not both good. IMO that's what's made the Duke UNC rivalry so great: they are both good typically and nationally relevant. Then you add in that they have well-known coaches with personality who are public figures, and the Air Jordan/Nike money, and the private school rich kids vs public school, and big arena public venue vs small on-campus arena. So many compelling aspects to that one, but IU v PU, if we were both good, could become again the B10 version of that and command a spot in ESPN's rotation... sad, they're showing Houston v S FL at 7pm Thursday instead of IU v PU.

Reactions: Cavanagh
To an infinitely smaller audience. If it was ready for prime time . . . The ACC has a network, too. Let us know when Carolina-Duke is on there.

Everyone that has access to ESPN has access to FS1. It's on any basic channel package.

The ACC's primary contract obligation is with ESPN, B10 is with Fox. Apples to Oranges.

I'd agree, but I don't think it really matters nationally who's coaching if we're not both good. IMO that's what's made the Duke UNC rivalry so great: they are both good typically and nationally relevant. Then you add in that they have well-known coaches with personality who are public figures, and the Air Jordan/Nike money, and the private school rich kids vs public school, and big arena public venue vs small on-campus arena. So many compelling aspects to that one, but IU v PU, if we were both good, could become again the B10 version of that and command a spot in ESPN's rotation... sad, they're showing Houston v S FL at 7pm Thursday instead of IU v PU.
I had just typed up a long run-on about glory days...then deleted it after I read the last part of your post....IU/PU getting bumped for the Hou-SFL game. I'll just sit here quietly and let that sink in. It's definitely not 1987 anymore.

Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
I had just typed up a long run-on about glory days...then deleted it after I read the last part of your post....IU/PU getting bumped for the Hou-SFL game. I'll just sit here quietly and let that sink in. It's definitely not 1987 anymore.

IU/PU did not get bumped for South Florida/Houston on ESPN2 because it's not 1987. IU/PU is being played on FS1 because the B10's primary TV obligation is with Fox. Stop being dense.

What other regular season B1G league games are/have been/will be on ESPN on a weeknight?

ESPN has ACC and SEC primary contracts and runs their networks for them. B1G owns their network and has a different set of priorities and contracts.

What other regular season B1G league games are/have been/will be on ESPN on a weeknight?

ESPN has ACC and SEC primary contracts and runs their networks for them. B1G owns their network and has a different set of priorities and contracts.

ESPN still has some rights to weeknight B10 games, primarily on Tuesday, but most if not all of the B10 weeknight games you see are on BTN/FS1. It's been that way for the last few years after the big contract deal the B10 signed back in 2017.

And if it makes anyone feel better, the return game in West Lafayette is being played on the ESPN family of networks.

IU/PU did not get bumped for South Florida/Houston on ESPN2 because it's not 1987. IU/PU is being played on FS1 because the B10's primary TV obligation is with Fox. Stop being dense.
thanks professor.
I guess I should happy...I no longer have to hear Vitale shill about Duke and UK/Calipari, and how tragic it is that RMK hasn't returned to the hall. If we're lucky, maybe we'll get more Bill Walton talking about waterfalls, Dead concerts and kayaking from New Zealand to Kwajelin Atoll.

I don’t think it happened. It’s internet myth. like Crean’s intestinal disturbance during an in-home, it never happened. It’s just a story to make Archie look foolish. I’m surprised it gets repeated here.
You doof. Lazy ass Purdue fan. Go find it. I heard it twice. Here is a link to your site. Geez!!!! It’s not the whole interview but it’s close.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookyIU1990
thanks professor.
I guess I should happy...I no longer have to hear Vitale shill about Duke and UK/Calipari, and how tragic it is that RMK hasn't returned to the hall. If we're lucky, maybe we'll get more Bill Walton talking about waterfalls, Dead concerts and kayaking from New Zealand to Kwajelin Atoll.

Do people really listen to the announcers? I will occasionally really engage to what they are saying after a play, but 95% of the time it is just background noise.

Walton is awesome because he is just telling stories and giving random facts. A lot of those random facts I find way more interesting than dakich, bardo, or Morris breaking down Robs potential.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Do people really listen to the announcers? I will occasionally really engage to what they are saying after a play, but 95% of the time it is just background noise.

Walton is awesome because he is just telling stories and giving random facts. A lot of those random facts I find way more interesting than dakich, bardo, or Morris breaking down Robs potential.
I've always found Bill to be in love with the sound of his own voice, and too often he's allowed to drift off onto topics that are for his own personal interest but have nothing to do with the game. But I'm also not listening to much of what comes out of DD's mouth. Bardo....meh. I met Sean Morris at Ohare back before the 2012-2013 season and we talked for about 10 minutes, all about bball, IU, Hoosier daddy...the old days. Was a great conversation. That said...he is knowledgeable but very vanilla on the air.

ESPN still has some rights to weeknight B10 games, primarily on Tuesday, but most if not all of the B10 weeknight games you see are on BTN/FS1. It's been that way for the last few years after the big contract deal the B10 signed back in 2017.
I'm sure you're probably right, but I know enough good B10 games make it to ESPN that it's fooled me for at least a couple years then that they generally carry bigger games and have their choice. Count me in to the "old guy" category, but the best sports viewing of my life was Big Monday back in the mid 80s with the Big East, then Big 10 then Big West games. You'd get to see St Johns, Gtown, Cuse, Providence, Nova, etc... then the best of the Big and generally then UNLV to end the night. 6 great hours of college bball. If that's true, that the biggest games are routinely no longer on ESPN, while it may make the conference more money, it certainly hurts the promotion of the conference nationally. Of course, we're talking about the same brain trust that decided to act solo on canceling, errr, delaying the football season this year while the SEC and ACC went forward, so who am I to question their knowledge?

Reactions: Crayfish57
I like you better high. You make more sense.
I wasn't a stoner in high school, but my group of friends crossed the spectrum and one, while one of the best athletes in my high school, was truly, and sadly, a stoner and alcoholic. I'd be out with him and we'd be bummed because we didn't have any drink or smoke (OK, I was experimenting!) and we'd drive around to liquor stores trying to find someone to buy for us, or score a joint from somewhere. It was amazing how many times after a few drinks or hits, the guy would tell me to stop somewhere and he'd go running off into the woods or under a bridge and come back with a stash he'd hidden and forgotten about until he returned to that similar state and remembered where it was. If an alcoholic does something while drunk, they often won't remember it unless they are drunk again. Saw it repeatedly first hand.Was uncanny.

Sorry, I know this belongs on the AOTF, but I'm not drunk and don't remember how to get there.

I'm sure you're probably right, but I know enough good B10 games make it to ESPN that it's fooled me for at least a couple years then that they generally carry bigger games and have their choice. Count me in to the "old guy" category, but the best sports viewing of my life was Big Monday back in the mid 80s with the Big East, then Big 10 then Big West games. You'd get to see St Johns, Gtown, Cuse, Providence, Nova, etc... then the best of the Big and generally then UNLV to end the night. 6 great hours of college bball. If that's true, that the biggest games are routinely no longer on ESPN, while it may make the conference more money, it certainly hurts the promotion of the conference nationally. Of course, we're talking about the same brain trust that decided to act solo on canceling, errr, delaying the football season this year while the SEC and ACC went forward, so who am I to question their knowledge?

If you're watching a B10 game on ESPN/2 on a weeknight it's probably Tuesday as the Big East takes precedent over the B10 on FS1. It's why Wisconsin/Michigan is on ESPN tonight and not FS1 due to Fox's obligation to show the Big East. It used to be called Super Tuesday back in the day but that has gone by the wayside.

If you're watching a B10 game on ESPN/2 on a weeknight it's probably Tuesday as the Big East takes precedent over the B10 on FS1. It's why Wisconsin/Michigan is on ESPN tonight and not FS1 due to Fox's obligation to show the Big East. It used to be called Super Tuesday back in the day but that has gone by the wayside.
and you're telling me it's complete irony that that's probaby the best/biggest B10 game of the week on ESPN, because it happened to be scheduled on a Tuesday? Sure seem to be alot that fall in that category.

and you're telling me it's complete irony that that's probaby the best/biggest B10 game of the week on ESPN, because it happened to be scheduled on a Tuesday? Sure seem to be alot that fall in that category.

Michigan/Minnesota was likely the best B10 game played last week (16 vs 9) and was played on BTN. The B10's rotation on ESPN during the week has decreased drastically in the last 3-4 years due to the B10's contract with Fox. Deal with it.

Michigan/Minnesota was likely the best B10 game played last week (16 vs 9) and was played on BTN. The B10's rotation on ESPN during the week has decreased drastically in the last 3-4 years due to the B10's contract with Fox. Deal with it.
As it currently stands, I don't have FS1. Scheduling snafu when I switched to Sling. But honestly, I didn't feel like I'd missed that many of the best B10 games. I've been watching IL, Iowa, MSU, and WI but I believe all on ESPN. Now you'd be right, I've noticed I've missed some IU games, but that tells me something, and that's what I've been trying to deal with for years now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cavanagh
Wrong. Keady holds a 21-20 lead hard to head against Knight. Doesn’t surprise me to see you are ignorant of their respective records.

Knight coached at Indiana 8 years before Keady arrived dipshit. Read before getting bent out of shape. The poster never said Knight had a better H2H record against Keady, rather Knight had a winning record against PURDUE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT