ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
I know many on here like to think of IU as the big brother, but the Purdue games this year are super important to our program and should be to CAM. Folks are fond of saying the IU game is PU's season, but for us The PU games just may be this year. With our schedule, we may well need to sweep them to get to the NCAA tournament and I think we need to anyway, just to make a statement in state. I hope we see that kind of effort from our guys this week.

Last edited:
I know many on here like to think of IU as the big brother, but the Purdue games this year are super important to our program and should be to CAM. Folks are found of saying the IU game is PU's season, but for us The PU games just may be this year. With our schedule, we may well need to sweep them to get to the NCAA tournament and I think we need to anyway, just to make a statement in state. I hope we see that kind of effort from our guys this week.

Winning the pu game is always nice and I agree more important this season to reestablish the program from an in-state recruiting standpoint. AM lost a couple of recruits the he should not have and that needs to stop quickly.

The fact remains that IU has a lot more work to do than just winning the pu games. IMO that means finding new leadership.

Reactions: Wiedersehen
I know many on here like to think of IU as the big brother, but the Purdue games this year are super important to our program and should be to CAM. Folks are fond of saying the IU game is PU's season, but for us The PU games just may be this year. With our schedule, we may well need to sweep them to get to the NCAA tournament and I think we need to anyway, just to make a statement in state. I hope we see that kind of effort from our guys this week.

We’ve lost 7 in a row (4 in Bloomington) and 10 of 11 to those guys. The team damn well better be and should be ready to play on Thursday night. Has anyone on our current roster beat Purdue?

Archie has not beat PU yet: that is a problem. He needs to be winning at least 50% of the time against PU.

Fair points about expecting great effort and motivation from the team. I expect IU to come out and play like their season depends on it.

But I don’t think it is a must win game for CAM as far as his job is concerned. I believe he is here at least a another season or two no matter if we win or lose to Purdue.

If they aren’t up for this game, why the hell did they come to IU??? The only person on the entire bench that has beat PU is Boss. Think about that!!!
honest question...does this game (IU/PU) even mean as much to the young iphone kids, like it did to us old timers? I went to high school deep in enemy territory and when IU lost to Purdue, I didn't even want to go to school the next day, knowing all the hazing that was waiting for me. Does this element even exist anymore with the young crowd?

If Archie Miller loses both games to Purdue he will be fired. If Archie is 0-7 vs Purdue in a 4 year span and has 0 NCAA Tournament Appearances there can’t be any way he stays or Scott Dolson and IU has absolutely 0 interest in a good basketball program.

honest question...does this game (IU/PU) even mean as much to the young iphone kids, like it did to us old timers? I went to high school deep in enemy territory and when IU lost to Purdue, I didn't even want to go to school the next day, knowing all the hazing that was waiting for me. Does this element even exist anymore with the young crowd?
Good question, not sure it does.

Reactions: kkott
Do you think we lost Furst and Kaufman because of Purdue's dominance these last four years? I really wanted to those guys at IU.

Do you think we lost Furst and Kaufman because of Purdue's dominance these last four years? I really wanted to those guys at IU.

I don't think it has the effect that some think. I never got the feeling that Furst and IU had huge interest in one another. I don't think Furst strongly considered IU and never thought IU really prioritized him. Kaufman's been pretty open about his recruitment since committing. Says he liked Purdue because Purdue sold him on playing a more perimeter-oriented role while IU wanted him to play more as a PF.

I don't think it has the effect that some think. I never got the feeling that Furst and IU had huge interest in one another. I don't think Furst strongly considered IU and never thought IU really prioritized him. Kaufman's been pretty open about his commitment since committing. Says he liked Purdue because Purdue sold him on playing a more perimeter-oriented role while IU wanted him to play more as a PF.
Thx for the insights.

Reactions: cshartle123
I don't know, but I do know it can't help. I think probably both of them would say no it didn't, but I also think it might have a subconscious impact. Everyone wants to be associated with a winner, so I think although folks might not admit to it, it might have more influence than they think. I don't believe for a moment that RMK's recruiting would have been as successful if he didn't have NCs and a gaudy reputation and winning % to back it up.

Reactions: tkejones

no not at all, I am of the last generation of passion. It is just another game on the schedule, to young IU fans that is. PU takes it a lot more serious.

Young IU fans have never seen Bob Knight or a good IU, no passion for a reason.

That is a great question/point, and if I'm answering honestly, no, I don't think it does. I think most of these guys subscribe to the belief in "their brand" and that school allegiances and rivalries aren't as important. But, the way the ESPN hype machine works, I do know that Duke v UNC still means something down here, and I think if we were doing a better job of upholding our end of the bargain, IU v PU would mean more to them. It's easy to dismiss it as an old notion if my school/team has gotten their ass handed to them 7 straight times or whatever it is. I also believe it's meant more to the PU kids for quite awhile than it has to our guys.

If Archie Miller loses both games to Purdue he will be fired. If Archie is 0-7 vs Purdue in a 4 year span and has 0 NCAA Tournament Appearances there can’t be any way he stays or Scott Dolson and IU has absolutely 0 interest in a good basketball program.

AM and other coaches will get this year as a pass. But absent C19 he would be gone assuming there isn't some miracle turnaround. The PU games are an important L or W but nothing compared to what the game means in WL. He would/will be fired for overall performance not the pu games.

He will get another season whether we like it or not.

That is a great question/point, and if I'm answering honestly, no, I don't think it does. I think most of these guys subscribe to the belief in "their brand" and that school allegiances and rivalries aren't as important. But, the way the ESPN hype machine works, I do know that Duke v UNC still means something down here, and I think if we were doing a better job of upholding our end of the bargain, IU v PU would mean more to them. It's easy to dismiss it as an old notion if my school/team has gotten their ass handed to them 7 straight times or whatever it is. I also believe it's meant more to the PU kids for quite awhile than it has to our guys.
Part of the problem may line in the fact that both programs have gone through ups and downs periods recently where neither team has been really good at the same time for over 20 years now. When was the last time both teams played as ranked teams? It might mean more if there was more on the line.

Reactions: kkott
AM and other coaches will get this year as a pass.
Do you mean “our other coaches” or “other coaches around the country?”

Just curious, as that was the common take on football coaches, yet, as we’ve seen, even programs as noteworthy as Auburn and Texas didn’t scruple to pull the trigger.

EDIT. Decided to use the word “scruple.”

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

Just curious, as that was the common take on football coaches, yet, as we’ve seen, even programs as noteworthy as Auburn and Texas didn’t feel any compunction about pulling the trigger.

Nationally, and obviously this is not an "all" thing. Maybe I am wrong but I don't see IU pulling the trigger this season especially in SDs first year.

Reactions: Radio Zero
I'll have to find it. It was posted on one the threads about Trey around his commitment date.

Edit: Here you go
Nice article, but it didn’t say what you reported. The article talks about him wanting to play the 3 at Purdue. The article does not say that IU wanted him as a 4.

Nice article, but it didn’t say what you reported. The article talks about him wanting to play the 3 at Purdue. The article does not say that IU wanted him as a 4.

This has been a common narrative on this board for some time. That AM showed him clips of TJD and how IU would use him. This apparently tipped his decision.

I have no idea if it is accurate but that was a popular position at the time.

Just curious, as that was the common take on football coaches, yet, as we’ve seen, even programs as noteworthy as Auburn and Texas didn’t scruple to pull the trigger.

EDIT. Decided to use the word “scruple.”
The lack of good candidates makes these decisions harder. Look at Michigan with Harbaugh.

This has been a common narrative on this board for some time. That AM showed him clips of TJD and how IU would use him. This apparently tipped his decision.

I have no idea if it is accurate but that was a popular position at the time.
He said just that in his botched commitment interview. It’s dead on accurate. He wanted to play in the 3 spot. Point blank.

It’s pretty widely accepted that IU pitched him as a post player. Why would Kaufman go in depth about playing the 3 (specifically mentioning it) if all the other schools were also recruiting him as a 3? (hint; they weren’t).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT