ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue today...

I agree with everything except that this is "an easy team to understand".....Look, no team is going to come out and play hard for 20 straight games....but holy hell, you're right...it's been like 50% of the time for 3 years with this staff & team......now...two straight games where the team showed up to play....and the coach being wild & crazy on the sidelines.....gotta have it. Hope it's there Thursday night.....

As to the 15 point win.......no way. A 15 point loss is far more likely. But I'd love a 1 point win. I just wish CAM & our guys would take some inspiration from RMK about playing Purdue:

"If you don't want to play, get the f*** out of here....I'm tired of this s***. I'm sick and f***ing
tired of losing to Purdue.....I'm not here to f*** around this week....I am not here to get my ass beat. This is absolute f***ing bulls***. I had to sit around all year with an 8 and 10 record in this f***ing league.....(Y)ou will not put me in that f***ing position again................"

Along these lines....I don't know if any of you saw the Illinois-Nebraska game last night...

So here's Nebraska, 2-13 in conference, playing at Illinois on a Tuesday night, without Cam Mack, who was out sick. Absolutely no chance to win the game. They get behind 12 points early on, because Illinois is just better. But they just keep playing their asses off. And they end up tied at 31-31 with 30 seconds to go in the 1st half. Then Illinois hits 2 late 3s including one from about 80' at the buzzer.

So you think, well that was fun, now Illinois will come out & put them away....but they don't, and it's a competitive half until about 5-6 minutes to go when Illinois gets a pretty good lead. So both teams start getting pissed off, especially Illinois because Nebraska won't quit being a pain in the ass, even with a minute to go and down 10. There's almost a fight at that point. And nobody was playing dirty....they would just not give up when they were supposed to. One play I really liked......an Illinois guy and a Nebraska guy had a tie-up and neither would let go of the ball even after the whistle. A ref had to get between them and pry the ball away. They weren't talking at each other, and nobody came close to throwing a punch. They just were not going to let the other guy have the ball.

So that's what I want to see from IU....playing on the edge, being a pain in the ass to the other side...not giving up.

...and slower, and less conditioned. That's why I think it would be a good strategy to try and beat him down the floor and get it to TJD early and try and get fouls on him. A lot of times the defender being a little bigger can work to your advantage in drawing a foul, and it certainly works to your advantage if he's tired. We could also try and get Deron on him. He'll get fouls, but he's got a solid post game and he might be able to get as good as he gives. I think they'd be a much easier team to beat if we could play them with Williams on the bench for a good part of the game. Not to mention it helps get us to the line.

I'm tired of PU beating us. Archie's never beaten them and they've won 9-10. That is just ridiculous against a supposed rival.
Sure, that sounds like a good plan, but it always has and we’ve never been able to make it work. I also think Williams is in much better condition than you give him credit for, and he’s strong as hell. Deron might be able to get some points in spot duty, but he’ll struggle defensively. They’re just a difficult match up for IU, made more so by how hard they usually play and how easily we turn off the intensity when tough times arrive.

Reactions: IUgradman
My point was the Knight thing sucked away any benefit that the "Home game, big crowd, biggest rival, national television audience" that you are arguing was supposed to benefit IU.

"a meek, uninspired, undisciplined performance and the very antithesis of resilience"
...in other words lack of energy and focus

Those of us who were there will tell you the atmosphere was odd and distracted...to say the least. The game was secondary at least to the fans.

For goodness sakes.............I have now officially heard every excuse possible for this team over the last 3 years. As I recall, the crowd was pretty damn loud at the beginning of the game. It wasn't until the team laid a turd near the end of the 1st half that the energy left the building.

"Damn, all the excitement around this place is sucking the energy right out of me". lol
Yeah, it’s a pretty amazing attempt at excuse making. There was tons of energy in AH and the crowd was ready to lift the roof off the place, but we just didn’t show up. I realize some people were probably distracted by the Knight appearance but most of them aren’t likely diehards for the program as much as BK disciples. Like I said, nothing about Knight’s appearance impacted the game at all. Purdue just took it to us and we backed away.

Yeah, it’s a pretty amazing attempt at excuse making. There was tons of energy in AH and the crowd was ready to lift the roof off the place, but we just didn’t show up. I realize some people were probably distracted by the Knight appearance but most of them aren’t likely diehards for the program as much as BK disciples. Like I said, nothing about Knight’s appearance impacted the game at all. Purdue just took it to us and we backed away.

lame 893

I think that's quite perceptive and I agree. It was a typically overblown ceremony organized by people who were focused on how good it made them look, not the fact that we were there to win a game.

The RMK appearance at the baseball game last spring was handled much better, and probably more to his liking. I sadly suspect he didn't have much of a say in (or even awareness of) what happened at the Purdue game.
Nonsense. Patrick and the players orchestrated everything that happened with Knight and Karen’s ok. You could see the joy in his face.

Reactions: T.M.P. and Brockway
It will be worth a bunch of looks, but Williams is much bigger and stronger than Davis, and that will again be a problem for IU.
Williams still gets gassed easily too. We need to play uptempo.

Not sure that’s our strength . . .

What games have you been watching? Getting out and running so that they can get some easier, transition baskets are crucial to this team. Not playing fast, ala Crean, but playing uptempo, on the front foot. They go through those massive scoring droughts when they have to play slow, half court offense.

Reactions: T.M.P. and sluggo69
He responded to mushroomgod.

So, whenever he disagrees with you, you get to count that as a response and add it to count?

Christ, I think you're both psychotic.

He was responding to me as he has done on a daily basis. This is his stalker MO, go sob to him.

We know Ordy is psychotic, you are correct about that.

For goodness sakes.............I have now officially heard every excuse possible for this team over the last 3 years. As I recall, the crowd was pretty damn loud at the beginning of the game. It wasn't until the team laid a turd near the end of the 1st half that the energy left the building.

"Damn, all the excitement around this place is sucking the energy right out of me". lol

Don’t forget excuse #1854:

“This is Purdue’s Super Bowl. We have much higher aspirations. We don’t place much focus on this game because we have other goals.”

What games have you been watching? Getting out and running so that they can get some easier, transition baskets are crucial to this team. Not playing fast, ala Crean, but playing uptempo, on the front foot. They go through those massive scoring droughts when they have to play slow, half court offense.
In a place like Mackey where the crowd will be loud and into it, pushing the pace could easily blow up on us. Not sure it’s our best way to go at them.

Don’t forget excuse #1854:

“This is Purdue’s Super Bowl. We have much higher aspirations. We don’t place much focus on this game because we have other goals.”
Yeah, that’s always a reliable one. “Beating IU is their Super Bowl and makes their season. Oh, and that awful IU Sucks chant is so mean to our players!” They flow like wine at a wedding.

In a place like Mackey where the crowd will be loud and into it, pushing the pace could easily blow up on us. Not sure it’s our best way to go at them.

I'm not really talking about pushing the pace as in a break, I'm just talking about looking for an early post opportunity with TJD, Brunk or Deron before the defense and help is set. All one has to do is watch how Iowa looks to get the ball to Garza. It's an early clear out 1 side for a post opportunity, before you start your offense. Now Garza is the best in the league at posting, but again, it's easier to do with a side cleared out than defenders packing it in. If we are determined to get the ball to TJD and our posts early and often like Iowa does, we can and will get more post touches and shots. It's really a simple thing: quick post opportunity once you get down the floor and then start your offense if that fails.

I'm not really talking about pushing the pace as in a break, I'm just talking about looking for an early post opportunity with TJD, Brunk or Deron before the defense and help is set. All one has to do is watch how Iowa looks to get the ball to Garza. It's an early clear out 1 side for a post opportunity, before you start your offense. Now Garza is the best in the league at posting, but again, it's easier to do with a side cleared out than defenders packing it in. If we are determined to get the ball to TJD and our posts early and often like Iowa does, we can and will get more post touches and shots. It's really a simple thing: quick post opportunity once you get down the floor and then start your offense if that fails.
I think you have to approach it that way, but look what Purdue did to Iowa, who played to their strength in feeding Garza on the block. It sounds good but IU hasn’t shown an ability to take it from the drawing board to the court. Hope that changes at WL.

I think you have to approach it that way, but look what Purdue did to Iowa, who played to their strength in feeding Garza on the block. It sounds good but IU hasn’t shown an ability to take it from the drawing board to the court. Hope that changes at WL.

I didn't watch PU v IA, but PU scored 104.... that's on IA's D, not O. No idea of Garza got Williams in foul trouble, but I don't know how that guy doesn't get every defender in foul trouble; love how he plays. It may not work; attempting to draw fouls sometimes doesn't, but I'd at least like to see us adjust to try. I don't ever see us looking inside early or clearing out for TJD early and I think the more he touches the ball, especially in good scoring opps, the better we are.

I didn't watch PU v IA, but PU scored 104.... that's on IA's D, not O. No idea of Garza got Williams in foul trouble, but I don't know how that guy doesn't get every defender in foul trouble; love how he plays. It may not work; attempting to draw fouls sometimes doesn't, but I'd at least like to see us adjust to try. I don't ever see us looking inside early or clearing out for TJD early and I think the more he touches the ball, especially in good scoring opps, the better we are.
I think we should try and I think it’s how Miller wants to play, I just think we’ve lacked the discipline to stay with it. One thing is for sure; whatever we’ve done against Purdue recently hasn’t worked. Have to change it up if we want to win.

Reactions: IUgradman
I think we should try and I think it’s how Miller wants to play, I just think we’ve lacked the discipline to stay with it. One thing is for sure; whatever we’ve done against Purdue recently hasn’t worked. Have to change it up if we want to win.

I would agree Archie wants to see TJD get more touches, but I think he's expecting those touches to come within the offense. Most often TJD and Brunk are coming out and setting screens at the start of our half court offense, then popping out, then going in to post. I don't feel like an early clear out and post is something he's told them to do, or else I think we'd see it more. To me, IA is very intentional about it, but also Garza is probably the best player in the BT (country?) at establishing great position, locking his man down and presenting as a target. I'd just like to see us also be intentional about it, even if TJD isn't as good at establishing his position. Just trying to manufacture ways to get him 3-4 more shot attempts a game, and possibly put one of PU's bigs on the bench. That would change things up a bit.

Oh my God. Not sure anyone has ever seen a crowd become extra loud when a rival runs the floor and lays it up to the embarrassment of the home team. But whatever, if you think so.

The fouls refs are most likely to call in our favor at Mackey will be fouls when IU is attempting a layup. We should push the ball as much as possible and dare the refs not to call fouls if Purdue blasts us on layups. What else can our guards do consistently -- (ahem) shoot 3-pointers ??

Plus, I agree with that other poster in a different thread that suggested Jackson-Davis might be better able to run the floor than Williams. The only good Williams is a gassed Williams. Jackson-Davis can't run like Cody Zeller but he can definitely run better than Williams.

Oh my God. Not sure anyone has ever seen a crowd become extra loud when a rival runs the floor and lays it up to the embarrassment of the home team. But whatever, if you think so.

The fouls refs are most likely to call in our favor at Mackey will be fouls when IU is attempting a layup. We should push the ball as much as possible and dare the refs not to call fouls if Purdue blasts us on layups. What else can our guards do consistently -- (ahem) shoot 3-pointers ??

Plus, I agree with that other poster in a different thread that suggested Jackson-Davis might be better able to run the floor than Williams. The only good Williams is a gassed Williams. Jackson-Davis can't run like Cody Zeller but he can definitely run better than Williams.
Not sure where you’re going with this babble. The point was that a pushed pace is more likely to generate sloppy play, which then cascade in a hostile environment. If that happens, we end playing from behind, and that’s not been a strength. But, back to your dissertation on lay ups. Lol.

Not sure where you’re going with this babble. The point was that a pushed pace is more likely to generate sloppy play, which then cascade in a hostile environment. If that happens, we end playing from behind, and that’s not been a strength. But, back to your dissertation on lay ups. Lol.
Except that your post No. 57 (to which I was responding) said absolutely nothing to the effect that "a pushed pace" might "generate sloppy play" which then (according to you) might"cascade in a hostile environment." You didn't say anything like that. You didn't even mumble it.

Your claim that you said something your visible words don't even approximate is impressive. I assume you're going to stroke yourself (one way or other) just thinking about how expressive you were.

Last edited:
I think that's quite perceptive and I agree. It was a typically overblown ceremony organized by people who were focused on how good it made them look, not the fact that we were there to win a game.

The RMK appearance at the baseball game last spring was handled much better, and probably more to his liking. I sadly suspect he didn't have much of a say in (or even awareness of) what happened at the Purdue game.
You're very misinformed. Do you often speak when you have no clue what you're talking about?

Or it may not ..

You're very misinformed. Do you often speak when you have no clue what you're talking about?

I said "I suspect." I have no direct information. Do you? You've spoken to Coach Knight about his appearance?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT