ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue/MSU

I doubt you know anything about IU’s middling ranked graduate schools, but they’re not considered upper echelon like Purdue’s are. Not close. And there’s no comparison of the undergrad experience. Purdue is universally considered to be the far superior university. Backwoods Bloomington is a nice country town, but it’s such a small town atmosphere that most people feel like they’re on a camping trip.

And Purdue has superior football and basketball programs in large part due to the superior coaching of Brohm and Painter, who regularly beat IU. It’s gotten to the point where the Purdue versus IU “rivalry” really doesn’t mean much anymore because of how uncompetitive IU is in the high profile sports. Purdue football recruiting is light years ahead of IU, and Painter can easily get who he wants to compete for Big ten championships and regular whippings of IU. Now, if Purdue ever gets futbol, IU might win. At least in the early years.
I graduated from IU's law school, and IU has two highly ranked law schools. PU doesn't have a law or medical school. I've been to PU's campus, and it is dog poo: I've seen better looking MAC schools. I'm actually embarrassed for PU regarding its campus. IU's campus is regularly ranked as one of the most beautiful campuses and best social scenes, and it blows PU's campus away.

Painter would have been fired with his record at IU. He still has as many Big Ten titles as Crean, and he has been at PU for 5 more years. He can't recruit and sucks in the NCAA's. If you are impressed with overachieving at Mackey and winning football games there, Painter is your guy. Painter has won like 8 of the last 13, and that was with Crean for a majority of the games. Actually do something at a national level before you start acting high and mighty, whether recruiting or the NCAA's.

Reactions: MG80
I doubt you know anything about IU’s middling ranked graduate schools, but they’re not considered upper echelon like Purdue’s are. Not close. And there’s no comparison of the undergrad experience. Purdue is universally considered to be the far superior university. Backwoods Bloomington is a nice country town, but it’s such a small town atmosphere that most people feel like they’re on a camping trip.

And Purdue has superior football and basketball programs in large part due to the superior coaching of Brohm and Painter, who regularly beat IU. It’s gotten to the point where the Purdue versus IU “rivalry” really doesn’t mean much anymore because of how uncompetitive IU is in the high profile sports. Purdue football recruiting is light years ahead of IU, and Painter can easily get who he wants to compete for Big ten championships and regular whippings of IU. Now, if Purdue ever gets futbol, IU might win. At least in the early years.
Very sad on your part for being on this message board after a big win by your team. Still shows that PU fans care more about IU and what they are doing than caring about their own program. Funny was watching something the other day about the most beautiful campuses I the country and IU ranked 11th but did not see PU even mentioned.

Reactions: campc
Very sad on your part for being on this message board after a big win by your team. Still shows that PU fans care more about IU and what they are doing than caring about their own program. Funny was watching something the other day about the most beautiful campuses I the country and IU ranked 11th but did not see PU even mentioned.
PU can't do anything in the NCAA's. So, they have to be satisfied with winning the Big Ten as much as Crean did and the IU rivalry: it is all they have. The big name recruits in Indiana don't even give Painter the time of day.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what meth does to people.

I graduated from IU's law school, and IU has two highly ranked law schools. PU doesn't have a law or medical school. I've been to PU's campus, and it is dog poo: I've seen better looking MAC schools. I'm actually embarrassed for PU regarding its campus. IU's campus is regularly ranked as one of the most beautiful campuses and best social scenes, and it blows PU's campus away.

Painter would have been fired with his record at IU. He still has as many Big Ten titles as Crean, and he has been at PU for 5 more years. He can't recruit and sucks in the NCAA's. If you are impressed with overachieving at Mackey and winning football games there, Painter is your guy. Painter has won like 8 of the last 13, and that was with Crean for a majority of the games. Actually do something at a national level before you start acting high and mighty, whether recruiting or the NCAA's.
I seriously doubt you could find either of IU’s law schools with a compass and a flashlight, let alone attend one, but no one considers them highly ranked. The Bloomington one is no better than 5th in the Big Ten, while Indy barely makes the top 100 nationally. As for undergrad, only Nebraska is easier to get into than IU based on objective ratings from a variety of academically focused publications.

Yes, the campus and country burg atmosphere is quaint, but people from bigger towns and cities like to visit little towns, not live and go to school there.

Sports wise, Purdue dominates IU in football and basketball. IU has never done anything nationally in football and you weren’t alive when they were last relevant in basketball. Brohm is well ahead of your high school / trade school coach, and Painter has achieved at a much greater level than Archie or Crean. His record is far better than Crean’s was and IU kept him for 9 years, and he’s much better than Archie, as the scoreboard keeps showing.

Talk about embracing the average. That could be IU’s athletic and academic motto!

Please ban this stupid PU fan who has no life so he comes to an IU board after his team wins a big game. What a sad existence this guy must have to come on here to brag about PU campus and university. Like I have said before all PU fans care about is what is going on at IU and not what there team is doing.

With all respect to IU, Purdue has only increased the distance between the two schools academically over the last couple decades, and that’s been the case with Mitch, too. Not saying IU isn’t solid academically, but Purdue is at another level and it’s become more exclusive in admissions while being more affordable. Check any independent review of US colleges and universities and this reality is consistently in evidence.

That Purdue has better football and basketball programs only makes it sweeter!

This is simply an ignorant post from an embittered Iu-obsessed troll. Both schools are excellent from an academic and research standpoint, they compliment each other by design. Their entrance standards and student score profiles are virtually identical.

The advantage IU has, besides the obvious campus, cultural, restaurant and bar scene and better looking students aspects is that most IU majors tend to support business and corporate advancement better than the techy majors. This is why so many PU grads work for IU grads and perhaps why PU grads like this one tend to be so bitter with respect to IU discussions.

Please ban this stupid PU fan who has no life so he comes to an IU board after his team wins a big game. What a sad existence this guy must have to come on here to brag about PU campus and university. Like I have said before all PU fans care about is what is going on at IU and not what there team is doing.

No no...let him go. The embittered vitriol is awesome.

I seriously doubt you could find either of IU’s law schools with a compass and a flashlight, let alone attend one, but no one considers them highly ranked. The Bloomington one is no better than 5th in the Big Ten, while Indy barely makes the top 100 nationally. As for undergrad, only Nebraska is easier to get into than IU based on objective ratings from a variety of academically focused publications.

Yes, the campus and country burg atmosphere is quaint, but people from bigger towns and cities like to visit little towns, not live and go to school there.

Sports wise, Purdue dominates IU in football and basketball. IU has never done anything nationally in football and you weren’t alive when they were last relevant in basketball. Brohm is well ahead of your high school / trade school coach, and Painter has achieved at a much greater level than Archie or Crean. His record is far better than Crean’s was and IU kept him for 9 years, and he’s much better than Archie, as the scoreboard keeps showing.

Talk about embracing the average. That could be IU’s athletic and academic motto!
Well, I graduated from one of IU's law school, passed the bar in Indiana, and am a practicing lawyer. If you haven't done any of the aforementioned, you should shut your mouth about stuff you know nothing about. IUB's law schools is top 40 and IU Indy is top 100. PU doesn't even have one. Most of the highest ranked law schools are private. In the Big 10 for undergrad, there is Northwestern, Michigan, and everybody else: it is cute you believe otherwise.

IU has one of the most beautiful campuses and best social scenes. PU's campus and social scene do not come close. PU's campus is dog poo. PU's women don't compare to IU's. Bloomington has a bigger population than Lafayette, lol.

Basketball wise, IU has actually won national championships, while PU has not. You can call them dusty, but they exist. PU is a never has been. Painter has faced Archie twice, lol. Painter sucks at recruiting, and he sucks in the NCAA's. Painter should have been fired a long time ago. Your court is named after a coach that couldn't even make the Final Four. Once again, show you can recruit and win at a national level, and then we will talk.

PU football is a .500 program. Brohm is the most over rated, over hyped below .500 coach in the country. IU won 4 Buckets in a row very recently. PU football does not have the history that IU basketball does, yet PU fans like you like to pretend it does. Brohm goes 6-7 and gets the biggest ass whipping in bowl game history and here you are, lol.

Well, I graduated from one of IU's law school, passed the bar in Indiana, and am a practicing lawyer. If you haven't done any of the aforementioned, you should shut your mouth about stuff you know nothing about. IUB's law schools is top 40 and IU Indy is top 100. PU doesn't even have one. Most of the highest ranked law schools are private. In the Big 10 for undergrad, there is Northwestern, Michigan, and everybody else: it is cute you believe otherwise.

IU has one of the most beautiful campuses and best social scenes. PU's campus and social scene do not come close. PU's campus is dog poo. PU's women don't compare to IU's. Bloomington has a bigger population than Lafayette, lol.

Basketball wise, IU has actually won national championships, while PU has not. You can call them dusty, but they exist. PU is a never has been. Painter has faced Archie twice, lol. Painter sucks at recruiting, and he sucks in the NCAA's. Painter should have been fired a long time ago. Your court is named after a coach that couldn't even make the Final Four. Once again, show you can recruit and win at a national level, and then we will talk.

PU football is a .500 program. Brohm is the most over rated, over hyped below .500 coach in the country. IU won 4 Buckets in a row very recently. PU football does not have the history that IU basketball does, yet PU fans like you like to pretend it does. Brohm goes 6-7 and gets the biggest ass whipping in bowl game history and here you are, lol.

USNWR law school ranking has IU at #25. Basically tied with Iowa behind UM and NW.

I came to wish the Hoosiers good luck next Saturday against the Spartans of East Lansing. Purdue would greatly appreciate it if the Hoosiers would kindly defeat Michigan State.

I came to wish the Hoosiers good luck next Saturday against the Spartans of East Lansing. Purdue would greatly appreciate it if the Hoosiers would kindly defeat Michigan State.
Thank you, sir.

We'll do our best to oblige, although not for the purpose of your benefit specifically.

Reactions: BigTimeAt69

I graduated from both: PU81; IU84. IU had the better campus in 84. but if you have not been to PU lately, you may want to revisit. PU has been on a mission to improve and the results have been great. I live in Michigan and for the past 10 years have not known a family on campus visits that did not come back and tell me what a nice campus PU has.

Both IU and PU have their areas of academic excellence. The state set up the schools that way and it is good.

As for Painter; I would take him every day over the dumpster fire of coaches that IU has had since Knight. And while I grew up an IU and Knight fan, in the end, the man lost it; completely, totally and without question.

I really wish the teams would get to 1 and 2 in the B1G every year. then the rivalry and the programs would have national significance. I an jealous of MSU/Mich the past couple of years. Sad thing, most Mich fans don't care about round-ball.

I graduated from both: PU81; IU84. IU had the better campus in 84. but if you have not been to PU lately, you may want to revisit. PU has been on a mission to improve and the results have been great. I live in Michigan and for the past 10 years have not known a family on campus visits that did not come back and tell me what a nice campus PU has.

Both IU and PU have their areas of academic excellence. The state set up the schools that way and it is good.

As for Painter; I would take him every day over the dumpster fire of coaches that IU has had since Knight. And while I grew up an IU and Knight fan, in the end, the man lost it; completely, totally and without question.

I really wish the teams would get to 1 and 2 in the B1G every year. then the rivalry and the programs would have national significance. I an jealous of MSU/Mich the past couple of years. Sad thing, most Mich fans don't care about round-ball.

Both campuses have seen improvements in the last 5 years, PU sort of an overall decorating and landscaping while IU has reworked old campus with a spectacular old campus brick pathways.

You mean like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet? A public university is not a business. Dumb.
Where have you been? IU is very much run like a business. McRobbie has said as much. While I worked there they sure operated like a regular business because the state funds are literally a small portion of their budget. They usually used that against their employees.

IU would have fired Belein after 4-5 years. All of the UofM donor Champions that I know were disappointed in year 1; discouraged after 3 and calling for his head after 4.
Absolutely the truth. Now he is heralded as the top 5 coach nationally.

Um....ok? How long has the football coach been there? Regular whippings?

Last edited:
Both campuses have seen improvements in the last 5 years, PU sort of an overall decorating and landscaping while IU has reworked old campus with a spectacular old campus brick pathways.
I agree. But to say PU sucks is detached from reality. Mich campus sucks; disjointed, mixed with student slums. MSU is too sprawling to be practical. IU and PU beat both. Hands down, no question.

Go pound sand dumbass! And quit salivating over IU's five national titles. It's not a good look for you.

The state of indiana designed the two large in state institutions in a way that resulted in iu law and med schools being complimented by purdue's engineering programs.

This is a good thing for the state and those born here. Being from New Jersey, I'd consider it a very good thing for indiana residents.

Last edited:
I agree. But to say PU sucks is detached from reality. Mich campus sucks; disjointed, mixed with student slums. MSU is too sprawling to be practical. IU and PU beat both. Hands down, no question.
Outside of tearing them down and starting over, there is not much you can do with boring brick buildings with no architecture.

Michigan's campus is beautiful. I don't know what campus you were looking at. PU's campus isn't close to UM's.

Outside of tearing them down and starting over, there is not much you can do with boring brick buildings with no architecture.

Michigan's campus is beautiful. I don't know what campus you were looking at. PU's campus isn't close to UM's.
Agree to disagree. I live 15 minutes from there. My 4 kids have played hockey at Yost and done gymnastics there for the past 20 years. It is a far cry from IU or Purdue's campuses. Lifelong Mich residents who tour college campuses with their HS kids tell me the same.

Agree to disagree. I live 15 minutes from there. My 4 kids have played hockey at Yost and done gymnastics there for the past 20 years. It is a far cry from IU or Purdue's campuses. Lifelong Mich residents who tour college campuses with their HS kids tell me the same.
By itself, UM's law school, especially the library, blows away anything on PU's campus. UM's buildings actually have architecture. My neighbor growing up, basically my surrogate older brother, went to UM for undergrad, and I visited a couple of times. I was very impressed. PU's campus is a bunch of boring brick buildings with no architecture.

Reactions: Lazz81
By itself, UM's law school, especially the library, blows away anything on PU's campus. UM's buildings actually have architecture. My neighbor growing up, basically my surrogate older brother, went to UM for undergrad, and I visited a couple of times. I was very impressed. PU's campus is a bunch of boring brick buildings with no architecture.
I agree the law school at UofM is good. You visited a couple of times. Me, hundreds and have heard the opinions of Mich residents who have visited UofM multiple times and taken their kids to PU. Your couple of time experiences on Mich campus fail to dissuade me from my opinion.

I’m as down on IU as any grad right now but this post is just laughable. IU and Purdue are 5-5 against each other in football over the last decade. IU and Purdue are 16-16 against each other in basketball since the millennium started. You don’t believe me? Look it up. Lafayette and West Lafayette are not a cultural mecca. They are like many college towns that are overlayed on top of a normal Midwest town. They have same assortment of Chuck-E-Cheese establishments, Red Lobsters and college bars.

Get out and see some other places, dude.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
This story was almost believable until the part where someone would knowingly be your friend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT