ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue loses senior captain for the year

YOTHN

All-American
Jun 20, 2014
LB Markus Bailey down due to knee injury. By far their best defensive player. That doesn't help them going into this TCU game. Good thing for them that TCU has been a whole lot of meh as of late.

Reactions: vesuvius13
LB Markus Bailey down due to knee injury. By far their best defensive player. That doesn't help them going into this TCU game. Good thing for them that TCU has been a whole lot of meh as of late.

Now maybe the Brohm brothers will stop running their senior QB on student body right sweeps late in the game... They already have their built in excuse for what's about to happen to them...

Now maybe the Brohm brothers will stop running their senior QB on student body right sweeps late in the game... They already have their built in excuse for what's about to happen to them...

Are you talking about Sindelar? Yeah, he is concussion protocol so who knows if he will be playing this week. I feel like he will but only using my gut feeling.

Are you talking about Sindelar? Yeah, he is concussion protocol so who knows if he will be playing this week. I feel like he will but only using my gut feeling.

Yep.

Against NV I got the distinct feeling that his HC & OC were hoping he'd get dinged up by the way they were running him.

It's my understanding that they did the same thing against Vanderbilt late in the game, after the issue was no longer in doubt, and that's how he ended up with his concussion...

An injury to him gives them an excuse for what's about to happen to that donut hole offense they've recruited...

Those guys are cold and slick (the B bros...).

Don't know what Bailey's Redshirt Eligibility Status is , but hopefully he can get a 5th year, or Purdue can pull a Michigan State and get him a 6th year because the injury happened early in the year. Always enjoyed watching him play, because he plays with intensity, and doesn't act like a hot dog on the field.

PU doesn't seem to catching any breaks this season. I feel bad for Bailey as he has been very good for Purdue.
I never like it when somebody gets hurt. Especially s kid who is a first round talent. Oh wait a minute Purdue never had any of those guys until Brohm got there. They were completely deplete of talent. Any way tough break wish him luck and a full recovery hopefully it does not cost him too much at draft time.

Yep.

Against NV I got the distinct feeling that his HC & OC were hoping he'd get dinged up by the way they were running him.

It's my understanding that they did the same thing against Vanderbilt late in the game, after the issue was no longer in doubt, and that's how he ended up with his concussion...

An injury to him gives them an excuse for what's about to happen to that donut hole offense they've recruited...

Those guys are cold and slick (the B bros...).

My desire to see Indiana beat Purdue ends long before celebrating an injury to a Boilermaker student-athlete or, as in this case, positing a ridiculous conspiracy theory about a coach trying to injure his own player so he has an excuse for losing season.

Hoosiers are better than that!

My desire to see Indiana beat Purdue ends long before celebrating an injury to a Boilermaker student-athlete or, as in this case, positing a ridiculous conspiracy theory about a coach trying to injure his own player so he has an excuse for losing season.

Hoosiers are better than that!

Did you watch the end of the Nevada game?

How about the end of their Vanderbilt game?

Purdue is absurdly 1 dimensional and it will show during the big 10 schedule. You cant throw 60 times a game with zero rushing attack and expect to win. At some point teams will find a way to stop your passes and have no trouble with the runs

Reactions: 76-1
Purdue is absurdly 1 dimensional and it will show during the big 10 schedule. You cant throw 60 times a game with zero rushing attack and expect to win. At some point teams will find a way to stop your passes and have no trouble with the runs

Well, when their starting running back returns from his broken jaw, I’d suspect they will have some running game to speak of.

Reactions: codylance
Well, when their starting running back returns from his broken jaw, I’d suspect they will have some running game to speak of.
LOL. I like the connection between "broken jaw" and "to speak of." I bet he's tired of drinking protein shakes. And I appreciate your wishes for Bailey. That speaks well of IU 's fans. Any way, let's hope both team's players stay healthy the rest of the season.

Never like to see (or certainly not celebrate) any player getting injured. And wish this kid the best & good recovery.

But will say, PU or any team won’t cry for IU having injuries which are a part of the game.

All I really care about is IU giving it their best and pulling off more W’s!

Another bad team that has beaten us the last two years unfortunately. Maybe this is the year though

Bailey's loss is huge, no doubt.

Who knows what other injuries either side will suffer between now & then. That might decide matters.

All other things being even, as long as they have a healthy Sindelar & Moore we'll have to outscore them. RM has averaged 12 catches & 172 yds his first 2 games. Only 2 TDs, but lots resulting in 1st downs. They also have excellent targets in Bell & Hopkins, and somewhat less so in Anderson. Hopkins is very good, probably better than Hendershot (and I like Hendershot). Bell is averaging over 20 yds per catch. But RM is the key. Not many college players can dominate a game from the WR position.

We'll have a better chance to outscore them with Bailey out.

Our players are never cleared from the concussion protocol in a week. I see other schools having one week long concussions. I suppose every player could be potentially in the protocol after a game and show no symptoms a day later. It throws uncertainty either way into the team preparing for the game.

Our players are never cleared from the concussion protocol in a week. I see other schools having one week long concussions. I suppose every player could be potentially in the protocol after a game and show no symptoms a day later. It throws uncertainty either way into the team preparing for the game.

One thing about concussions is even after you are cleared to resume normal activity, mentally you can still be sluggish...certainly not the best situation for a QB facing a tough TCU defense.

Fred Glass

I expect them to beat TCU by two scores at home.

Reactions: _slabach
Coaches nor Fred Glass have any say in concussion protocol unless you are James Franklin. The medical staff. Has complete control of that. An athlete can return to limited practice only after all signs of concussion are gone, headache, nausea sensitivity to light, dizziness. Then a player can begin to run agilities other such activities. He or she is checked to make sure the athlete does not have any signs of concussion return. Then they are cleared for practice where they are continually monitored. Finally they are re-evaluated and then cleared to return to full activity. Vesuvius or any other coaches or medical please verify or correct any thing I have said or add anything I left out since I am not coaching this year I did not do my concussion video that is required.

Coaches nor Fred Glass have any say in concussion protocol unless you are James Franklin. The medical staff. Has complete control of that. An athlete can return to limited practice only after all signs of concussion are gone, headache, nausea sensitivity to light, dizziness. Then a player can begin to run agilities other such activities. He or she is checked to make sure the athlete does not have any signs of concussion return. Then they are cleared for practice where they are continually monitored. Finally they are re-evaluated and then cleared to return to full activity. Vesuvius or any other coaches or medical please verify or correct any thing I have said or add anything I left out since I am not coaching this year I did not do my concussion video that is required.
Brohm said today Sindelar is in the concussion protocol. Reporters then pointed out he practiced yesterday. Brohm mumbled something, smiled, and said he does what they tell him. He is trying to fool TCU. Sindelar will play. Brohm isn't going to make the people very happy that gamble for a living.

Do you mean "classy" like your Kickoff chant or classy like your Cancer sign? :confused::rolleyes::cool:

Well do you want an honest discussion? Because @MyTeamIsOnTheFloor will go to the Nebraska board and run smack, and when I tell him that this is a hear no evil see no evil board, he will claim that that is not the case and that it ended when Peegs left, but it very much is the case.

Hey myteamisonthefloor.. someone posted that this is not your dads Indiana, I noted that Indiana was pretty good and won a bowl when my dad was my age... banned.

I don’t get it with you guys. When we were 0-3 last year, suddenly you wanted to come to our board and talk.. @td75 in particular.. we go 6-6 and keep you guys at 5-7 and out of a bowl and it’s run to iu rivals hide and instaban.

Do you wanna be big boys and have a rivalry or do you want to live in mister Rogers land @Courtsensetwo??

To answer your question I’m more than willing to cop to some in our fan base doing stupid or classless things. On the premium board, I’d say 85% of posters think IU sucks shows a little brother mentality when we do it against people who aren’t IU.. I don’t even like it against IU. When I went there during the Brees years, we shook our keys and then built up to an ooooh... as the ball was kicked.

I also don’t like the first down bitch chant. It’s retarded. But fan bases have all types man. I’ve met Notre Dame fans who went to ND and are awesome to watch a game with .. one met Notre Dame fans who went to penn high school and are the biggest morons I’ve ever met.

When I was at IU for the 99 bucket game, I had a much more pleasant experience than any time we welcomed Illinois fans to Ross Ade.

Want the straight dope? I think IU can get 6 wins, the bucket and a bowl win this year.

Problem. this is a year when Indiana is going to lose a lot with players like coy cronk leaving (and no I was never one of the idiots who thought he was transferring to Purdue). While Purdue May win only 4-5 (I predicted 6-6 before the Bailey injury), the Purdue depth chart has 18 freshmen in the two deep. We have like two senior starters healthy right now.

Indiana graduates as many starting linemen this year as Purdue does in the next two. With Neal out and McCann likely out, the senior starting linemen this year is down to 1... converted DT now playing left guard Alex Criddle.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see IU win 6, win the bucket and win a bowl in a year where they are much older and have many more questions to answer after the year than Purdue ...

With 10 scholarship seniors and 11 scholarship juniors, 2020 and 2021 were always going to be Purdue’s years.

I am a realist about Purdue and IU. Last year, I took one look at the holes on defense and predicted 6-6, 2-2 start with a 1-3 start possible. This year? 6-6, 2-3 start likely (preseason, pre Bailey).

You guys will pistol whip Uconn next week,
Walk backwards to a win over Rutgers, and northwestern is vulnerable until they answer their QB questions. So I think 5-6 coming into the bucket game is likely. And honestly, if you can’t get a Purdue team this young, bombed out and depleted in the bucket, well if I were in your shoes, I’d email glass and ask why. Without Markus Bailey, we have some questions to answer. Not very likely that jones and Alexander combine to be anything near what Bailey and jones were.

It’s not an excuse, it’s more like if I was putting money on 6 wins for Purdue I might just decide not to bet either way. Especially with Maryland looking like f-ing maniacs.

A win is a win. If you guys come into our house I’m not gonna be like “but Bailey...” baileys loss is a logical reason why a lot of teams might beat us, but each team has had years to prepare a roster for this season. It was on Brohm to develop not only Jones, who has done well, but Jack smith as well. When Bailey goes down and Brohm brings up Jones and then starts talking about saloon Kieren Douglas, well.. to me, that means there was some combination of failure between smith, Brohm/holt or both.

Take runningback. Yes, Tario broke his jaw.. Horvath is the college version of Merrill hoge. Doerue is a beast who is still too young .. he’s thinking instead of reacting. But when you look at programs, I look at Evan Anderson, a redshirt freshman running back who left the program in the summer due to a family death. Problem is, before the death, he showed no indication that he was going to see the field any time soon. When a three star fails to develop like that, that costs you. I’ve seen plenty of boilers have a family member pass away and stick around and live their lives.. were he ready maybe he does. But he was probably not.

As a coach about to lose Markell and DJ, to me, you look at Anderson and say “if fuller goes down, we are screwed, time to get a juco.”

So there really are no excuses

This I am sure is an interesting subject among coaches off the record. I’m no expert but I can comment on getting the bell rung and trying to operate after the fact. Football/society (this is an opinion of mine) are trying to have it both ways because that right now, is what our American culture wants. We want to be concerned for the player who has a concussion so we go through a protocol. We wait until the “symptoms “ have wained and then clear them to play. Is that really concern and care? After the ringing of the bell so to speak, aren’t they MORE susceptible to concussions in the future? Wouldn’t real care be “you are done”?

My thought is we know crashing into each other with helmets is not healthy. I think players immediately hurt in a game should have those decisions removed from their decision authority as far as when they are okay to return to that specific game. I think we are kidding ourselves going into the protocol for when they can return to future games. Play’em if they want to play. If the kid still has symptoms, chances are the next guy up will be in a better position to help the team than a concussion hazed player. In that case the best player plays.

If we are serious about concussions, how can the sport survive? It doesn’t in the way we know it.

Well do you want an honest discussion? Because @MyTeamIsOnTheFloor will go to the Nebraska board and run smack, and when I tell him that this is a hear no evil see no evil board, he will claim that that is not the case and that it ended when Peegs left, but it very much is the case.

Hey myteamisonthefloor.. someone posted that this is not your dads Indiana, I noted that Indiana was pretty good and won a bowl when my dad was my age... banned.

I don’t get it with you guys. When we were 0-3 last year, suddenly you wanted to come to our board and talk.. @td75 in particular.. we go 6-6 and keep you guys at 5-7 and out of a bowl and it’s run to iu rivals hide and instaban.

Do you wanna be big boys and have a rivalry or do you want to live in mister Rogers land @Courtsensetwo??

To answer your question I’m more than willing to cop to some in our fan base doing stupid or classless things. On the premium board, I’d say 85% of posters think IU sucks shows a little brother mentality when we do it against people who aren’t IU.. I don’t even like it against IU. When I went there during the Brees years, we shook our keys and then built up to an ooooh... as the ball was kicked.

I also don’t like the first down bitch chant. It’s retarded. But fan bases have all types man. I’ve met Notre Dame fans who went to ND and are awesome to watch a game with .. one met Notre Dame fans who went to penn high school and are the biggest morons I’ve ever met.

When I was at IU for the 99 bucket game, I had a much more pleasant experience than any time we welcomed Illinois fans to Ross Ade.

Want the straight dope? I think IU can get 6 wins, the bucket and a bowl win this year.

Problem. this is a year when Indiana is going to lose a lot with players like coy cronk leaving (and no I was never one of the idiots who thought he was transferring to Purdue). While Purdue May win only 4-5 (I predicted 6-6 before the Bailey injury), the Purdue depth chart has 18 freshmen in the two deep. We have like two senior starters healthy right now.

Indiana graduates as many starting linemen this year as Purdue does in the next two. With Neal out and McCann likely out, the senior starting linemen this year is down to 1... converted DT now playing left guard Alex Criddle.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see IU win 6, win the bucket and win a bowl in a year where they are much older and have many more questions to answer after the year than Purdue ...

With 10 scholarship seniors and 11 scholarship juniors, 2020 and 2021 were always going to be Purdue’s years.

I am a realist about Purdue and IU. Last year, I took one look at the holes on defense and predicted 6-6, 2-2 start with a 1-3 start possible. This year? 6-6, 2-3 start likely (preseason, pre Bailey).

You guys will pistol whip Uconn next week,
Walk backwards to a win over Rutgers, and northwestern is vulnerable until they answer their QB questions. So I think 5-6 coming into the bucket game is likely. And honestly, if you can’t get a Purdue team this young, bombed out and depleted in the bucket, well if I were in your shoes, I’d email glass and ask why. Without Markus Bailey, we have some questions to answer. Not very likely that jones and Alexander combine to be anything near what Bailey and jones were.

It’s not an excuse, it’s more like if I was putting money on 6 wins for Purdue I might just decide not to bet either way. Especially with Maryland looking like f-ing maniacs.

A win is a win. If you guys come into our house I’m not gonna be like “but Bailey...” baileys loss is a logical reason why a lot of teams might beat us, but each team has had years to prepare a roster for this season. It was on Brohm to develop not only Jones, who has done well, but Jack smith as well. When Bailey goes down and Brohm brings up Jones and then starts talking about saloon Kieren Douglas, well.. to me, that means there was some combination of failure between smith, Brohm/holt or both.

Take runningback. Yes, Tario broke his jaw.. Horvath is the college version of Merrill hoge. Doerue is a beast who is still too young .. he’s thinking instead of reacting. But when you look at programs, I look at Evan Anderson, a redshirt freshman running back who left the program in the summer due to a family death. Problem is, before the death, he showed no indication that he was going to see the field any time soon. When a three star fails to develop like that, that costs you. I’ve seen plenty of boilers have a family member pass away and stick around and live their lives.. were he ready maybe he does. But he was probably not.

As a coach about to lose Markell and DJ, to me, you look at Anderson and say “if fuller goes down, we are screwed, time to get a juco.”

So there really are no excuses

The rivalry is your deal Ace.

Lol so we aren’t rivals? When the BTN calls it that they are just making stuff up?

In state rivals...sure. But it is far far more important to PU grads than it is to IU grads. I care far less about you, than you do me. The rivalry is 75% driven by you guys.

Matters to me during the week of a FB or BB game. You guys seem to base your self-esteem on it. Examples include you guys living on this board, the IU sux chant, and the huge cheers when an "IU is behind or IU lost" ticker shows up on your scoreboard during a FB or BB game, Anti IU rhetoric during Boiler Gold Rush for God's sake, just an overall obsession that is frankly; unhealthy.

To me, PU is more of an academic compliment to IU's academic base than a sports rival. I have hired several solid tech grads from PU but they understand pretty quickly that they need to calm the Fork down about the IU stuff.

In state rivals...sure. But it is far far more important to PU grads than it is to IU grads. I care far less about you, than you do me. The rivalry is 75% driven by you guys.

Matters to me during the week of a FB or BB game. You guys seem to base your self-esteem on it. Examples include you guys living on this board, the IU sux chant, and the huge cheers when an "IU is behind or IU lost" ticker shows up on your scoreboard during a FB or BB game, Anti IU rhetoric during Boiler Gold Rush for God's sake, just an overall obsession that is frankly; unhealthy.

To me, PU is more of an academic compliment to IU's academic base than a sports rival. I have hired several solid tech grads from PU but they understand pretty quickly that they need to calm the Fork down about the IU stuff.

God I’d hate to work for you.. even if you were a New Mexico fan ...

I’m from Illinois. I care about all opponents equally and think we have a pretty awesome conference for football. It’s fun to be a realistic prognosticator on all 14 schools.

Case in point, I’ve been banned yet again for insisting Purdue was a 6-6 team even before the injuries

I already told you all the IU stuff at our games is stupid.

I know td75 cared a LOT last year when we were 3-0, so what’s wrong with admitting that you care?

Just seems dumb. I watch big ten ball all day on our bye week, and I’d still be doing that if I went to IU or Rutgers

God I’d hate to work for you.. even if you were a New Mexico fan ...

I’m from Illinois. I care about all opponents equally and think we have a pretty awesome conference for football. It’s fun to be a realistic prognosticator on all 14 schools.

Case in point, I’ve been banned yet again for insisting Purdue was a 6-6 team even before the injuries

I already told you all the IU stuff at our games is stupid.

I know td75 cared a LOT last year when we were 3-0, so what’s wrong with admitting that you care?

Just seems dumb. I watch big ten ball all day on our bye week, and I’d still be doing that if I went to IU or Rutgers

People that have worked for me over the years have enjoyed it and benefitted greatly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT