ADVERTISEMENT

PU recruits 7 footers/Bigs & Shooters. Archie recruits neither

Where did I ever say that IU would outshoot PU? There are tons of threads and posts on here, including this thread, about our shooting challenges. It all comes back to IU for you guys doesn't it? I don't really even have to ask when we're having this discussion on an IU board, though, do I?
It’s a thread about Purdue started by an IU fan on an IU board, with most of the responses from IU fans. We used to make fun of Purdue when they tried to talk trash while we were dominating them on the court. They always looked small and ignorant. Now, it’s our fans trying to do the same, with predictable results.

Where did I ever say that IU would outshoot PU? There are tons of threads and posts on here, including this thread, about our shooting challenges. It all comes back to IU for you guys doesn't it? I don't really even have to ask when we're having this discussion on an IU board, though, do I?

This was a thread started by an IU fan...about IU. The PUers and other embittered trolls swarmed and made it what it is. Starts and ends with IU both here and on their own forum. Has always been that way.

Good to be King

This was a thread started by an IU fan...about IU. The PUers and other embittered trolls swarmed and made it what it is. Starts and ends with IU both here and on their own forum. Has always been that way.

Good to be King
q

Good to be King

Thread about IU when the first sentence (and first part of the topic) was specifically about Purdue? Lol

Thread about IU when the first sentence (and first part of the topic) was specifically about Purdue? Lol

Context Sparky...context. The thread is clearly...clearly about Miller and is ability, or lack thereof, to recruit certain skills or body types. There is no debate about that, but I understand why some may not have the willingness or ability to read for context. It is called bias and it appears to be a limiting factor for some.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: kkott
It’s a thread about Purdue started by an IU fan on an IU board, with most of the responses from IU fans. We used to make fun of Purdue when they tried to talk trash while we were dominating them on the court. They always looked small and ignorant. Now, it’s our fans trying to do the same, with predictable results.
No, it's a thread about IU and the construction of our roster, highlighting the possibilities by showing that PU, which most universally agree is a tougher sell on the recruiting front, has been able to consistently recruit bigs and shooters. I didn't really need to explain that to you, though, did I? No, I didn't think so.

No, it's a thread about IU and the construction of our roster, highlighting the possibilities by showing that PU, which most universally agree is a tougher sell on the recruiting front, has been able to consistently recruit bigs and shooters. I didn't really need to explain that to you, though, did I? No, I didn't think so.

Bingo

Seems to me that IU and CAM have become caught up in an unfortunate and completely avoidable predicament. Archie is apparently selling top recruits that they will become the first class to return IU to blue-blood status, which is not the way back to relevance, IMHO. IU certainly has the heritage, but let's be honest - those banners are mostly due to when it was RMK's program, not CAM's. By selling top recruits on the heritage of IU, he elevates IU and his recruits to a higher status than he has as a coach. So is it any wonder that they come in believing they - not CAM or his program - are the "saviors" of IU basketball? Under those circumstances, why would such highly rated recruits want to listen and learn from someone like CAM?

Bringing in such top recruits undermines what CAM wants to do as a coach. Their egos come first, and if the team doesn't win, then they move on to the nba and chalk it up to CAM being a lousy coach - which he certainly is not.

CAM needs to scale back on who he recruits - get kids who want to play for him and his system, not act as saviors for IU basketball. As Painter has learned the hard way, you don't want kids who think they are more important than the coach or his program. You don't want egos getting in the way of what you - as a coach - want to teach.

CAM may have to scale back a little and go for some 4- and maybe 3-stars who want to play for him - not just come in with the attitude that they don't have to work or listen to CAM because they are so damn talented, they don't need him.

CAM needs really good role players - kids who want to get better and be part of a program that has such incredibly rich history. Kids that will listen and learn - exactly the kind of kids CMP has been recruiting for several years now. Once he has some success with those kinds of kids, CAM will establish some street cred with higher rated recruits - who will be more interested in playing for him, rather than being saviors of a long dormant program. Then, and only then will CAM be able to restore IU's rich heritage.

And personally, despite being a Boiler fan, I hope he does.

Seems to me that IU and CAM have become caught up in an unfortunate and completely avoidable predicament. Archie is apparently selling top recruits that they will become the first class to return IU to blue-blood status, which is not the way back to relevance, IMHO. IU certainly has the heritage, but let's be honest - those banners are mostly due to when it was RMK's program, not CAM's. By selling top recruits on the heritage of IU, he elevates IU and his recruits to a higher status than he has as a coach. So is it any wonder that they come in believing they - not CAM or his program - are the "saviors" of IU basketball? Under those circumstances, why would such highly rated recruits want to listen and learn from someone like CAM?

Bringing in such top recruits undermines what CAM wants to do as a coach. Their egos come first, and if the team doesn't win, then they move on to the nba and chalk it up to CAM being a lousy coach - which he certainly is not.

CAM needs to scale back on who he recruits - get kids who want to play for him and his system, not act as saviors for IU basketball. As Painter has learned the hard way, you don't want kids who think they are more important than the coach or his program. You don't want egos getting in the way of what you - as a coach - want to teach.

CAM may have to scale back a little and go for some 4- and maybe 3-stars who want to play for him - not just come in with the attitude that they don't have to work or listen to CAM because they are so damn talented, they don't need him.

CAM needs really good role players - kids who want to get better and be part of a program that has such incredibly rich history. Kids that will listen and learn - exactly the kind of kids CMP has been recruiting for several years now. Once he has some success with those kinds of kids, CAM will establish some street cred with higher rated recruits - who will be more interested in playing for him, rather than being saviors of a long dormant program. Then, and only then will CAM be able to restore IU's rich heritage.

And exactly where did you get your info on what Coach Miller is "selling"? Right. Be sure to wipe.

Wow, did you come up with all that on your own? You need to get out of the house a little more and get some fresh air. Who are all these top recruits that have kept our program down? CAM's gotten exactly 3 5 star recruits I believe: Romeo, TJD and KL. Romeo's season was a bust. TJD by all appearances is a great kid and teammate. KL is still a big unknown to me at least, but those 3 combined haven't brought down the program. Far more about getting his style implemented and his players playing it. But it was a nice, well-written piece, I'll give you credit for that!

Reactions: hookyIU1990

CAM may have to scale back a little and go for some 4- and maybe 3-stars who want to play for him - not just come in with the attitude that they don't have to work or listen to CAM because they are so amn talented, they don't need him.

Very insightful! Thank you for that. Most will attack you despite your obvious logic but don't let that discourage you. What your saying does make sense but may be an over simplification of the situation. Of course how do you, in a thread such as this, list all the issues. I do not think CAM is a "lousy" coach but I do believe he is inadequate for what IU needs. Others will criticize me for saying that but that is ok.

interesting perspective, and it might explain some of the dysfunctional team play when Romeo was here. I don’t think TJD is a problem, but I did see some selfish play last year where some of the kids would not make the extra pass to the open man, instead they would try to win the game single-handedly.

I think there is more than enough talent and athleticism on the team to win consistently, but the play is not as team-focused as I think it should be. I’ve generally blamed Miller for that, and for not providing the motivation to his kids. Bob suggests that the kids might be bringing the wrong attitude into the program. It is certainly a possibility.

I think there is more than enough talent and athleticism on the team to win consistently, but the play is not as team-focused as I think it should be. I’ve generally blamed Miller for that, and for not providing the motivation to his kids. Bob suggests that the kids might be bringing the wrong attitude into the program. It is certainly a possibility.

I don’t really want to beat a dead horse and talk about Crean, but i always felt with him he could only win with top talent, while coaches like Bo Ryan always scraped together teams that were competitive. Ryan always had teams that were greater than the sum of the individual parts. Crean had teams that seemed the opposite of that. Throw in his failures at roster construction and it was easy to explain the roller coaster results.

when we hired Miller I expected to see the opposite:

1. Teams that performed better than the sum of the individual parts
2. Roster construction with a purpose
3. Teams that were built to get old and stay old.

I actually think Miller is a good coach, but IMHO he has failed in the above 3.

four years into this and it seems like he has been content to ride the Crean recruits into the ground, and recruit short term players (Romeo, Fitzner, Brunk, TJD and Lander). It seems to be a confused strategy that I can only think was designed to win immediately and delay building a Miller team in his image.

maybe that’s changing now. We have a young foundation, and 4 returning starters that could all be gone after this year (or next-phin) We are seeing the young guys play a lot. It shouldn’t take 4 years to see what a coach can do, but it seems that we are at that point. I think we’ll have a better idea how he wants to build teams after the roster turn over. We NEED to recruit some bigs.

for now, we are a talented, experienced, deep team that should be expected to be a top 15 team. But next year and beyond? I am hoping that I can grade Miller highly on the 3 points I made above. Right now I cannot.

Reactions: kkott
I don’t really want to beat a dead horse and talk about Crean, but i always felt with him he could only win with top talent, while coaches like Bo Ryan always scraped together teams that were competitive. Ryan always had teams that were greater than the sum of the individual parts. Crean had teams that seemed the opposite of that. Throw in his failures at roster construction and it was easy to explain the roller coaster results.

when we hired Miller I expected to see the opposite:

1. Teams that performed better than the sum of the individual parts
2. Roster construction with a purpose
3. Teams that were built to get old and stay old.

I actually think Miller is a good coach, but IMHO he has failed in the above 3.

four years into this and it seems like he has been content to ride the Crean recruits into the ground, and recruit short term players (Romeo, Fitzner, Brunk, TJD and Lander). It seems to be a confused strategy that I can only think was designed to win immediately and delay building a Miller team in his image.

maybe that’s changing now. We have a young foundation, and 4 returning starters that could all be gone after this year (or next-phin) We are seeing the young guys play a lot. It shouldn’t take 4 years to see what a coach can do, but it seems that we are at that point. I think we’ll have a better idea how he wants to build teams after the roster turn over. We NEED to recruit some bigs.

for now, we are a talented, experienced, deep team that should be expected to be a top 15 team. But next year and beyond? I am hoping that I can grade Miller highly on the 3 points I made above. Right now I cannot.
This is a good post. There is, and has been, something that’s just “off” about the program during Miller’s tenure. Recruiting has been uneven, and the culture and buy in at the player level has never come across as a winning one. Poor play isn’t “punished”, which is anathema to what so many of us grew up watching. I think the Romeo recruitment was, in retrospect, destined to failure, as the rumors of interference persist to this day. Worse than that, though, is a general lack of identity in the program, which most of us thought Crean lacked and that Miller would have in surplus. As you rightly said, we look like a program where the team is less than the sum of its parts, which is likely why we continue to be an afterthought in the Big 10 and college basketball world, and one of the reasons why recruiting is starting to look less than inspiring.

Reactions: .Gerdis
This is a good post. There is, and has been, something that’s just “off” about the program during Miller’s tenure. Recruiting has been uneven, and the culture and buy in at the player level has never come across as a winning one. Poor play isn’t “punished”, which is anathema to what so many of us grew up watching. I think the Romeo recruitment was, in retrospect, destined to failure, as the rumors of interference persist to this day. Worse than that, though, is a general lack of identity in the program, which most of us thought Crean lacked and that Miller would have in surplus. As you rightly said, we look like a program where the team is less than the sum of its parts, which is likely why we continue to be an afterthought in the Big 10 and college basketball world, and one of the reasons why recruiting is starting to look less than inspiring.
Hey a fair post that was critical without being ridiculously slanted against the IU program or coach... what did you do with Birnk?

Hey a fair post that was critical without being ridiculously slanted against the IU program or coach... what did you do with Birnk?
My posts are always fair, even if some people whine about them. The “slanted” stuff is really dumb, even for you.

Ba Baa Baaw Baawahahahahahahaha pant pant hahahahahahahaha!
Are you getting winded trying to keep up? I can slow down if that helps. I know pretendinitis suffers are often breathless. Oh, and nice job ruining yet another thread.

My posts are always fair, even if some people whine about them. The “slanted” stuff is really dumb, even for you.
No, they're not. You tried to say that the OP for this thread wasn't about IU, when it clearly was made to highlight our lack of size and shooters, and that's just 1 simple example of your bias. I completely agree that you are knowledgable, know our history and can and often do make good points, but way too often you feel the need to go over the line to try and make your point.

No, they're not. You tried to say that the OP for this thread wasn't about IU, when it clearly was made to highlight our lack of size and shooters, and that's just 1 simple example of your bias. I completely agree that you are knowledgable, know our history and can and often do make good points, but way too often you feel the need to go over the line to try and make your point.
I said it was a post about Purdue which, in fact, it is. That it’s also about IU is true, but it was yet another PU post on an IU board. My “bias” is that I place truth and accuracy over cheerleading, and that rubs some of the partisans the wrong way. Their preference is that truth and accuracy should sometimes give way to our support of IU and, because of that, I and a few others are accused of crossing the line. I’m a huge IU fan, so much so that I’m not shy about the facts of the program, even when it shines a less than favorable light on our favorite team. I also accept that others feel differently about that.

No, they're not. You tried to say that the OP for this thread wasn't about IU, when it clearly was made to highlight our lack of size and shooters

You are correct and everyone knows it...including ordy/frederika/IUdanapoit/prankster/Birnk

Are you getting winded trying to keep up? I can slow down if that helps. I know pretendinitis suffers are often breathless. Oh, and nice job ruining yet another thread.

Put on ignore son.

Look, i am sorry that IUs FB success has you this enraged. But hey, your Hoops team is gonna beat miami

Put on ignore son.

Look, i am sorry that IUs FB success has you this enraged. But hey, your Hoops team is gonna beat miami
I’m thrilled at our football success. It’s fantastic. Unlike you, I’ve followed IU football for decades, and I knew a number of players while in school (and still do). Ran into one of our former quarterbacks last Spring. Very accomplished guy, though his knees and hips aren’t what they used to be.

I’m afraid your pretendinitis is out of control. Everyone can see it. Still can’t bring yourself to ignore me, huh? I’ll slow down for you . . . your panting is so unbecoming.

I’m thrilled at our football success. It’s fantastic. Unlike you, I’ve followed IU football for decades, and I knew a number of players while in school (and still do). Ran into one of our former quarterbacks last Spring. Very accomplished guy, though his knees and hips aren’t what they used to be.

I’m afraid your pretendinitis is out of control. Everyone can see it. Still can’t bring yourself to ignore me, huh? I’ll slow down for you . . . your panting is so unbecoming.

1025, 1,026, 1,027

Such Busllshit Ordy.

I see I was was wrong and you clowns lost to a shorthanded Miami team, plus your shitty FB team plus I embarrassed you upthread. Your blood must be BOILing

Now go google something about IU to try to convince...well...no one that you are some IU guy.

Oh...and trollboi...that wager offer still stands.

You guys Suuuuuuuuck

LOL, yeah I saw the score in the first half then just read they lost. Pity

Good news is we get to watch Ordy flop like a dying carp on a hot pier. Great entertainment.
I checked the score at half then flipped back with a couple minutes to go.

1025, 1,026, 1,027

Such Busllshit Ordy.

I see I was was wrong and you clowns lost to a shorthanded Miami team, plus your shitty FB team plus I embarrassed you upthread. Your blood must be BOILing

Now go google something about IU to try to convince...well...no one that you are some IU guy.

Oh...and trollboi...that wager offer still stands.

You guys Suuuuuuuuck
The pretendinitis is severe with you. You’re a non grad fraud. Everybody knows it. Too many times you’ve shown that. I’m enjoying the rent free living, though.

• Haha
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
flop flop flop flop
Dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge. Is that what all of you non-grads do. It’s like I’m Obama and you’re a birther. The more you go on, the crazier you look. I’m making an assumption that you know what a birther is (you’re googling it now, I‘m sure). Maybe it‘s another byproduct of your pretendinitis. A Pretendinitis Birther! Perfect.

• Haha
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge. Is that what all of you non-grads do. It’s like I’m Obama and you’re a birther. The more you go on, the crazier you look. I’m making an assumption that you know what a birther is (you’re googling it now, I‘m sure). Maybe it‘s another byproduct of your pretendinitis. A Pretendinitis Birther! Perfect.

1,028, 1,029

Haven't seen you trolling on the Football board where all the activity is right now.

Odd

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT