ADVERTISEMENT

I wouldn’t play TJD at the five against IL MI or PU

Race is our best option at the 4.
I wonder how far Durr's range extends? Honestly, I think he's shown more as a shooter than Race did for 3+ years. Maybe he could play the 4 on the offensive end, and flip to the 5 on D to occupy bigger 5s when paired with TJD? Make a rotation for the 4/5 between TJD, Race and MD.

Reactions: susyq and .Gerdis
I wonder how far Durr's range extends? Honestly, I think he's shown more as a shooter than Race did for 3+ years. Maybe he could play the 4 on the offensive end, and flip to the 5 on D to occupy bigger 5s when paired with TJD? Make a rotation for the 4/5 between TJD, Race and MD.
You are essentially choosing Durr over Race. I don’t think that’s a good idea.

You are essentially choosing Durr over Race. I don’t think that’s a good idea.
No, not at all. If Race can handle their 5, without fouling, I'm all for it. Durr could rotate between coming in for TJD and Race. I just think most of Durr's minutes have been in backing up TJD and I'm saying it might be possible to play them together without sacrificing what they are trying to do with our offense.

No, not at all. If Race can handle their 5, without fouling, I'm all for it. Durr could rotate between coming in for TJD and Race. I just think most of Durr's minutes have been in backing up TJD and I'm saying it might be possible to play them together without sacrificing what they are trying to do with our offense.
The advantage of Durr is he draws the opposing 5 on defense, but only if he keeps him honest by posting underneath. And his history shows he's a pretty good offensive rebounder.

I would say his range is comparable to Race's (4-19 from 3 last year), probably better from mid-range. He seems designed for the pick-and-roll. I'd like to see us become more deliberate using him to mix-up our offense, not just to give TJD a breather.

IF our offense is going to go through TJD (with a Kofi type on him), he cannot be a black hole for the ball, and he cannot be getting the ball deep inside bodied up. That plays to the strength of the defense. We need to either draw a Kofi type away from the basket, or take advantage of TJDs first step. Tjd also has to be ready to pass out of the post. We saw that with Curbelo and Kofi, pass into the post, back out, back in, back out.

if the ball goes into the block deep and Kofi is bodied up, and TJD is intent on forcing a shot into the contact it’s game over . He’s not going to overpower him. His advantage needs to be movement.

Reactions: aajohn2000
We need to either draw a Kofi type away from the basket
Underwood doesn't want Kofi to come out, wants him planted under the basket and that's where he generally stays. i think the game plan was for TJD to catch 10 to 12' feet and drive on Kofi. It didn't work...

Plus Kofi vs TJD wasn't the main reason we lost that game, we lost it on the perimeter by not staying in front of guys, or over helping and giving them too many good looks while not getting anything going for ourselves. Paid too much attention to Kofi and not enough attention to their shooters.

Reactions: cshartle123
Underwood doesn't want Kofi to come out, wants him planted under the basket and that's where he generally stays. i think the game plan was for TJD to catch 10 to 12' feet and drive on Kofi. It didn't work...

Plus Kofi vs TJD wasn't the main reason we lost that game, we lost it on the perimeter by not staying in front of guys, or over helping and giving them too many good looks while not getting anything going for ourselves. Paid too much attention to Kofi and not enough attention to their shooters.
Tough when they are draining step back 3s.

Stewart is 2nd in the B10 in %, need to get him (and Kopp who also has a good % ) , more 3 point attempts.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Tough when they are draining step back 3s.

Stewart is 2nd in the B10 in %, need to get him (and Kopp who also has a good % ) , more 3 point attempts.
They have guys that can shoot the 3 off the dribble, namely Frazier and Plummer. Makes them really hard to guard, especially when we did such a poor job of it.

Get caught in a game where you're over concerned with helping on Kofi and the 3's start falling... Sticks everyone in no man's land .. and you're basically f*cked chasing all day.

They have guys that can shoot the 3 off the dribble, namely Frazier and Plummer. Makes them really hard to guard, especially when we did such a poor job of it.

Get caught in a game where you're over concerned with helping on Kofi and the 3's start falling... Sticks everyone in no man's land .. and you're basically f*cked chasing all day.
They got some ice water in their veins too. The crowd was roaring after the back to back air balls, but they calmly responded with some big threes and went on that 10-0 run.

Or any other team that has a true center. TJD is 6’8 and a half. Asking him to guard 7 footers is not realistic. TJD plays like a true center, and that makes everyone think he should be able to play against the other good centers in our league. That is dumb.

TJD should not be the focal point of our offense if he is being guarded by an elite big. Since he has no outside shot, it is very easy for elite boys to contain him downlow. He can’t move Cockburn on the block, and it is stupid for us to ask him to try.

There is a reason we played our best basketball against PU an IL with him on the bench. However, he still should be on the floor, but our strategy has to change dramatically against these good bigs. O and D. Race did a far better job defending Cockburn when asked.
Good post. Totally agree. Like to see Durr start against a true center with TJD and Race. TJD must get a jumper working to be a viable NBA guy. I'd take Kopp or Stewart out for true centers depending on defensive matchups. Having said that I know CMW is way ahead of me on any thinking. Massive grin! Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
They got some ice water in their veins too. The crowd was roaring after the back to back air balls, but they calmly responded with some big threes and went on that 10-0 run.
Yea, they hit some tough shots .. Ill has two shooters that don't need passes to get shots off. We currently have none.

The only player we have capable of hitting shots off the move or bounce is Rob and he's inconsistent and injured.

IU drastically needs a dynamic perimeter scorer .. it's the missing piece. We have to rely on plays and passes to get crucial scores.

As bad as the D was, it may have been good enough to win, if we don't implode and hit some shots. The offense was so bad Sat we dropped 20 (+/-) spots in off eff ranking.

Reactions: .Gerdis and bawlmer
You are asking TJD to guard stretch fours like Grandison, Murray, Gillis, etc., and I think you are underestimating how much worse our offense would be with Durr instead of Race. Imagine two bigs in the paint playing post up isolation and Xavier driving into traffic. You never put the defense into rotation. It sounds good on a video game, but the reality is impractical. The elephant in the room is how ineffective TJD’s post up defense has been. He needs to get better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT