ADVERTISEMENT

I wouldn’t play TJD at the five against IL MI or PU

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Or any other team that has a true center. TJD is 6’8 and a half. Asking him to guard 7 footers is not realistic. TJD plays like a true center, and that makes everyone think he should be able to play against the other good centers in our league. That is dumb.

TJD should not be the focal point of our offense if he is being guarded by an elite big. Since he has no outside shot, it is very easy for elite boys to contain him downlow. He can’t move Cockburn on the block, and it is stupid for us to ask him to try.

There is a reason we played our best basketball against PU an IL with him on the bench. However, he still should be on the floor, but our strategy has to change dramatically against these good bigs. O and D. Race did a far better job defending Cockburn when asked.

Or any other team that has a true center. TJD is 6’8 and a half. Asking him to guard 7 footers is not realistic. TJD plays like a true center, and that makes everyone think he should be able to play against the other good centers in our league. That is dumb.

TJD should not be the focal point of our offense if he is being guarded by an elite big. Since he has no outside shot, it is very easy for elite boys to contain him downlow. He can’t move Cockburn on the block, and it is stupid for us to ask him to try.

There is a reason we played our best basketball against PU an IL with him on the bench. However, he still should be on the floor, but our strategy has to change dramatically against these good bigs. O and D. Race did a far better job defending Cockburn when asked.
Maybe you should have posted this before yesterday's game. This is something NBA scouts have known for a while.

Agree. This is up to coach to recognize this. Our offense should not run through him when he is on the floor against these teams. We need to change our strategy and space the floor so our guards can go to the lane like X did vs PU. Yesterday sucked. Plain and simple. Now it's back to seeing how we could do what we've done in all these other seasons and lose the last 6-7 games of the year. What gives me hope that this does not happen is I do believe in coach Woody and keeping the team focused and effort will be there.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Race showed how to guard Kofi at the end of the 1st half, denying the entry pass. Worked his ass off, but if TJD isn't going to score against him then use the energy on the defensive end.

Agree. This is up to coach to recognize this. Our offense should not run through him when he is on the floor against these teams. We need to change our strategy and space the floor so our guards can go to the lane like X did vs PU. Yesterday sucked. Plain and simple. Now it's back to seeing how we could do what we've done in all these other seasons and lose the last 6-7 games of the year. What gives me hope that this does not happen is I do believe in coach Woody and keeping the team focused and effort will be there.
Maybe Matta can help if they would listen to him.

Reactions: aajohn2000
Much like DJ White, Trayce is a 4 who is forced to play the 5 because his coaches weren't competent enough to recruit a decent 5.

Reactions: Lucy01

I would body up these bigs with Durr/Race/Geronimo and use TJD on help side to block shots. Kofi is by far the best of the BIG biggies.

Last edited:
Much like DJ White, Trayce is a 4 who is forced to play the 5 because his coaches weren't competent enough to recruit a decent 5.
Juwan Morgan was a 4 forced to play the 5. TJD would not be better playing the 4 unless he expanded his game.

Race showed how to guard Kofi at the end of the 1st half, denying the entry pass. Worked his ass off, but if TJD isn't going to score against him then use the energy on the defensive end.
Exactly. You don’t play a 6:8 guy behind a monster like him unless you have Bill Russell on your squad. He needs to be fronted by guy like Trayce with help coming from behind when needed.

Exactly. You don’t play a 6:8 guy behind a monster like him unless you have Bill Russell on your squad. He needs to be fronted by guy like Trayce with help coming from behind when needed.
Bill Russell said he was 6’9” and 6’9” was tall enough… then again 7’ centers were few and far between then.
(Many of them played for Wooden at UCLA)

Trayce has the hops to break up a lob … but can’t stop a pass off the back board.

Next time we see a 7’ center … perhaps we should try Race, Trayce, and Durr early.

why not give durr more minutes?
If we believe in "team", which I believe we do, then we would need a lineup to feature Trayce and Durr or Race and Durr together. I don't see how you put them all out there together. But it's obvious that this team plays better with Trayce out of the lineuup against teams with formidable bigs, ie PU/Edey and Illinois/Cockburn. It's just not a good matchup and our team suffers with Trayce in there. I mean just look at Illinois. With him sitting out 16 minutes in the 1H, we go into halftime up 4. With him playing 14 minutes in the 2H, we are outscored by 20.

Last edited:
If we believe in "team", which I believe we do, then we would need a lineup to feature Trayce and Durr or Race and Durr together. I don't see how you put them all out there together. But it's obvious that this team plays better with Trayce out of the lineuup against teams with formidable bigs, ie PU/Ivey and Illinois/Cockburn. It's just not a good matchup and our team suffers with Trayce in there. I mean just look at Illinois. With him sitting out 16 minutes in the 1H, we go into halftime up 4. With him playing 14 minutes in the 2H, we are outscored by 20.
You confused Ivey and Edey!

Reactions: aajohn2000
I’ve posted similar points to this a couple times since TJDs freshman year.

If TJD is used like Texas used their bigs in recent years, he’d have probably already been drafted. And our teams would have been better for it.

Those guys were long, athletic, limited skill bigs that were first rounders because of the things they could do, but also because of the potential they never showed they didn’t have.

They were mainly used as dive guys, and lob guys offensively. And also often played off opposing teams main post players. It freed them up to get weak side blocks. Have more freedom to swoop in and get rebounds. Etc…

I’m not sure such a change for TJD now would help his draft stock much. Everyone has seen too much at this point.
But it’s becoming clear we’re better when we’re not focusing on getting TJD the ball down low.

If we believe in "team", which I believe we do, then we would need a lineup to feature Trayce and Durr or Race and Durr together. I don't see how you put them all out there together. But it's obvious that this team plays better with Trayce out of the lineuup against teams with formidable bigs, ie PU/Ivey and Illinois/Cockburn. It's just not a good matchup and our team suffers with Trayce in there. I mean just look at Illinois. With him sitting out 16 minutes in the 1H, we go into halftime up 4. With him playing 14 minutes in the 2H, we are outscored by 20.
BINGO!

Playing them all at the same time would be a disaster! We already give up way too many wide open 3s! we would give up record number of 3s playing 3 bigs at the same time!

Yesterday CMW said that TJD is not willing to take a 15 foot shot. I had the impression he was benched due to reluctance to leave the paint. I like Woody’s mentality.

It's not about height - the size differential between 7' 0" and 6' 9" is negligible. TJD is quicker, has better hops and a better handle than almost anyone his size in Conference.

The issues lie elsewhere - just ask 6' 6" Draymond Green.

Reactions: HillzHoozier
Yesterday CMW said that TJD is not willing to take a 15 foot shot. I had the impression he was benched due to reluctance to leave the paint. I like Woody’s mentality.
And it's not all about TJD. Durr adds more range, opening up room in the paint.

Reactions: kmathum
exactly. if he refuses to do what the coach tells him to do, he needs to be benched

Playing them all at the same time would be a disaster! We already give up way too many wide open 3s! we would give up record number of 3s playing 3 bigs at the same time!
i disagree. play them together. i think race can guard a 3

Last edited:
It's not about height - the size differential between 7' 0" and 6' 9" is negligible. TJD is quicker, has better hops and a better handle than almost anyone his size in Conference.

The issues lie elsewhere - just ask 6' 6" Draymond Green.
And there’s this from 6’7” Dennis Rodman

I believe some 6’9” players can guard and play against elite centers. I agree that TJD has not done this consistently. I might still start him and play him at the 5 some against good centers but I think that Durr probably needs to play 20 minutes in those cases unless TJD shows early that he is playing well against them.

Maybe Matta can help if they would listen to him.
And you know they are not? I wish I could be at practice to acquire all this inner knowledge of the team. We can judge the results but I would venture that you and most of the rest of us are in any position to make judgements about coaching dynamics.

I’ve posted similar points to this a couple times since TJDs freshman year.

If TJD is used like Texas used their bigs in recent years, he’d have probably already been drafted. And our teams would have been better for it.

Those guys were long, athletic, limited skill bigs that were first rounders because of the things they could do, but also because of the potential they never showed they didn’t have.

They were mainly used as dive guys, and lob guys offensively. And also often played off opposing teams main post players. It freed them up to get weak side blocks. Have more freedom to swoop in and get rebounds. Etc…

I’m not sure such a change for TJD now would help his draft stock much. Everyone has seen too much at this point.
But it’s becoming clear we’re better when we’re not focusing on getting TJD the ball down low.
Maybe on occasion but the hue and cry on here when we are not getting him the ball all the time regardless of how he is being defended is overwhelming. I see the overall overeaction to a poor game by a very good player. In my opinion when he picked up his second foul quickly on a very bad decision on his part he was toast. He looked frantic in the second half and played poorly as a result. Also Kofi is pretty damn good.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. This is the best post you’ve ever typed, Cav. This is why I posted yesterday that this the 1st game I was disappointed with CMW. Appreciate the fact you actually can criticize when necessary

And you know they are not? I wish I could be at practice to acquire all this inner knowledge of the team. We can judge the results but I would venture that you and most of the rest of us are in any position to make judgements about coaching dynamics.
Maybe on occasion but the hue and cry on here when we are not getting him the ball all the time regardless of how he is being defended is overwhelming. I see the overall overeaction to a poor game by a very good player. In my opinion when he picked up his second foul quickly on a very bad decision on his part he was toast. He looked frantic in the second half and played poorly as a result. Also Kofi is pretty damn good.
🐿

Correct, OP, correct. Durr at the 5 and TJD at the 4 vs UM, PU, and IL is a no brainer. I knew Woods on wouldn't do it. I knew it would result in early foul trouble for Trayce. And I knew it would result in a big loss.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Correct, OP, correct. Durr at the 5 and TJD at the 4 vs UM, PU, and IL is a no brainer. I knew Woods on wouldn't do it. I knew it would result in early foul trouble for Trayce. And I knew it would result in a big loss.
TJD and Durr together may shore up the defense, but it creates a bigger problem on the offensive side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT