ADVERTISEMENT

Priorities,

A few things, 3 of your 4 examples occurred in the state of Florida, all succeeding primarily by finding a way to tap into local talent that IU just doesn't have. Especially Schellenberger, he went and recruited players from local neighborhoods that previous coaches wouldn't even drive to.

Also, with Florida, Spurrier didn't exactly orchestrate a rocket shot. Yes, they were 0-11 in 1979, but then were ranked 19th nationally the following year. And managed 3 straight top 10 finishes before getting hammered for recruiting violations. Once the dust settled, Spurrier was able to continue what had already been started.

And with Barnett and NW, he basically caught lightning in a bottle, because he wasn't exactly able to maintain it, and couldn't maintain success at Colorado either.
So you are saying since Barnett they haven't been successful? Not the same record I'm looking at. IU would be thrilled with the same record Northwestern has had since then.

Why all the embellishment?
You're beating a dead horse, man. We all know the attendance thing is bad at games. No purpose is served by continuing to point that out. The purpose of this thread as I understood it was what should be the priority going forward to improve the FB program. Everyone knows attendance is terrible (were you the OP - I forget LOL). The OP was proposing a plan to improve attendance, as the priority to make things better. I, on the other hand, submitted that we should work on improving the product on the field as opposed to gimmicks to improve attendance. It's a difference of philosophy, and a legitimate debate, on what is needed at this point to make things better. But you, and others, keep beating that dead horse about how bad attendance is at the games and how that affects recruiting. I think we all get that point. It's true, and no one is denying that. The thing is, though, what can be done about it? The OP suggested giving tickets out for free. Some might agree that would work, some, including myself feel that it wouldn't. It's a legit point to debate. But to keep pointing out how bad our attendance is serves no purpose. We all know it's bad. The question is, what can we do about it. I submit that the focus should be on improving the product on the field through hiring and retaining as high quality of coaching as we can afford, and those coaches as part of their qualifications should be able to sell our program via emphasizing the positives which we DO have, which include the things I've mentioned including quality facilities, quality competition (B1G East), quality student services, quality campus, etc. etc. As opposed to focusing on getting butts in the seats. If you disagree, then make your case. But to keep harping on the fact that our attendance is bad is beating a dead horse IMHO.

You're beating a dead horse, man. We all know the attendance thing is bad at games. No purpose is served by continuing to point that out. The purpose of this thread as I understood it was what should be the priority going forward to improve the FB program. Everyone knows attendance is terrible (were you the OP - I forget LOL). The OP was proposing a plan to improve attendance, as the priority to make things better. I, on the other hand, submitted that we should work on improving the product on the field as opposed to gimmicks to improve attendance. It's a difference of philosophy, and a legitimate debate, on what is needed at this point to make things better. But you, and others, keep beating that dead horse about how bad attendance is at the games and how that affects recruiting. I think we all get that point. It's true, and no one is denying that. The thing is, though, what can be done about it? The OP suggested giving tickets out for free. Some might agree that would work, some, including myself feel that it wouldn't. It's a legit point to debate. But to keep pointing out how bad our attendance is serves no purpose. We all know it's bad. The question is, what can we do about it. I submit that the focus should be on improving the product on the field through hiring and retaining as high quality of coaching as we can afford, and those coaches as part of their qualifications should be able to sell our program via emphasizing the positives which we DO have, which include the things I've mentioned including quality facilities, quality competition (B1G East), quality student services, quality campus, etc. etc. As opposed to focusing on getting butts in the seats. If you disagree, then make your case. But to keep harping on the fact that our attendance is bad is beating a dead horse IMHO.
I've made my points in several posts in this read. Try re-reading them as you seem unfamiliar with them since you've mischaracterized them on several occasions.

Last edited:
No one claimed it was, but attend a game at most schools and compare that to IU. The difference is often sobering.
I haven't mischaracterized anything. The above post is what I'm referring to. No one is arguing with you on that point. It's bad. I'm out on this thread.

I haven't mischaracterized anything. The above post is what I'm referring to. No one is arguing with you on that point. It's bad. I'm out on this thread.
You absolutely have. Where in this have I mentioned attendance? What I have mentioned is atmosphere (attendance is only part of that). If you ever get the chance to see a game outside of Bloomington, maybe you'll have a better understanding. Nice discussion.

the Priorities in the title, refers to what should be IU's priorities in setting ticket pricing and structure.

to max out revenue per ticket or total gate revenue, or to give maxing attendance a place at the table as well.

what i tried to do was propose a strategy that would max attendance as much as possible, in as revenue neutral a way as possible.

while significantly (as in an extra 10,000-15,000, rather than an extra 1,200) while not hurting the gate short term one cent may not be realistic, i'm curious if we can't at least come close to revenue neutral short term, and still have that kind of major impact on attendance, and build/invest for the long term, in attendance, in football recruiting, in recruiting applicants to IU,

of course talking CEO types into investing long term at any expense what so ever short term, is always going to be dicey if their performance is constantly being evaluated on today's numbers.

that said, what i tried to do was leave alone the prime revenue streams that have anything to do with adult season tickets that carry points with them and with reserved youth tickets where the kids have reserved seats with mom and dad, and group/bulk sales.

what i did play play with was tics for IU students from whom we aren't getting all that much from now, especially after revenues more attributable to bball than fball are taken out, a general admission youth ticket for a Knothole section, and a heavily discounted general admission single game adult ticket for a GA or Knotthole section.

as i pointed out in my concert analogies, marginally discounting is only going to give marginal benefits.

but that once price hits free, the demand curve goes nuts, and that is the dynamic i'm basing hopefully significant (10,000 - 15,000) increase from.

thus to get the full effect and really move the meter, rather than just a nominal gain, you can't do this half way.

where IU would take a hit, would be in the revenue IU gets from IU student tics now, and the walkup price per ticket, youth or adult, for any game such a program was implemented. (obviously for an OSU, you wouldn't implement other than free admission for IU students, which you're stuck with unless you wanted to go with a single game IU student ticket for an OSU type situation).

to offset the above short term hits IU would take, (in segments IU isn't getting big bucks from now anyway), i think a lot could be recouped in,

A), sponsonships of free GA student tickets, and moving any basketball related subsidies back to the basketball side to recoup.

B) sponsorships of free youth GA Knothole section tickets.

sponsorships of either could include program naming rights, (ie The McDonald's Knothole Section, or AT&T Student section), signage, video/audio, etc.

C), increased scale, (and hopefully greatly increased scale of the walk up), offsetting some of the price per ticket hit on heavily discounted GA adult sales.

D) increased parking, concession, gear, revenues.

E) enhanced game day atmosphere for everyone there from a much fuller stadium.

we won't know how close we can come to short term revenue neutral, or how much we can increase attendance, till we actually try, and can compare with previous yrs' similar situations.

long term gains,

A) building a fan base, IU students, youth, and adults.

B) any recruiting plus that a full or much fuller stadium brings, over a half empty one.

C), increased applications to IU in yrs to come, from the much enhanced youth presence.

Last edited:
So you are saying since Barnett they haven't been successful? Not the same record I'm looking at. IU would be thrilled with the same record Northwestern has had since then.

Your initial post was that progress doesn't need to be slow, and that it can happen fast.

I would argue that NW is an example of slow and steady progress. Yes, they made a Rose bowl quickly under Barnett, but went to just 4 bowl games the next 13 years. That's not maintaining success. They caught lightning in a bottle, fell off quickly, then it was a decade long slow build to get to where they are now

Reactions: jsglenn4
the Priorities in the title, refers to what should be IU's priorities in setting ticket pricing and structure.

to max out revenue per ticket or total gate revenue, or to give maxing attendance a place at the table as well.

what i tried to do was propose a strategy that would max attendance as much as possible, in as revenue neutral a way as possible.

while significantly (as in an extra 10,000-15,000, rather than an extra 1,200) while not hurting the gate short term one cent may not be realistic, i'm curious if we can't at least come close to revenue neutral short term, and still have that kind of major impact on attendance, and build/invest for the long term, in attendance, in football recruiting, in recruiting applicants to IU,

of course talking CEO types into investing long term at any expense what so ever short term, is always going to be dicey if their performance is constantly being evaluated on today's numbers.

that said, what i tried to do was leave alone the prime revenue streams that have anything to do with adult season tickets that carry points with them and with reserved youth tickets where the kids have reserved seats with mom and dad, and group/bulk sales.

what i did play play with was tics for IU students from whom we aren't getting all that much from now, especially after revenues more attributable to bball than fball are taken out, a general admission youth ticket for a Knothole section, and a heavily discounted general admission single game adult ticket for a GA or Knotthole section.

as i pointed out in my concert analogies, marginally discounting is only going to give marginal benefits.

but that once price hits free, the demand curve goes nuts, and that is the dynamic i'm basing hopefully significant (10,000 - 15,000) increase from.

thus to get the full effect and really move the meter, rather than just a nominal gain, you can't do this half way.

where IU would take a hit, would be in the revenue IU gets from IU student tics now, and the walkup price per ticket, youth or adult, for any game such a program was implemented. (obviously for an OSU, you wouldn't implement other than free admission for IU students, which you're stuck with unless you wanted to go with a single game IU student ticket for an OSU type situation).

to offset the above short term hits IU would take, (in segments IU isn't getting big bucks from now anyway), i think a lot could be recouped in,

A), sponsonships of free GA student tickets, and moving any basketball related subsidies back to the basketball side to recoup.

B) sponsorships of free youth GA Knothole section tickets.

sponsorships of either could include program naming rights, (ie The McDonald's Knothole Section, or AT&T Student section), signage, video/audio, etc.

C), increased scale, (and hopefully greatly increased scale of the walk up), offsetting some of the price per ticket hit on heavily discounted GA adult sales.

D) increased parking, concession, gear, revenues.

E) enhanced game day atmosphere for everyone there from a much fuller stadium.

we won't know how close we can come to short term revenue neutral, or how much we can increase attendance, till we actually try, and can compare with previous yrs' similar situations.

long term gains,

A) building a fan base, IU students, youth, and adults.

B) any recruiting plus that a full or much fuller stadium brings, over a half empty one.

C), increased applications to IU in yrs to come, from the much enhanced youth presence.
I've got tickets on the 45 yard line, cushion seats w/backs, and parking pass. When we can't make a game, we often have a hard time giving away the tickets. I've heard(read)many others that have the same problem. We live a couple of hours away and I'm sure that is part of the problem.

There will also be a revolt by some season ticket holders when those with free GA tickets come and sit in the empty seats on the 50. Empty because they were bought by BBall point gatherers that have no interest in FB.

Reactions: IUHartselCol
Good comments. Our friend doesnt seem to see all sides here. He's forgotten those that do pay. Start giving out free tickets and youll end up having to give them all away to no takers. Free doesnt always attract the crowd you want, and can drive away those you do.

Wow, after browsing through this thread there is a tremendous amount of over thinking. At the risk of being cliche, winning truly does solve 99% of the problems.

If IU starts winning consistently and going to bowl games, coupled with an exciting offense, the attendance will surge. Winning 7-8 or more games per year will create tremendous appeal.

The long term solution is to field a winning team, gimmicks won't do it. I just feel like after glancing at this huge thread that winning wasn't stressed nearly enough. I don't want gimmicks, $10 tickets, door prizes etc., but I will gladly pay $50-70 per ticket for a chance to watch a winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT