ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty bad when the team is losing Don Fischer!

To his point, I do think that Payton Sparks did play his ass off. I hope Payton keeps improving, I like this kid.
I love him, he knows his limitations. Do you hear him grunt while ,he is out there. I love Sparks.

Sadly Purdue has become the program that resembles Indiana basketball the most. Hard nosed kids that a coach is getting the most out of. Iu didn’t even recruit half the kids on that roster and most are from Indiana
Painter liked a lot of Knight's beliefs in basketball. The game has changed and he's adapted to it. And no I'm not comparing the two before somebody attacks me.
I still think Woodson could work. I think he needs to come down harder on the players not representing the program. The last couple of flagrants should be seeing a ton of bench time. Knight had a comment on that. Something like ass meets bench...lol

Painter liked a lot of Knight's beliefs in basketball. The game has changed and he's adapted to it. And no I'm not comparing the two before somebody attacks me.
I still think Woodson could work. I think he needs to come down harder on the players not representing the program. The last couple of flagrants should be seeing a ton of bench time. Knight had a comment on that. Something like ass meets bench...lol
Painter has a system and a program. He is also a stickler for details and fundamentals. His practices, are intense and expectations of player in practice are high.

Reactions: z_one
I get more thankful by the year that I was alive and old enough to experience the vast majority of that. Even the late 90s to 2002. There’s not a true fan out there that wouldn’t prefer that to this…

The late 90s were horrible, man. Defections, 8 in a row to PU, 1st round no shows, Reed incident, RMK making it all about him....

We're still paying for his bullshit. I'm not saying he wasn't a great coach or that IU wasn't at fault some...just that RMK could've been an adult at any point and refused.

The late 90s were horrible, man. Defections, 8 in a row to PU, 1st round no shows, Reed incident, RMK making it all about him....

We're still paying for his bullshit. I'm not saying he wasn't a great coach or that IU wasn't at fault some...just that RMK could've been an adult at any point and refused.
posts brian GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Vern Pain

Let me tell you something about my house growing up: my grandpa was 3rd wave at Utah Beach, thought RMK was a fine coach (he sent his kids to IU) but I got the "he's no General" speech quite a bit growing up. To my grandpa, Teddy Roosevelt Jr was his general.

Again, we loved RMK. Just not as much as RMK loved RMK.

My mother and father, US Army Captain and Major, always let it be known that (a) bball is a game and (b) RMK is a man, just like any other man.

In other words, our family didn't fancy silliness over reason.

We gotta watch this idolatry sickness running rampant in this country. Coupled w/our credulity, it's a recipe for a New Dark Ages.

Let me tell you something about my house growing up: my grandpa was 3rd wave at Utah Beach, thought RMK was a fine coach (he sent his kids to IU) but I got the "he's no General" speech quite a bit growing up. To my grandpa, Teddy Roosevelt Jr was his general.

My mother and father, US Army Captain and Major, always let it be known that (a) bball is a game and (b) RMK is a man, just like any other man.

We gotta watch this idolatry sickness running rampant in this country. Coupled w/our credulity, it's a recipe for a New Dark Ages.
Your post I responded to was truth, but there's a large faction of people posting here that might hunt you down and pull your fingernails out for it.

Even MD said he wasn't ready for a job like IU and he was in over his head.
I actually think IU did him a disservice by making him a permanent HC.
If a number of IU players hadn't threatened to transfer unless their assistant coach was hired to replace the fired Knight, Davis wouldn't have been granted an interview. That was a huge mistake by our IU team and the IU administration for kowtowing to the threat, whether real or imagined. It was the start of a downward spiral in decision making and reputation. To my knowledge, no player who threatened to leave has ever been questioned in followup by the media regarding this decision. Do we even know what players, other than Fife, did or did not go along with this threat? That seems odd to me but you know, it's not too late to ask and a journalist, as we once knew of them, should pursue it.

If Myles Brand hadn't initiated his "Zero Tolerance" policy, where would we be today?

If an asteroid hadn't hit our planet off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula 65 million years ago, causing our last major extinction event, where would life, inclusive of IU basketball, be today?

If a butterfly passes silent gas in Papua, New Guinea, does it subsequently give a sh*t about basketball in Bloomington, IN?

Yeah, I was at the very end of the "boomers" so my dad was in WW2. He was in the Ardennes. The Battle of the Bulge began in his 25th birthday. So anyway, he was the same way. He really liked RMK but he didn't like "The General" title.

My dad always took it a step further though. He was actually at IU just before the war began. He really enjoyed IU Basketball under McCracken. He would argue that RMK revived what was already a great program.

Yeah, I was at the very end of the "boomers" so my dad was in WW2. He was in the Ardennes. The Battle of the Bulge began in his 25th birthday. So anyway, he was the same way. He really liked RMK but he didn't like "The General" title.

My dad always took it a step further though. He was actually at IU just before the war began. He really enjoyed IU Basketball under McCracken. He would argue that RMK revived what was already a great program.

And that is what we need now, a good revival!
I had hope that Mike would be it but now I think there is enough evidence to conclude that he is not it!

It was the loss of the single class basketball tourney that did it I tell you. The state lost it's 'we're number one and there can be only one' basketball mojo. Now we're like any other state.

Or maybe it's decades of the university sucking at running a basketball program.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
It was the loss of the single class basketball tourney that did it I tell you. The state lost it's 'we're number one and there can be only one' basketball mojo. Now we're like any other state.

Or maybe it's decades of the university sucking at running a basketball program.
Oh, for sure. As someone who was a senior in high school when they inflicted class sports on us and then a junior at IU when they got rid of our hero, I definitely see a connection. It’s the corrupt bureaucrats vs. the people and the bureaucrats always think they know best.

Matta wasn't run off. Matta's back was finally heeled, and he left to coach again. He also wasn't on the coaching staff.

There is something very fishy about the Matta deal.
He was likely all lined up to coach here and then a BOT member stepped in and said it had to be an Indiana guy, and suddenly Matta “fails his physical” but passes it with flying colors less than a year later at Butler.
It’s probably a cover-up when the hire was overruled.
In any event, the two coaches are gone and the chaperone remains.

Reactions: GThomas
He was likely all lined up to coach here and then a BOT member stepped in and said it had to be an Indiana guy, and suddenly Matta “fails his physical” but passes it with flying colors less than a year later at Butler.
Thad was never going to coach here. He was here as a consultant until the Butler job opened up. His path was and is to be the Butler AD.

You know he had cancer when he was here right?

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I can get behind this one.

Moreover, I think we're not get the real Fife story. I think he was run off because stubborn Woody didn't appreciate or utilize his input.

This whole thing has been a clusterf*** since Day 1.

You know he had cancer when he was here right?

Not cancer.
Drop foot from the back surgery.

First thing he said when he was introduced as the Butler coach was that he wouldn’t have taken the job if he wasn’t physically able to do it.
He mentioned his spinal surgery and the condition afterwards wher he couldn’t walk for about a year.

What form of cancer?

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I can get behind this one.

Moreover, I think we're not get the real Fife story. I think he was run off because stubborn Woody didn't appreciate or utilize his input.

This whole thing has been a clusterf*** since Day 1.
There is zero conspiracy theory around Thad, it was straight forward that he was here until Butler opened.

Fife is still in debate but Woody was straightforward and no reason nor personality to make things up.

There is zero conspiracy theory around Thad, it was straight forward that he was here until Butler opened.
What are you talking about? We all know he was at IU. The theory at hand is that Matta's alleged failed physical wasn't the reason he didn't get the HC gig.

What are you talking about? We all know he was at IU. The theory at hand is that Matta's alleged failed physical wasn't the reason he didn't get the HC gig.
Right. It wasn’t the reason. He was hired as a consultant until the Butler job opened. He was never going to be the head coach at IU.

Right. It wasn’t the reason. He was hired as a consultant until the Butler job opened. He was never going to be the head coach at IU.

It will remain as part of IU bball folklore, along with the sighting of Billy Donovan and Elvis touring Cook Hall while Fepaugh tracked them from the parking lot with a pair of binoculars.

Mike Davis is a nice guy but I would be careful to suggest that we somehow missed out on his coaching prowess. I think he was fired by UAB, got to some NCAAs first rounds at Tex So but has a .366 winning percentage at UD (despite his kid nearly becoming the NCAA all time scorer). We didn't do him or IU a service by hiring him post RMK.
Mike is a stand up guy. He himself said he was not ready to be the IU coach. He's an example of someone who is not a great coach but a great man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT