ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction - Hiller is the man this year

mobilehoosier

Senior
Nov 17, 2012
Mobile, Alabama
I'm unencumbered by facts but seeing weights and knowing Hiller can really coach, I think we make a big move up regarding line play. I feel he may finally have B1G quality horses to work with this year. I also think we break through to 7 wins. (Yes my glasses are rose colored.)
Thoughts?
Go Hoosiers!

The OL improved last year and I think we will see more improvement this year. Hiller will have his hands full dealing with younger linemen working on drive and hand placement along with pass blocking, so it won't be easy to be better. It is good to see the OL bodies improving and I think it will help Coach Hiller get the most out of the OL.

Reactions: crossfire74
Hiller may be the man this year......the man on a hot seat if the line doesn’t take it up a notch. I don’t think last year’s results, although not awful, just were not up to par. Maybe DeBoer’s offense will offset that a bit but the Minnesota game comes to mind.
A 3rd-and-1 on a potentially game winning drive and we allow a guy to come through untouched to drop Scott for a loss? Terrible.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Jury is still out for me. Want him to be successful as that means IU is being successful. Do have to give him benefit of having actual big time players. Feels like the S/C program will now provide him with about 7-8 6'4+ 310+ types who are not freshman. Let's see what he can do this year.

I talked to a former player the other day who said that Hiller was a decent guy but he didn't seem too impressed with his coaching for what ever reason.
Tom Allen will sink or swim with his O and D line recruitment and development. I'm hoping for big improvement for both sides but I still feel we are behind most of the B1G in these most important areas. JMHO.

Jury is still out. Make no mistake about it, TA and Deboer will sink our swim based on his coaching ability. I hope the new OC is involved and aware of the progress of this group. I’ve have seats right next to this group on game days. I will just say the jury is out. Hoping for Hiller to have his best coaching year. Let’s leave it at that.
We have got to Define our leaders up front they have to be vocal.

After each season Allen assesses And has mad changes: S&C, OC. After this Season O &D lines probably most under the spotlight in my view. I admit it’s a bit judging book by cover, but Hiller has always been a question mark for me. Do hope he does well, but call me still TBD.

Hiller may be the man this year......the man on a hot seat if the line doesn’t take it up a notch. I don’t think last year’s results, although not awful, just were not up to par. Maybe DeBoer’s offense will offset that a bit but the Minnesota game comes to mind.
A 3rd-and-1 on a potentially game winning drive and we allow a guy to come through untouched to drop Scott for a loss? Terrible.
Well put. We HAVE to have better OL play to win in the Big10. I am not sure Hiller is the coach to do it He is on the hot seat IMO.

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018
I'm unencumbered by facts but seeing weights and knowing Hiller can really coach, I think we make a big move up regarding line play. ?
Go Hoosiers!
Just a question and not calling you out but when you say "knowing Hiller can coach" do you have experience with him? Just wondering...I mean last year I am prolly one of the few that thinks we had good line play. Was it great, NO but it got us by. That said can you share what you meant by "knowing"?

No doubt the oline is the key for next season. I think we win 6 (after predicting 5 wins each of the last two years). The true breakthrough type season I think is still a year away.

But, if the offensive line really does take a big step forward we could get to 7 or 8 wins this year.

Jury is still out. Make no mistake about it, TA and Deboer will sink our swim based on his coaching ability. I hope the new OC is involved and aware of the progress of this group. I’ve have seats right next to this group on game days. I will just say the jury is out. Hoping for Hiller to have his best coaching year. Let’s leave it at that.
We have got to Define our leaders up front they have to be vocal.[/QUOTE what do you mean you have seats next to this group on game days?

We have got to Define our leaders up front they have to be vocal.
what do you mean you have seats next to this group on game days?

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018
After each season Allen assesses And has mad changes: S&C, OC. After this Season O &D lines probably most under the spotlight in my view. I admit it’s a bit judging book by cover, but Hiller has always been a question mark for me. Do hope he does well, but call me still TBD.
Hiller gets a bad rap around here because of his weight/appearance. While that's certainly not fair, it's the reality of the world we live in.

Hiller gets a bad rap around here because of his weight/appearance. While that's certainly not fair, it's the reality of the world we live in.

I admit I probably was guilty of some of Jose “instant reactions” to him when he was hired. But also Cincinnatti & Houston jobs and smaller stuff prior were kind of “ehh”

You have to be able to coach, and to recruit, which requires being able to relate well to kids & their families.

Obviously way more to coaching than looks and if Allen feels he’s a good coach, I’m willing to give him a shot for sure.

If did t work out for him this year, would think DeBoer would reach out to his guy at Fresno who had been with him at 2-3 stops as OL coach. But hey, I’d love to see Hiller thrive this year.

Just a question and not calling you out but when you say "knowing Hiller can coach" do you have experience with him? Just wondering...I mean last year I am prolly one of the few that thinks we had good line play. Was it great, NO but it got us by. That said can you share what you meant by "knowing"?
No problem with questions. Check his bio. It shows success. Guys in NFL, bowl wins, conference championships, top 10 ranks in first downs, pass protection, etc. He also coached with Allen in the past. No guarantees but certainly a history of success. That’s my reference. Go Hoosiers!

I guess I missed it but I have not seen one post concerning Hiller’s weight until this one. Of course I do have several posters on ignore. :)

People being honest about “book by its cover” reactions, then actual questions of how did Line perform last year, how well did we recruit last year and this year for OL, and how will they perform this season. All questions that people naturally ask about coaches & results. Seems fair to ask questions people have. But The sentiment seems to be wanting him to be successful as would mean Team is doing well.

The criticism of Hiller is based on people that don't understand the change in offense requires drive blocking, at times, that we didn't have taught under the previous offensive station. It was all pulling and zone blocking and those are the type of recruits they pulled in, Feeney was an exception.

No doubt the oline is the key for next season. I think we win 6 (after predicting 5 wins each of the last two years). The true breakthrough type season I think is still a year away.

But, if the offensive line really does take a big step forward we could get to 7 or 8 wins this year.

I expect another 4-6 wins based on schedule alone. Ive just been through the hype of making a bowl for so many years, I can see that we have murderers row next season. Got I want a bowl game, but as you said year four is when they will prove themselves

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT