ADVERTISEMENT

power 5 schools to start paying players

and everyone has this money? Not all schools are operating with a profit
Doesn’t matter. The power 5 agreed to this cap. They weren’t operating on level ground anyway. You act like it should be? You like being a gestapo?

What rules lol
Whatever the schools who would leave the NCAA decide.

But we're actually one of the 'haves' - we'll play by their rules as long as we get to play.

No one in the Administration has the guts or foresight to try anything else.

To follow Title IX, sounds like it may go $10M to men’s sports and $10M to women’s. If so, the women are getting some big raises. That said, I suspect schools find a way to funnel most of this to FB and MBB.

To follow Title IX, sounds like it may go $10M to men’s sports and $10M to women’s. If so, the women are getting some big raises. I kinda doubt they don’t find a way to funnel most of this to FB and MBB.
All you guys with daughters in elementary school better put a tennis racket, basketball, or softball in your little girl's hand. Or put her on a running program.

They could quit the NCAA and play by their own rules.
I wonder if there will ever be a point where people do not follow their alma mater. The team roster changes every year based on which players turn pro, are fired for poor production, leave as they are offered more money at another school, never go to class (realize they will never be at any one institution long enough to collect enough hours to graduate), etc.
Between ages 18-22 players will make a few hundred thousand dollars to a few million dollars depending on ability and the size of the school. After athletic eligibility is gone they go to school for their degree or get whatever non degree job they can.

Why wouldn’t people follow their school? They follow pro sports teams where players make way more $. And people generally have closer ties to their school than pro franchises (in the U.S.).

Players have been leaving after one to three years for sometime now. The portal is a little crazy, but that may settle with the rev share, and in IU’s case our roster is pretty stable.

I doubt much changes.

There is a cap. They can still use the nil route. So it’s still unlimited. This isn’t the NIL type settlement. It’s from the earlier lawsuit for revenue sharing. The title IX lawsuits will be coming imho. So the 20 million can be split however they want. Some are saying they will use the revenue sharing portion on the non revenue to keep title IX quiet. Then use NIL as usual. Lots to unpack.

I wasn’t clear but meant that an overall cap, including the NIL cash, could never be implemented or enforced

Why wouldn’t people follow their school? They follow pro sports teams where players make way more $. And people generally have closer ties to their school than pro franchises (in the U.S.).

Players have been leaving after one to three years for sometime now. The portal is a little crazy, but that may settle with the rev share, and in IU’s case our roster is pretty stable.

I doubt much changes.
Just Covid extensions expire so fewer and younger players in portal. Players like Ballo will no longer be there assuming the NCAA doesn’t extend the extensions.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Just Covid extensions expire so fewer and younger players in portal. Players like Ballo will no longer be there assuming the NCAA doesn’t extend the extensions.
Had this very conversation not long ago.

My belief is that top transfers will still be there as players will develop into stars at smaller programs and transfer to an IU, KY, UNC etc for the money/coaching/exposure/competition

Had this very conversation not long ago.

My belief is that top transfers will still be there as players will develop into stars at smaller programs and transfer to an IU, KY, UNC etc for the money/coaching/exposure/competition
I agree a lot of transfers will be there but no fifth year like Ballo going for that last slim chance to draw NBA interest and get good NIL besides and not Lanier who Barnes is bringing in replace Knecht and not Sion James transferring to the Duke backcourt. I don’t know this year the percentage of players transferring for last year but it must have been 25% or more.

I doubt much changes.
You could be right. We all may just become used to a new normal.
We also might only lose older fans who were raised in the era where freshmen were developed and then contributed.
Even if the sport loses some older guys there will be new young blood added each year. I don’t even know where I will fit in. Guess I will find out in October.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
But I guess once the Covid players are gone there will be somewhat less pressure on average for playing time.

You could be right. We all may just become used to a new normal.
We also might only lose older fans who were raised in the era where freshmen were developed and then contributed.
Even if the sport loses some older guys there will be new young blood added each year. I don’t even know where I will fit in. Guess I will find out in October.
I prefer the old days too, especially before the one and done era when we all knew most of the players on all the key teams.

Some people may bail with all the changes.

When I see Indiana playing MSU or PU or Wisky or UK or whoever I can’t help but get into it.

To follow Title IX, sounds like it may go $10M to men’s sports and $10M to women’s. If so, the women are getting some big raises. That said, I suspect schools find a way to funnel most of this to FB and MBB.
That better not happen. Title 9 is the worst.

I will wonder if this results in all sports except men’s/women basketball and football becoming essentially club sports. The future of these 20 or so low/no revenue sports has to be at risk.

Reactions: ;DAWG
I will wonder if this results in all sports except men’s/women basketball and football becoming essentially club sports. The future of these 20 or so low/no revenue sports has to be at risk.
It is essentially euro club sports with universities as club sponsors due to history. The remaining differences are still limited to issues like university age here (high school feeders unaffiliated and split between school and summer AAU) and not there.

The success of euro players in the NBA (this would trigger Agent Zero), where far fewer play basketball, indicates having a single professional coaching staff year round results in good player development.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT