ADVERTISEMENT

power 5 schools to start paying players

IUBB should only get stronger. The $20M rev share appears to be covered by TV contract increases we’ll be getting. I don’t think we need to raise $ to pay maximum rev share.

So, IU will be paying kids the full rev share (whatever that amount is for bball) + our mighty NIL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
IUBB should only get stronger. The $20M rev share appears to be covered by TV contract increases we’ll be getting. I don’t think we need to raise $ to pay maximum rev share.

So, IU will be paying kids the full rev share (whatever that amount is for bball) + our mighty NIL.
Yeah, but that 20M was already being used for other things. I don't think it's as easy as writing a check out of your money market account.

you don't think NIL goes away, except in legitimate cases like a Catlin Clark or Zion Williamson. I wonder if boosters will still be willing to pony up

Reactions: ams66
Yeah, but that 20M was already being used for other things. I don't think it's as easy as writing a check out of your money market account.
I don’t think so, I’m talking about the ~$30M per year increase in revenue (from where we are today) from TV over the next two years (it’s amazing being the B1G). I don’t think that increase has been earmarked for other things. If it is I would be curious to know on what.

you don't think NIL goes away, except in legitimate cases like a Catlin Clark or Zion Williamson. I wonder if boosters will still be willing to pony up
I don’t see NIL changing. Boosters still want to funnel money to kids on top of the rev share. College players will be like the pros: they have their team/school contract + NIL.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I don’t see NIL changing. Boosters still want to funnel money to kids on top of the rev share. College players will be like the pros: they have their team/school contract + NIL.
Will it keep its popularity with this model? It’s now basically pro sports, which we already have

Reactions: RRgo
Will it keep its popularity with this model? It’s now basically pro sports, which we already have
Yea. College is especially tribal and people want their school to win — no one thinks about player comp during games. NIL started and people still pack stadiums/arenas and watch on TV like they always do.

I don’t think so, I’m talking about the ~$30M per year increase in revenue (from where we are today) from TV over the next two years (it’s amazing being the B1G). I don’t think that increase has been earmarked for other things. If it is I would be curious to know on what.
You may be right, but I have a hard time thinking that the increase wasn't already built into the forecast and was part of the 5 year plan (or however long they plan for)

You may be right, but I have a hard time thinking that the increase wasn't already built into the forecast and was part of the 5 year plan (or however long they plan for)
I’d guess they budgeted the rev share in the five year plan since there were signs this was coming, and I’d guess the TV $ with the new CFB Playoff may have been upside surprise, but I don’t know for sure. I could be wrong.

Regardless, we have $30M more per year coming and we get to spend it on something!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Agreed. This is ultimately going to destroy college sports as we’ve known them. You can argue the benefits, and there are many, but a lot of schools are going to disappear from the athletic venue. Very sad
So sad. I shall shed a tear for William & St. Mary.

I’m not sure I like this?
Are there spending caps?

If not, oh boy……

The big football schools have a monster advantage. IU 13th overall in revenue and so we appear to be in good shape but think what Ohio State or Michigan can do with that setup? Hell, they should be able to handsomely pay ever scholarship guy millions.

There has to be a cap certainly.

And a full ride scholarship

This is getting sad pretty soon players will be employees and be hired and fired. All this greed over money damn shame.

Reactions: DANC
Definitely will cause a massive decrease in revenue for college sports. There is a reason no one watches the G-league.

This is getting sad pretty soon players will be employees and be hired and fired. All this greed over money damn shame.
It will be interesting to see what these school rev share contracts look like. Years, incentives, buyouts, clawbacks, academic requirements (lol), termination, etc. It’s competitive to sign players so I imagine there won’t be much. The one thing I wouldn’t mind is multi-year deals to calm down the portal madness.

Are there spending caps?

If not, oh boy……

The big football schools have a monster advantage. IU 13th overall in revenue and so we appear to be in good shape but think what Ohio State or Michigan can do with that setup? Hell, they should be able to handsomely pay ever scholarship guy millions.

20 million. For all sports. Won’t stop NIL. So this won’t change anything.

That would be crazy. Imagine if an IU or PU, or any big ten or SEC school just said “it is too complicated, too many potential intanglements, we quit”.
You will see it happen. Especially in sports that do not bring in much revenue

You will see it happen. Especially in sports that do not bring in much revenue
That’s my fear. This could be the true beginning of the end for non revenue sports. I know most don’t give a crap about swimming, track and field, etc…. But those are the last true amateur sports where kids dedicate their talents just to be the best at something for no other reason than pure passion for the sport

Are there spending caps?

If not, oh boy……

If there were spending caps do you think it would take SEC schools, Kansas, UNC etc etc one or two seconds to start cheating ?? If I had to bet I would go with one second.

Why would non-rev sports get dropped?
Excess money will be going to the players in the revenue sports. Not every school has a cash cow program, so if they want to compete they will have to pay kids. What happens to university Of Cincy mens track or women’s tennis? They will cut cost somewhere.

Excess money will be going to the players in the revenue sports. Not every school has a cash cow program, so if they want to compete they will have to pay kids. What happens to university Of Cincy mens track or women’s tennis? They will cut cost somewhere.

Isn't this all new money?

The B1G and SEC won’t cut them, they’re flush with revenue.

Smaller schools, maybe, but sort of doubt it. Non-Rev has always lost $, and not sure they cut Track or Tennis just so they can get a few extra decent bball or fball players. I would guess they will force FB and BB to increase their revenue/donations if they want to reach the rev share cap.

If there were spending caps do you think it would take SEC schools, Kansas, UNC etc etc one or two seconds to start cheating ?? If I had to bet I would go with one second.
There is a cap. They can still use the nil route. So it’s still unlimited. This isn’t the NIL type settlement. It’s from the earlier lawsuit for revenue sharing. The title IX lawsuits will be coming imho. So the 20 million can be split however they want. Some are saying they will use the revenue sharing portion on the non revenue to keep title IX quiet. Then use NIL as usual. Lots to unpack.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
That would be crazy. Imagine if an IU or PU, or any big ten or SEC school just said “it is too complicated, too many potential intanglements, we quit”.
They could quit the NCAA and play by their own rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT