ADVERTISEMENT

POTFB

They won’t be the dominant crowd
Purdue fans have a tough call as most of their fans within the state, including their dominant north side of Indy, et.al crowd, have Monday afternoon Sun’s celestial coincidence to consider as alternate entertainment. “Should I go or should I stay?” was the lyric a song. Name that song! Hint: I don’t know the answer.

Purdue fans have a tough call as most of their fans within the state, including their dominant north side of Indy, et.al crowd, have Monday afternoon Sun’s celestial coincidence to consider as alternate entertainment. “Should I go or should I stay?” was the lyric a song. Name that song! Hint: I don’t know the answer.
The Clash... and you have it backwards: "Should I Stay Or Should I Go? If I go there will be trouble... and if I stay it will be double!"

You got it backwards (the name of the song)

You have got to be kidding. I think Purdue has more alumni in California and Arizona than UConn, Alabama and NC State combined. There are 6,000 just in Phoenix.
So you’re saying they dominate the Asian neighborhood of Phoenix, where dim sum is eaten by everyone?

The Clash... and you have it backwards: "Should I Stay Or Should I Go? If I go there will be trouble... and if I stay it will be double!"
The Clash is one of those bands passing me by in the music of time. I remain loyal to Acid Rock of the tumultuous ‘60’s, with a kaleidoscope of colors wafting through its cacophony of heavy notes.

That is a truly weak response, I honestly expected better. The simple fact is that "never" means not ever. That means zero times. The event that will "never occur" doesn't occur, but it did. That means that your repeated prediction of "never" is 100% wrong and everyone reading this thread knows it because that is the English language. In math, that is called a Proof by Negation.

While I believe that you may not have expected to see a Purdue Final Four in your lifetime as true, your prediction of it not occurring remains 100% wrong and trying to weasel out of acknowledging that says a lot about you. And everybody in this thread can see that.

I recently watched the film "Casablanca". In it, Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart) tells Ilsa Lazlo (Ingrid Bergman) that "...we'll always have Paris..." Well, on the positive side, as others have pointed out, you'll always have FDU.
If I'm playing baseball, I'd take going 43 for 44. Nobody's perfect.

You will always have FDU.

I have lurked here for quite a while. I recall very clearly you posting that Purdue would NEVER make a Final Four. Someone posted that you could never make a prediction of the future like that with certainty and you made fun of that. I guess that you were very, very wrong.
Everything lined perfect for them this year. They had a pretty easy draw and basically it was four straight home games. Oh and that little other thing called the refs.

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
Everything lined perfect for them this year. They had a pretty easy draw and basically it was four straight home games. Oh and that little other thing called the refs.
They have been injury free this season, something unheard of in the basketball annals here on campus. When the stars and planets align, it becomes their time. I’ve prepared myself for the worst.

What did Purdue have to do with the draw, or the officiating? Would you be in a position to make a similar claim about any other Final Four teams? Did not UConn play what amounted to four home games? Is that not what seeding is all about? Are not UConn and Purdue the two highest ranked teams and the ones that played exactly as they were seeded? Did you know that Tennessee was one of the highest fouling teams in the country? Did you know that five months ago Purdue shot 48 free throws against the Vols in a game four thousand miles away and with totally different officials? Isn’t what you have a strong anti Purdue bias which impacts any possibility of objectivity?

You just made one. (And President Whitten, is that you?)

Indiana supporters living on it's title last won 37 years ago, one final four, 25 years ago. Purdue becoming number one program in the state, right now.

It sucks, but the jokes and jabs will probably be creative at least.
Five more FF and winning Five of them with is getting none , grow their fan base by 3x and improve their facilities and I will consider them a peer.

Five more FF and winning Five of them with is getting none , grow their fan base by 3x and improve their facilities and I will consider them a peer.
Yeah, I'm still a fan who brags on the Hoosier basketball history. Titles is what it's about. Along with a tremendous legacy. As someone said the movie is named Hoosiers.

Frustrated by the recent somewhat wasted decades is all. I feel like I saw an admin waste a legacy before, in hockey, up here at nearby Michigan Tech. Went from winning titles to being one of the worst programs in the country in a few short years, and it lasted 30 years. Went from the best all time winning percentage, down to about 15th.
Now I have seen it at Indiana for 25 years. "We're great! Just roll the ball out there! It's our birthright!"

But the people who work(ed) in admin and athletics at the school, still get paid. So maybe they don't care as much as I would've expected about being great at things.

Last edited:
FDU will appear in the history of Purdue's W/L record, you are right about that. It will remain prominent in the minds of some here. But it will not be prominent in the minds of the general public.

Depending on how Purdue does this weekend, the velocity of memory loss will change. People will remember that Virginia won the NC a few years ago. Much fewer people will remember that Virginia lost their first tournament game the year before. And much, much fewer people will even be able to name the team that defeated them. The same will be true for Purdue.

However, Jimbo will never forget and you may join him in that. The result for you and him is that you will be members of a very small and declining minority.

Sorry to let the facts get in the way of your opinion:

UConn played seeds 16,9,5 and 3 to advance as a #1 seed.
Purdue played seeds 16,8,5 and 2 to advance. TN was a higher-ranked #2 seed than Iowa State who was in the East. With the exception of Gonzaga (a 5 instead of a 4), chalk held in the regional path. Chalk did not hold in 3 of UConn's 4 games.

As was pointed out, #1 seeds are attempted to be placed in the region closest to them. UNC went west because Houston was higher ranked and thus took the South. This is SOP for the Committee.

Last edited:
Reactions: indyogb
FDU will appear in the history of Purdue's W/L record, you are right about that. It will remain prominent in the minds of some here. But it will not be prominent in the minds of the general public.

Depending on how Purdue does this weekend, the velocity of memory loss will change. People will remember that Virginia won the NC a few years ago. Much fewer people will remember that Virginia lost their first tournament game the year before. And much, much fewer people will even be able to name the team that defeated them. The same will be true for Purdue.

However, Jimbo will never forget and you may join him in that. The result for you and him is that you will be members of a very small and declining minority.
Truth of the matter being what it is, the minds of the general public aren’t even aware there is a college basketball FF tournament this coming weekend, nor would they care if they did. In the grand scheme of things yet to come, it ranks as a nothing burger in bag at a drive-thru window of White Castle.

Without answering publicly, how many IU fans here now can even name the 5 years IU won national championships in basketball? I bet its far fewer than one might think to expect/expect to think.

FWIW, (nadadamnthing ) I’m ashamed to admit I got it wrong myself, expecting to think better.

Yes and Minnesota has 7 NCs in football. They rule the football world just like IU does basketball. LOL

Reactions: BleedinGold

People remember historic, awful losses and when big underdogs win. Haven't you seen Hoosiers?

• Haha
Reactions: z_one
You do remember this is an IU basketball message board, right? Doesn't your strong Purdue bias impact any possibility of objectivity?
What in what I wrote was not supported by factual data? I subscribe to objectivity. You can be a fan without being a fanatic. Edey’s not being called for many fouls is supported by the data covering a career:

2020-21 - 64 fouls in 28 games. 411 mins
2021-22 - 74 fouls in 37 games 703 mins
2022-23 - 56 fouls in 34 games. 1077 mins
2023-24 - 72 fouls in 37 games. 1170 mins

Sorry to let the facts get in the way of your opinion:

UConn played seeds 16,9,5 and 3 to advance as a #1 seed.
Purdue played seeds 16,8,5 and 2 to advance. TN was a higher-ranked #2 seed than Iowa State who was in the East. With the exception of Gonzaga (a 5 instead of a 4), chalk held in the regional path. Chalk did not hold in 3 of UConn's 4 games.

As was pointed out, #1 seeds are attempted to be placed in the region closest to them. UNC went west because Houston was higher ranked and thus took the South. This is SOP for the Committee.
It’s very simple, all somebody has to do is say “I stand corrected” when they make a statement that is proven to me inaccurate.

If I'm playing baseball, I'd take going 43 for 44. Nobody's perfect.

You will always have FDU.
If we were playing baseball or even discussing baseball, your post might have some degree of relevancy. But we are not discussing baseball, rather your repeated prediction that Purdue would not get to a Final Four. And as much as you try to dodge being called on it, you were 100% wrong. I believe that you would get laughed out of court if you tried that logic on a judge.
People remember historic, awful losses and when big underdogs win. Haven't you seen Hoosiers?
Actually, I have seen the movie, which is fiction loosely based on fact. While the story of Milan, IN back in the 1950s is a nice one, the number of people outside the state of Indiana who even know that there is a real-life story somewhere behind the film and are able to name the team can probably be counted on one's fingers and toes. The Virginia example is relevant here. Finding someone who can name the team that beat Virginia is very, very rare. I can because I follow the sport and live in the region of the victor. But even people around here don't remember. FDU alums will remember, and FDU has the advantage of metro NYC media to bring it up, but even that is fading quickly - and I have an extended family member that went to FDU. If you believe that the loss will remain significant then I have a bridge in NYC that I can get you for a very good price.

Last edited:
If we were playing baseball or even discussing baseball, you post might have some degree of relevancy. But we are not discussing baseball, rather your repeated prediction that Purdue would not get to a Final Four. And as much as you try to dodge being called on it, you were 100% wrong. I believe that you would get laughed out of court if you tried that logic on a judge.

Actually, I have seen the movie, which is fiction loosely based on fact. While the story of Milan, IN back in the 1950s is a nice one, the number of people outside the state of Indiana who even know that there is a real-life story somewhere behind the film and are able to name the team can probably be counted on one's fingers and toes. The Virginia example is relevant here. Finding someone who can name the team that beat Virginia is very, very rare. I can because I follow the sport and live in the region of the victor. But even people around here don't remember. FDU alums will remember, and FDU has the advantage of metro NYC media to bring it up, but even that is fading quickly - and I have an extended family member that went to FDU. If you believe that the loss will remain significant then I have a bridge in NYC that I can get you for a very good price.
I'll take a 98% success rate any day of the week.

The UMBC 3 point barrage is historic and epic. I would bet money every serious basketball nut that I know remembers that game and team.

Hoosiers/Milan is one of the greatest stories ever told. The screenplay was nominated for an Oscar, and Hoosiers is arguably the greatest sports movie ever made. David slays Goliath. Milan is arguably the most famous high School in the nation.

UMBC. FDU. Milan. People don't forget underdog stories this good.

IU fans have means and options.

Coach Cigs may get their attention however.
I think you are right there. I think he is going to be a really good coach for you. Anyone sleeping on where he will get IU is going to regret it. IU fans need to step up and support him. I think this will be a very good hire for IU.

The UMBC 3 point barrage is historic and epic. I would bet money every serious basketball nut that I know remembers that game and team.

Hoosiers/Milan is one of the greatest stories ever told. The screenplay was nominated for an Oscar, and Hoosiers is arguably the greatest sports movie ever made. David slays Goliath. Milan is arguably the most famous high School in the nation.

Success? You don't understand the word. LOL

And you didn't either when you had a bad coach. Your just bitter that purdont only has one championship and IU has 24 !
LOL I'm not at all bitter. Why would I be bitter? I don't care about IU's 24 championships and neither does anyone else not associated with IU. That you feel you have to parade them out when we are talking about basketball shows your own personal insecurities. I'm glad you are proud of your 24 championships. However, if IU fans were really proud of those accomplishments they would "show out" when it counts. Like maybe Homecoming? Cignetti may change that because his personality is kind of a force of nature. If he doesn't it will be because IU fans don't support him as they should. IU hasn't supported their football program for most of my lifetime. Trotting out championships, some in sports that Purdue doesn't even compete in to me is laughable. Sort of like Michigan or Wisconsin or ND bragging about the "frozen four". No one cares. The majority of the BT doesn't have a hockey team. Have a good day.

FDU alums will remember, and FDU has the advantage of metro NYC media to bring it up, but even that is fading quickly - and I have an extended family member that went to FDU. If you believe that the loss will remain significant then I have a bridge in NYC that I can get you for a very good price.
Nice try, but do you know who will remember most of all? Purdue fans. Don't deny it. It's the same thing that keeps you coming here for validation when your team is in the Final Four.

I always considered your comment about Purdue never making a Final Four as totally ridiculous. Sean Connery once declared that he would never make another James Bond movie but he did. It was called "Never Say Never Again." Events that seem unlikely to us can and do occur fairly regularly.

However, you have topped yourself with the post that "Milan is arguably the most famous high school in the nation." That one is almost beyond absurd. I have lived in many parts of the USA. There are some well known high schools. Examples would be Boston Latin, Bronx HS of Science, Stuyvesant and Horace Mann in New York, Sidwell Friends, St. Albans, DeMatha and Georgetown Prep in Washington, DC, New Trier, Chicago Latin and Francis Parker in metro Chicago and Harvard-Westlake and Mater Dei in LA. But there is no way Milan is found in that company. In the movie, that is not even the name of the school. People in Indiana maybe aware, but outside of the state an extraordinarily small number do. Your post is a howler.

While "Hoosiers" is a good movie, it is not the best in its genre. "Chariots of Fire" was nominated for 7 Academy Awards and won 4 - including Best Picture. "The Natural" was nominated for 4 Oscars. "Field of Dreams" was nominated for 3; "Hoosiers" for only 2.

I get that you really like the film but you grossly overstate its place among the general public.

I would strongly advise that you not make those bets and save yourself a bunch of money.

Last edited:
I always considered your comment about Purdue never making a Final Four as totally ridiculous. Sean Connery once declared that he would never make another James Bond movie but he did. It was called "Never Say Never Again." Events that seem unlikely to us can and do occur fairly regularly.

However, you have topped yourself with the post that "Milan is arguably the most famous high school in the nation." That one is almost beyond absurd. I have lived in many parts of the USA. There are some well known high schools. Examples would be Boston Latin, Bronx HS of Science, Stuyvesant and Horace Mann in New York, Sidwell Friends, St. Albans, DeMatha and Georgetown Prep in Washington, DC, New Trier, Chicago Latin and Francis Parker in metro Chicago and Harvard-Westlake and Mater Dei in LA. But there is no way Milan is found in that company. In the movie, that is not even the name of the school. People in Indiana maybe aware, but outside of the state an extraordinarily small number do. Your post is a howler.

While "Hoosiers" is a good movie, it is not the best in its genre. "Chariots of Fire" was nominated for 7 Academy Awards and won 4 - including Best Picture. "The Natural" was nominated for 4 Oscars. "Field of Dreams" was nominated for 3; "Hoosiers" for only 2.

I get that you really like the film but you grossly overstate its place among the general public.

I would strongly advise that you not make those bets and save yourself a bunch of money.
You're that ARCB102000 twit aren't you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT