ADVERTISEMENT

Post your Friday jams here!!!

I discovered a world of music via 4-Way Street,by working my way backwards.IIRC the sessions were from 69-70,and it was probably around 72 or so when I started listening to it.But I was only a junior in high school,and we didn't have the media back then that allowed a kid in Indiana to discover anything you didn't really hear on the radio...

Here's one of Neil's songs that bridge the gap between BS and CSNY.IIRC,he wrote it to explain why he felt the need to repeatedly walk away and then come back and rejoin the Springfield.Fittingly enough here is a version from the CSNY reunion tour in '74,which marked the onslaught of another period of him and Steve bickering with each other...
That one's awesome. But we can't talk CSNY/4-Way Street without posting this song at least once:

I will give them a huge amount of credit for one thing. They were the first original "rock" band. As other bands of their era regurgitated blues, folk, jazz and country, they basically formed a new style. It still had those same influences, but either by design, accident, or incompetence, ie.. they just did it so badly that it sounded way different. Incompetence isn't always a bad thing in music.

"Rock" is such a vague and arbitrary description of a musical style that incorporates every known musical style on the planet, at one time or another, that bands generally need a second description to define them. Zeppelin played blues rock, and folk rock. The Who played rock. It didn't sound bluesy enough, or folky enough, or country enough to need a second description. (or always being off enough that it just didn't sound like it was supposed to?)

I also believe Townsend has retarded timing. Which isn't always bad thing. He just couldn't play classical music with his timing. It would drive him insane. Neil Young, Mark Knopfler, Kurt Cobain all have retarded timing. Each of them have a hitch in their time. It's what makes them unique. It's also why I believe the Who's music didn't sound like a regurgitation of older styles. Townsend's rhythm in a technical sense was that bad.
Mark Knopfler is another vastly underrated artist. Whatever might be wrong with him technically, it just works.

Awesome. I'm a little too young for that. I saw quite a few great shows at IU though. Why Store was fun. Wyclef was awesome.

Anyway, since the topic has "jam" in the title, how about a great jam band?

Some friends of friends bought an old quarry back in 1979. They were there in the summer drinking beer and listening to the radio when the news came out that Lowell George had died. So they raised their beers in a toast and promised to come back every June in honor of him. After a few years, it turned into one of the biggest outdoor events in northern Indiana: the Lowell George Memorial Barbecue and Hog Roast. A weekend long event, they'd roast a couple of pigs, and do this great thing with baked beans, where they buried a big pot of beans underground, built a fire on top, and let it burn for 24 hours. Awesome. Anyway, eventually we got an invite and went every year. I even have some t-shirts. My dad had this brilliant plan - this was his weekend to let loose. He had this 5 gallon Gatorade thing, and he'd buy a couple of liters of gin, a few 2-liters of tonic and a bag full of limes, throw them in there with a couple of bags of ice, and just drink GNT's out of the spigot all weekend.

He'd also smoke. For about ten years, he'd quit smoking the Monday after Lowell George, go a full year on the wagon, and then smoke like a chimney for a few days. Everyone was just drunk as a skunk.

But we had a regular spot for our camp, and we'd set up a big stereo system. We weren't the only ones. No matter where you went, you could here good music.

Anyway, they had to shut it down when it got too big and they had problems. But...

You just won the thread. A+ for the day. vbg Little Feat may very well be the most influential band from the 70's, if not them then Velvet Underground. They might not have sold as many albums as others, but every serious musician owned and loved Feat and VU. We hear and have heard their influences daily.

Awesome. I'm a little too young for that. I saw quite a few great shows at IU though. Why Store was fun. Wyclef was awesome.

Anyway, since the topic has "jam" in the title, how about a great jam band?

Some friends of friends bought an old quarry back in 1979. They were there in the summer drinking beer and listening to the radio when the news came out that Lowell George had died. So they raised their beers in a toast and promised to come back every June in honor of him. After a few years, it turned into one of the biggest outdoor events in northern Indiana: the Lowell George Memorial Barbecue and Hog Roast. A weekend long event, they'd roast a couple of pigs, and do this great thing with baked beans, where they buried a big pot of beans underground, built a fire on top, and let it burn for 24 hours. Awesome. Anyway, eventually we got an invite and went every year. I even have some t-shirts. My dad had this brilliant plan - this was his weekend to let loose. He had this 5 gallon Gatorade thing, and he'd buy a couple of liters of gin, a few 2-liters of tonic and a bag full of limes, throw them in there with a couple of bags of ice, and just drink GNT's out of the spigot all weekend.

He'd also smoke. For about ten years, he'd quit smoking the Monday after Lowell George, go a full year on the wagon, and then smoke like a chimney for a few days. Everyone was just drunk as a skunk.

But we had a regular spot for our camp, and we'd set up a big stereo system. We weren't the only ones. No matter where you went, you could here good music.

Anyway, they had to shut it down when it got too big and they had problems. But...

As long as we're talking Lowell

You just won the thread. A+ for the day. vbg Little Feat may very well be the most influential band from the 70's, if not them then Velvet Underground. They might not have sold as many albums as others, but every serious musician owned and loved Feat and VU. We hear and have heard their influences daily.
So many great memories from those weekends. Jumping off the sand pile. Swimming in the quarry. Moving from camp to camp sharing food and listening to different music. Taking a dump at the edge of the gravel pile wondering if an animal was going to jump out of the woods and bite my ass. LOL.

Man, I must be getting old. I'm at that age now where I think back on my youth and wish I could go back and do that again.

I'm gonna crash. But I can't until I mention Gram Parsons in that group. They are 1 and 1a, but he is probably next.

As long as we're talking Lowell

That chorus is one of the best pure country melodies ever written. Not the words, the words never matter to me. The notes of the vocal. I would love to have had come up with that. I hate talk songs but the annoyance I feel by the talky part, and it is annoying, only adds to the dynamic of that chorus when it breaks in. Lowell was a genius.

That chorus is one of the best pure country melodies ever written. Not the words, the words never matter to me. The notes of the vocal. I would love to have had come up with that. I hate talk songs but the annoyance I feel by the talky part, and it is annoying, only adds to the dynamic of that chorus when it breaks in. Lowell was a genius.
Definitely a genius. He was like if you took Duane Allman and injected him with a shot of Soul.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and F*** Gregg. Any time you bring up the Allmans, you gotta say that. F*** Gregg.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I discovered a world of music via 4-Way Street,by working my way backwards.IIRC the sessions were from 69-70,and it was probably around 72 or so when I started listening to it.But I was only a junior in high school,and we didn't have the media back then that allowed a kid in Indiana to discover anything you didn't really hear on the radio...

Here's one of Neil's songs that bridge the gap between BS and CSNY.IIRC,he wrote it to explain why he felt the need to repeatedly walk away and then come back and rejoin the Springfield.Fittingly enough here is a version from the CSNY reunion tour in '74,which marked the onslaught of another period of him and Steve bickering with each other...

Ed. - Fixed the formatting because it was pissing me off.
Man, I am so jealous of the bands you got to see. I've seen a lot of groups, but the few you mentioned ... you lucky bastard.

Are you people still awake? I'm having my morning coffee.
It's the weekend. I sleep enough to do bad things again, regardless what they are and that's enough. The house is quiet except for Feat playing and you can probably guess the rest. This is actually a very good thread. the irony is it's about music, and Money started it.

So many great memories from those weekends. Jumping off the sand pile. Swimming in the quarry. Moving from camp to camp sharing food and listening to different music. Taking a dump at the edge of the gravel pile wondering if an animal was going to jump out of the woods and bite my ass. LOL.

Man, I must be getting old. I'm at that age now where I think back on my youth and wish I could go back and do that again.
I used to think getting old would be a drag. It's not too bad, I'm really enjoying life. The only thing I don't like about it is the healing rate being slowed. The last time I played hoops in a league, I was in bed for three days.

I've posted this before, but I think it fits the theme of this thread:

Since you list "Margaritaville" as your location,I'll assume you're into JB if not an actual PH.I'm actually into Buffett for the music,at least up until 2000 or so...

Seen him a few times,always local.Last time was Deer Creek in 2001,the show postponed by 9-11.It went from being a Sept "beach Party" to a late Oct/early Nov freeze out.There were still folks in grass skirts and sandals,and I had my freakin winter coat on.

Only time I remember being colder at an outdoor show was when I saw the last show of The Rising (Springsteen) tour at Shea Stadium in Oct 2003.Cold with freezing rain,and I flew in from Indy totally unprepared for that type of weather...

Anyway,here is Trying To Reason,from A1A...

Since you list "Margaritaville" as your location,I'll assume you're into JB if not an actual PH.I'm actually into Buffett for the music,at least up until 2000 or so...

Seen him a few times,always local.Last time was Deer Creek in 2001,the show postponed by 9-11.It went from being a Sept "beach Party" to a late Oct/early Nov freeze out.There were still folks in grass skirts and sandals,and I had my freakin winter coat on.

Only time I remember being colder at an outdoor show was when I saw the last show of The Rising (Springsteen) tour at Shea Stadium in Oct 2003.Cold with freezing rain,and I flew in from Indy totally unprepared for that type of weather...

Anyway,here is Trying To Reason,from A1A...

I'm a HUGE Parrothead. Been to see Jimmy more than any other musician live. Went to Deer Creek every year for about a decade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT