ADVERTISEMENT

Post your Friday jams here!!!

Watching the Eagles documentary, I've gotta say Glenn Frey had to be an equal or greater greed influence. Essentially when they reunited the 2 of them decided they deserved the greater portion of the pie due to their success during the break-up/hiatus. And in the documentary, Frey seemed to be the bigger douche about it.
It started long before that. Henley demanded that the record company charge 1 more dollar on their albums in 73 or 74. He also raised the gate price more than once. The time you're talking about was the third or fourth time the Eagles raised ticket prices, though the most drastic. Everyone followed suit, not only in music, but sports, movies, everything. Frey was a douchebag, and Walsh became one, but that was purely Henley pushing it.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...
Since I know what a HUGE Dave Evans fan you are, I'll just leave this here. FWIW, this performance and song are in my top 3 all time. Just a great song and performance. We can agree to disagree. Bastage. Vbg

I Cover The Waterfront............. JL Hooker and Van Morrison..

McHoop

How about some Humble Pie.Takes me back to my Shea 3 days.The Pie was a fixture at Keggers,although it was usually "I Don't Need No Doctor" AKA "The anthem"...

Reactions: T.M.P.
Since I know what a HUGE Dave Evans fan you are, I'll just leave this here. FWIW, this performance and song are in my top 3 all time. Just a great song and performance. We can agree to disagree. Bastage. Vbg
Dude, fwiw, I like them when they aren't over processed and over layered. That song is border line. My reasoning is fairly simple. They don't have the chops to be the band the producers and Bono tried to make them. I know people bought it, but, whatever. I've always used the following analogy. U2 is like a dirty little Irish girl who tries to dress up like a princess. She's best when she's just raw and nasty.

Reactions: hoosierdug
How about some Humble Pie.Takes me back to my Shea 3 days.The Pie was a fixture at Keggers,although it was usually "I Don't Need No Doctor" AKA "The anthem"...

That's one of my favorite songs ever. I was going to post it earlier along with some Faces, and T-Rex... doing a early 70 Brit band thing.

Here's a guilty pleasure- Ian Hunter/Mott The Hoople.I love this album,and "Memphis" is an awesome song about Rock and Roll and the Road...

Some Spade said "Rock and Rollers,you're all the same,Man that's your instrument!"- I felt so ashamed...

Wow there's only four bad songs in this whole thread (+ Moops) at least until Money posts. Good job OTF. No I won't say which. lol
Here's a guilty pleasure- Ian Hunter/Mott The Hoople.I love this album,and "Memphis" is an awesome song about Rock and Roll and the Road...

Some Spade said "Rock and Rollers,you're all the same,Man that's your instrument!"- I felt so ashamed...

Mott was pretty good too. That era from 71 to 74 (+/-) is something I've been getting into lately (or again.)Mott, Bowie, T-Rex, Faces, Stewart, Humble Pie, ie the guys who weren't Zeppelin. The Faces were so underrated.

That's one of my favorite songs ever. I was going to post it earlier along with some Faces, and T-Rex... doing a early 70 Brit band thing.

Keeping with that theme,here is a duet from The Thin White Duke himself.Ziggy is probably my favorite Bowie album overall,and Suffragette City is another great party rocker...

Last edited:
Wow there's only four bad songs in this whole thread (+ Moops) at least until Money posts. Good job OTF. No I won't say which. lol

Mott was pretty good too. That era from 71 to 74 (+/-) is something I've been getting into lately (or again.)Mott, Bowie, T-Rex, Faces, Stewart, Humble Pie, ie the guys who weren't Zeppelin. The Faces were so underrated.

I gotta go on. since you got me started. Every band listed above has a very unique almost R&B like, funky, highly syncopated rhythm. The Faces and Stewart probably the least. It's the reason I've been listening to them. Bowie was all over the place but he too had some very funky riffs. Rock (by white bands) was only played like that for a minute (that era alone) and it seems to be a unique trait of blues (and folk) based rock bands coming out of England in the early 70's. Every band above (Faces and Stewart the least again) also had a huge following in NYC at that time. Also, Zeppelin didn't share the same funky timing....

I gotta go on. since you got me started. Every band listed above has a very unique almost R&B like, funky, highly syncopated rhythm. The Faces and Stewart probably the least. It's the reason I've been listening to them. Bowie was all over the place but he too had some very funky riffs. Rock (by white bands) was only played like that for a minute (that era alone) and it seems to be a unique trait of blues (and folk) based rock bands coming out of England in the early 70's. Every band above (Faces and Stewart the least again) also had a huge following in NYC at that time. Also, Zeppelin didn't share the same funky timing....

I really love early Rod,with the Faces and solo as well.Cut Across Shorty from Gasoline Alley

And a song that,imho, spells out exactly why Rod is in the RRHOF- Every Picture Tells A Story...

Rod Stewart is sorely underrated. Seriously.

I really love early Rod,with the Faces and solo as well.Cut Across Shorty from Gasoline Alley And a song that,imho, spells out exactly why Rod is in the RRHOF- Every Picture Tells A Story...

Yes, he is. Early Stewart with and without Faces, is absolutely wonderful but it's damn hard to get over the song below. Every Picture I believe is one of the best albums ever cut. I think what he eventually became is the reason they're that underrated.

He tried to make serious music again, but by then it was too late. The Faces were amazingly creative. That was a great collection of talent.

I'm a huge Quadrophenia Fan.During the '75-76 season,Dr Jimmy was the song we fired up on my dorm floor,prior to heading over to Assembly Hall. But 5:15 is hard to top from a pure rocker standpoint...

Yes, he is. Early Stewart with and without Faces, is absolutely wonderful but it's damn hard to get over the song below. Every Picture I believe is one of the best albums ever cut. I think what he eventually became is the reason they're that underrated.

He tried to make serious music again, but by then it was too late. The Faces were amazingly creative. That was a great collection of talent.
I actually really liked his American Songbook series. A lot of classics he covered, and he actually did them very well. A lot of covers of classics suck, but his didn't.

Okay Goat, you're going through much of my music collection today. That's my favorite Stills song. Where did you pick this stuff up at? Just curious.
4-Way Street has always been my favorite album, but we always listened to it on vinyl. One day, since our current vinyl copy was wearing out (we went through several), I decided to upgrade to CD, and discovered the bonus tracks.

On a deeper level, though, my dad was a savant for music. Not playing, but listening and appreciating. I grew up with headphones over my ears, listening to CSNY/BS, War, Osibisa, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Steely Dan, Blind Faith, and so on. My dad taught me two things in my life that will always affect me: 1) to love books and 2) what actually constitutes good music.

4-Way Street has always been my favorite album, but we always listened to it on vinyl. One day, since our current vinyl copy was wearing out (we went through several), I decided to upgrade to CD, and discovered the bonus tracks.

On a deeper level, though, my dad was a savant for music. Not playing, but listening and appreciating. I grew up with headphones over my ears, listening to CSNY/BS, War, Osibisa, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Steely Dan, Blind Faith, and so on. My dad taught me two things in my life that will always affect me: 1) to love books and 2) what actually constitutes good music.

Nice, I knew there was an older influence. Zizkov was influenced by his brother. I was given all these songs by my first GF's older brother. They also taught me my first chords. Turned me onto blues, jazz, Dylan, etc etc etc. I think they liked me more that she did. She broke my heart. lol.

My son knows all of this music going back to the Smith field recordings. I'm so grateful to them for starting me on that journey and I'm so glad I got to pass it on. Eclectic taste in music is wonderful thing. I hate it when people are stuck in one era or genre.

My all-time favorite song of all-time forever.

I had always heard that Neil wrote this out of frustration with Springfield,sort of epitomized by the fact that Richie actually sang lead on it.Supposedly the story was that "management" thought Neil's voice was too weird to sing lead...

But it may actually date back to Neil's schoolboy days in Winnipeg,and some of the alienation he dealt with back then.I've heard about a "special needs" boy who was a friend of his and used to ring a bell,and one day some other kids held him down and took his bell.The kid seemed to withdraw deeper into his own world,and of course it was exactly the type of event that Neil would draw songwriting inspiration from...

Here's a classic from Tonight's The Night...

Nice, I knew there was an older influence. Zizkov was influenced by his brother. I was given all these songs by my first GF's older brother. They also taught me my first chords. Turned me onto blues, jazz, Dylan, etc etc etc. I think they liked me more that she did. She broke my heart. lol.

My son knows all of this music going back to the Smith field recordings. I'm so grateful to them for starting me on that journey and I'm so glad I got to pass it on. Eclectic taste in music is wonderful thing. I hate it when people are stuck in one era or genre.
Nice. It's important not to be limited.

In later years, I even turned him onto some music. We both got into folk, and traded obscure artists. He taught me about Ellis Paul. I showed him Lori McKenna and Christine Kane. We even got into Dave Matthews for that short period he was good (i.e., Live at Luther College). He found Greg Brown. Despite me being the younger one, he also discovered Shawn Mullins. Everyone knows Lullaby, of course, but if you'd not familiar with his other work, you gotta check it out.

I'm a huge Quadrophenia Fan.During the '75-76 season,Dr Jimmy was the song we fired up on my dorm floor,prior to heading over to Assembly Hall. But 5:15 is hard to top from a pure rocker standpoint...

I have some strong unpopular opinions on the Who. Simplified. They prove the theory that a great drummer and bassist can make even the most average singer and guitarist sound good.

Don't get me wrong; Townsend, obviously, is a great songwriter, but, especially early, he was most noted for his guitar playing. Which is average at best. Then we have Daltrey, who was said to have an operatic quality voice. Only he didn't. He has a good voice, which he didn't use very effectively. Entwhistle and Moon were maybe the best rhythm section in rock music.

Hmmm ...

I have some strong unpopular opinions on the Who. Simplified. They prove the theory that a great drummer and bassist can make even the most average singer and guitarist sound good.

Don't get me wrong; Townsend, obviously, is a great songwriter, but, especially early, he was most noted for his guitar playing. Which is average at best. Then we have Daltrey, who was said to have an operatic quality voice. Only he didn't. He has a good voice, which he didn't use very effectively. Entwhistle and Moon were maybe the best rhythm section in rock music.

Hmmm ...
I've never been as big a fan of the Who as others, but Tommy was a brilliant album overall. None of the songs are brilliant, but as a concept, it was great. It's like War Child - every song has its merits, but as a whole package, that's where it shines.

As long as we're doing the BS thing, there is one other song from 4-Way Street that is better than Black Queen:

How about the post-BS thing,when Richie and Messina left and formed Poco with Rusty Young and Randy Meisner.Later on Timmy Schmidt followed Meisner's lead and used Poco as a springboard to join the Eagles.And Messina,feeling Richie was too controlling left and was replaced by Paul Cotton for the 3rd album...

I always loved Paul's vocals,and this song still holds up well some 40 yrs later...

This is a great version.I wasn't a huge Traffic fan,but they're another group I saw live at IU...
Awesome. I'm a little too young for that. I saw quite a few great shows at IU though. Why Store was fun. Wyclef was awesome.

Anyway, since the topic has "jam" in the title, how about a great jam band?

Some friends of friends bought an old quarry back in 1979. They were there in the summer drinking beer and listening to the radio when the news came out that Lowell George had died. So they raised their beers in a toast and promised to come back every June in honor of him. After a few years, it turned into one of the biggest outdoor events in northern Indiana: the Lowell George Memorial Barbecue and Hog Roast. A weekend long event, they'd roast a couple of pigs, and do this great thing with baked beans, where they buried a big pot of beans underground, built a fire on top, and let it burn for 24 hours. Awesome. Anyway, eventually we got an invite and went every year. I even have some t-shirts. My dad had this brilliant plan - this was his weekend to let loose. He had this 5 gallon Gatorade thing, and he'd buy a couple of liters of gin, a few 2-liters of tonic and a bag full of limes, throw them in there with a couple of bags of ice, and just drink GNT's out of the spigot all weekend.

He'd also smoke. For about ten years, he'd quit smoking the Monday after Lowell George, go a full year on the wagon, and then smoke like a chimney for a few days. Everyone was just drunk as a skunk.

But we had a regular spot for our camp, and we'd set up a big stereo system. We weren't the only ones. No matter where you went, you could here good music.

Anyway, they had to shut it down when it got too big and they had problems. But...

I discovered a world of music via 4-Way Street,by working my way backwards.IIRC the sessions were from 69-70,and it was probably around 72 or so when I started listening to it.But I was only a junior in high school,and we didn't have the media back then that allowed a kid in Indiana to discover anything you didn't really hear on the radio...

Here's one of Neil's songs that bridge the gap between BS and CSNY.IIRC,he wrote it to explain why he felt the need to repeatedly walk away and then come back and rejoin the Springfield.Fittingly enough here is a version from the CSNY reunion tour in '74,which marked the onslaught of another period of him and Steve bickering with each other...

Ed. - Fixed the formatting because it was pissing me off.

I've never been as big a fan of the Who as others, but Tommy was a brilliant album overall. None of the songs are brilliant, but as a concept, it was great. It's like War Child - every song has its merits, but as a whole package, that's where it shines.

I will give them a huge amount of credit for one thing. They were the first original "rock" band. As other bands of their era regurgitated blues, folk, jazz and country, they basically formed a new style. It still had those same influences, but either by design, accident, or incompetence, ie.. they just did it so badly that it sounded way different. Incompetence isn't always a bad thing in music.

"Rock" is such a vague and arbitrary description of a musical style that incorporates every known musical style on the planet, at one time or another, that bands generally need a second description to define them. Zeppelin played blues rock, and folk rock. The Who played rock. It didn't sound bluesy enough, or folky enough, or country enough to need a second description. (or always being off enough that it just didn't sound like it was supposed to?)

I also believe Townsend has retarded timing. Which isn't always bad thing. He just couldn't play classical music with his timing. It would drive him insane. Neil Young, Mark Knopfler, Kurt Cobain all have retarded timing. Each of them have a hitch in their time. It's what makes them unique. It's also why I believe the Who's music didn't sound like a regurgitation of older styles. Townsend's rhythm in a technical sense was that bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT